4 (80%)
Volkite.
1 (20%)
Flamer.
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 15

Lady Ashenwyte

Question.

5 man tactical support squad or 10 man tactical support squad? They'll be used to support 40 marines with boltguns (basic guns) by taking out threat massed boltgun fire can't deal with.
The fastest way to a man's heart- Or anyone's, in fact- Is to tear a hole through their chest.

Indeed. You are as ancient as the soot that choked Pompeii into oblivion, though not quite as uncaring. - Rusvul

Just a butterfly struggling through my chrysalis.

Banya

No context? There are so many things to consider.

Lady Ashenwyte

The fastest way to a man's heart- Or anyone's, in fact- Is to tear a hole through their chest.

Indeed. You are as ancient as the soot that choked Pompeii into oblivion, though not quite as uncaring. - Rusvul

Banya

My considerations included...

Does the opposing army have a division for infiltration? Among ten members in taktical gear, it would be more difficult to notice the infiltrators. 5 members would allow them to move faster as a group; 10 members allow them to split into groups of 2 if the situation calls for it. If the enemy is such that 40 marines with basic guns are a match for the majority of the threat, 5 members might be enough, but how great is the threat that massed boltgun can't deal with? 10 seems like the most obvious choice, so is there a catch to having a larger taktical squad? Am I overthinking this?

Lady Ashenwyte

It's the Horus Heresy, so it's default 20 man squads. It's also a boardgame so the opponents can see all my troops and their positioning. The enemy has the same basic troops and vehicles as I do, and if they come into less than 12 inches I get to shoot them twice, so that'd be 40 boltgun shots at one unfortunate enemy squad. They're there to deal with things like heavily armoured Terminators and vehicles. They'll ideally be pushing the centre with sorcerers and a terminator squad to help, with a different type of terminators and bikes ravaging the flanks, with magic shenanigans everywhere.

And no, you;re not overthinking this.

Banya

That's a lot going on. Can the taktical squad effectively combat magic shenanigans? What do the taktical squad have to content with that the others can't?

Lady Ashenwyte

My army is the main magic army, so the tactical squads don't need to. The tacs have to contend with a lot of stuff firing at them and they will die a lot.

Banya

If you expect them to die, a team of 10 would be best.

Lady Ashenwyte

Squads are cheaper when their bigger so the meatshields tac marines should be fine.

Banya

Lady Ashenwyte

Lady Ashenwyte

Poll updated.

Plasma has 24" range, is effective against infantry and vehicles, but has a chance to blow up on a roll of 1.

Volkite has 15" range, absolutely massacres infantry, and has an ability that if it inflicts a wound, inflicts another wound on the unit.

Flamers use a template, destroy infantry, and are cheap.

What should I equip my Tactical support squad with?

Hickory

Volkite is a nice balance, better go with that.
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

Feles

Plasma.
you said there were vehicles in the enemy army right?
I am the harbinger of the spicy rooster apocalypse,
I am the hydrogen bomb in a necktie,
I hold the flames of a thousand collapsed stars,
I am Bobracha!

Groddil