News:

Cheers to an Auspicious Autumn, Ev'rybeast! Enjoy a hot cider and the cool breezes, as the year dwindles to its end. . .

Main Menu

2016 Presidential Elections

Started by Hickory, September 03, 2016, 03:29:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

James Gryphon

Quote from: Søren on September 27, 2016, 03:36:37 AM
Quote from: James Gryphon on September 27, 2016, 02:59:17 AM
I cringe when these people start interrupting each other and the moderator.
Because you're a mod yourself? ;)
;)

It just strikes me as dreadfully disrespectful of the rules which they've agreed to, as well as the others involved in the debate. I wouldn't be opposed to shutting off the candidate's mike when they start going over. The candidates might grouse for a little bit, but I think they'd get with the program eventually.

On the first debate: Trump's campaign manager Conway, who seems to be as hyperbolically gifted as her boss, claimed a few days ago that Donald Trump was the Babe Ruth of debating. I guess I can understand why she'd think so; after all, the saying goes that Babe struck out more than anyone else in baseball.

Hillary Clinton isn't very likable, honest, or even a great debater in her own right, but she at least lives in two dimensions. Donald Trump is like a particularly basic video game boss, who repeats the same moves over and over and doesn't pay any heed to the context of the fight.

From the part of the debate I saw (most of the first half of it) before it got too painful to keep listening, overall Hillary had the edge.
« Subject to editing »

LT Sandpaw

I did not appreciate Trump's performance in this debate. I suppose in the beginning he did fine, keeping true to his basic ideals. Yet somehow later on he kept falling for her traps, and talking about stuff he shouldn't be talking about. I don't think he lost, at least not horribly, but certainly didn't win.

I couldn't believe the amount of lies that were pouring from both of their mouths though, and the sheer idiocy. To Trump's credit, I don't think most of those were intentional, he just has a problem being seen as bad in the slightest, so be blubbers half truths to cover it up, and he kept forgetting the questions, going off on bunny trails about how great his company is. Honestly that's not a bad thing to hear once in the debate, but after the fifth or sixth time it got a little old.

He really should have focused more on where he was winning, when Hillary charged him with not paying federal taxes, he should have attacked her right back about the emails and how she covered them all up. He should not talk about how it makes himself smart finding loopholes in the national law. Sure it makes him smart, but that's not what people want to hear, God.

And lord, he should never have said anything about temperaments, I have no idea what his strategy was there, but nah, not a good plan.

So Trump did some things right, he defended the rights to individual citizens, he promised at least three hundred times to bring back jobs, and he made it clear he wanted to get more law and order, and use that to help build up the inner cities. He didn't dive headlong into the race issue, a huge bonus there for not saying something stupid about that, and I think he might have won some black voters, so good for him.

As for Hillary, well she played this like a Politian, which might have been good for Trump if he hadn't been trying to play it as a Politian. Her main strategy was to dodge the questions by listing off a bunch of things she'll do for people, and then spouting some media driven lie about Trump. Or she'd make some sort of blab about Trumpeconomics, Trumpthis, and Trumpthat This would reel him in, and Trump would do a fairly good job of defending himself, but then would have no time to attack back. One could tell from how the audience acted she had a lot of supporters in the room so she was playing on the home field, and I'd say that the moderator was definitely helping Hillary out.

While she was as dishonest as always, she certainly did a better job of it then Trump. She fought a losing battle over the Iraq war B that they kept bringing up though. I don't understand why they are both so against it, but whatever, an appeal to some voters I guess. I hate that Hillary mentioned a fact checker on her website. This was a terrible move on her part, and she definitely should have mentioned how it wasn't her website, but on someone else's, and how they set it up to keep both candidates honest. No one is going to trust a fact checker, on the website of the biggest liar in America. That was a seriously bad move on her part. Also the way she kept going on about how financial professionals had looked at their two plans, and detailed that hers was better and his would cost jobs. That's just not honest, and its an appeal to those who weren't actually going to take the time to look at her plan, which is practically the same thing as Obama's, and look where that got us. Lots more debt. To put it plain financial experts have looked at both plans and have agreed that Hillary's will keep us steadily going downhill, and they aren't sure where Trump's will take us. But it isn't fair to say her plan wont add any debt, because that's ##:1046 and she certainly shouldn't raise the minimum wage, because that isn't going to help anything. Making college debt free would be a disaster, and claiming these things boost the economy is a downright fib, and they have been proven in every other country -that's tried it- to be a failure.

And honestly, they have absolutely no idea what either of them are talking about when it comes to Cyber security. I was just waiting for one of them to say something like, "This is an issue that the US can deal with like any other, I'll rely on our leading edge technology, and the loyal American professionals to help deal, and stay ahead of this problem."

Instead they just went on rants about how they'd do a better job at the head of this, and how their opponent would fail the nation.

Over the course of this debate I wanted to stab my eye out several times, both of them were almost intolerable, I'm just glad I was able to get through it without losing support of Trump. I really expected better from him. And Hillary was just lying and needling her way through it the whole time, so she probably didn't lose any voters, but I don't think she would have gained any either.

To tell you the truth James, Gary Johnson the social justice warrior is looking a lot better every day. You might have something going there, though he's not much better, I'll keep an eye on him.

That's just some of my thoughts from the debate. What'd ya'll see? Anything I missed or you disagree with?

"Sometimes its not about winning, but how you lose." - John Gwynne

"Facts don't care about your feelings." -Ben Shapiro

CaptainRocktree

Totally agree.

In the words of Trump, the debate was a disaster. However I'm still supporting Trump because there is no way I will let Hillary get in the white house.  Gary wouldn't be that bad, but I still disagree with him on some important issues... Anyways, here is my political stances http://www.isidewith.com/elections/2016-presidential/2620174261
Not all those who wander are lost.
J.R.R Tolkien

Jetthebinturong

Donaldo wants to use nukes. Vote for someone who doesn't want to use nukes. Also Hillary's already been inside the White House, she's the wife of a former president. Meanwhile good ol' Trumpykins is a liar, a bully, a sexist, a racist and quite possibly a rapist (and frankly, I wouldn't put that past him).
"In the meantime, no one should roam the camp alone. Use the buddy system."
"Understood." Will looked at Nico. "Will you be my buddy?"
"You're a dork," Nico announced.
~ The Hidden Oracle, Rick Riordan

Hickory

Did you see the way he was holding his daughter in that one picture? A pervert if I ever saw one. There was a huge PSB on Reddit too.
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

Jetthebinturong

I mean, he said if Yvanka wasn't his daughter that he might date her. Like, that is so not an okay thing to say.

Hickory

*adjusts microphone, sips water*

CaptainRocktree

@Jet I don't want to get into get into a argument or anything... But I couldn't disagree more.
J.R.R Tolkien

Jetthebinturong

Everything I've said has been factually correct (if you're talking about the rapist thing, his ex-wife accused him of it). You can look it up if you want.

CaptainRocktree

Yet you support Hillary? Oh yeah, Here's her acomplishments:

• Flunked the D.C. Bar Exam.
• Was removed from her House Judiciary Committee staffer job because of incompetence and lying.
• The Whitewater scandal.
• Married a serial liar and cheater
• Lied about "sniper fire" in an attempt to simulate exposure to danger in a war zone.
• The subject of a "vast right-wing conspiracy" that led to the impeachment and disbarment of her husband
• Took crockery, furniture, artwork and other items from the White House — had to return and/or pay for them.
• Said "what difference, at this point, does it make" about four brave people killed in Libya as a direct result of her failure to protect them on the anniversary of 9/11.
• Totally ignored the structure and rules for the handling of sensitive national security information.
• Amassed a personal fortune with "speaking fees" and payments from private sector political donors and foreign governments into transparent "foundations" in obvious exchange for future political favor.

And were just scratching the surface.
J.R.R Tolkien

Kitsune

I think both candidates are bloody awful. I'm glad I don't live in the US.

-Things I wish I could say

Hickory

About the last one: Trump hasn't exactly been legal with his foundation either. He's used money for himself on multiple occasions, and it's obvious that he's not exactly responsible with the money he already has.

CaptainRocktree

Yeah, he's not very good with his money... He only has 10 billion dollars.
J.R.R Tolkien

Jetthebinturong

He's also described forcing people out of their homes as good business and said that avoiding tax makes him smart. He's not published his medical history, yet he demands it of Hillary, and has not published his full tax returns. Then there's the fact that he knows nothing about politics.

Hillary may be a horrible politically, but Trump is horrible politically and personally.

LT Sandpaw

Hillary also threatened one of Bill Clinton's rape victims to keep her silent. You think she isn't horrible personally?

And Jet, Trump said in the debate that he thinks nukes are one of the greatest threats to America, so this fear mongering you're trying to spread isn't true. He isn't going to go around launching nukes at anyone.

He's built a great company, its an amazing company, he's built an amazing company, and let him tell you, he is very proud of it, its an amazing company, let him say this, its a great company, a massive company, he's very proud of it..."
I'll say this, when he gets elected I hope he never goes to a UN meeting.

"Sometimes its not about winning, but how you lose." - John Gwynne

"Facts don't care about your feelings." -Ben Shapiro