News:

For some, the heat of summer nears its end. . . And for others, the blooms of spring appear.

Main Menu

Tammo's Fan Fiction Competition: you've got one shot!

Started by Captain Tammo, April 20, 2019, 09:20:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Tammo

By community request and my slow reaction skills, I bring you...

WOO! So what are the details?

The theme: the theme of the competition is, "You only have one shot!" All fanfic entries must incorporate that phrase - or a close variation of it - into their story. The rest is all up to you. If your story does not have dialogue, then find a creative way to convey this same message very clearly. I thought it'd be fun to see how people interpret one phrase differently!

Length: Exactly as long as it needs to be to tell the story! But please keep it in the style of a one-shot (i.e. one entry or chapter). The entry can be an excerpt from an existing fanfic you wrote, so long as you find a way to incorporate the theme into it!

Judging: will be done by yours truly! I'm just looking for a good yarn, but reach out via PM or comment below if you have specific questions!

Timeline: the competition begins as soon as you read this (i.e. right now!) and ends May 31st, or when it's deemed that all the forum members who'd like to participate have already submitted. Whichever comes first!

Prizes: This is a more casual competition, and you'll be competing largely for the fun of it, bragging rights and to distinguish your work in our community. If you're interested in offering something as a prize, please send me a message!

Most importantly, how to enter: to enter, just post your fanfic on the board and include [Tammo's Competition] in the subject line. I'll come read it and let you know when I've finished!

That covers it! Get busy, you've only got one shot!
"Cowards die a thousand times, a warrior only dies once. The spirits of all you have slain are watching you, Vilu Daskar, and they will rest in peace now that your time has come. You must die as you have lived, a coward to the last!" -Luke the warrior

The Grey Coincidence

So if it's for an existing piece of work would I add the tag-line to the title of the work or publish separately? And if it's the former, how exactly do I add a tag-line to the title?
Also yay, fanfic contest, and double yay the 31st of May is miles away! I have time!
*Goes to celebrate*
Profile by the wonderful Vizon.

Also, behold this shiny medal! How I got it is a secret...

Also, also, I am running fanfic conteeeeeests!

Rosie Willowwater

My finals end May 31, but I would love to join this!

Do the characters of the fanfic have to be from Redwall?

MathLuk

By what strange trick of fate do our paths cross anew?

Link to the Redwall Readership Restorers: https://discord.gg/frYkSzE

The Grey Coincidence

Captain Tammo

Quote from: Rosie Willowwater on April 25, 2019, 03:02:05 AM
Do the characters of the fanfic have to be from Redwall?

Well, the fanfiction must be Redwall or Brian Jacques-esque in its telling. Hence the "Fan Fiction" title. So an original work in a different genre wouldn't be a great fit for something like this. But if you're just curious about where the characters are from, it's okay to make up your own and/or use existing characters from the stories!

Quote from: The Grey Coincidence on April 22, 2019, 01:41:18 PM
So if it's for an existing piece of work would I add the tag-line to the title of the work or publish separately? And if it's the former, how exactly do I add a tag-line to the title?

If it's an existing piece already on the forum and on the fanfiction board, just go to your first post in that topic, click the "modify post" button and in the subject line, add [Tammo's Competition] after the title. That way everyone knows it's competing. If the fic is a few pages back in our enormous collection on this board, I'm okay if you give the fic a bump to bring it back to the front page.

If you really like someone else's work and want to encourage them to join, @ them here in the comments below. They may want to join but haven't seen this yet!
"Cowards die a thousand times, a warrior only dies once. The spirits of all you have slain are watching you, Vilu Daskar, and they will rest in peace now that your time has come. You must die as you have lived, a coward to the last!" -Luke the warrior

MathLuk

Quote from: Captain Tammo on April 27, 2019, 06:09:18 PM
Well, the fanfiction must be Redwall or Brian Jacques-esque in its telling. Hence the "Fan Fiction" title. So an original work in a different genre wouldn't be a great fit for something like this. But if you're just curious about where the characters are from, it's okay to make up your own and/or use existing characters from the stories!
Ouch.

Captain Tammo

Lol that's what fan fictions are! What were you planning on doing?

MathLuk

Captain Tammo

Hmmm.... anybody have a prompt that someone else could use in a short story if they're stumped?

The Grey Coincidence

Archery practice
Fateful battle
Dibbun stressing over abbeychool test
Gonna add this as well coz it has potential:
Abbeybeasts go nest-raiding to collect bird feathers for all their puffy pillows.

Delthion

Quote from: Captain Tammo on May 16, 2019, 12:45:39 AM
Hmmm.... anybody have a prompt that someone else could use in a short story if they're stumped?

Unknown meteor-like object crash landing on the old St. Ninian's plot.
Dreams, dreams are untapped and writhing. How much more real are dreams than that paltry existence which we now call reality? How shall we ascend to that which humanity is destined? By mastering the dreamworld of course. That is how, my pupils, that is how.

The Grey Coincidence

In case you haven't already seen (and coz you seem to like Fanfiction)
@Jack the Quick

Jack the Quick

Yeah I like fan fiction and stories, but I'm having trouble getting ideas and I don't have time to start one (at least for this contest)
'I ate the sharpest tool in the shed'

"Inconceivable!" ~Vizzini, The Princess Bride

"Art is never complete, only abandoned," ~Leonardo da Vinci

Long live the RRR!!

Tungro

I have lots of ideas, but I suck at writing. Very slight chance I will have one up, but I will try