News:

We're doing a read-along of the Redwall series! The current book is The Sable Quean!

Main Menu

The Academic Thread

Started by Skyblade, January 21, 2015, 02:34:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

What year do you graduate from high school?

Already graduated
6 (20.7%)
2015 (this year)
0 (0%)
2016 (next year)
4 (13.8%)
2017 (etc.)
3 (10.3%)
3 (10.3%)
3 (10.3%)
4 (13.8%)
After 2020
6 (20.7%)

Total Members Voted: 29

Eulaliaaa!

I haven't seen it, actually.
Just pretend there is something interesting and unique written here... I have nothing to say.

Skyblade

Quote from: Eulaliaaa! on July 22, 2015, 10:31:56 PM
Odd... how many high schoolers know exactly what they're going to do for a career? I'll be an author, and I'm going into the Army (maybe an Army Ranger... that's what I'm going for). I've already finished my book, now I'm looking for an editor to send it to (when I'm done proof reading).

Sounds great.

I'm almost done with high school and I don't know :P Consider yourself blessed.

Thanks, MatthiasMan, for the avatar!

Banya

I just found out that I'm getting academic credit for this summer job.  It's their way of bypassing the proper visa process, since the Turkish work permits were taking too long to come through.  We entered Turkey with special student visas, and giving us a transcript and academic internship credit is the only way they've found that they can pay non-Turkish citizens without a work permit.  I'm happy with the way this has turned out.

Skyblade

Great!

I sound fake, but I'm just trying not to be saccharine :P 99% of the time, I'm being serious.

Banya

You don't sound fake.  Even if you were being sarcastic, I think it's great, so I wouldn't care.

Hickory

My sister wan to be a Marine biologist; at least she likes it... For sure I'll do something with my viola, but writing, (thanks Brian and every writer ever) is my thing.
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

Lutra

Graduated what seems like ages ago (2002).

I've skimmed the thread a bit.  For those who are graduating soon, or will be in the next few years, just a piece of advice.  You never truly know what you will do or what you are capable of until you try and you might be surprised at where life takes you--even if it goes away from your original decision.  I had no real plan upon graduating, except attend a two year school and get a generic associates degree in liberal arts that will basically go towards anything.  Its a good start to get your feet wet with the scheduling of classes, homework and papers to complete, and hopefully won't be a waste of money starting off with a degree (or decision) you later decided you didn't want.  I didn't know until my second year in school that I truly could be a teacher, that I wanted to be a teacher, or that I would be good as a teacher.  Fast forward to the real work world and I ended up teaching in a tough school, in fields and with students I never thought I would be able to handle.  Glad my life took me here since I feel I can handle just about any situation thrown at me in the career.  :)

So be prepared for some things that get in the way---and maybe they're not all bad. ;)
Ya Ottah! ~ Sierra

MatthiasMan

I graduate in 2018. Man, I'm so sad the first year of high school is already. Only three more years of it. Really, Gonzaga is the best place I've ever been; I wouldn't want to be anywhere else.

Skyblade

Lutra, that sounds great. Thank you for the advice.

I wish you all the best in your academic endeavors. Keep calm and battle on.

Wylder Treejumper

Well, I'm either crazy, have a death wish, or both. I'll either be attending college early and graduate with my associates degree or be taking 5 AP classes at the same time. In addition, due to weird class arrangements, I've skipped a year (or half of one, anyways) of math- therefore I'll be taking calculus without having taken pre-calculus. I am now studying like mad to learn what a derivative is and how to use it in the remaining 4 days before the school year begins- and that's not even counting my summer assignments.

And that's the improved version of my schedule.
"'Tis the business of small minds to shrink, but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death."
-Thomas Paine

"Integrity and firmness is all I can promise; these, be the voyage long or short, shall never forsake me although I may be deserted by all men."
-George Washington

Courage: Not only the willingness to die manfully, but also the determination to live decently.

Skyblade

And I was complaining about my own academic life...

We wish you only the best. Please don't overwork or burn yourself out. It sucks. I reckon you know that already, though, which should give you more reason not to do it again! Life is short, might as well do our best to enjoy it. So please rest enough.

Feel free to PM me if you need anything.

Wylder Treejumper

*sigh* Worst part of it is, I still don't know what school I'm going to... :P

Ah, well. I'm sure I'll be fine. I've survived what, 8 years of school? This can't be that much worse. It's just absolutely impossible for me  to take anything less than the most challenging classes possible- even if I hate the subject *coughenglishcough*

Still, I can't be studying that frantically- I'm on here, aren't I? I think I've got it mostly down. Review basic parent functions, take a quick look at limits and derivatives on KhanAcademy and check out a couple very useful although slightly insulting (I am not a dummy, thank you very much. At least, not about math, anyways) books, and I've pretty much got the basic idea.

To me, burnout is the definition of school. A necessary evil, so it is. See, what I really need is a time-turner, like from Harry Potter! Then, I could do school, homework would take up no time, I could do whatever I wanted and I'd have clones! Now why doesn't somebody invent one of those... *scribbles notes*
"'Tis the business of small minds to shrink, but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death."
-Thomas Paine

"Integrity and firmness is all I can promise; these, be the voyage long or short, shall never forsake me although I may be deserted by all men."
-George Washington

Courage: Not only the willingness to die manfully, but also the determination to live decently.

Skyblade

I don't understand everything you're going through. However, I understand your turmoil - to an extent.

School is rough. It sucks sometimes. But there are good things about it too, trust me. It is amazing we even get an education.

I'm not sure what else to say. Not stressing out from school is a very difficult thing to do. But rest assured that it will all pay off in the end.

Plus, who said taking challenging courses is all bad? It shows where you are in your class: at the top.

Life is not just what happens to us, but how we view what happens to us. You're a fine person with good qualities; clearly, you're a good student and that's a blessing. I could compliment you more, Wylder, but some people don't like that.

Not sure how much this helps :P But I felt like writing it.

- Sky

James Gryphon

Just signed up for another course. I'm already worried.
« Subject to editing »

Vilu Daskar

Never trust a smiling pirate.  :D

I can do that because I'm awesome.

"It really gets up my nose when publishers call my book another Lord of the Rings. It's my bloody book! I wrote it. And another thing, I didn't have to plunder Norse and European mythology to do it!" - Brian Jacques.