News:

We're doing a read-along of the Redwall series! The current book is The Sable Quean!

Main Menu

Caption This Pic: Tauriel

Started by Jukka the Sling, December 22, 2014, 10:32:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jukka the Sling

An Elfie-selfie!
"The world is indeed full of peril, and in it there are many dark places; but still there is much that is fair, and though in all lands love is now mingled with grief, it grows perhaps the greater." ~J.R.R. Tolkien

Rainshadow

Darnit!  You took my idea!  I was gonna say:  "But first, let me take a selfie."  :P
If you're interested in my art or keeping in touch, I'm active on DeviantArt and Instagram!

Delthion

"I am added to the storyline and am a detriment to the greatness of Tolkien, but I still get a cool dagger."
Dreams, dreams are untapped and writhing. How much more real are dreams than that paltry existence which we now call reality? How shall we ascend to that which humanity is destined? By mastering the dreamworld of course. That is how, my pupils, that is how.

The Skarzs

"All shall see me and despair. . ." :P
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

MatthiasMan

Rainshadow

*Fist bumps Matt*  Awwww yiss.  The selfie game is strong with Tauriel.
If you're interested in my art or keeping in touch, I'm active on DeviantArt and Instagram!

Delthion

"I can't take it anymore! Life just isn't worth living!" *Slits throat.*
Dreams, dreams are untapped and writhing. How much more real are dreams than that paltry existence which we now call reality? How shall we ascend to that which humanity is destined? By mastering the dreamworld of course. That is how, my pupils, that is how.

Jukka the Sling

(WHY IS THERE SO MUCH TAURIEL HATE?! She's not the best character, but she isn't that bad! Legolas wasn't in the Hobbit book ('cause Tolkien hadn't even thought him up yet), but they added him to the movie 'cause he was Thranduil's son and was alive at the time, so it wouldn't make sense for him not to be in it. Hardly anyone complains about that. But Tauriel gets all this hate when she could easily have been a random Elf that just wasn't mentioned in the book. Like Legolas.)

@Matt: Awesome! What did you use to add the text?

Anyway, my caption:

*Tauriel updates her Facebook status with the selfie and this message*

Just about to go kick some Orc butt! #cooldaggers #stupidorcs
"The world is indeed full of peril, and in it there are many dark places; but still there is much that is fair, and though in all lands love is now mingled with grief, it grows perhaps the greater." ~J.R.R. Tolkien

Delthion

Actually, I dislike that they added Legolas just as much as Tauriel, but right now we're focusing on Tauriel, so the dislike of adding Legolas doesn't come into play.

Jukka the Sling

(But it makes perfect sense for Legolas to be in the movie! And I'm glad they made some of the changes they did. The Hobbit (book) reads like a fairytale, what with the silly Rivendell Elves and the troll's magic talking purse. I'm glad they changed that stuff.)

MatthiasMan

I like how they added Tauriek actually. Sure she wasn't in the book, but do you expect every movie to follow the book exactly? Very few movies follow the book at all. Don't expect them to.

Besides, I think Tauriel adds more romance to the story, as there was little to none. I just thought it made the movie nicer. Watching dwarves running after a while gets old so adding a lady with some ninja skills keeps the movie from getting too boring.

Delthion

But it's all a detriment to the creative genius of Tolkien.

Jukka the Sling

(Do you agree with what I said here?)

Quote from: Jukka the Sling on December 23, 2014, 04:30:44 PM
(But it makes perfect sense for Legolas to be in the movie! And I'm glad they made some of the changes they did. The Hobbit (book) reads like a fairytale, what with the silly Rivendell Elves and the troll's magic talking purse. I'm glad they changed that stuff.)

Delthion

No...I mean it does make sense for Legolas to be in it, but he wasn't, so therefore they have made a grave error, by DARING to mess with the story. ;D

Izeroth

Why do I dislike Tauriel? Oh boy...

1: She had some sort of romance with Fili. THAT never happened in the book! Say what you will, but I'm pretty sure Tolkien never intended any elf/dwarf relationships in the hobbit. It is made abundantly clear that the dwarves and elves are not friends, and the only thing that even stops the two parties from killing each other is the timely intervention of Gandalf. You might say Tauriel adds a bit of "romance", but the Hobbit was never supposed to be about romance! It's an adventure novel!

2: How they changed the prison scene. I guess this kinda fits in with no.1, but I wish they'd just kept to the book in this scene. The guard captain gets drunk, the dwarves escape in barrels, and there isn't a single orc to be found. You might say the elves are silly, but I think it adds a bit of much-needed humor.

3: How Tauriel and Legolas heal the dwarves. That never happened in the book, and really never needed to. Again, must I stress the hatred that the elves and dwarves have?

This has nothing to do with Tauriel, but I also really dislike how they added Azog in. They could have used
Bolg to play the exact same part as Azog, but for some absurd reason, they decided to make a major change. Now, there are going to be a bunch of people who only know Tolkien from the movies and will have all their lore messed up and it's just... *slams head into wall*