News:

For some, the heat of summer nears its end. . . And for others, the blooms of spring appear.

Main Menu

Crazy Facts and Myths Debunked

Started by Skyblade, February 07, 2015, 01:53:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jetthebinturong

Well I personally don't care what they do to other animals (unless it's pets), that's their natural right as predators but I would attempt to defend myself if I was attacked. I consider it animal rights to attack humans as they see fit, we do them more harm than good and in return we should not expect love and affection. (I plan to never have a dog or a caged animal because they are dependent on humans and that makes me sad)
"In the meantime, no one should roam the camp alone. Use the buddy system."
"Understood." Will looked at Nico. "Will you be my buddy?"
"You're a dork," Nico announced.
~ The Hidden Oracle, Rick Riordan

The Mask

Was it bothering you? No? Why kill it then, because what it MIGHT do? Seems a bit unfair. That's like killing anyone with mental problems because they might be psychopaths. I've had snakes more poisonous a metre away from me and I didn't bother it therefore, it didn't bother me. In Australia, you attempt to harm a snake, and it's a couple of hundred bucks! And these snakes are almost all MORE dangerous than a rattlesnake.

Narwhal horns aren't actually growing from the middle of their mouth, it's actually one of their side teeth!
I am a squirrel, an otter, a mouse, a fox, a stoat, a ferret, a weasel, a wildcat, a hare, a hedgehog, a badger; I am the master of disguises, The Mask.

" I will burn the heart out of you." Moriarty, Sherlock

Lady Ashenwyte

One question, why did you kill them? Snakes are harmless if you leave them alone, and as for they "may" cause injury I'm pretty sure anyone who lives in that area knows how to deal witha snake. Also, killing sunbathing snakes s like this situation = killing dogs on the beach because of the harm they "may" cause.
The fastest way to a man's heart- Or anyone's, in fact- Is to tear a hole through their chest.

Indeed. You are as ancient as the soot that choked Pompeii into oblivion, though not quite as uncaring. - Rusvul

Just a butterfly struggling through my chrysalis.

Mhera

While I don't really agree with killing snakes if they're not in danger of harming anything, can we please stop comparing it murdering people?

Lady Ashenwyte

The fastest way to a man's heart- Or anyone's, in fact- Is to tear a hole through their chest.

Indeed. You are as ancient as the soot that choked Pompeii into oblivion, though not quite as uncaring. - Rusvul

LT Sandpaw

Okay if you want to argue my case for killing the snake I would be more then happy too on a different topic, right now the mods might close this one because its getting off topic about killing snakes. The snakes have been killing our animals and cattle is expensive, I reserve the right to kill and eat the snakes I came across that may be harmful. Do you get mad like this every time you kill a spider or insect, or murder a cockroach in your pantry? Maybe when you murder millions of Bactria by washing your hands. Or when you munch on that burger from McDonalds. Not too burst any bubbles here but your being a bit ridiculous. >:(

Myth: The All spiders are dangerous.

Whoever believes this is off their rocker or never handled large arthropods. Tarantulas and most large spider are nearly harmless to humans and can even be held and kept as pets.

Edit: I apologies if I annoyed anyone but my argument still stands.

"Sometimes its not about winning, but how you lose." - John Gwynne

"Facts don't care about your feelings." -Ben Shapiro

Skyblade

Woah, woah :o Let's calm down before this turns into the debate thread, y'all.

I found these in some National Geographic Kids fact books:
• Bolts of lightning can shoot out of an erupting volcano
• Red rain has fallen in parts of Asia
• A peanut is not a nut (I don't know why)
• A cheetah can turn in midair while it's running
• Wearing a hat on your head can warm your feet
• Some sand dunes bark
• If grasshoppers were the size of humans, they could leap across a basketball court

Thanks, MatthiasMan, for the avatar!

Lady Ashenwyte

Quote from: Skyblade on February 25, 2015, 11:18:14 AM

• Red rain has fallen in parts of Asia

Me grand dad lives there. Also, let's stop argument.

LT Sandpaw

Quote from: Skyblade on February 25, 2015, 11:18:14 AM

• Bolts of lightning can shoot out of an erupting volcano

This is true, most people wouldn't know it but lighting bolts come from the ground to the sky not the other way around. ITS A ILLUSION. They could strike from a volcano.

Skyblade

@Lord A: I am from Asia, but have never see red rain. That's so strange.

@Sandpaw: Wait, really? :o

Thanks, MatthiasMan, for the avatar!

Jetthebinturong

No, lightning is attracted to the ground, it comes from the sky. That's why we have earth wires in the UK, when lightning strikes your house, it passes through the earth wire as that is the easiest route for it to follow, the rest of your electrics (and your life) are saved

LT Sandpaw

Lightning goes from the ground up not the other way around. Why do you think you have to ground electricity. Its just the way it looks, it appears to be coming from the sky because of how fast it is.

Jetthebinturong

Ok right, looked it up, here is the real answer

Does lightning strike from the sky down, or the ground up?
The answer is both. Cloud-to-ground lightning comes from the sky down, but the part you see comes from the ground up. A typical cloud-to-ground flash lowers a path of negative electricity (that we cannot see) towards the ground in a series of spurts. Objects on the ground generally have a positive charge. Since opposites attract, an upward streamer is sent out from the object about to be struck. When these two paths meet, a return stroke zips back up to the sky. It is the return stroke that produces the visible flash, but it all happens so fast - in about one-millionth of a second - so the human eye doesn't see the actual formation of the stroke.

Even if this were not the case, it wouldn't make sense for you to have to ground electricity that came from the ground

The Skarzs

There is also cloud-to-cloud lightening. Also, the lightening from volcanic eruptions is just the same as that in a a thunder storm: static electricity either way.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Izeroth