News:

We're doing a read-along of the Redwall series! The current book is The Sable Quean!

Main Menu

Phobia

Started by Ashleg, June 23, 2016, 12:16:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Delthion

Yes and no? I suppose? ;D

Fear of everlasting torment? ;D

Dreams, dreams are untapped and writhing. How much more real are dreams than that paltry existence which we now call reality? How shall we ascend to that which humanity is destined? By mastering the dreamworld of course. That is how, my pupils, that is how.

Søren

Not at all

Fear of being alone?

I'm retired from the forum

Edraithel

No. I don't want to end up living my life alone but I'm not afraid of being alone.

Fear of becoming paralyzed from the neck down?

"A cage," she said. "To stay behind bars, until use and old age accept them, and all chance of doing great deeds is gone beyond recall or desire." - Eowyn, Lord of the Rings

"Listen for the destination in your heart if you lose sight of your path." D. Gray Man

Delthion

Yes.

Just so you guys know, it's not fear of this possibly happening sometime in your life, this is if it WAS going to happen to you, would be scared.

Fear of a billion paper cuts?

Dreams, dreams are untapped and writhing. How much more real are dreams than that paltry existence which we now call reality? How shall we ascend to that which humanity is destined? By mastering the dreamworld of course. That is how, my pupils, that is how.

Rosie Willowwater

*Whimpers in a corner*

Fear of falling off a tall building?

James Gryphon

I think that's likely. I get woozy standing on stepladders.

Fear of losing IQ points?
« Subject to editing »

Delthion

Yes.

Fear of being trapped in a tiny cage covered in tarantulas?

Skyblade

...actually, I'm curious what that'd be like.

A question that might've been answered earlier: When do we call something a fear? Honestly, I'm scared of pretty much everything that's been mentioned, to an extent; they're unpleasant situations. But that doesn't mean I run around all day worrying about them. Doesn't a line need to be drawn between a cautionary reaction to danger and a legitimate fear of something? The thing is that fear is subjective, and we're all making our judgments using different measures.

PS. I'm not keeping track of my score or trying to win; I just want to see how people feel about different stressors.

Anyway, fear of fear.

Thanks, MatthiasMan, for the avatar!

Ashleg

To answer your question, Something that you'd (actually) be scared of if it was going to apply to you counts as a fear.
It can range from as little as a discomfort to a full blown fear but that's all up to the person.

And.
No.

Fear of word searches?
I dread them.

Skyblade

Hmm, interesting. And no, I enjoy word searches ;D

Fear of uncertainty? (You can't be sure of anything)

Quote from: Delthion on October 11, 2016, 10:34:09 PMJust so you guys know, it's not fear of this possibly happening sometime in your life, this is if it WAS going to happen to you, would be scared.
This would've been nice to see earlier, Skyblade :P

James Gryphon

Quote from: Ashleg on October 16, 2016, 05:27:53 AM
To answer your question, Something that you'd (actually) be scared of if it was going to apply to you counts as a fear.
Eh, I don't think that's good. This way you can make up totally ridiculous scenarios that would never ever happen, but that people would have to be lying if they said they wouldn't be afraid of it if it was going to happen.

Like:

Fear of being thrown into a giant blender and turned into a smoothie? ::)

It's more fun and tells you more about other people if it's something that is actually real and could apply to people's lives, and if its chance of happening is a legitimate part of the question.
« Subject to editing »

Skyblade

I agree with James. And that post was funny ;D

Fear of uncertainty again (You can't be sure of anything.)

Ashleg

Innit more fun to be able to make up funny scenarios?

Anyway, er.
This is gonna sound sad but that's how it's been for me ever since I was a teenager.
Yes.

Fear of interaction (in person.)

James Gryphon

Eh, not really, not for a game like this. It takes any strategic depth that the game might have had out of it.

If the scenarios are judged by their plausibility, you have to try to judge who's likely to respond and what fears they could realistically have, to avoid risking getting "No" answers (and thus zero points). That way is also, like I said, a better way of getting to know somebody.

Done otherwise, it's just like bad "Corrupt-a-Wish" stories, where every new one is another ridiculous way of dying, rewarded by the inevitable 1 point (or the author justifiably calling foul afterwards if it isn't).

To answer your phobia question: I suppose so, to a certain extent. I have a harder time talking to people I know than strangers. I might be getting better at it lately, but not so much that I'd consider this solved.

Fear of standing on a trapdoor that opens up, then falling and being turned into a frog, and finally being pulled out of a bowl and eaten by Jabba the Hutt?

« Subject to editing »

Kitsune

Not terribly.

Fear of the presidential candidates?