Were the main characters too perfect?

Started by Izeroth, December 15, 2014, 06:16:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cornflower MM

Too perfect? Good question. What one may call too perfect another may call too flawed. . . . It's a matter of opinion, and we could probably stand here until Doomsday arguing about it. But my opinion is no, they aren't 'too perfect.' You just have to find the flaws, and some may not have the patience or time to do that. And some may just plain not care.

Izeroth

Calling them moral drones may not be considerate, but it's true. I would've liked to see more variation-- maybe a few goodbeasts who don't just fight the bad guys because it's "the right thing to do," and actually have other ambitions.

Wylder Treejumper

Excuse me? What about Florian Duggawoof Wilfachop? His only motivation was food. Come to think of it, most hares only wanted food..
"'Tis the business of small minds to shrink, but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death."
-Thomas Paine

"Integrity and firmness is all I can promise; these, be the voyage long or short, shall never forsake me although I may be deserted by all men."
-George Washington

Courage: Not only the willingness to die manfully, but also the determination to live decently.

Hickory

I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

Talinn

Quote from: Izeroth on January 11, 2015, 02:29:04 AM
Calling them moral drones may not be considerate, but it's true. I would've liked to see more variation-- maybe a few goodbeasts who don't just fight the bad guys because it's "the right thing to do," and actually have other ambitions.

True, but I think Martin was writing to his primary audience-children. He could have pulled more of a Don Bluth sort of thing, though, I think, and shown us heroes who came to be good somewhat reluctantly or over time. Think All Dogs Go to Heaven for example.

MeadowR

Yes, some of the characters probably are a bit too perfect - but it can be a problem with lots of characters from other novels and series, too. The fact that people notice and comment on this shows that it does feel a bit too unrealistic for people in terms of like as a 'role model' - or perhaps a bit unfair in my eyes because I know I'd never be as brilliant as these characters seem to be at everything they put their paws to!

At least there are a few of the warrior types and other goodbeasts who do seem to have some flaws. Like the most greedy hares, Matthias's clumsiness, and the grouchy, jealous mousemaid who later became the head nurse or abbess (something like that, anyway). Admitted the last two do grow out of it...
~*Meadow*~

Season Namer 2014