News:

For some, the heat of summer nears its end. . . And for others, the blooms of spring appear.

Main Menu

2016 Presidential Elections

Started by Hickory, September 03, 2016, 03:29:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Banya

One thing that's really stood out to me in this thread is that, compared to most other (religious, social, etc.) debates we have on the forum, the opposing sides in this political debate aren't trying to build up their sides. There haven't been examples of "Here is what I want to see done that this candidate promises to do" and "This is what my candidate stands for and why I stand for this candidate." It's all been "Well, at least this candidate didn't do this."
It's not a problem with the debaters. The debating is healthy. It's a problem with the debate material. We're trying to argue our views and argue for our candidates, but our views and our candidates don't line up with each other, and it's making it really difficult to say, "I respect what you're saying and here is how I disagree."

LT Sandpaw

Quote from: Banya on November 07, 2016, 09:18:20 PM
One thing that's really stood out to me in this thread is that, compared to most other (religious, social, etc.) debates we have on the forum, the opposing sides in this political debate aren't trying to build up their sides. There haven't been examples of "Here is what I want to see done that this candidate promises to do" and "This is what my candidate stands for and why I stand for this candidate." It's all been "Well, at least this candidate didn't do this."
It's not a problem with the debaters. The debating is healthy. It's a problem with the debate material. We're trying to argue our views and argue for our candidates, but our views and our candidates don't line up with each other, and it's making it really difficult to say, "I respect what you're saying and here is how I disagree."

You know, that's a really good point. I think that's kinda the result of having a narcissist Republican candidate and a Democratic candidate that might get arrested. :P

"Sometimes its not about winning, but how you lose." - John Gwynne

"Facts don't care about your feelings." -Ben Shapiro

Grond

Nobody in this thread, from what I've seen, believes that one the candidates is awesome. It's more of a disagreement between candidate people think is the worse. Hence they will choose to vote for the one they view as the lesser of the two evils. But anyway regarding debating, I don't personally see anywhere in this thread where the line was crossed ie that people started using ad hominine arguments or personal attacks. I would also add that conversations where everyone agrees get pretty boring fast, civil disagreement is a good thing. I am genuinely curious what would constitute as a borderline rude or offensive post in this thread ?

Cornflower MM

The lesser of two evils is still evil. . . . Anyway. It's not exactly rude posts, but some of us (*Glares at Jet and Sand*) take debating waaay too seriously and things get really heated. And awful. So. . . . .

LT Sandpaw

I have a hard time singing happy songs and holding hands with people I consider wrong. I find agreeing to disagree difficult to accomplish in the best of circumstances, but especially so when the future of America is on the line. :-\

Still Flor supports my earlier point, this whole thing is like choosing between death by lion, or death by viper. Still Mike Pence is a worthy VP, he deserves the office, he's kinda the thing that I stake my moral vote on.

Jetthebinturong

Whereas I hold Mike Pence in the same esteem as I hold Trump. Don't know a thing about Hillary's VP though. Don't even know their name or gender.
"In the meantime, no one should roam the camp alone. Use the buddy system."
"Understood." Will looked at Nico. "Will you be my buddy?"
"You're a dork," Nico announced.
~ The Hidden Oracle, Rick Riordan

alexandre

Quote from: Jet the binturong on November 08, 2016, 03:13:10 AM
Whereas I hold Mike Pence in the same esteem as I hold Trump. Don't know a thing about Hillary's VP though. Don't even know their name or gender.

Tim Kaine, he's a man, ok I guess. Thought I think Hillary should have chosen someone that actually gets people excited like Elizabeth Warren, Bernie Sanders, or Joe Biden, because she is really lacking in the excitement department, and a lot of people need that boost of excitement to inspire them to vote, as y'all probably know by now, I'm very liberal, but I'll give Trump that he is way more charismatic than Clinton, and charisma is a big part of what gets people to vote, especially young people a block that Hillary isn't doing to well in. So though Tim Kaine is a perfectly good choice as far as working with Clinton, I don't think he is really helping her get elected.

Quote from: Peony on November 08, 2016, 02:07:26 AM
The lesser of two evils is still evil. . . . Anyway. It's not exactly rude posts, but some of us (*Glares at Jet and Sand*) take debating waaay too seriously and things get really heated. And awful. So. . . . .

Wait? I take pride in my serious debates, I don't get a glare, and what do you mean by awful? As said earlier, no personal attacks have occured and I trust they won't. As for serious, well true it does get serious, A lot of people care a lot about the election. But I hope that what happens in this topic stays in this topic and we can still go on as friends recognizing our differences and discussing them in appropriate topics, like this one.
Why they try to tear the mountains down to bring in a couple more
More people, more scars upon the land

~ John Denver

And daddy won't you take me back to Muhlenberg County
Down by the Green River where Paradise lay
Well, I'm sorry my son, but you're too late in asking
Mister Peabody's coal train has hauled it away

~ John Prine

The Skarzs

She tries not to hurt new people.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Ashleg

It'd be funny if these people were paid behind the scenes to act a certain way in order to preform a social experiment or something to see how absurd someone could act and still get voters. :'D

The Skarzs

You mean like some of the illegible candidates on the roster, like Deez Nuts? ::)
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

alexandre

Quote from: Skarzs on November 08, 2016, 04:37:45 AM
She tries not to hurt new people.

How long 'till I'm not new and my debating seriousness can be fully recognized? I've already begun helping out in the kitchens : p

Also no, Ashleg, that would not be funny, that would be creepy, and not surprising.

Conspiracy theory: What if Trump and Clinton planned this election so that Trump would try to win the primaries, and would lose to Clinton on purpose? It makes sense right, with the whole lesser of two evils thing, that was planned, Hillary would definitely lose to any of the other republican candidates, and all this info about Trump sexually assaulting people, how come that stuff was only uncovered recently, it wasn't that difficult to dig up from what I hear.

I don't necessarily believe any of this but I would like to put it out there for discussion.
Why they try to tear the mountains down to bring in a couple more
More people, more scars upon the land

~ John Denver

And daddy won't you take me back to Muhlenberg County
Down by the Green River where Paradise lay
Well, I'm sorry my son, but you're too late in asking
Mister Peabody's coal train has hauled it away

~ John Prine

Groddil

Unrelated news:

1) When do we find out the results? Like, how many hours from now.

Hickory

Polls close at 8 here in Ohio, that's when they should start counting.
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

LT Sandpaw

Quote from: alexandre on November 08, 2016, 05:16:45 AM

Conspiracy theory: What if Trump and Clinton planned this election so that Trump would try to win the primaries, and would lose to Clinton on purpose? It makes sense right, with the whole lesser of two evils thing, that was planned, Hillary would definitely lose to any of the other republican candidates, and all this info about Trump sexually assaulting people, how come that stuff was only uncovered recently, it wasn't that difficult to dig up from what I hear.

I don't necessarily believe any of this but I would like to put it out there for discussion.

You know news companies like CNN are in the Clinton's pocket. And WikiLeaks has revealed some interesting discussions between mainstream media and the Clinton campaign, basically saying they wanted Trump, or Cruz to win the Primaries so that the Media could pound on them and hopefully win the election for Clinton. The plan was to report positively on Trump or Cruz until the Primaries were over, and then switch to full on attack mode, which we all saw, don't try to deny it. Except... The plan didn't work out the way they expected.

It was assumed the media would be able to destroy Trump the way they destroyed Romney. That didn't happen though, and now the media are making themselves out as fools as they desperately attack Trump every day with absurd charges. So your 'conspiracy theory' isn't entirely off track.

Anyway off to vote.

Cornflower MM

Quote from: alexandre on November 08, 2016, 03:37:06 AM

Quote from: Peony on November 08, 2016, 02:07:26 AM

Wait? I take pride in my serious debates, I don't get a glare, and what do you mean by awful? As said earlier, no personal attacks have occured and I trust they won't. As for serious, well true it does get serious, A lot of people care a lot about the election. But I hope that what happens in this topic stays in this topic and we can still go on as friends recognizing our differences and discussing them in appropriate topics, like this one.

You're new. I haven't seen much of you yet, so I dunno how you'll react, so I leave you alone. (Although I really want to thump all three of you on the head) By awful I mean it's like you start to attack each other but not! I'm not just speaking about this thread either. And I hate seeing stuff like that. It literally ruins my day. So yeah it's awful. I'mma ignore Sand's post so I don't blow my top.

What I came to say is - Have a safe election day, guys. For whatever reason it's important to you. So, be safe. At least.