News:

For some, the heat of summer nears its end. . . And for others, the blooms of spring appear.

Main Menu

Non-English languages

Started by James Gryphon, February 09, 2015, 07:43:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

James Gryphon

I was curious as to how many of y'all speak, read or write languages besides English, and figured it couldn't hurt to make a topic asking about it.

I'm sadly monolingual at the moment, but I would like to learn Spanish sometime; it's a very practical language to know if you're in Texas.
« Subject to editing »

Hickory

Sí, el español es un idioma muy útil. como puedes ver, lo hablo yo.

Yes, I speak Spanish.

Jag talar svenska.
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

Summer Tleo

I'm Learning Irish!

Bean: Woman
Fear: Man

Pronounced Bon and Far!

Izeroth

I'm learning Latin!

Mea nomen est Izeroth.

Eulaliaaa!

I'm studying Latin, but I certainly can't speak it! Honestly, I don't like Latin. It's hard and I don't see where I would put it to good use everyday (or at all). Though the school I go to requires me to learn it, I'm on my third year...
Just pretend there is something interesting and unique written here... I have nothing to say.

Delthion

Quote from: Summer Tleo on February 10, 2015, 12:29:23 AM
I'm Learning Irish!

Bean: Woman
Fear: Man

Pronounced Bon and Far!

WHAT??!! THAT IS AWESOME!!! I'VE WANTED TO LEARN IRISH FOR A WHILE! THAT IS SO COOL!!!! ;D ;D

Quote from: Izeroth on February 10, 2015, 01:28:13 AM
I'm learning Latin!

Mea nomen est Izeroth.

Shouldn't it be "meum"? Nomen I believe is a third declension neuter noun. I'm not positive though...
Dreams, dreams are untapped and writhing. How much more real are dreams than that paltry existence which we now call reality? How shall we ascend to that which humanity is destined? By mastering the dreamworld of course. That is how, my pupils, that is how.

Skyblade

I kind of speak Korean, my native language. And I'm learning Spanish in school. It's pretty tough because it's an IB course :o

Thanks, MatthiasMan, for the avatar!

Mhera

I'm taking Latin as well. While it's not the most useful language, I enjoy it and understand English better because of it (e.g. I didn't understand what direct objects were until I started learning Latin).

Wot, wot!

Cool! I'm taking Latin too. If only I could understand it ;)...
"Get him! Grab that spy! I want his head!"
Basil chuckled. "What's the matter? Isn't your own head good enough? No, I don't suppose it is. Ugly-looking brute, aren't you?" -Basil to Cluny the Scourge (Redwall)

"The second you change "I can't" into "why not", you can do anything in the world."

The Mask

I'm learning Japanese and Hindi at the moment. Considering Mandarin as well to make my mind implode.
I am a squirrel, an otter, a mouse, a fox, a stoat, a ferret, a weasel, a wildcat, a hare, a hedgehog, a badger; I am the master of disguises, The Mask.

" I will burn the heart out of you." Moriarty, Sherlock

Hickory

Quote from: Eulaliaaa! on February 10, 2015, 01:31:05 AM
I'm studying Latin, but I certainly can't speak it! Honestly, I don't like Latin. It's hard and I don't see where I would put it to good use everyday (or at all). Though the school I go to requires me to learn it, I'm on my third year...
Latin is indeed a hard to learn language, but much of English is based off of it and learning it will help you understnad prefixes and suffixes
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

Banya

This thread ist sehr interessant, I am surprised by how many of you are learning Latin.  You may as well bring it back as a spoken language and start a thread where you just speak Latin with each other.  :)

I speak Arabic at a conversational level, but I honestly don't love it.  The forum here won't let me post in Arabic script. Writing is easy but the spoken language is difficult.
Ich spreche Deutsch auch, aber ich bin fließend nicht.  Ich liebe es.  I own a German copy of Harry Potter und der Stein der Weisen (Philosopher's Stone) and it's not at all a difficult read.

Eulaliaaa!

A thread where we only speak Latin? I'd die! I'm so bad at Latin, no one would know what I was saying!  :D
Just pretend there is something interesting and unique written here... I have nothing to say.

Abbess Mhera

Je adore ce fil :). Je suis un quart français, et quand je étais plus jeune, je ai eu deux mois de cours de français. Je ai continué à enseigner à moi-même, et maintenant je le parle couramment.

I speak French as you can see :). English is my first language, and I know a few words in Dutch and did study Italian in school.

Blaggut

I was learning Latin but then forgot and and am gunna start soon. I know a bit. I wanna learn Greek because that will help with most other langauges, being the mother of them all, as my pater (father) says. Till then, all I know I Ubi Est Graecia. (Where Be Dat Greece At Gurl?)
~Just a soft space boi~