News:

Cheers to an Auspicious Autumn, Ev'rybeast! Enjoy a hot cider and the cool breezes, as the year dwindles to its end. . .

Main Menu

What are your favorite Bible verses?

Started by Icefire, August 29, 2011, 03:45:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

psilocybin

Let me first clarify my stance before I share my favorite bible verses. I am not a practicing Christian, I was raised in a Christian household and at one point I was a believer. However, as I grew older and began learning more about human history, science, and other world religions I became increasingly disenchanted with whole notion of religion in my personal life.  However, I do respect Christians and their beliefs, and I understand there can be positive benefits through having strong faith.  Let's face it, this world is big and scary and the thought that there is some benevolent all-knowing being watching over all of us can be very comforting to some.  

The following are some of my favorite disturbing verses which contributed to my current view of Christianity.

Slaves, obey your human masters in everything, not only when being watched, as currying favor, but in simplicity of heart, fearing the Lord.   (Colossians 3:22 NAB) (Condoning slavery, simply evil)

Withhold not chastisement from a boy; if you beat him with a rod he will not die.  Beat him with the rod, and you will save him from the nether world.   (Proverbs 23:13-14 NAB) (Abuse your children)

"Make ready to slaughter his sons for the guilt of their fathers; Lest they rise and possess the earth, and fill the breadth of the world with tyrants."   (Isaiah 14:21 NAB) (Condones the murder of the sons of sinners.)

When a man strikes his male or female slave with a rod so hard that the slave dies under his hand, he shall be punished.  If, however, the slave survives for a day or two, he is not to be punished, since the slave is his own property."   Exodus 21:20-21 NAB (Beating your slave is okay as long he does not die)

"Happy those who seize your children and smash them against a rock." Psalms 137:9 NAB

These are just a handful of disturbing verses, there are many more.

UNKN0WN

I love Kent Hovind's seminars!!!  They are so educational :); in fact, I threw out the theory of evolution as being relevant after watching his seminars.

UNKN0WN

Quote from: psilocybin on July 26, 2012, 05:46:44 PM
Let me first clarify my stance before I share my favorite bible verses. I am not a practicing Christian, I was raised in a Christian household and at one point I was a believer. However, as I grew older and began learning more about human history, science, and other world religions I became increasingly disenchanted with whole notion of religion in my personal life.  However, I do respect Christians and their beliefs, and I understand there can be positive benefits through having strong faith.  Let's face it, this world is big and scary and the thought that there is some benevolent all-knowing being watching over all of us can be very comforting to some.  

The following are some of my favorite disturbing verses which contributed to my current view of Christianity.

Slaves, obey your human masters in everything, not only when being watched, as currying favor, but in simplicity of heart, fearing the Lord.   (Colossians 3:22 NAB) (Condoning slavery, simply evil)

Withhold not chastisement from a boy; if you beat him with a rod he will not die.  Beat him with the rod, and you will save him from the nether world.   (Proverbs 23:13-14 NAB) (Abuse your children)

"Make ready to slaughter his sons for the guilt of their fathers; Lest they rise and possess the earth, and fill the breadth of the world with tyrants."   (Isaiah 14:21 NAB) (Condones the murder of the sons of sinners.)

When a man strikes his male or female slave with a rod so hard that the slave dies under his hand, he shall be punished.  If, however, the slave survives for a day or two, he is not to be punished, since the slave is his own property."   Exodus 21:20-21 NAB (Beating your slave is okay as long he does not die)

"Happy those who seize your children and smash them against a rock." Psalms 137:9 NAB

These are just a handful of disturbing verses, there are many more.

you shouldn't pick and choose verses.  You are taking them out of context.

Tiria Wildlough

True, you seem the like the ones about punishing people and killing them. :-\
My tumblr! not-the-skycat.tumblr.com
I'm not a hipster.

Dannflower Reguba

Notice he said they were disturbing.

I have to say my favorite is Hebrews 13:5b... If you're too lazy to look it up on Biblegateway (cause I know you aren't going to use your bible  ;D) then here it is.

Spoiler
I will never leave you, I will never forsake you.
[close]

Yeah, short I know, but powerful all the same.  :)
"Remember, sometimes is best to be like boomerang and come back." ~ Griffen

Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes. ~ Oscar Wilde

Mistakes can make you grow - That doesn't mean you're friends. ~NF - Remember This

Tiria Wildlough

My tumblr! not-the-skycat.tumblr.com
I'm not a hipster.

Rainshadow

That is a very good verse!  I personally love Proverbs.
If you're interested in my art or keeping in touch, I'm active on DeviantArt and Instagram!

Tarquin L. Woodsorrel

Ephesians 6:10-18. The armor of God. Every time I read it (The bible, not this verse specifically) it amazes me how people will search for years trying to find out how to solve the worlds problems when the answer is staring them right in the face. Mad.
Did you know Woodsorrel is an edible plant that has a taste similar to apples?

Dannflower Reguba

I know it's not the Bible, but I read "The Pilgrim's Progress" for school, and that was a HUGE help, very encouraging and well written.

Mistakes can make you grow - That doesn't mean you're friends. ~NF - Remember This

Leatho Shellhound

There are so many good onces to chose from.
    Take a look at our Abbey's Art Gallery

click the banner

W0NWILL

From the Gospel of the Flying Spaghetti Monster

"I'd really rather you didn't build multimillion-dollar synagogues / churches / temples / mosques / shrines to [His] Noodly Goodness when the money could be better spent ending poverty, curing diseases, living in peace, loving with passion and lowering the cost of cable."

So sayeth the great Servant of Pasta

You asked for a Bible verse. You didn't say which bible.

Leatho Shellhound

W0NWILL, that was NOT callled for, what you wrote has no place here!  In fact it is blaspheme! I can't say how mad I was about what you wrote, so unless you are going to read all the Bible verses (The True Christian one) or write a true one, than stay out of here!
    Take a look at our Abbey's Art Gallery

click the banner

Mattio

WONWILL that was a bit too far even if I don't entirely disagree

Lily

Calm down please, everyone, and let's be respectful. If this turns into an argument then I will lock this topic.

Dannflower Reguba

Quote from: W0NWILL on January 22, 2013, 08:50:33 PM

From the Gospel of the Flying Spaghetti Monster

"I'd really rather you didn't build multimillion-dollar synagogues / churches / temples / mosques / shrines to [His] Noodly Goodness when the money could be better spent ending poverty, curing diseases, living in peace, loving with passion and lowering the cost of cable."

So sayeth the great Servant of Pasta

You asked for a Bible verse. You didn't say which bible.

That's not a bible, that's an Atheist joke. It was on Nightline once, and that's actually being quite rude to those of us who are taking this topic seriously. Not something to get bent out of shape over, but that wasn't nice.