News:

For some, the heat of summer nears its end. . . And for others, the blooms of spring appear.

Main Menu

Where Wylder and 2nd Lt Sandpaw confound everyone by talking about the military

Started by Wylder Treejumper, February 20, 2015, 07:06:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LT Sandpaw

Technically I'm higher rank then you. ;D But don't worry I don't believe in throwing around my rank. As an E-8 I am given hundreds of annoying and seemingly useless responsibilities, its like congrats you achieved a new rank here is a new emblem a ribbon and a million things too do.

Whatever Its fun, Sometimes

BTW Wylder what do your emblems or stripes look like? Or do you call them chevrons?

"Sometimes its not about winning, but how you lose." - John Gwynne

"Facts don't care about your feelings." -Ben Shapiro

Jetthebinturong

Quote from: Wylder Treejumper on February 23, 2015, 03:25:42 PM
Why, yes. I was born April 14, 1103.

And, yes, I fought in the crusades. I was present at the capture of King Richard the Lionhearted

Ah! If you were actually at the Crusades you would know that he was the Lionheart, not the Lionhearted
"In the meantime, no one should roam the camp alone. Use the buddy system."
"Understood." Will looked at Nico. "Will you be my buddy?"
"You're a dork," Nico announced.
~ The Hidden Oracle, Rick Riordan

Dannflower Reguba

Quote from: Jetthebinturong on February 23, 2015, 04:28:33 PM
Quote from: Wylder Treejumper on February 23, 2015, 03:25:42 PM
Why, yes. I was born April 14, 1103.

And, yes, I fought in the crusades. I was present at the capture of King Richard the Lionhearted

Ah! If you were actually at the Crusades you would know that he was the Lionheart, not the Lionhearted

Ooooooooh, busteeeed!  :D History's awesome.
"Remember, sometimes is best to be like boomerang and come back." ~ Griffen

Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes. ~ Oscar Wilde

Mistakes can make you grow - That doesn't mean you're friends. ~NF - Remember This

Wylder Treejumper

That, my friend, depends on how it is translated. It is from French, and can be translated literally "Richard (with) Heart of Lion". From there, it is only a matter of convention.

CMSgt:
Here is the rank structure:

We call them stripes, usually. Chevrons on occasion. Of course, promotion at my school is a somewhat fixed matter. One promotion per semester, until you are a senior and then you may be jumped up to officer.
"'Tis the business of small minds to shrink, but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death."
-Thomas Paine

"Integrity and firmness is all I can promise; these, be the voyage long or short, shall never forsake me although I may be deserted by all men."
-George Washington

Courage: Not only the willingness to die manfully, but also the determination to live decently.

LT Sandpaw

Hey Wylder are you thinking about joining the Core in the future? And if you do what unit are you going to shoot for?

Wylder Treejumper

No. I love ROTC, but the military is not for me. Takes a lot of time away from your family, includes a lot of risk, doesn't pay much, and has too much of the three P's: Politics, paperwork, people. That said, if we ever got involved in a war (think WWIII), I would definitely join as an officer, most likely in the Navy.

I could end up subcontracting to the military (Navy or Air Force most likely) as an aerospace engineer, however.
"'Tis the business of small minds to shrink, but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death."
-Thomas Paine

"Integrity and firmness is all I can promise; these, be the voyage long or short, shall never forsake me although I may be deserted by all men."
-George Washington

Courage: Not only the willingness to die manfully, but also the determination to live decently.

Vilu Daskar

Quote from: LT Sandpaw on February 20, 2015, 07:53:20 PM

JROTC, neat program but Civil Air Patrol is the official Auxiliary of the Air Force, just sayin.

Are you in a Drill team or PT team?

Off topic how do I resize a Picture this one is a bit ridiculous?
I've been wondering about CAP, could you tell me about it?
Never trust a smiling pirate.  :D

I can do that because I'm awesome.

"It really gets up my nose when publishers call my book another Lord of the Rings. It's my bloody book! I wrote it. And another thing, I didn't have to plunder Norse and European mythology to do it!" - Brian Jacques.

LT Sandpaw

Navy officer huh, that's neat, are you planning on doing besides aerospace tech?

@Vilu Sure thing,

So CAP or Civil Air Patrol is a non profit all volunteer organization with three basic missions. Aerospace Education, Emergency Services, and the Cadet Program. I'm a part of all three missions so I can do overviews of all three.

So the Cadet Program is for the nations youth, its dedicated to training leaders and instructing young people to becoming more involved in their lives, to work hard, and make goals then achieve them. Once your in the program and begin attending meetings you will be taught how to care for your uniform, how to march, do character development classes, a lot of safety lectures. One of the coolest things I think you can do in the cadet program are the O-flights where senior members will take cadets up in an Cessna Aircraft and let the cadet fly the plane. (Under supervision of course) Each Cadet gets five flights in a powered aircraft and five in a glider.

Another cool thing you can do is Basic Encampment which is where you go to do the very watered down military basic. You'll go though a slightly intense week of training which is a lot of fun. Depending on what you consider fun. CAP also offers a wide range of camps over the year which includes. ATS, CTEP, CG, GSARS, Hawk Mountain, Glider Academy, Powered Flight Academy, PJC Intensive Course, Airman Leadership School, Ect.

Another thing you can do is the Color Guard, now C.A.P Color Guard competes with the JROTC Color Guard for events all the time. But what it is, is where you go out and you post the flag at events, march in parades, and do ceremonies throughout the year.

Now on to Emergency Services. Did you know Civil Air Patrol preforms 98% of the inland search and rescue missions. When someone goes missing its CAP that goes out looking for them. We've worked with local law enforcement searching for crashed aircraft, and lost hikers. I know in other states you might look for damaged boats but in Texas its not a priority. There's many different positions you can take for ES which include, Ground Team, Flight Line Marshaling, Aircraft ES, Communications and several others.

Aerospace Education is a much less hands on program consisting in Cyber Patriot, and Rocketry education. This is mostly to help advance the nations aerospace knowledge and while interesting, its not my forte.

Civil Air Patrol History: Right so back during World War Two Civilian pilots were no longer allowed to fly because of an increased threat of attack from enemy fighters. So those same Civilians decided to join the war effort. They put together a small group they called the Civil Air Patrol. They got commissioned by the Government to fly patrols along the US borders to ensure no attacks came from sea or air. They were also equipped with Anti Submarine bombs to fire on the German U-Boats. During the war 137 submarines were spotted, 37 were fired upon and 2 were confirmed killed. After the war one German Commander said the only reason they weren't able to sail right into American harbors were those Da[rn] little planes.

After World War Two the program continued as a non combat group and eventually became the Official Auxiliary of the Air Force.

That's all I can think of at the moment so if you have any more questions feel free to ask.

Hickory

I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

Vilu Daskar

Quote from: LT Sandpaw on September 16, 2015, 10:18:40 PM

Navy officer huh, that's neat, are you planning on doing besides aerospace tech?

@Vilu Sure thing,

So CAP or Civil Air Patrol is a non profit all volunteer organization with three basic missions. Aerospace Education, Emergency Services, and the Cadet Program. I'm a part of all three missions so I can do overviews of all three.

So the Cadet Program is for the nations youth, its dedicated to training leaders and instructing young people to becoming more involved in their lives, to work hard, and make goals then achieve them. Once your in the program and begin attending meetings you will be taught how to care for your uniform, how to march, do character development classes, a lot of safety lectures. One of the coolest things I think you can do in the cadet program are the O-flights where senior members will take cadets up in an Cessna Aircraft and let the cadet fly the plane. (Under supervision of course) Each Cadet gets five flights in a powered aircraft and five in a glider.

Another cool thing you can do is Basic Encampment which is where you go to do the very watered down military basic. You'll go though a slightly intense week of training which is a lot of fun. Depending on what you consider fun. CAP also offers a wide range of camps over the year which includes. ATS, CTEP, CG, GSARS, Hawk Mountain, Glider Academy, Powered Flight Academy, PJC Intensive Course, Airman Leadership School, Ect.

Another thing you can do is the Color Guard, now C.A.P Color Guard competes with the JROTC Color Guard for events all the time. But what it is, is where you go out and you post the flag at events, march in parades, and do ceremonies throughout the year.

Now on to Emergency Services. Did you know Civil Air Patrol preforms 98% of the inland search and rescue missions. When someone goes missing its CAP that goes out looking for them. We've worked with local law enforcement searching for crashed aircraft, and lost hikers. I know in other states you might look for damaged boats but in Texas its not a priority. There's many different positions you can take for ES which include, Ground Team, Flight Line Marshaling, Aircraft ES, Communications and several others.

Aerospace Education is a much less hands on program consisting in Cyber Patriot, and Rocketry education. This is mostly to help advance the nations aerospace knowledge and while interesting, its not my forte.

Civil Air Patrol History: Right so back during World War Two Civilian pilots were no longer allowed to fly because of an increased threat of attack from enemy fighters. So those same Civilians decided to join the war effort. They put together a small group they called the Civil Air Patrol. They got commissioned by the Government to fly patrols along the US borders to ensure no attacks came from sea or air. They were also equipped with Anti Submarine bombs to fire on the German U-Boats. During the war 137 submarines were spotted, 37 were fired upon and 2 were confirmed killed. After the war one German Commander said the only reason they weren't able to sail right into American harbors were those Da[rn] little planes.

After World War Two the program continued as a non combat group and eventually became the Official Auxiliary of the Air Force.

That's all I can think of at the moment so if you have any more questions feel free to ask.
Thanks
Never trust a smiling pirate.  :D

I can do that because I'm awesome.

"It really gets up my nose when publishers call my book another Lord of the Rings. It's my bloody book! I wrote it. And another thing, I didn't have to plunder Norse and European mythology to do it!" - Brian Jacques.

LT Sandpaw

Sagetip hurry pull yourself together control under extreme duress and pressure is what makes a good soldier

Lady Ashenwyte

Quote from: LT Sandpaw on September 17, 2015, 02:30:42 PM

Sagetip hurry pull yourself together control under extreme duress and pressure is what makes a good soldier

Wait, if I'm a good strategist and planner, but relatively unfit, what job opportunities do I have in the military?
The fastest way to a man's heart- Or anyone's, in fact- Is to tear a hole through their chest.

Indeed. You are as ancient as the soot that choked Pompeii into oblivion, though not quite as uncaring. - Rusvul

Just a butterfly struggling through my chrysalis.

LT Sandpaw

Lady Ashenwyte

The fastest way to a man's heart- Or anyone's, in fact- Is to tear a hole through their chest.

Indeed. You are as ancient as the soot that choked Pompeii into oblivion, though not quite as uncaring. - Rusvul

Just a butterfly struggling through my chrysalis.

Hickory

Quote from: LT Sandpaw on September 17, 2015, 03:25:00 PM

You can mow grass... ;D

Mmmm, good thing I'm doing soccer this year. Is CAP worldwide? (and is it Christian based, because that's one of the few major reasons I never joined the Boy Scouts)
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.