News:

Cheers to an Auspicious Autumn, Ev'rybeast! Enjoy a hot cider and the cool breezes, as the year dwindles to its end. . .

Main Menu

A fanfic (please comment)

Started by Hickory, February 17, 2015, 08:55:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lady Ashenwyte

Quote from: Sagetip, the hare on March 11, 2015, 07:51:20 PM
Well, I kind of thought LOTR, maybe a small kingdom of Man, maybe I'll introdice a wizard or elves later on. It's like a slightly advacned LOTR, with actual army ranks and such.

Just keep in mind that most of the wizards were Maiar and not actual human beings.
The fastest way to a man's heart- Or anyone's, in fact- Is to tear a hole through their chest.

Indeed. You are as ancient as the soot that choked Pompeii into oblivion, though not quite as uncaring. - Rusvul

Just a butterfly struggling through my chrysalis.

Jukka the Sling

Quote from: Lord_Ashenwyte on March 14, 2015, 03:16:45 AM
Quote from: Sagetip, the hare on March 11, 2015, 07:51:20 PM
Well, I kind of thought LOTR, maybe a small kingdom of Man, maybe I'll introdice a wizard or elves later on. It's like a slightly advacned LOTR, with actual army ranks and such.

Just keep in mind that most of the wizards were Maiar and not actual human beings.
Actually, all of the wizards were Maiar, and there were only five.
"The world is indeed full of peril, and in it there are many dark places; but still there is much that is fair, and though in all lands love is now mingled with grief, it grows perhaps the greater." ~J.R.R. Tolkien

Hickory

Chapter 6

The wallstones seemed to give off a cooling heat, a much-wanted difference from the hot, sun-light hallway. I gazed around the room. Racks of weapons were bolted onto the walls. Spears, rapiers, daggers, halberds and pikes were all clipped on to the racks. Soft lantern light lit the room, and places where shadows would be long were brightly lit. Will's boots broke the silence as he strode over to a spear rack. Unclipping a long, iron tipped weapon, he passed it to me, shaft first. I took a firm grasp on it and pulled it from his grip. Hefting the spear, I watched Will retrieve his own.

"So, first thing you need to know is how to sue a spear without a shield. Normally, you'd tuck the shield close to protect you, but you don't have that ability. So, you'll wan to start off holding the spear like a quarterstaff."
He held the spear, both hands on the shaft, in a diaganol position, the spear tip slighty below his left ear. I did the same.

"Good, that's perfect. So, now you have a couple options. First, you can put your right hand further up the shaft, and let go with your left, lashin' out with the top half of the spear. That's best if you want to get your attacker dow on his knees. But if you want to defend yourself against that attack, you better be ready to move."
Without warning he lashed out using the same technique. I managed to hop back, and the spearpoint only grazed my boot. Will laughed. "Sort of like that. A better thing to do is to hop over the spear, that way you won't have to move forward to counterattack. Now for the other option. If you return your right hand to it's originall position, and replace your left hand, you are back in the defensive position. If you rotate to the right a little..."
I rotated so my left side was now facing Will's front.
"Then you can lower the spearpoint and jab. However, you don't want to do without sizing up your chances. It leaves your side open for attack."

While saying the last sentence, he jabbed at my side with the same move he had just told me about. I turned and held the shaft vertically, shoving Will's spear aside. He turned with his spear, performing an artful twirl.

I didn't see the spearhaft until it was too late.

It thudded into my sided. The air whooshed out of me and I doubled over, gasping for breath. "What the..."

Will stood over me, smiling slightly. "Be on your guard at al times, Leonon. You never know who or what might get you."

"Corporal, what is happening? Have you been overtraining recruits?"
I recovered enough to look up and see Lieutenant Deran in the doorway. Before Will could respond, I managed to gasp out, "Sir, it... isn't his fault... He was training me and I... wasn't on guard. I take the blame."
"I take it this is true, Tuth?"
"Oh, yessir, perfectly true."
"Very well. You, corporal, have been requested to attend a strategy meeting in the main room. Recruit, return to quarters."
"Yes, sir."

As I walked down the corridor, I wondered what they might talka bout at the stragey meeting.
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

Hickory

Hey guys! Just wanted to update this... I've typed out a few more chapters, on a typewriter, so as soon as I find time to transfer it to the iPad I can add another chapter.

Hickory

Here y'are!

Corporal Will Tuth strode down the stone corridor, slightly behind Lieutenant Deran. Knowing that it was wise to not ask questions, Will keep his mouth shut. His patience paid off, however, when they reached the Council Room door.

The guard on duty nodded to Deran and Will befoore reaching over and pulling the door open. Inside was a long table, covered with pieces of parchment, half empty ink bottes with quills sticking out of them, and the occasional candle or lantern. Tough men and women were seated around it, gazing expectantly at the women in the head chair.

It was Juno. She wore the iron coronet that was characteristic of the ruler of Unor. Her grey eyes surveyed those present, resting on the corporal and the lieutenant. Both took a seat.

Captian Fent stood up and immediately began speaking. He was glancing off a rather long piece of parchment.

"As we all know, the barbarian attacks have become more and more aggressive. Uh, several results have come from this, the chief on being the severe deplletion of resources. Supply Sergeant Kej has a list posted in the main hall, if you want the main numbers. Also, the death toll has reached into the tens of thousands. We have, however, gotten enough new recruits to cover our losses and also add another two thousands troops. I am sorry to say, though, that we will be sending them into battle as soon as possible. The southwest defense in crumbling, Aranon may soon be no more."

Angry outbursts greeted this statement. How could they give up? Half the room had families They, annd many others, argued that they had no reason to surrender.  Indignant cries rent the still air, until Juno's voice brke over them.
"Enough of this pointless quabbling! Can't you see we will never surrender? Even if Loven and Defer agree with us, Gerif would never allow it. Listen to me, friends. I called you here not just to review facts and statistics, but to look at ourselves. I hate to say it, but we need to face Gerif and ask him about this. I believe he holds the key to winning this war."
"What about the borders?"
"Feran, at out current position we can't do anything but defend when attacked. Aranon.... might be coming to an end."

Hickory