News:

Cheers to an Auspicious Autumn, Ev'rybeast! Enjoy a hot cider and the cool breezes, as the year dwindles to its end. . .

Main Menu

Skulduggery Pleasant

Started by Jetthebinturong, January 12, 2015, 08:16:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jetthebinturong

There is little I can say that is not in this video

Other than that I'll say this, Landy absolutely nails fight scenes and battles. Normally they're the weaker parts of a story and if they drag on too long they can be boring, not so here. Landy can write like extremely well.

I recommend these books to everyone who has ever lived

Do yourself a favour

READ THEM

Please, I need someone to talk about them with
"In the meantime, no one should roam the camp alone. Use the buddy system."
"Understood." Will looked at Nico. "Will you be my buddy?"
"You're a dork," Nico announced.
~ The Hidden Oracle, Rick Riordan

The Mask

I've read them all! They're really good. I love Ghastly :D
I am a squirrel, an otter, a mouse, a fox, a stoat, a ferret, a weasel, a wildcat, a hare, a hedgehog, a badger; I am the master of disguises, The Mask.

" I will burn the heart out of you." Moriarty, Sherlock

Lady Ashenwyte

I saw them at my local Popular a few days ago. I might pick 'em up in June, I have way too many books to read these few months.  :P
The fastest way to a man's heart- Or anyone's, in fact- Is to tear a hole through their chest.

Indeed. You are as ancient as the soot that choked Pompeii into oblivion, though not quite as uncaring. - Rusvul

Just a butterfly struggling through my chrysalis.

The Mask

Trust me, they aren't. You get hooked.
I am a squirrel, an otter, a mouse, a fox, a stoat, a ferret, a weasel, a wildcat, a hare, a hedgehog, a badger; I am the master of disguises, The Mask.

Jetthebinturong

I absolutely loved

Death Bringer

Darquesse's duel with Vile, it was so epic and Skulduggery being Vile was something that I definitely did not expect
[close]

I think my favourite book is either Death Bringer or The Dying of the Light

Oh and

Last Stand of Dead Men

The Ravel is gold-eyes plot twist was so good. I find myself wondering if, when Val first met Ravel, it was mentioned that he had golden eyes but never again, that would be cool.
[close]

And

The Dying of the Light

The way Skulduggery escaped death was hilarious

TAKE THAT ERSKINE YOU TRAITOROUS DOG
[close]

The Mask

Dying of the light

I totally loved it at the end how he was like 'to honor skulduggery' and Val was just like 'wut, he isn't dead. ::)I'm so bad at quotes.
[close]

Jetthebinturong

The Dying of the Light

I really want to know who sent Cadaverous Gant to kill Val and why. YOU CAN'T JUST LEAVE A MYSTERY LIKE THAT IN A SERIES ABOUT DETECTIVES!
[close]

The Mask

I know right? Perhaps you should just put a spoiler warning in the title, its hard making spoiler boxes on an ipad.

Jetthebinturong

Literal book titles:

Skulduggery Pleasant: A twelve year-old girl and a skeleton in a suit try to save the world from a nefarious plot
Playing With Fire: Fire is not actually important to this story
The Faceless Ones: Do panic, they're coming
Dark Days: Maybe you shouldn't have framed that guy
Mortal Coil: Shadows fly around and inhabit peoples' bodies while they search for their messiah
Death Bringer: The necromancers get tired of waiting for their messiah so they create one instead
Kingdom of the Wicked: Those children are not supposed to be magical
Tanith Low in the Maleficent Seven: Bad guys help a mastermind search for god-killing weapons because they owe her a favour
Last Stand of Dead Men: We all curse his name now, right? (You know who I mean, people who've read it)
The Dying of the Light: The Earth is doomed

Jetthebinturong

So what do the people who've read it think of the official character art? I like it for the most part but WHAT DID THEY DO TO SOLOMON? Seriously what? But my dream cast for him is totally Alan Rickman (Snape) now

And they totally ruined my headcanon for Fletch. I was always picturing him as like a tall, lanky dude with ginger Sonic the Hedgehog hair not as a bland, adult-looking guy with blond hair that looks like he was trying to be a punk but failed.

And why is China Asian-looking? The books never once describe her like that. I know her name is China but she is IRISH. All of the main characters except for Tanith are IRISH. They live in IRELAND (except Mr. Bliss (but he was originally Irish) Billy-Ray Sanguine and Dreylan Scarab).

Also, let's talk dreamcasting. The only ones I've got are:
Alan Rickman as Solomon Wreath
Ian McKellan as Eachan Meritorious, Kenspeckle Grouse, Dreylan Scarab or Thurid Guild
Skandar Keynes as Caelan
Christopher Lee as Baron Vengeous
Kingdom of the Wicked
Lee Pace as Mevolent
[close]
And, provided he can do a good Irish accent, Benedict Cumberbatch as Skulduggery Pleasant (BC's Sherlock is basically exactly how I picture Skulduggery's human disguise)

EDIT: Gary Oldman as the Torment
If David Tennant dyed his hair blond and could do a good Texan accent then I could totally see him as Billy-Ray Sanguine
Christopher Eccleston as Nefarian Serpine

The Mask

I totally agree. Fletcher looks absolutely pathetic. I don't China looks exactly Oriental, but she most definitely isn't pretty.

I think that if Vin Diesal buffed down a bit, he'd be an okay *sob* Ghastly. I'm not sure about Cumberbatch though. I don't think he could pull off Skulduggery's wit. I don't think any actors could.

Jetthebinturong

Yeah, Skulduggery's the hardest to cast because he's so utterly unique. I'm not saying that the other characters aren't but you can usually find a character that is like Valkyrie or Tanith but I can't think of anyone who is similar to Skulduggery

Playing With Fire

Derek Landy as Gordon Edgely, this has to happen
[close]

Who's a slightly creepy, tall, muscly guy who can play Anton Shudder?

I want to cast all of the Dead Men but I can't

Oh and after reading Caelan's introductory short story, Friday Night Fights, I'm kind of annoyed at where Landy decided to take his character. He started off so interesting and complex and then Mortal Coil and Death Bringer happened

Caelan's backstory and Death Bringer

He was a vampire who got captured by these mortals who had these fight pits and he was basically used as entertainment for mortals who deserved to be killed. He goes on hunger strike so that he won't get forced into another fight and that's how he and Val meet and it's such an interesting story and it makes me wonder how Val and Fletch could just so callously murder him as if he was just another creepy vampire. His obsession was HER FAULT, she convinced him into drinking her blood and he told her the risks and she was like "I have to know please do it". Couldn't they try to do something about it instead of just dissolving him in salt water? Caelan did not deserve to die.
[close]

EDIT: TOM HIDDLESTON FOR ERSKINE RAVEL

Jetthebinturong

The Mask

Okay, that's really cool!!

Jetthebinturong

Thanks. I also made the first scene of PWF with Tanith and Springheeled Jack, the recovery of the Grotesquery and the scene in the church when Vengeous brings the Grotesquery back to life. I plan on making a scene with Val and Sanguine in one of his tunnels next.

Also, having listened to the audiobook of the first book, I have come to the conclusion that Rupert Degas is the ideal choice for the voice of Skulduggery