News:

Cheers to an Auspicious Autumn, Ev'rybeast! Enjoy a hot cider and the cool breezes, as the year dwindles to its end. . .

Main Menu

Redwall Isn't Safe Anymore! (Is Redwall as Safe as they Say it is? Part Two) OOC

Started by Ashleg, February 18, 2016, 01:42:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ashleg

Quote from: Sagetip on July 17, 2016, 06:10:02 PM
If Fastooth is anything like Saltooth the crows are gonna have a tough time flying him over the walls.

@Ashleg: Wow, you actually put the quote in your signature. ;D ;D ;D I didn't know you liked it that much!

;D ;D ;D

Oh, and guys, I'm an elder now.

Hickory

I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

Groddil

On the subject of the siege, I don't know exactly how good it'd work. For instance, the closest thing to a siege would be Cluny's siege on the Abbey during the first book. They actually had to camp across the path, out of range of the arrows and slingstones. Plus, Redwall has never really been under strain, in terms of food. Nearly everything is grown within the walls, and the rest can just be gathered by the Vigil.

I guess I'm not really saying it wouldn't work, I'm just saying it wouldn't be very effective. The poisoning is similar. While it would have a pretty major effect on the Abbey, the crows have to get to wherever without being shot down by the wallguards. I guess they could fly so high they're out of range, and make their way down through the attics. ;) (hint hint)

EDIT: Oh, and in completely unrelated news, I found a nice lookin' symbol for the Vigil:

Oh turd muffins, this link isn't working. I'll fix it later.

EDIT: Should be an attachment...

James Gryphon

Fox gonna lose an eye to go with the ear?

Things're going pretty good with the story overall; One-Ear's power level bugs me, though. He strikes me (and has for a while) as overpowered. In particular, I don't think he should be able to disarm a berserking badger that easily. (I'm not sure about him being able to dodge so well, but I guess there are characters that've pulled that off in Redwall canon too.)

The spear toss also strikes me as a Tiria-ish moment, though that was from a minor character.

My thoughts on things aren't all negative. There was great characterization and buildup.
« Subject to editing »

Groddil

Quote from: James Gryphon on July 27, 2016, 09:33:32 PM
In particular, I don't think he should be able to disarm a berserking badger that easily. (I'm not sure about him being able to dodge so well, but I guess there are characters that've pulled that off in Redwall canon too.)

Seacloak was very slow, considering he was wearing a full set of heavy plate armor. Dodging someone like that isn't hard. Plus, Seacloak didn't really get bloodwrath or anything until the very end when he knows he's losing.

Hickory

James Gryphon

Well, it might slow him down, but I'm not sure it'd slow him down that much:

Benjamin Rose, a historical martial arts practitioner, suggests that it would likely affect one's stamina more than their mobility. That would have an impact on someone's movement over a long march or a real battle, but for a duel he suggests it'd be a non-factor. And anyway, stamina (after toughness) is the badger's hallmark, especially in Redwall. ;)
« Subject to editing »

Groddil

LT Sandpaw

It was interesting, and well written. I was kind of disappointed that Seacloak was willing to use Needle as a back-up plan. I figured a character whose whole motivation of being bad was because he wanted to rid the world of dishonorable creatures would show some decency in a one on one engagement.

Besides Seacloak never actually lost the duel, technically he won. (By the way I thought that bit was great.) It would have been awesome if he'd survived and gone on to attack Redwall and the horde. But maybe he did.... Badgers are known for being unreasonably tough, and a female fox whose been a prisoner for who knows how long can't throw a spear that distance with deadly strength....

"Sometimes its not about winning, but how you lose." - John Gwynne

"Facts don't care about your feelings." -Ben Shapiro

Groddil

LT Sandpaw

Are you saying he's definitely, without a doubt dead? :'( Because that whole thing was just a big giant wink wink ;) to give Seacloak a reason to be alive. ;D ;)

"Sometimes its not about winning, but how you lose." - John Gwynne

"Facts don't care about your feelings." -Ben Shapiro

Groddil

Quote from: LT Sandpaw on July 28, 2016, 01:09:12 AM
It was interesting, and well written. I was kind of disappointed that Seacloak was willing to use Needle as a back-up plan. I figured a character whose whole motivation of being bad was because he wanted to rid the world of dishonorable creatures would show some decency in a one on one engagement.

Nah, mate, you got his motivations all wrong. He wants the fox family dead because they embarrassed him. He's got the whole thing against vermin because he's a "Classic Redwaller" (read: A rascist), but no morals to justify holding back the torture and stuff.

Quote from: LT Sandpaw on July 28, 2016, 01:18:18 AM
Are you saying he's definitely, without a doubt dead? :'( Because that whole thing was just a big giant wink wink ;) to give Seacloak a reason to be alive. ;D ;)

Even if he survives the arrow to the neck, fall into the pit, and doesn't get killed by Sheba, he's still stuck at the bottom of a pit in a city that hates him, where his guards are only loyal to him due to fear. Even if the loyalists won the melee at the grandstands, they'd probably see him stuck down there and finish him off with arrows or boulders or something. I just don't see a way to let Seacloak AND One-Ear live, but... Well, gimme some time and I'll see what I can do.

Hickory

Just don't forget to of me know when I can post with Asher and the team.

Prezzers, I'll be putting up a few new character sheets soon.

Groddil

Quote from: Sagetip on July 28, 2016, 02:34:09 AM
Just don't forget to of me know when I can post with Asher and the team. I will. It might be a while, though.

Prezzers, I'll be putting up a few new character sheets soon. Same.