Wildcat Attack! Part Two.

Started by Cornflower MM, September 06, 2014, 08:40:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jetthebinturong

OOC: Did Feshr mean he wanted to catch Dave and kill him or just that he wanted to mount another attack?

Jeboran sat at the side of the pond, flinging stones into the water. How could David possibly be so stupid? More importantly, how could he be stupid? How could he let his guard down? How could he fail so completely at stopping Dave? How could he not even fight for a second? The fox growled, his throws becoming more wild, more forceful, more savage. Why was he such an idiot? Why did he care about Dave? Why did he care about anyone?  It certainly wasn't his upbringing, his parents had raised him to care only for himself. He swore and flung a rock so hard that it hit the opposite bank. What was wrong with him?
"In the meantime, no one should roam the camp alone. Use the buddy system."
"Understood." Will looked at Nico. "Will you be my buddy?"
"You're a dork," Nico announced.
~ The Hidden Oracle, Rick Riordan

The Skarzs

Argunath waited until Arya was inside the building before turning and striding deliberately to the wall and above the main gate. Taking a quick glance around to make sure nobeast saw him, he swung his body over the wall, and then let his grip on the wall go to drop the rest of the way. He could have gone through the gate, but that would only make it obvious that somebeast left. . . as well as leave the abbey weakened.

Thankfully the drop was easily made by a cat his size, and the cougar chuckled dryly as he remembered the saying "all cats land on their feet"; at least it proved correct this time. After using a moment to swallow the jabbing pain in his leg, as well as checking the wall above, he began walking on the path in the direction he knew the cats to be.

Odd, Argunath thought to himself, that not long before he had walked along the same path as just a traveler. Now he paced it again with an entirely different purpose in mind, and he would not stop this time.

Peering ahead, he saw the horde of cats moving in his direction; they were obviously ready for another attack, but they would have to deal with him first. Drawing his sword, Argunath waited.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Feshr, while urging the cats to hurry forward, noticed a figure standing in the road ahead. He decided he would wait until they got closer to make a solid decision, and he was confident that nobeast would be as insane as to stand in the way of an army of cats. "Let's move!" he yelled.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Jukka the Sling

A few minutes in the orchard had helped calm her nerves, and now Kaylan left, striding purposefully over to the west wall.

Perhaps it was just her imagination, but as she glanced up towards the top of the wall, she thought she saw the edge of something disappearing over the side. Odd, she thought. Maybe it's nothing, but...

The ottermaid increased her pace and reached the wallstairs a couple moments later. Pounding up the steps, she reached the parapet and gazed over the side.

There was nothing to be seen. But somehow, Kaylan felt that something bad had just happened, and she couldn't shake the feeling.
-------------------------
"Aye," Paisley agreed, then fell silent. She marched on, trying to feel more confident about the Abbey's survival. After all, throughout the ages Redwall had weathered many attacks. Surely they would manage to hold these attackers off long enough for the Long Patrol to get there.

The hare turned and looked back at the Patrollers behind her. Somewhere in the army she knew there were two otters and a squirrelmaid hoping their beloved home was safe, and she didn't want to let them down.
"The world is indeed full of peril, and in it there are many dark places; but still there is much that is fair, and though in all lands love is now mingled with grief, it grows perhaps the greater." ~J.R.R. Tolkien

Cornflower MM

Arya was juat heading back outside when she overheard two mice talking. "Aye, I heard the horde's movin' alright. 'Spect there'll be more fightin' soon." One said "That's too bad - I didn't sleep a wink last night, and it looks like I won't be sleeping again this night. Could be fightin', could be dead, could be wouunded. Y'know know." The other replied. The two moved on, chatting animatedly about the impending battle. Arya dashed outside, not bothering to catch the door before it shut with a loud 'Boom!'

Delthion

Feldion was walking around the Abbey grounds, seeing if there was anything left with the preparations. Everybeast that he saw looked tired and scared, and the cougar looked weary; not tired, but weary of fighting a long battle, one that has lasted for a far greater time than this siege. He strode up the wallsteps and looked at the surrounding countryside. It is peaceful for now, but soon the forests and rivers will be red with the blood of cats.
Dreams, dreams are untapped and writhing. How much more real are dreams than that paltry existence which we now call reality? How shall we ascend to that which humanity is destined? By mastering the dreamworld of course. That is how, my pupils, that is how.

Cornflower MM

Arya dashed to the walltops just in time to see the cat army advancing - And Argunath right in their way. The squirrel's heart jumped into her throat as she started climbing down the wall, brush first. I'll never make it in time! Arya thought frantically when she glanced over her shoulder.

The Skarzs

Argunath's eyes reddened to a color not unlike blood, and he advanced upon the approaching army resolutely.

"Come, then, you killers of the peaceful," he growled. "Come and face one who fears you not."

Thankfully it seemed the cats didn't find it necessary to use their archers against one opponent, and the cougar was able to close the gap without resistance, though it was apparent his stubborn approach was making them uneasy. One cat in their midst was urging them on, trying to get the tense cats to just kill the single opponent. When he was only ten yards from the horde, Argunath suddenly burst into a sprint, crying out with a sound between a scream and a roar.

Breaking into their line like it was made of string, the big cat cut down his enemies as if they were wheat before the scythe. His sword hacked and slashed, stabbed and chopped as if it had a mind unto its own, while with his other paw Argunath grappled with those who came in too close. Soon he was standing midst a pile of bodies, and the cats could easily see his terrifying form.

Shining red eyes peered out over a snout pulled back into a fearsome growl. Battered but impenetrable armor dully reflected the sunlight as it clung to his body like scales, adding to his bulk and demeanor. With one paw he held his dripping, vengeful sword, and in the other was held the limp body of a fallen wildcat.

Tossing the corpse aside, Argunath let his Bloodwrath course through  his veins as he dove once again into battle.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Jukka the Sling

OOC: I'm not sure what to do with the Long Patrol right now...
BIC:

Kaylan had left the walltop just a few moments before the horde advanced, so she was completely unaware of what was happening.

OOC: How close is the horde to Redwall? Should everyone be gathering on the walltop by now?
"The world is indeed full of peril, and in it there are many dark places; but still there is much that is fair, and though in all lands love is now mingled with grief, it grows perhaps the greater." ~J.R.R. Tolkien

The Skarzs

OOC: The hares won't reach Redwall until Argunath has taken out a. . . considerable amount of the cats. And yes, creatures should start gathering.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Jetthebinturong

David, who had been sprinting alongside the horde, hidden in the woods by the side of the path, stopped and stared in horrified fascination as Argunath met with the enemy. So this was the legendary bloodwrath, David could see why all beasts feared those possessed by it.

Jukka the Sling

Somebeast on the wall shouted, "Wildcats are coming!" At once there was a flurry of activity as Abbeybeasts ran for the walltop or their weapons.

Kaylan stopped short and then turned her head slowly toward the walltop, her face betraying nothing of the dread she felt. War was horrible. She had seen beasts die. She had nearly died herself. She didn't want to have to go through it again. Part of her screamed to just go and hide away somewhere in the Abbey until all was over.

But no, I can't do that, the other half of her mind said. I have a duty to these Redwallers. I'm part of Skip's ottercrew, so I have a duty to protect them. They asked for our assistance, and I. Can't. Let. Them. Down. A sudden spark of her usual spunkiness flared into life. Can't. Let. Them. Down, she repeated mentally.

Kaylan took her bow from its usual place on her back, gripping it tightly and still searching inside herself for some hidden reserve of courage. She directed her steps towards the wall above the main gate.

She reached a group of her fellow ottercrew who were pointing and murmuring amongst themselves. Kaylan looked at where they were indicating and saw not only an army of wildcats but a figure scything its way through them. Then it clicked.

"Argunath," she said quietly.

Delthion

Feldion saw the great tumult erupt in the cats ranks. He decided to do the impulsive thing and leaped off the battlements onto a nearby tree limb. He knew that he would probably be scolded by Argunath and he would have to stay far away from him. "But," he thought, "I don't really care." He bound over until he was directly above the cat army then fired twice into their ranks. He then rushed to a tree above their rear flank and leaped down, bringing his spear out from it's place behind his back, dropped down, and hurled himself on the cats.
Dreams, dreams are untapped and writhing. How much more real are dreams than that paltry existence which we now call reality? How shall we ascend to that which humanity is destined? By mastering the dreamworld of course. That is how, my pupils, that is how.

Jetthebinturong

David shook himself out of his stupor, drew his sword and walked calmly into the midst of the cats. Keeping as far away from Argunath as possible, he began his attack, striking out at a ginger wildcat and severing his head. That was sure to get the other's attention. Sure enough, they began to attack him and he met them with a cold expression, a steely determination and a razor sharp blade.

Jeboran mounted the wall "Do you know where David is? Has he come back?" he asked the first person he saw. If anyone knew Dave was back, it would be the sentries.

OOC: Anyone can answer. Dave is in full view, Jeb just isn't paying attention

The Skarzs

Through the haze of Argunath's vision, the cougar saw something go into the fight. . . Did it jump from a tree? A squirrel! Argunath roared, tearing his way through the cats to get to the fighting woodlander.

"Fool!" he bellowed. "Get away!"

Now he was at the squirrel, and he grabbed at the bushy tail to literally toss him away from the battle. The cougar would not allow any of his companions to be harmed during this stage.

OOC: You can decide whether Argunath's action toward Feldion was successful or not, Del.

BIC: Now the big cat searched the horde through the red clouds that shaded his sight to seek out a leader or some kind as he fought doggedly on. He was beginning to tire, and the wounds he was being dealt, despite the protection his armor gave him, were taking their toll. But a few wounds would not stop one so possessed by the Bloodwrath as he, and when he spotted two wildcats well guarded by well-armed cats, Argunath made another surge in attack.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Jukka the Sling

Kaylan stared again at the horde, seeing another figure slashing its way through the cats. Dave? she thought.

Just then the fox who been staying at the Abbey dashed up onto the wall and asked where Dave was. "Dave?" she said. "I think - is that him out there?" She pointed, unsure.