News:

Moderator activity in progress. Please, be patient. ~ Sincerely, The Staff

Main Menu

Recommended books

Started by Cornflower MM, May 08, 2016, 01:24:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jukka the Sling

I've heard that GSaW is sorta a ripoff because it's just the earlier version of TKaM or something.  You'd have to look into it before quoting me on that, though.
"The world is indeed full of peril, and in it there are many dark places; but still there is much that is fair, and though in all lands love is now mingled with grief, it grows perhaps the greater." ~J.R.R. Tolkien

Eulaliaaa!

Hmm... I did look it up and saw a lot of people were disappointed. I think I'll just get it at the library instead of spending money on it.
Just pretend there is something interesting and unique written here... I have nothing to say.

Skyblade

A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle. Short and easy read with a lot of thought and imagination.

Thanks, MatthiasMan, for the avatar!

Hickory

In regards to GSaW, it wasn't ever meant to be published. Harper Lee had started to write it and stopped, and once her sister died there was no one to stop a company from publishing the unfinished manuscript. It's not so much a sequel as a rough draft.
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

The Skarzs

Quote from: Skyblade on June 14, 2016, 01:56:03 PM
A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle. Short and easy read with a lot of thought and imagination.
Holy cow, that book was strange, in my eyes. I remember having a rant about it to my mom after I was done. All the concepts were so. . . *shudder*. . . otherworldly. "It" was just creepy. The whole darkness spreading thing seemed rather. . . overcomplicated? It seemed to be trying to explain a mental thing of the real world in a physical way of an abstract world.

Needless to say, I'm not going to read it again. Probably.
Also, don't see the movie. EVER.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Hickory

Quote from: Skarzs on June 15, 2016, 12:24:56 AM
Holy cow, that book was strange, in my eyes. I remember having a rant about it to my mom after I was done. All the concepts were so. . . *shudder*. . . otherworldly. "It" was just creepy. The whole darkness spreading thing seemed rather. . . overcomplicated? It seemed to be trying to explain a mental thing of the real world in a physical way of an abstract world.

Skyblade

O_____________________________________________o

That actually makes me want to see the movie. Personally, I thought the novel was interesting (although, yes, a bit creepy at times).

~~~

@Depression sufferers: There's a reputable book called Feeling Good: The New Mood Therapy by David Burns that I recommend.

Thanks, MatthiasMan, for the avatar!

Jukka the Sling

I basically read all of Lord of the Flies yesterday in about four hours.  The writing was a bit confusing in places (like, it was hard to tell who was talking sometimes), but it was definitely thought-provoking, and I recommend it.

SPOILERY RANT

(Um, yes, I copy-and-pasted this part from The Most Random Thread Ever.  Not that anyone actually noticed that post. :P)

I knew about Piggy already 'cause I'm stupid like that, so it wasn't as bad for me as it could've been, but WHY SIMON?!?!?!  WHYYYYYYY?!?!?!?!  IT WAS HORRIBLE!!!!  And I had just been feeling relieved at his escape because I was sure that the hunting party was gonna mistake him for a pig and kill him by accident, but then what actually happened was even worse!  And then... that quietly painful scene with the moonlit ocean was horrendously, achingly beautiful and just yanked all my heartstrings. :'(  GAHHHHHHH.

On the bright side, at least Samneric didn't die.  I was so concerned that they would.
[close]

Another series I finished recently is The Mortality Doctrine by James Dashner.  The first book has shallow characterization, but the series gets way better in the other two books.  Recommended.
"The world is indeed full of peril, and in it there are many dark places; but still there is much that is fair, and though in all lands love is now mingled with grief, it grows perhaps the greater." ~J.R.R. Tolkien

Jukka the Sling

Revive!

Read the Beyonders trilogy by Brandon Mull, okay?  It's way better than The Maze Runner.

Delthion

Quote from: Skarzs on June 15, 2016, 12:24:56 AM

Too late! Already did! ;D
Dreams, dreams are untapped and writhing. How much more real are dreams than that paltry existence which we now call reality? How shall we ascend to that which humanity is destined? By mastering the dreamworld of course. That is how, my pupils, that is how.

Captain Tammo

Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand was a bit long (it's notorious for being one of the longest novels out there at 550,000+ words), but I really enjoyed it in the end! It was very engaging and took me about a month to finish, spending at least 2 hours a day reading it. Getting it as an audio book helps, although the one I used alongside the book was about 50-ish hours long. Great, great story, though!

Hyperion by Dan Simmons was also a great Sci-Fi novel. I'm on the second book in that series now, called Hyperion has Fallen - it's a really cool set of stories so far!
"Cowards die a thousand times, a warrior only dies once. The spirits of all you have slain are watching you, Vilu Daskar, and they will rest in peace now that your time has come. You must die as you have lived, a coward to the last!" -Luke the warrior

alexandre

The Chronicles of Mistmantle are great. similar setting to that of Redwall, Hedgehogs moles otters squirrels etc
Why they try to tear the mountains down to bring in a couple more
More people, more scars upon the land

~ John Denver

And daddy won't you take me back to Muhlenberg County
Down by the Green River where Paradise lay
Well, I'm sorry my son, but you're too late in asking
Mister Peabody's coal train has hauled it away

~ John Prine

Hickory

Quote from: Capt. Leonardo V Williams on August 07, 2016, 12:35:48 AM
Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand was a bit long (it's notorious for being one of the longest novels out there at 550,000+ words), but I really enjoyed it in the end! It was very engaging and took me about a month to finish, spending at least 2 hours a day reading it. Getting it as an audio book helps, although the one I used alongside the book was about 50-ish hours long. Great, great story, though!

Hyperion by Dan Simmons was also a great Sci-Fi novel. I'm on the second book in that series now, called Hyperion has Fallen - it's a really cool set of stories so far!
On the other hand, Anthem is short and sweet. Another good book.

Captain Tammo

Quote from: Sagetip on August 07, 2016, 10:16:36 PM
Quote from: Capt. Leonardo V Williams on August 07, 2016, 12:35:48 AM

On the other hand, Anthem is short and sweet. Another good book.

I haven't tried that one yet, but I'll give it a shot!
"Cowards die a thousand times, a warrior only dies once. The spirits of all you have slain are watching you, Vilu Daskar, and they will rest in peace now that your time has come. You must die as you have lived, a coward to the last!" -Luke the warrior

Hickory

It's very anti-communistic, but that's to be expected.