News:

For some, the heat of summer nears its end. . . And for others, the blooms of spring appear.

Main Menu

Disappointing Movies

Started by Eulaliaaa!, February 09, 2015, 04:22:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Mask

Quote from: Jetthebinturong on February 09, 2015, 09:29:13 PM
I honestly do not understand the hate for the Star Wars prequels, I hate Jar Jar but that's about it

The Percy Jackson movies
^^^
Wise words.
I am a squirrel, an otter, a mouse, a fox, a stoat, a ferret, a weasel, a wildcat, a hare, a hedgehog, a badger; I am the master of disguises, The Mask.

" I will burn the heart out of you." Moriarty, Sherlock

Cornflower MM

Quote from: Rainshadow on February 09, 2015, 08:29:07 PM
Quote from: Summer Tleo on February 09, 2015, 08:19:57 PM
Personally I didn't like the Narnia movies (They Stunk) and Percy Jackson #1!

I enjoyed The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe, but yeah, the other two weren't very good, in my opinion.  The second one was kinda boring, and the third was like, "...Did they even read the book?"  And yeah, I thought The Lightning Thief was good till I read the book.  Then: "...Did they even read the book?"  Kinda the same for the second film.  I've only seen it once, and that was when it was in theatres, so I may not remember it correctly.  (And I haven't read the book for such a long time, so I don't really remember what happened in the book.)  I think it was a teeny bit closer to the book, but still, it wasn't all that great.

You took the wordsoutta my mouth, Rain! *Holds up hand for high five*

Quote from: LT Sandpaw on February 09, 2015, 02:26:18 PM

Harry Potter and the Order of The Phoenix As a big fan of the Harry Potter world I can honestly say that movie was incredibly bad, not even leaving the original story bad, it was just bad.

As someone who views the HP series as okay (But not brilliant as so many people do, no offense meant Sandy) I have to agree.

Oh, and the first Hobbit movie. *Sigh* I only got halfway through it, and I'm thinking, 'Okay. How much longer can they battle and kill the Orc people?' Five minutes later. . . . 'This is overdone. Oh, LOVELY shot of someone being beheaded! Oooh, maybe they're escaping now!' Ten minutes later. . . . 'Dang it, they're going into battle AGAIN?! Is this necessary?!'
Part of my train of thought all through the half of the movie I've seen. And I was really disappointed by the way the dwarfs are introduced - SO much better in the book. One of my favorite parts, actually. But I did like the way the dwarfs cleaned up in the movie. . . . . That and the handkerchief thing.

Wylder Treejumper

Sure. The Percy Jackson... Well, they were just weird. The Hobbit(s) were way too violent and also a bit plotless, the Narnia movies were boring, Frozen is overhyped... Don't they make good movies anymore? :P
"'Tis the business of small minds to shrink, but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death."
-Thomas Paine

"Integrity and firmness is all I can promise; these, be the voyage long or short, shall never forsake me although I may be deserted by all men."
-George Washington

Courage: Not only the willingness to die manfully, but also the determination to live decently.

The Skarzs

They are running out of ideas.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Izeroth

They aren't running out of ideas; they're just recycling the same stupid plot guidelines. For instance: what if, I don't know, Disney made a major movie that wasn't about a princess? Blasphemy!

Cornflower MM

Quote from: Izeroth on February 11, 2015, 12:24:06 AM
They aren't running out of ideas; they're just recycling the same stupid plot guidelines. For instance: what if, I don't know, Disney made a major movie that wasn't about a princess? Blasphemy!

I'm starting to agree. . . . :P Although, Brave and Tangled were good. Lemme rephrase that - Tangled was awesome! Brave was pretty dang good.

James Gryphon

It might've been before your time, but they've made at least one major film that wasn't about princesses. I think it had something to do with big cats. I heard it did okay at the box office. It seemed like it got decent reviews, too.

;)
« Subject to editing »

Romsca

Quote from: James Gryphon on February 11, 2015, 12:29:34 AM
It might've been before your time, but they've made at least one major film that weren't about princesses. I think it had something to do with big cats. I heard it did okay at the box office. It seemed like it got decent reviews, too.

;)

*holds baby lion up in the air during sunrise and begins singing inarticulately*

Mockingjay was somewhat disappointing. They didn't have to make the last book into two movies.

Izeroth

Unfortunately, it seems all the major book-to-movie finals have been divided into two parts recently. Despite why they say, I'm sure they could keep it in one piece if they tried. As usual, it's about the money.

James Gryphon

QuoteUnfortunately, it seems all the major book-to-movie finals have been divided into two parts recently. Despite why they say, I'm sure they could keep it in one piece if they tried.
While the money is probably a motivating factor, I don't think criticizing them over this is very fair. Making a film out of a book normally entails cutting more than half of the material out of the story. Making two or more films allows them to fit more of the book's material in.

If they did try to squeeze everything into just one film, the same critics that are complaining now about multi-part films would still be there, complaining that they shouldn't have made a movie that was so unfaithful to the books, and saying it would've been better to split it up into more than one part if that's what it took to tell the story. You can't have it both ways.
« Subject to editing »

Eulaliaaa!

All the Hunger Games movies were disappointing. I don't like the books either, maybe it's just me  ;D
Just pretend there is something interesting and unique written here... I have nothing to say.

Lady Ashenwyte

Anyone who watched the new Night at the Museum or Seventh Son here? I'm thinking of seeing them in theatres.
The fastest way to a man's heart- Or anyone's, in fact- Is to tear a hole through their chest.

Indeed. You are as ancient as the soot that choked Pompeii into oblivion, though not quite as uncaring. - Rusvul

Just a butterfly struggling through my chrysalis.

Cornflower MM

Hey, there's a third Night at the Museum? Awesome! (First 'un was better, but I like them both)

MeadowR

Quote from: Rainshadow on February 09, 2015, 08:23:57 AM
  Eragon.  I don't even wanna talk about it.  I just... ugh.  I mean, I thought it was a cool film before I read the book, but afterwards?  *Shudders*

Yeah! They made a right dogs' dinner of Eragon. Changed way too much. But even watching it as a film of its own without thinking too much on the book, I found it pretty boring. One of the few DVDs I've owned that I have carboot saled.
~*Meadow*~

Season Namer 2014

Eulaliaaa!

I don't think the new Night at the Museum will be good. Movies tend to be bad after the first one, I doubt this'll be worth watching.
Just pretend there is something interesting and unique written here... I have nothing to say.