News:

We're doing a read-along of the Redwall series! The current book is The Sable Quean!

Main Menu

What is your Favorite Movie?

Started by Skalrag of Marshank, August 24, 2011, 09:59:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rainshadow

The Hunger Games!!!

May the odds be ever in your favor!
If you're interested in my art or keeping in touch, I'm active on DeviantArt and Instagram!

LionKing

Chronicles of Narnia, the ghost ship, Triangle, Franken fish and lord of the rings are best movies what I have watched and also these are my favorite movies.
Wallpaper murals and kids wall stickers great for your children's bedroom.

Tiria Wildlough

Quote from: Rainshadow on July 23, 2012, 09:27:55 PM
  I can't remember if I've already posted this, but How to Train Your Dragon.

I love that movie!
My tumblr! not-the-skycat.tumblr.com
I'm not a hipster.

Rainshadow

Can ye tell wot movies I like yet?
If you're interested in my art or keeping in touch, I'm active on DeviantArt and Instagram!

psilocybin

It's hard for me to exactly pin point my favorite movie.  However, I can confidently say that my favorite MOVIES consist of ANY Coen Brother's movie: Fargo, The Big Lebowski, Raising Arizona, Oh Brother, Where Art Thou?, Burn After Reading, No Country For Old Men, and True Grit.

As for other movies that hold special places in my heart, they would have to include any of Daniel Day-Lewis movie: There Will Be Blood, Gangs of New York, Last of the Mohicans, and The Boxer. (He's currently working on a movie in which he plays the role of Abraham Lincoln in a period piece, I can't wait to see that.)

Two movies about one of my favorite authors, Dr. Hunter S. Thompson, include Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas and The Rum Diary, which are both excellent movies in my opinion.

To sum it up I have an odd taste in movies and typically steer clear of the big, over-hyped movies that usually just turn out just awful in my opinion. Usually this a result of too many uncreative people with money getting their dirty hands into the creative process which should be left to writers and directors. That being said, I can still enjoy a good fun and silly movie from time to time, such as some of the comic book or science fiction movies, but those movies are just for fun and they don't really inspire me.

Flandor

Those are all pretty great movies you listed there, psilocybin.  True Grit would be my favorite that you listed; I thought it was an absolutely wonderful film.  The acting was fabulous and the tone was just right.

Gangs of New York and Last of the Mohicans are both classic as well.  Fear and Loathing was good but very, very trippy, which suited Hunter S.' story just fine. 

Oh, and Big Lebowski is excellent.  We have a Big Lebowski night in my town where they play that at the old Riviera theatre and then rent out the local bowling alley all night long.
"Each of us is born to follow a star, be it bright and shining or dark and fated."
-Rillbrook the Wanderer, son of Rillbrook the Wanderer, Grandson of Rillbrook the Wanderer

psilocybin

I'm glad to hear you share the same taste in movies that I have. Yes, True Grit was an excellent movie. That 14 year old girl's performance was simply amazing, with her going toe to toe with likes of movie juggernauts such as Jeff Bridges, Matt Damon, and Josh Brolin. What is also interesting about that movie is that most of the fans of the original True Grit despised it, even though it did the book it was based off far more justice than the John Wayne version, which in my opinion, was campy.

As for The Big Lebowski, which is one of the biggest cult classics of all time at this point, my home town Louisville, Kentucky actually holds similar annual event called Lebowski Fest.  I've never attended but I certainly plan too at some point.

Flandor

The John Wayne version doesn't even hold a candle to the new one.  It was nothing like the book.  Campy would be just the word for it.  Some movies need remakes, and that was one of them.  It's not like they redid something like Rebel Without a Cause (which should never, ever be remade).  I agree about the young girl's acting; the scene when she is bartering with the merchant is absolutely perfect.  She really had a sense of confidence and guts that shone through in her performance.

Did you ever see the movie Transsiberian? It is simply beyond words.  It's available on Netflix.  The plot is that a young missionary couple end up taking the Transsiberian railroad home from China, but their trip spirals into some very dark events.  It's the perfect thriller.  There are no supernatural elements, no unnecessary explosions or violence, no obscene gore, but it is absolutely riveting.  Thought not recommended to any younger members here, it's very definitely an R movie.

Another favorite of mine is the old film noir, Double Indemnity.
"Each of us is born to follow a star, be it bright and shining or dark and fated."
-Rillbrook the Wanderer, son of Rillbrook the Wanderer, Grandson of Rillbrook the Wanderer

psilocybin

Unfortunately I have not seen either of those movies, though Transsiberian has been on my short list of must see movies for awhile, I've heard good things.

Flandor

Well, for want of not spoiling endings, I'll leave it at highly recommending both of them.  My true passion is for non-Disney animated films, but I love a well-made drama or thriller as well.  And I love cheesy old movies, which started because I've been a die-hard Mystery Science Theatre 3000 fan since childhood.  But I digress.

Rainshadow

Redwallfan7

These are my top 18 favorite movies for now. Some titles could change in the future, but so far it's:

1.   The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe
2.   The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian
3.   All Dogs go to Heaven
4.   Wizards of Waverly Place the Movie
5.   Molly: An American Girl on the Home Front
6.   Brave
7.   Stuart Little
8.   Home Alone
9.   Home Alone 2: Lost in New York
10.   Night at the Museum
11.   Cats and Dogs
12.   The Last Song
13.   Selena
14.   Madeline
15.   Matilda
16.   Soul Surfer
17.   InkHeart
18.   The Adjustment Bureau
"There's some good in this world, Mr.Frodo, and it's worth fighting for."-Samwise Gamgee from The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers

Rusvul

Quote from: Tiria Wildlough on July 26, 2012, 10:11:10 AM
Quote from: Rainshadow on July 23, 2012, 09:27:55 PM
  I can't remember if I've already posted this, but How to Train Your Dragon.

I love that movie!
the books are better than the movie. but they are all good.

Reagen Bailey

To pick only one favorite movie is impossible!!!! ::) Here's my list;

Seven Samurai
Shawshank Redemption
The Green Mile
Final Destination 3
Love Exposure
Inception
Fight Club
Kung Fu Panda
Gone With The Wind
Many professional SEO companies are UK based.
A good SEO company will have testimonials.

Flandor

Welcome to the forum, Reagen :) There's a topic in the Front Lawns section to introduce yourself if you're so inclined.

Some good choices of movies! Shawshank and Fight Club are some of my favorites.