"Beep-Bloop" -Verdauga, 2024

Main Menu

The Silmarillion Discussion Thread

Started by Jukka the Sling, August 23, 2015, 01:37:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vilu Daskar

Never trust a smiling pirate.  :D

I can do that because I'm awesome.

"It really gets up my nose when publishers call my book another Lord of the Rings. It's my bloody book! I wrote it. And another thing, I didn't have to plunder Norse and European mythology to do it!" - Brian Jacques.

Lady Ashenwyte

The fastest way to a man's heart- Or anyone's, in fact- Is to tear a hole through their chest.

Indeed. You are as ancient as the soot that choked Pompeii into oblivion, though not quite as uncaring. - Rusvul

Just a butterfly struggling through my chrysalis.

Vilu Daskar

"It really gets up my nose when publishers call my book another Lord of the Rings. It's my bloody book! I wrote it. And another thing, I didn't have to plunder Norse and European mythology to do it!" - Brian Jacques.

Jukka the Sling

Quote from: Vilu Daskar on September 09, 2015, 08:01:34 PM
My sister owns it why would I buy it?
Why don't you tell her you want to read it, then?  If she's anything like me, she would be more than happy to have you read it so she'll have someone to obsess over it with.
"The world is indeed full of peril, and in it there are many dark places; but still there is much that is fair, and though in all lands love is now mingled with grief, it grows perhaps the greater." ~J.R.R. Tolkien

Vilu Daskar

She knows I want to read it and she already obsesses over it with anyone who will listen.

Jukka the Sling

Quote from: Vilu Daskar on September 09, 2015, 08:55:59 PM
She knows I want to read it and she already obsesses over it with anyone who will listen.
I think your sister and I would get along beautifully. ;D  I'm always going on about some small and probably-inconsequential Silmarillion fact.

But seriously, tell her you really wanna read it.  Not sure what other advice I can give...

Anyway, I found some Silmarillion art!

Art

It's Aiwendil, the Maia who was sent to Middle-earth as Radagast the Brown!  He's actually really cute... and so is the little hedgehog in the corner.  *Dies of awesomeness overload*

Beren and Luthien!  I don't care for the way Beren looks, but it's an awesome picture nonetheless.  Luthien looks kind of like Susan Pevensie...

More art by the same person.
[close]
"The world is indeed full of peril, and in it there are many dark places; but still there is much that is fair, and though in all lands love is now mingled with grief, it grows perhaps the greater." ~J.R.R. Tolkien

Vilu Daskar

I don't think she has ever finished it.

Jukka the Sling

^ Really?  Hmm...

Anyway, I found another great Tolkien artist! http://steamey.deviantart.com/gallery/41578982/Tolkien

And then, of course, there's the fantastic Jenny Dolfen, whom I've known about for a while: http://gold-seven.deviantart.com/gallery

Lady Ashenwyte

The fastest way to a man's heart- Or anyone's, in fact- Is to tear a hole through their chest.

Indeed. You are as ancient as the soot that choked Pompeii into oblivion, though not quite as uncaring. - Rusvul

Jukka the Sling

Interesting.  I'm not sure I like the style, though - it's rather chaotic, and the picture itself is kind of creepy.

Cornflower MM

But the chaoticness makes you closer, and what's creepy about it?

Jukka the Sling

Do you mean the chaoticness makes you LOOK closer?  I'm assuming you meant that. :P

I don't know... it's something about the color choices, particularly, and Sauron's face and the chaos.  A combination of things.

Cornflower MM

Lady Ashenwyte

I think the chaos fits perfectly. I can't get over the ridiculousness of Morgoth's shoulder pauldron or whatever it is. It's ridiculous.

Jukka the Sling

Bump!

My copy of the Silmarillion (which I ordered with a gift card I've had for over THREE YEARS) arrived today!  It's the hardcover second edition (I think), illustrated by Ted Nasmith.  (Does anyone else have this edition?)  Anyway, I'm super happy. ;D

Also, I'm in the process of writing an angsty AU oneshot featuring Maedhros and Maglor.  (Aren't the sons of FĂ«anor such interesting characters?)