Started by Mad Maudie, September 10, 2011, 01:17:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

which redwall book do you like best?

Taggerung
Doomwyte

Vilu Daskar

Never trust a smiling pirate.  :D

I can do that because I'm awesome.

"It really gets up my nose when publishers call my book another Lord of the Rings. It's my bloody book! I wrote it. And another thing, I didn't have to plunder Norse and European mythology to do it!" - Brian Jacques.

Sailears

Ooooh this is a very very hard choice.

Personally I find all books after Loamhedge to be a little weaker than those before, HOWEVER for me Doomwyte has an excellent story which stands out from the books around it (in chronological order). The plot is refreshing and well woven.

BUT, Taggerung has Cregga and Boorab... And her final scene is one of the most memorable and touching things I've ever read.

Hmm... I can't decide!
My ears, how are you, wot!

Blazemane

Quote from: curunen on July 24, 2013, 12:33:27 AM
BUT, Taggerung has Cregga and Boorab... And her final scene is one of the most memorable and touching things I've ever read.

Yeah--same here. That scene has brought me to tears on more than one occasion.

Tam and Martin

HOW CAN TAGGERUNG BE MORE THAN DOOMWYTE!

If you wanna chat, PM me :) I'd love to talk with any of you!

Instagram: aaron.stott2000
SC: ayayron2000

rachel25

Easily because its better oh and for Doomwyte fans out there I have something I need to say that my brother said about Doomwyte he said that He thinks Brian Jacques had lost is edge and was out of ideas when he wrote it I know hit my Brother NOW!

Ungatt Trunn

Life is too short to rush through it.

Sailears

Well I've gone with Taggerung.

Doomwyte is an excellent book, but I cannot vote for it simply because character names are better in Taggerung.

rachel25

I LOVE TAGGERUNG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mariel

I don't really like either of them, but Doomwyte had more tolerable characters and a more exciting plot;sometimes Taggerung/Denya seemed like a (forgive me) baby, he would kill for almost nothing  >:(

Tam and Martin

Quote from: Mariel on July 26, 2013, 10:25:22 PM
I don't really like either of them, but Doomwyte had more tolerable characters and a more exciting plot;sometimes Taggerung/Denya seemed like a (forgive me) baby, he would kill for almost nothing  >:(
I agree. *angry fans kill me*

If you wanna chat, PM me :) I'd love to talk with any of you!

Instagram: aaron.stott2000
SC: ayayron2000

Blazemane

Quote from: Tam and Martin on July 26, 2013, 10:38:39 PM
Quote from: Mariel on July 26, 2013, 10:25:22 PM
I don't really like either of them, but Doomwyte had more tolerable characters and a more exciting plot;sometimes Taggerung/Denya seemed like a (forgive me) baby, he would kill for almost nothing  >:(
I agree. *angry fans kill me*

I'm definitely a Deyna fan, although I hope this doesn't come across at all like I want to kill you, heh. Now, I might be completely forgetting some important details, but at the moment, I can't think of anyone he just offs for no reason.

In fact, I'm thinking quite the opposite. He refuses to kill Felch because he knew Felch didn't deserve it. And then, in that moment, when he decides to break apart from the Juskarath clan, he doesn't take out any rage on anyone. He saves Felch's life (for the third time) by breaking Vallug's bowstring, he tells Sawney Rath they'll never see each other again, and then he simply leaves.

And then, when a bunch of vermin go off chasing him, and he finally comes face to face with one (Ribrow), he not only has no intention of killing him, but he expresses a mixture of shock and grief when he finds out the next day that the band of pygmy shrews he and Nimbalo were staying with had gone ahead and killed Ribrow.

Add to this his non-lethal way of saving himself from Madd, or disarming Krobzy, or his constant patience during his time in the clan with Gruven's attempts to challenge his position, or his attempt to keep peace with Ruggan Bor when the fox's vermin horde comes to Redwall, or even the delicate way he reacts to Nimbalo's childhood traumas, or the way he makes sure that Nimbalo doesn't accidentally offend Ruskem, or the polite conversation he manages to maintain with the beasts at Redwall who had mistakenly locked him up (until he hears that his father's killer is waiting outside the doors, of course), and I feel like Deyna is actually one of the most level-headed warriors throughout the entire series.

Perhaps, as I said, I'm missing something? Who does he kill? Vallug--his father's killer, and one of two vermin threatening Redwall Abbey. Yo Karr--the monster who the Pygmy shrews were pointlessly sacrificing members of their own families to. And then Eefera. This is the only vermin I have slight trouble with understanding. He was was the other of the two vermin threatening Redwall, and he had been trying to kill Deyna since the moment Deyna left the clan. But I suppose that once he started running away from Deyna, an argument might be made that Deyna could have let him go. ...At the same time, Deyna had to figure that Eefera would continue hounding him for the rest of his life if he was given the chance to live.

When does he kill for almost nothing?

Sailears

The more I think about it, the more I realise how much I like The Taggerung. I forgot Broggle and Fwirl are also in it. And then you've got Boorab and Cregga...

Definitely the better book overall.

I do agree that Doomwyte has one of the most unpredictable stories in the entire series.

rachel25

Please forgive me but I got a bite bored with Doomwyte I like it but after a while I was just waiting for the story to get going I wanted some more battles but I would like to read it again but it's the only Redwall book I don't own so I can't
When I was reading Taggerung for the first time I couldn't put it down I finished it in two days I just had to find out what would happen next and I've reread it three times so Taggerung gets my vote against anything  :)

HeadInAnotherGalaxy

NARDOLE; You are completely out of your mind!
DOCTOR: How is that news to anyone?

"I am Yomin Carr, the harbinger of doom. I am the beginning of the end of your people!" -Yomin Carr

-Sometime later, the second mate was unexpectedly rescued by the subplot, which had been trailing a bit behind the boat (and the plot). The whole story moved along.