News:

We're doing a read-along of the Redwall series! The current book is The Sable Quean!

Main Menu

Book Suggestions Topic

Started by Hickory, February 13, 2015, 11:07:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CaptainRocktree

I recommend "Redwall" by Brian Jacques, has anyone ever read it? its a great series.  ;)
Not all those who wander are lost.
J.R.R Tolkien

BlueRose

Har har har.

Ooh, more  historical fiction! The Book Thief and Codename Verity. Those two made me cry. Both WWII. Can't remember the authors names, sorry.
Was anyone else on the old DAB forum, circa 2009? I was recently reminded of it, lol.

Bitterly jittery, and not very glittery.

Mhera

The Book Thief was so bittersweet. :'(

Luftwaffles

Quote from: BlueRose on March 08, 2015, 09:41:48 PM
Har har har.

Ooh, more  historical fiction! The Book Thief and Codename Verity. Those two made me cry. Both WWII. Can't remember the authors names, sorry.

Markus Zusak and Elizabeth Wein respectively ;)
~Please be sure to join us if ever you are passing~.

Having problems joining the board or accessing your account? E-mail us! Have Redwall news or artwork to share? Tweet us!

BlueRose

Quote from: Mhera on March 08, 2015, 10:15:21 PM
The Book Thief was so bittersweet. :'(

Like I said, it made me cry.

Quote from: TheTaleOfSierra on March 08, 2015, 10:46:19 PM
Har har har.

Markus Zusak and Elizabeth Wein respectively ;)

Ooh, you're handy to have around.
Was anyone else on the old DAB forum, circa 2009? I was recently reminded of it, lol.

Bitterly jittery, and not very glittery.

Luftwaffles

Having problems joining the board or accessing your account? E-mail us! Have Redwall news or artwork to share? Tweet us!

Hickory

Har har har.

Ooh, more  historical fiction! The Book Thief and Codename Verity. Those two made me cry. Both WWII. Can't remember the authors names, sorry.
Bokk Thief is... *shudders with delight*

Should anybody have read that book, or just wants realistic fiction, try A Long Walk to Water.
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

Banya

Quote from: Sagetip, the hare on March 09, 2015, 09:33:46 PM
Bokk Thief is... *shudders with delight*

Should anybody have read that book, or just wants realistic fiction, try A Long Walk to Water.

Yes.

I also recommend Gone with the Wind and The Secret Life of Bees for some more incredible fiction.

Eulaliaaa!

Revive!

Does anybody know of a good book that I would be interested in? Kind of a science fiction sort of book. Something that has lots of action. No magic though, I can't stand that stuff (magic like witchcraft, spells, necromancy, demons, stuff like that). Any ideas?
Just pretend there is something interesting and unique written here... I have nothing to say.

Delthion

If you're a Christian and you aren't bugged by a lot of spiritual stuff then I would recommend the Peleg Chronicles. Great book series, they are a little short though. But great writing, really brings you into the story.
Dreams, dreams are untapped and writhing. How much more real are dreams than that paltry existence which we now call reality? How shall we ascend to that which humanity is destined? By mastering the dreamworld of course. That is how, my pupils, that is how.

Eulaliaaa!

I am a follower of Christ. I'll be sure to check it out  :P
Just pretend there is something interesting and unique written here... I have nothing to say.

Banya

I'm not a fan of sorcery (outside of HP), and I enjoyed this book.  It doesn't have magic or demons, but it does portray an alternate world.  It has quite of bit of action; I recommend it.

Plot Synopsis
From the Publishers:
Darcy Jones doesn't remember anything before the day she was abandoned as a child outside a Chicago firehouse. She has never really belonged anywhere--but she couldn't have guessed that she comes from an alternate world where the Great Chicago Fire didn't happen and deadly creatures called Shades terrorize the human population.
Memories begin to haunt Darcy when a new boy arrives at her high school, and he makes her feel both desire and desired in a way she hadn't thought possible. But Conn's interest in her is confusing. It doesn't line up with the way he first looked at her.
As if she were his enemy.
When Conn betrays Darcy, she realizes that she can't rely on anything--not herself, not the laws of nature, and certainly not him. Darcy decides to infiltrate the Shadow Society and uncover the Shades' latest terrorist plot. What she finds out will change her world forever...
[close]

Eulaliaaa!

Sounds interesting, I'll see if my library has it.

Gonff the Mousethief

Does anyone know of a good book series that has a strong fantasy aspect to it similar to LOTR or Gameof Thrones? I am about to finish the Redwall series, and I will need a new series. Thanks!

- PoM
I want the world of Tolkien,
The message of Lewis;
The adventure of Jacques,
And the heart of Milne.
But I want the originality of me.

Luftwaffles

You can try "Dragon's Moon" by Lucy Monroe. The book is part of a series and, although I haven't read all its parts, it definitely has some fantasy going on (dragons and wolves mainly, if you like those).