News:

We're doing a read-along of the Redwall series! The current book is The Sable Quean!

Main Menu

Forum Elections: The Cellars

Started by Banya, May 29, 2015, 11:00:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Whom do you wish to be President of the Cellars?

Soren the Warrior (Celler Dweller Party)
Skarzs the Cave Troll (Trollitarian Party)
Jet the Binturong (Green Party)
Izeroth the Totalitarian (Totalitarian Party)

Banya

In the Forum Elections, our two nominated candidates, Soren the Warrior and Skarzs the Cave Troll, run for the esteemed position of President of the Cellars.  They are assisted by their campaign managers, Mhera and Faiy, respectively.  We are open to questions from the citizens of the Cellars that each candidate will receive a turn to answer and provide a rebuttal.  The candidate who answers each question first will alternate, and the candidate who answers the first question first may do so at his convenience.  Citizens may ask a question to a specific candidate, but both candidates will receive a chance to respond.  Each candidate will be allowed no fewer than two (2) and no more than five (5) sentences with which to answer.  The candidate may take all the time he needs to answer a question.  Until a candidate answers or abstains from answering, with written consent, the next question may not be addressed, unless a special circumstance arises and his campaign manager speaks for him.  If a candidate has not spoken within 24 hours a question being asked (and we hope the debate moves along more quickly than that), that candidate forfeits his turn and the second candidate will be given a chance to speak.  Neither the questions nor the answers have to make any sense at all, as this is the Cellars, but all must be in English, dialects and accents welcome.  Anyone may ask questions; I alone have a gavel.  I don't need one, but I want one.  Questions concerning debate protocol may be asked below.  Please note in your question if it is directed toward the moderator or the candidates.  

I declare the 2015 Presidential Debates of the Redwall Abbey Cellars open.
*bangs gavel*

Jetthebinturong

I would like to set myself up as an independent party, does anyone have any objections? If so, tough. This is the Cellars, I do not need permission.
"In the meantime, no one should roam the camp alone. Use the buddy system."
"Understood." Will looked at Nico. "Will you be my buddy?"
"You're a dork," Nico announced.
~ The Hidden Oracle, Rick Riordan

James Gryphon

How do you feel about attempting to undermine the authority structure of the forums and running for a position in an illegitimate government?
« Subject to editing »

Jetthebinturong

That would be wonderful as it would benefit Isfet and upset the balance of Ma'at greatly. That would be fun.

The Skarzs

. . . I'm assuming you were asking Jet, James.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Jetthebinturong

I assumed that that question was addressed to all of us.

Banya

Jet, who is your campaign manager?

Jetthebinturong

I am my own campaign manager. I assure you, I am quite capable of handling the responsibility.

Unless someone wants to volunteer that is.

James Gryphon

« Subject to editing »

Izeroth

I'll run as leader of the Totalitarian Party.

Banya

*bangs gavel for order*

We have two new candidates running for the position of President of the Forum.  Please welcome Jet the Binturong and Izeroth the Totalitarian.  The two up-and-coming candidates are encouraged to appoint campaign managers who will manage their publicity affairs.  To avoid the pitfall that is the two-party system, we now have four (4) candidates running for one (1) position.  Side-note: The system of selecting a Vice President will be determined at a later date.  To prevent the votes from being spread too thin, we are limiting the number of running candidates to four (4).  No new candidates may step forth.  Each of these candidates represent different parties, which their campaign managers are responsible for broadcasting to the public.  Broadcasting is not restricted to this thread, and propaganda may not take the place of a candidate's response.

With that, we have our first question for the candidates.  Soren, Skarzs, Jet, and Izeroth may consult their campaign managers or formulate a response on their own.  Each must adhere to the above rules (see Post No.1) when answering.  When all four candidates have answered, the candidates will have a chance to present a rebuttal, which may be used to point out flaws in the others' arguments. 
Candidates, please remember that target audience is undecided, independent voters.

Our first question for the candidates is given by Games Jryphon, a tea-drinking, comic-reading Texas enthusiast who hails from a land where fowls of mythology roam abundantly.  His question:

Quote from: James Gryphon on May 29, 2015, 11:04:17 PM
How do you feel about attempting to undermine the authority structure of the forums and running for a position in an illegitimate government?

Gonff the Mousethief

One question Miss Banya. Are they running for Forum President or Cellars President? Also, can a candidate have a "team" made up of a few more people? Just thought I run that by you before they answer. Thanks!
I want the world of Tolkien,
The message of Lewis;
The adventure of Jacques,
And the heart of Milne.
But I want the originality of me.

Wylder Treejumper

I won't be running, but as a philosopher and an intellectually bored person, it is within my interest to answer the questions.

Quote from: James GryphonHow do you feel about attempting to undermine the authority structure of the forums and running for a position in an illegitimate government?

*Ahem*

The source of all power is the people. It is by their consent that governments exist- the governments which are formed solely to protect the rights of the governed. When the social contract the government was purposed for ceases to be fulfilled, it is the right, even the duty of the people to throw off the government and establish a new government to protect those rights.

However, as the current government does not appear to be abusive of the rights with which they have been entrusted, this government is, indeed, legitimate- at least in the sense of having control of appropriated government powers. In another sense, however, the government is indeed lacking- democratic representation. The current government is oligarchic, run by a "superior" race known as "The Mods". It is therefore advisable and proper to include a democratically elected official in the select government. It is my suggestion that this elected official be accepted by the current government on an advisory basis.

Thank you.
"'Tis the business of small minds to shrink, but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death."
-Thomas Paine

"Integrity and firmness is all I can promise; these, be the voyage long or short, shall never forsake me although I may be deserted by all men."
-George Washington

Courage: Not only the willingness to die manfully, but also the determination to live decently.

Banya

Quote from: Gonff the Mousethief on May 30, 2015, 02:29:06 AM
One question Miss Banya. Are they running for Forum President or Cellars President? Also, can a candidate have a "team" made up of a few more people? Just thought I run that by you before they answer. Thanks!
Good questions, Mr. Mousethief.  The candidates are running for President of the Cellars only, but the election includes all citizens of the forums.  The candidates may have teams; please consult the individual campaign managers for requirements and other information.

Well spoken, Wylder.  You are absolutely allowed to comment, but you will be likewise moderated.  Your post did not fit within the boundaries of the rules, but as you are not a candidate, it does not count.

Gonff the Mousethief

Ah, thank you for that follow up. Good day.
I want the world of Tolkien,
The message of Lewis;
The adventure of Jacques,
And the heart of Milne.
But I want the originality of me.