"Beep-Bloop" -Matti, probably

Main Menu

Your greatest achievements

Started by Skyblade, September 12, 2015, 11:13:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Skyblade

Thanks, MatthiasMan, for the avatar!

James Gryphon

There's as many as 1,000 people, each year, that get a 36 on the ACT. Considering how numerous your competition is, I say that you can be successful if and only if you get a 37. Anything less is clearly just underachieving.
« Subject to editing »

Skyblade

What is the purpose of saying that?

James Gryphon

I wanted to help encourage you. Don't settle for ordinary perfection if you can do better.
« Subject to editing »

Skyblade

Thank you, James :)

What is better than ordinary perfection?

James Gryphon

Ordinary perfection says that getting all of the answers right is good enough. To be better than perfect, you must decisively prove that the test is insufficient to adequately measure your greatness.

For example, solving the remaining Millennium Prize Problems would be a nice feather to have in your cap to kick off your career in academics.
« Subject to editing »

rrrrr

rrrrr.....

Ho arr, mateys, swimming is fun!

I had shrimp 'n' hotroot soup today.

Cornflower MM

Quote from: Skyblade on September 13, 2015, 10:15:45 PM
I don't think you know how ACT scoring really is ;) But thank you, Corny.

No, but it's high enough. (Keep in mind - I've only done one test, and that was the CAT [CAlifornia Achievement Test] Holy Zeus, that was easy.)

Quote from: James Gryphon on September 13, 2015, 10:34:47 PM
Perfect is usually good enough.

. . . . . . . I have to agree.

Quote from: James Gryphon on September 14, 2015, 01:17:00 AM
Ordinary perfection says that getting all of the answers right is good enough. To be better than perfect, you must decisively prove that the test is insufficient to adequately measure your greatness.

For example, solving the remaining Millennium Prize Problems would be a nice feather to have in your cap to kick off your career in academics.

*Nods*

Skyblade

Hmm, interesting.

Thank you, Rrrrr :)

rrrrr

@Corn: Yay, someone else here lives in California.
rrrrr.....

Ho arr, mateys, swimming is fun!

I had shrimp 'n' hotroot soup today.

Wylder Treejumper

My greatest achievement is... not blowing up my school yet ;D

Actually, I'm having a hard time thinking of an event I would consider my greatest achievement. I tend to define my life in terms of processes, not events. If anything, my greatest achievement would be who I am today. Not because I'm perfect or anything, not by a really long shot- just because I've worked a long time to get where I am. I know who I am, where I'm going, and how I'm going to get there, and I justifiably think that's an achievement anyone should be proud of.

But I will get my Eagle Scout in a few months. THAT will be an achievement.
"'Tis the business of small minds to shrink, but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death."
-Thomas Paine

"Integrity and firmness is all I can promise; these, be the voyage long or short, shall never forsake me although I may be deserted by all men."
-George Washington

Courage: Not only the willingness to die manfully, but also the determination to live decently.

Cornflower MM

Quote from: rrrrr on September 15, 2015, 03:47:41 AM
@Corn: Yay, someone else here lives in California.

Sorry, R. I live on the other side of the US. And down.  :-\

LT Sandpaw

I got my Neil Armstrong award the other day.

I also passed the Advanced Training School or ATS and graduated into the Advanced Training Squadron. That is something I'm really proud of.

"Sometimes its not about winning, but how you lose." - John Gwynne

"Facts don't care about your feelings." -Ben Shapiro

Matthias720

Let's see now...

Well, I think my greatest achievement was building this community to the place it's at today. You guys make all the work worthwhile. Other than that, simply being accepted as the first moderator here was pretty sweet. As a homeschooler, I was in the 99th percentile for the Iowa Tests. And finally, before I moderated here, I had a chance to mod for the Sandlot Games forums (which no longer exists :()

Quote from: James Gryphon on September 12, 2015, 11:30:08 PM
3) Released three versions of a mod for "Weird Worlds: Return to Infinite Space".
A fantastic game! What did your mod do?

James Gryphon

Quote from: Matthias720 on September 15, 2015, 07:45:05 PM
A fantastic game! What did your mod do?
Wow, you played WW? It's a small world.

It was the Odd Adventures mod (I'd send a link, but Google thinks the Shrapnel Games forum's been hacked or something). My big thing was balance changes; I nerfed a whole bunch of weapons, buffed beams and missiles, and tinkered with some of the alien races to make them fit into the new scheme. I also added a few new events and allies (like a Tan Ru Demolisher), changed the starmap background, and changed the interface to a bronze color, to match SAIS.

Here's the pictures I had hosted to show off v.002:

If you've been keeping up with the third game in the series ("Sea of Stars"), I also started work on a mod for that one some time ago. I'm hoping I can release the first mod for that game; it would be a huge step up for me in terms of my works' exposure. We'll see how it goes, though.

I'm sorry to hear that that company's forums got shut down. For some reason, companies are big on buying each other out, shutting down their communities, and ceasing to support old software. That happened a few years ago to one of my favorite companies, Freeverse Software, and it really burned me up; if you're not going to do anything with all these old games and intellectual property just laying around, why even bother with buying them out? But it is what it is.
« Subject to editing »