News:

Cheers to an Auspicious Autumn, Ev'rybeast! Enjoy a hot cider and the cool breezes, as the year dwindles to its end. . .

Main Menu

Non-Badgers with the Bloodwrath

Started by Nightfire, September 15, 2011, 05:17:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bragoon

I can go read it two more times if you'd like me too, or a dozen more times if you think it would help.  I don't think it will make any difference, considering the third time I read it I was actually looking for any between-the-lines details. 
"For the whole Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable to to teach, to convince, to correct, and to instruct in righteousness." - II Timothy 3:16

Melody

well hers a clip from the battle where Matthias acted a bit sensless.

'" the net slid from Matthias, who snatched  his sword and jumped up, charging straight in among the rats, hacking this way and that in  an attempt to get at the wearat.
"Get out of there, watch your back Matthias!" Orlando roared from the cave entrance.
Matthias dimly heard Orlando. With the spirit of Martin the warrior coursing through his veins he whirled in a tight warrior's circle."'

Bragoon

I agree, however it clearly says that it was the spirit of Martin helping him, not the Bloodwrath. 
"For the whole Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable to to teach, to convince, to correct, and to instruct in righteousness." - II Timothy 3:16

Melody

same difference, he wasn't thinking.

Oops that was a bit blunt my bad.

Bragoon

True, but that's not one of the defining traits of the Bloodwrath.  Tammo wasn't thinking when he ran into the stream which was, unfortunately, being watched by vermin, and he wasn't taken with the Bloodwrath, he just wanted a drink.

Melody

true but his friend wasn't dimly heard either for she wasn't talking.
He was just being plain foolish.

Bragoon

That's a valid point.  Still, I don't think it was the Bloodwrath, especially since I myself can attest to drowning out other things when I'm concentrating.

After contemplating it today, I think part of my problem is that I hold the requirements of Bloodwrath higher than most people.  For instance, like in the case of Rakkety Tam, I don't think one instance of them having the Bloodwrath counts as them actually being afflicted with it.  A good example of this is Gorath the Flame, who could be goaded my his grandfather into using his Bloodwrath from a young age.  Neither Doogy nor any of the other squirrel warriors mention anything about Tam flying into berserk rages, and none of the other fights suggest to me that he ordinarily was affected by it.  This makes me think that he doesn't ordinarily have the Bloodwrath, only the one time which was still a little dubious.

So I'm stubborn and picky.  :P

Melody

I'm stubborn too, I don't think Tam had bloodwrath. ;D
But Matthias was pretty close to having it..............

Bragoon

I'd agree with that, pretty close.  *nod*

Melody

Ciaran Galedeep

Quote from: Dotti on September 16, 2011, 11:41:24 PM
I thought Dandin had bloodwrath.   :o  How could I have forgetten Rab???? I mean, he not only had the bloodwrath really bad but had memory loss and forgot how to talk along with it!  Rab was awesome!
i don't think rab streambattle had bloodwrath i think both he and muta were in the same category as Madd from Taggerung. aminesha through trama.

Ciaran Galedeep

Quote from: Coobreedan on September 25, 2011, 10:25:54 AM
Quote from: DanielofRedwall on September 25, 2011, 05:54:30 AM
Badgers are a lot more powerful then squirrels in Redwall, bloodwrath or no bloodwrath. The badger would win. I want to see what James thinks, though!
But remember, Boar was killed by rats!
not before rigfang was turned into Hamburger

Ciaran Galedeep

Quote from: James Gryphon on September 25, 2011, 10:50:45 AM
True, but it was an army of rats.

For comparison, Graypatch's crew on Darkqueen, and thus probably the rest of Gabool's fleet, had about a hundred rats a ship. Rawnblade, Boar's great-great-great-grandson, effortlessly killed an entire crew of one of them, so based off of that it seems likely to me that a badger can kill a hundred rats, at least under certain conditions.

Now, Bloodwake was one of the largest ships in the entire series. Ripfang is like what Gabool might have been if he never stopped sailing; the book describes a massive horde surrounding Salamandastron. Martin also said that if all the rats stood in line, it would still take the heroes all season to kill them. For the sake of argument, and considering the large size of the slave crew, let's say that there were three or four hundred rats onboard. And these weren't just some random rats either; it was the crew of one of the most notorious and successful pirate ships that ever sailed.

That's a huge and a dangerous army; losing to them isn't really disgraceful.
Boar died yes.
but i would say he didn't lose
how did the rats fare in the fight?
no ship, their numbers greatly diminished
Leader smashed to bits...

that does raise question for the decerning reader, what happened to the rest of verimin?

Ciaran Galedeep

Quote from: Bragoon on January 17, 2012, 02:13:40 AM
I'd agree with that, pretty close.  *nod*
yes defiantly "nod" one of the key features of bloodwrath is that the creature (particularly the badgers) turn into a berserker, on of the best examples of this is when sunflash goes out on the shore the commanding hare tells is troops to protect his back but stay out of his way so they don't get hit to.

Lily

Ciaran, please don't post four times in a row. If you wish to add more information then you can use the modify button at the top right of your post.

The forum rules can be found here.