News:

We're doing a read-along of the Redwall series! The current book is The Sable Quean!

Main Menu

Forum Elections: The Cellars

Started by Banya, May 29, 2015, 11:00:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Whom do you wish to be President of the Cellars?

Soren the Warrior (Celler Dweller Party)
Skarzs the Cave Troll (Trollitarian Party)
Jet the Binturong (Green Party)
Izeroth the Totalitarian (Totalitarian Party)

The Skarzs

Quote from: James Gryphon on May 29, 2015, 11:04:17 PM
How do you feel about attempting to undermine the authority structure of the forums and running for a position in an illegitimate government?
I would not attempt such an action, as the toppling of power is nearly always more destructive than helpful.
Instead, a better idea would be to influence them greatly with mind-control to gradually change things for the better.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Wylder Treejumper

Hmph. Edits. That's the third time I've had to reread your post, Banya.

Although I may point out that the only power which has the ability to moderate considers this government illegitimate, and is therefore unlikely to do so. You, certainly, as the host of this debate, have a vested power, as you have established this debate- and I would not say this moderation violates any freedom of speech rights, because the moderated would have the absolute right to leave and speak their opinions in any other topic. However, I don't believe your decisions are enforceable should they escape the parameters which the debate has been established in but do not violate the borders the existing government has set.

Not that I wouldn't comply, I absolutely respect your authority in this aspect... But I need more philosophy to do, since my treatise has hit a dead end. :P
"'Tis the business of small minds to shrink, but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death."
-Thomas Paine

"Integrity and firmness is all I can promise; these, be the voyage long or short, shall never forsake me although I may be deserted by all men."
-George Washington

Courage: Not only the willingness to die manfully, but also the determination to live decently.

Banya

You are correct.  I am aware that I have no enforceable power.  My rules for a clean and equal debate are stated above, and any citizens are welcome to participate.  Apologies for the edits; I wasn't ever really happy with that post.

Mhera

Soren the Warrior, representing the Cellar Dweller Party, will be replying here directly. Also, I'm pleased to announce the addition of Gonff the Mousethief to our campaign staff.

Søren

My representation (the Cellar Dweller Party) has prepared a response.
How do you feel about attempting to undermine the authority structure of the forums and running for a position in an illegitimate government?
I don't think of myself as running for a position to undermine any authority granted to the moderation staff, whom I have great respect for. I'm not trying to become a dictator or a supreme ruler. The position of Celler President would be bestowed only on those who are respected in our community, not to take over, but to enhance. Enhance the same fun and wonder that exists within the Cellars already. If elected, my goal would be to build upon what the excellent staff has already done.

I'm retired from the forum

Wylder Treejumper

Hmm. This sounds like my Forum Revival Movement. Which, I may add, has really slowed down since no one but me was posting...

*COUGHCOUGHCOUGHCOUGH*
"'Tis the business of small minds to shrink, but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death."
-Thomas Paine

"Integrity and firmness is all I can promise; these, be the voyage long or short, shall never forsake me although I may be deserted by all men."
-George Washington

Courage: Not only the willingness to die manfully, but also the determination to live decently.

Gonff the Mousethief

Psst, if he wins Wylder, than that may boost up. Y' never know.
I want the world of Tolkien,
The message of Lewis;
The adventure of Jacques,
And the heart of Milne.
But I want the originality of me.

Søren

Quote from: Gonff the Mousethief on May 30, 2015, 05:17:04 AM
Things to think about
[close]

I'm retired from the forum

Izeroth

Unless authority can be completely and utterly enforced, it is nothing but a subjective concept. Therefore, I consider the current forum's authority structure to be just that. The current ruling party of this forum has some degree of power, but, as seen by the chaos that has arisen with the Guest War, it is ultimately unable to demand complete authority and respect from its citizens.

My answer to the latter question is much the same: unless there is universal recognition of a government as being illegitimate, its illegitimacy is merely subjective.

Wylder Treejumper

Ahem: Question to the candidate Izeroth:

As you seem dissatisfied with the current authority structure, in what way would you enforce the authority you would receive- without having a detrimental effect on the quality of the forum?

When absolute authority is enforced, the individual freedoms which make quality interactions- whether they be economic or interpersonal- are curtailed, and so the quality of the interactions suffers. This can be proven with various historic examples.
-Thomas Paine

-George Washington

Mhera

Woah now, don't candidates have the opportunity to provide rebuttals to other's answers to James' question before moving on?

Wylder Treejumper

Quote from: Gonff the Mousethief on May 30, 2015, 05:17:04 AM
You know, that just reminded me of the perfect quote for my attack ad campaign. Thank you, Gonff. I shall now commence Operation Smear Soren.
-Thomas Paine

-George Washington

Banya

Thank you, Skarzs, Soren, and Izeroth, for your excellent responses.  We will give Jet a chance to respond before rebuttals on this particular question begin later on Saturday.

Note: as stated in Post No. 1, a question asked to a certain candidate may still be answered by all candidates.  Mr. Treejumper's question will be addressed after rebuttals are concluded.

In the meantime, we look forward to seeing the candidates' campaign strategies implemented by their hardworking management teams. 

Wylder, just a thought: a question regarding the Forum Revival Movement may be beneficial.  The candidates are running for President of the Cellars specifically, but the amount of power and influence this position holds reaches far beyond the Cellars.

Mhera

I thought this was Jet's response?

Quote from: Jetthebinturong on May 29, 2015, 11:06:28 PM
That would be wonderful as it would benefit Isfet and upset the balance of Ma'at greatly. That would be fun.

Quote from: Banya on May 30, 2015, 05:41:24 AM
Wylder, just a thought: a question regarding the Forum Revival Movement may be beneficial.  The candidates are running for President of the Cellars specifically, but the amount of power and influence this position holds reaches far beyond the Cellars.
Foreign policy ;D

Wylder Treejumper

Foreign policy to be negotiated with me. And I'm not too happy with the success of the Movement.

Here is my question for candidate Soren the Warrior, of the Cellar Dweller Party:

In what way do you justify you running for Cellar President in context of this quote from the Forum Revival Movement: "Well, please don't include me in any lists. I don't want to be part of a 'committee' ... I don't have the time or need for more responsibility. "

This was backed up by total lack of participation and interest in the Movement. Why would you choose to run for Cellar President if you are not willing to take simple steps to improve the forum?

Full quote source
-Thomas Paine

-George Washington