News:

For some, the heat of summer nears its end. . . And for others, the blooms of spring appear.

Main Menu

Which internet browser do you use?

Started by DanielofRedwall, September 20, 2011, 10:36:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which internet browser do you use?

Internet Explorer
9 (19.1%)
Mozilla Firefox
17 (36.2%)
Safari
7 (14.9%)
Google Chrome
20 (42.6%)
Opera
1 (2.1%)
Other
1 (2.1%)

Total Members Voted: 47

Dannflower Reguba

Are you suggesting our Browsers are inferior?  ???
"Remember, sometimes is best to be like boomerang and come back." ~ Griffen

Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes. ~ Oscar Wilde

Mistakes can make you grow - That doesn't mean you're friends. ~NF - Remember This

Taggerung_of_Redwall

Quote from: Dawnwing on August 26, 2012, 11:34:04 PM
As a web student, though, I have to say Firefox is the best browser as far as writing code and having it actually do what you want.  xD

Oh, tell me about it.
Start building something beautiful and just put the hate away

Lutra

Quote from: danflorreguba on August 28, 2012, 05:51:35 PM

If that's directed at me, Skalrag is big into foxes, so I suspected she'd use firefox.

If you're replying to this comment:

QuoteAs a web student, though, I have to say Firefox is the best browser as far as writing code and having it actually do what you want.  xD

My two cents is no browser is perfect.  IE has security flaws, Firefox has weird memory issues, Opera can't work with some webpages, Chrome has questionable terms of service.....pick whatever works for you and be happy. :)
Ya Ottah! ~ Sierra

Rainshadow

This is my thought on these three internet browsers:

I just love this picture!
If you're interested in my art or keeping in touch, I'm active on DeviantArt and Instagram!

Redwallfan7

I still say Bing is the best engine. I occasionally use FireFox. I also use MSN on a regular basis.
"There's some good in this world, Mr.Frodo, and it's worth fighting for."-Samwise Gamgee from The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers

Dannflower Reguba

Quote from: Lutra on August 28, 2012, 08:15:17 PM

If that's directed at me, Skalrag is big into foxes, so I suspected she'd use firefox.

QuoteAs a web student, though, I have to say Firefox is the best browser as far as writing code and having it actually do what you want.  xD

My two cents is no browser is perfect.  IE has security flaws, Firefox has weird memory issues, Opera can't work with some webpages, Chrome has questionable terms of service.....pick whatever works for you and be happy. :)

It was more about the "Anything LESS" part... It sounded like you were saying that other Browsers were inferior.

And for my part on outlook:

IE can't load Youtube videos for its life anymore!
Firefox is just plain SLOW!
The only problem I've had with Chrome, was that it stopped working for awhile for some reason... I fixed it though.

Mistakes can make you grow - That doesn't mean you're friends. ~NF - Remember This

Tiria Wildlough

Why does Firefox have to remember every titchy little thing? It's useful, but it can be weird.
My tumblr! not-the-skycat.tumblr.com
I'm not a hipster.

Lutra

It does nothing that any other browser wouldn't ask.  You can tell it to never remember passwords and things like that and it'll never bug you about it.
Ya Ottah! ~ Sierra

Gears

Haha! got that right. Google pretty much asks if it can pry into your personal life. I like firefox the best, IE is the worst i'd say. :/
Yeah, I do stuff sometimes.

Søren

REVIVE!
I'm in the Apple Ecosystem, so I use Safari. With Yosemite, it's the best looking for the major Mac browsers. It's also got Continuity and Hand Off, so I can go from Redwall Abby on my Mac and with one swipe I'm on my phone. Then Redwall Wiki and with a click im on that site back in my Mac.

I'm retired from the forum

SilentSam

;D~~~~Silent~~~~Sam~~~~Squirrel~~~ ;D
HEHE!

I AM SAM ;D
Cicha sam jest najlepszym redwall znaków!

Dannflower Reguba

Quote from: Gears on August 30, 2012, 08:06:24 PM

Haha! got that right. Google pretty much asks if it can pry into your personal life. I like firefox the best, IE is the worst i'd say. :/

Funny you should say that, because Google Chrome supports an add-on called Do-Not-Track-Me, which bars almost every tracer from every site (I think some still get through, but if they do, it's not very many). Google Chrome is by far the fastest, and remembers the things that are actually useful to remember (local memory, not in the cloud). I've yet to get any sort of virus, or bug of any type on my computer which I've been using for almost a year, and.... well, it's just a great browser. I don't know if maybe other people have had better experiences with Firefox than I have, but what's to say that it's any more secure than Chrome?

Rusvul

Umm... It's not owned by Google, for one, and I find it hard to trust Google entirely on the topic of not tracking me... Don't get me wrong, lots of what Google does is awesome. Firefox is just a personal preference for me.

James Gryphon

I looked at DNTM (since renamed Blur); while it looks like a fine app, and I'm sure does a great job at what it's supposed to do, it's worth noting that it doesn't really address the possibility that Google is tracking you when you use their browser. As long as your browser is sending information "back home", they have a window into your world.

To be fair, tech companies have done this for ages, starting probably with Microsoft in the mid-to-late 90s -- the difference is that Google is known for being a search company (that is, they're very good at gaining information from massive, otherwise inscrutable text dumps), and they have an incentive to use that information, in that everything you do can be used for advertising. Combine all of that with a little environment-induced paranoia (brought on by the adventures we're having with the NSA and their ilk), and people are very nervous about this sort of thing. I can't say that I really blame them.

That said, in every other respect, Google Chrome is a great browser. I have it installed on my Windows 7 partition, and even used it for a while on OS X. I eventually went back to Safari after Google Chrome had trouble running some legacy Java applets, but if it wasn't for that I'd still probably use Chrome today.

My thoughts on Firefox and the rest are in my old (2011) post on the subject, on the first page; my opinion on those hasn't changed much since then. If someone else wants to use them, though, that's their business. Whatever fits their lifestyle and online activity the best. I used Firefox the other day, to run something that both Safari and Chrome couldn't seem to get a grasp on, so which is the "best" is all very circumstantial.
« Subject to editing »

Dannflower Reguba

Quote from: James Gryphon on November 16, 2014, 08:35:15 PM
I looked at DNTM (since renamed Blur); while it looks like a fine app, and I'm sure does a great job at what it's supposed to do, it's worth noting that it doesn't really address the possibility that Google is tracking you when you use their browser. As long as your browser is sending information "back home", they have a window into your world.

To be fair, tech companies have done this for ages, starting probably with Microsoft in the mid-to-late 90s -- the difference is that Google is known for being a search company (that is, they're very good at gaining information from massive, otherwise inscrutable text dumps), and they have an incentive to use that information, in that everything you do can be used for advertising. Combine all of that with a little environment-induced paranoia (brought on by the adventures we're having with the NSA and their ilk), and people are very nervous about this sort of thing. I can't say that I really blame them.

That said, in every other respect, Google Chrome is a great browser. I have it installed on my Windows 7 partition, and even used it for a while on OS X. I eventually went back to Safari after Google Chrome had trouble running some legacy Java applets, but if it wasn't for that I'd still probably use Chrome today.

My thoughts on Firefox and the rest are in my old (2011) post on the subject, on the first page; my opinion on those hasn't changed much since then. If someone else wants to use them, though, that's their business. Whatever fits their lifestyle and online activity the best. I used Firefox the other day, to run something that both Safari and Chrome couldn't seem to get a grasp on, so which is the "best" is all very circumstantial.

Funny you mention that, I'm taking web coding at NWTC, we work exclusively with HTML5 and CSS3. It's been interesting seeing which tags work with which browsers, I'm guessing that's what your problems have been (W3schools has a lot of details on this). I'm not familiar with javascript though, I think we're supposed to cover some basics on javascript this or the coming Monday.