News:

For some, the heat of summer nears its end. . . And for others, the blooms of spring appear.

Main Menu

The Outlander Book 2

Started by SandyB, June 01, 2012, 11:56:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SandyB

BOOK 2 - SERVANT IN EXILE

An extract from the diary of Tim Churchmouse, recorder of events at Redwall Abbey in Mossflower Country.

The Spring of Strong Saplings has drawn to a glorious close with our Redwall father, Abbot Sedge christening the new season; Summer of the Orange Buttercup. When he was out in the abbey orchards a few mornings ago, he couldn't help but notice that the buttercup flowers had an orange tint to their colour. With the onset of summer, our Father Abbot seems excited that next autumn will be his second jubilee feast.
   Jube Stump and his sisters are already making preparations for it. Personally, I think that they're doing the sensible thing. Early preparation is the key to a successful feast. I wish that some of our friends were here to enjoy the lazy summer days ahead. Our warrior Mattimeo was gone south to the kingdom of Southsward to assist the king in matters regarding recent raids by corsairs. Some senior Mossflower patrol members have gone with him to help with the king's efforts. My sister Tess hopes that he will return soon for she misses him so much.
   Sometimes I don't see why. I must confess, ever since the passing of his father last autumn and combined with his mother passing away the following winter, he's become a completely different mouse. Badgermum Auma has found him countless times sleeping on the cold stones in Great Hall always in front of our grand tapestry. Always in front of the likeness of our hero Martin the Warrior. I think it's because he believes the only thing he can draw comfort from is our first warrior. Not that we've tried to help him but sometimes it feels he's grown cold to the touch of those that respect and love him. Both Tess and myself have lost our parents recently but our mourning has finished and all that matters is what lies ahead. However, my best friend seems more and more withdrawn.
   Nevertheless I am confident that when he returns he will feel a bit better. Perhaps that's what he needed all this time, a good long holiday from the duties and stress of abbey life. Some time away from the abbey to clear his mind and not to be constantly reminded of what has happened to him. Anyhow, I'm more concerned looking forward to the abbot's feast that is coming up very soon. I cannot wait, the music, the laughter and of course the food. I think I can taste the October ale already. If you are passing by early next autumn come and join us, there's always a spare seat at our table. The only thing we'll ask of you is that you bring a kind heart and a good yarn.

Tim Churchmouse, Abbey Recorder

Out on the southern trails of Mossflower woods a family of voles strolled west to get back to their home on the plains. The two older voles, husband and wife, were carrying food and supplies while the young female giggled as she chased butterflies along the path. "Don't stray too far Ivy, or you'll get lost,"
   "It's all right Topaz, she knows better," her husband said reassuringly, "and she's not made of glass,"
   "I know Francis, but after what she's been through I'd never forgive myself if something happened to her." Ivy's laughter slowly died away. Francis looked around and saw nobeast, he shook his head and sighed wearily, "Ah, where's she got to now?"
   "Exactly the same place yer goin'," a voice called out from the overgrowth. Without warning several murderous creatures rushed out of the forests' shadows, one holding a knife up to Ivy's throat. The leader of the group a vicious looking fox with his tail missing addressed the two cowering voles, "Well, what 'ave we got 'ere? Right you two, where you keepin' the good cheese and elderberry wine?"
   "We ain't got cheese an' wine, fox! Alls we 'ave is all we need until the next harvest," said Francis. Another fox snatched the sack full of food and looked inside. Fresh bread, wild berries, root vegetables and half a wheel of cheese. "Hey, I knew it," the fox Deathcap called out to his leader as he produced the cheese. "See, I told you lot they 'ad food and I was right!"
   "I'll take that Deathcap," the stoat Flatsnout said snatching the sack and cheese off Deathcap. "And no sly munchin', all this has gotta get back ter Scarface," he added. Ivy managed to struggle free of Stumptail's grip and ran into the forest with Deathcap and a weasel called Dripnose in pursuit. The young vole-maid picked up a large tree branch, wielding it like a club and connected it sharply with Dripnose's knee. Deathcap grabbed the stick trying to wrestle it from Ivy, but her grip was like iron. Flatsnout and Stumptail followed with the others of his band holding Francis and Topaz at knife point. "Let 'er be. She ain't done nothin'," cried Topaz. "Hey, if we let 'em live they'll probably make it ter Redwall and alert the Mossflower Patrol. It'd be best if we got rid of 'em," Flatsnout motioned. Deathcap managed to get the stick off Ivy and now held her up against a dead oak tree. "Yer a feisty liddle runt," he said as he held his dagger in his paw, "sweet dreams, young un!"
   Ivy opened her mouth to scream but no sound came out. Francis managed to struggle free of his captors and held Deathcap's paw back as he went to stab Ivy. "Lay so much as a scratch on the liddle un and I'll break your bones!" Deathcap elbowed Francis in the face cruelly, the vole landed flat on his back with Flatsnout standing on his chest so he couldn't move.
   CRRRRRAAASSSSSHHHHHH!
   Everybeast, bandit and victim alike, looked up and saw a nearby poplar tree fall with an almighty sound. A few seconds later another tree, a young elm, followed the poplar. Off in the overgrowth they saw a strange figure clad in armour approaching them, sword drawn. Slashing and hacking through the vegetation the stranger was on them, the armour was a style the bandits had never seen before. The strange warrior carried a knapsack over his shoulder. The faceplate of the helmet closed and fastened adding to the ferocity of his appearance.
   At first they all backed off not knowing who he was or what the stranger would do next. Dripnose was the first to grow bold, drawing his dagger from his waistband and holding it menacingly. However the warrior was more interested in Deathcap who was still holding Ivy up against the dead oak, dagger ready to stab. Deathcap released Ivy and turned on the warrior with his dagger. The stranger was agile and nimble dodging attack after attack and parried the last blow with his beautiful sword. Deathcap staggered backwards, the vibrations of the sword strike shaking him to the bone. The warrior now saw his chance, he ran Deathcap through with his sword and cut the blade free of the body with a sideways slash. Deathcap fell to the ground shuddering before he became motionless.
   The entire band of robbers stood completely astonished by the subtlety the warrior despatched their compatriot. Ivy ran and hid behind the dead tree she had been held against. "Now, get 'im," Flatsnout yelled as he charged at the stranger with two other robbers following him weapons drawn. Flatsnout missed his first attack and embedded the blade of his weapon in the trunk of a nearby beech tree. The stranger sliced upwards severing Flatsnout's right arm. The stoat fell to his knees in shock, nursing the stump where his arm had been. Dripnose was upon the stranger but was knocked out by the pummel on the bottom of the grip, "Dy dose, dy dose, de droke dy dose," he cried.
   Slyly, Stumptail broke open a phial of poison and soaked his blade in it, he then addressed the warrior, "Listen mate, we's don't want any more trouble. Look, we're goin'. We're just gonna go. Take the food, it's yours."
   The strange warrior sheathed his blade, Stumptail saw his chance. He tossed the dagger at the howling Dripnose. In a trice Dripnose stood up and made a stab. The warrior was slow to react as he reached for his sword, Dripnose found a chink in the armour and drove the weapon deep into the stranger's armpit. After yelping in pain, the warrior drew his sword and in one swift motion decapitated Dripnose, the head rolling on the leafy ground coming to a stop at Francis Vole's footpaws. The warrior turned towards Stumptail and the other bandits.
   Suddenly, he started to convulse as waves of sickness pulsated through his body. Stumptail laughed, "Hahaha, it's funny 'ow the mightiest of warriors are still suckers for poison!" The warrior dropped his sword and then fell. "Flatsnout, if you're still alive help with this'n. Oh, you two voles, don't go anywhere you're next," Stumptail said mockingly as he and Flatsnout rummaged through the warrior's possessions. Flatsnout had ripped off a piece of cloth from his shirt and tied a tourniquet around his right stump. The one thing that grabbed their attention the most was the masterly crafted sword. "Paws off the sword, that's mine," snarled Flatsnout as he held the point of his dagger at Stumptail's throat. The fox just brushed it aside, "Oi! Everything get's taken ter Scarface jus' like everythin' else."
   "But Scarface'll take that there sword just as he takes everthin' else,"
   "Shut up 'n' 'elp me look through this 'ere bag," Stumptail snapped as he rummaged through the knapsack. The first thing he found were thin wooden sticks encrusted with a sweet smelling poultice. Stumptail smelt them and then discarded them by throwing them over his shoulder. Flatsnout got out a stack of books and started flicking through them, "Can't understand the writin'."
   "Yer can't read full stop,"
   "I can't read but I know what some letters look like. But this..." Stumptail took the book and looked at the strange writing. He kept flicking through them until he came across an illustration. "'Ere, all these pictures are upside down," he said throwing them away like rubbish. Flatsnout had unfastened the faceplate and was astounded by what he saw, "Stumpy, he's a fox!" Stumptail couldn't believe it either, but it came at no surprise that one of his own kind tried to kill his band. As the fox warrior lay almost paralyzed, his eyes were swiveling from left to right.Trying to burn the faces into his mind, so he'd remember what they look like. "'Ere Stumpy, what about the voles?" asked one of his bandits.
   "They still alive? We better get rid of 'em quick bef-"
   "Reedwaalll!"
   Stumptail's eyes went wide upon hearing the war cry of the Redwall warrior. He looked up and saw the bodies of his accomplices lying motionless on the ground with barbed shafts sticking out of the bodies. Out of the overgrowth came the Mossflower Patrol led by Mattimeo the warrior. The mouse had his sword point up against Stumptail's throat. "You again, Stumptail," said Mattimeo. The fox began writhing under the point of the weapon, "Er, Mattimeo. I didn't know you were going to be back from Southsward so soon!"
   "The corsairs were defeated much sooner than we expected. Now would you kindly explain why my squirrel friends are comforting two traumatised voles?" The two squirrels Elmtail and Sam were comforting the vole family as Ivy ran to the fallen fox warrior. She knelt beside the fox stroking his whiskers tenderly.
   "Wow, look at this Matty," the otter Cheek said holding aloft the fox's sword. But Mattimeo's gaze turned towards the poisoned fox on the ground, "Who's he? Another one of your group?"
   "No," Francis Vole said, "you're probably not going to believe this Mattimeo but I think he was trying to save us."
   "Excuse me? A fox, save you? Don't be preposterous Mr. Vole," Mattimeo scoffed. "He probably wanted to kill the bandits and steal the food for himself," he continued. Sam was now knelt beside the strange fox, holding the blade of his short sword over his snout. When an area of the blade misted over the squirrel looked over his shoulder and called to his friend, "Matty, he's alive."
   "Leave him be, he's dying anyway," Mattimeo replied coldly. "May I remind you Mattimeo that it is one of Redwall's most upheld-"
   "I do not need to be lectured on the duties and oaths of Redwall by you," the warrior mouse snapped at Sam before turning back to Stumptail, "As for you vulpine, I never want to see neither hair nor hide of you ever again." Stumptail was so dumbstruck with fear he couldn't help but obey. Both him and Flatsnout ran off into the forest. The warrior mouse returned the sword of Martin to its' scabbard as Sam and Cheek helped the warrior fox to his footpaws while Elmtail and Ivy gathered up the possessions. Mattimeo carried the strange sword, drawing it from the sheath he stared in awe at the ripple effect of the steel and looked curiously at the strange writing.
Meanwhile in a secret den in the depths of Mossflower wood, Stumptail and Flatsnout had a lot to explain to the leader of their syndicate of thieves. The den was a cross between a tavern and a brothel, with a private chamber at the very back. In the chamber sat on a carved armchair was a big reynard fox with a long scar. It was because of this scar he earned his nickname, Scarface. Both Stumptail and Flatsnout have related the tale of the fox warrior. Scarface said nothing at first as he stared unmoved at his cohorts.
   "What I fail to understand..." Scarface began after Stumptail finished his report. "...is this: How, exactly, did one solitary warrior manage to best six of you?"
   "You didn't see 'im," Flatsnout argued.
   "He's right," Stumptail chimed in. "When he drew 'is sword it was like... like a blur! He finished off Deathcap 'n' Dripnose before we could react."
   Scarface raised an eyebrow, which made Flatsnout nervous. "So, er, we, well we tried ter-"
   "Oh stop yer snivelling Flatsnout! Any idea where this warrior is now? I would quite like ter meet 'im,"
   "We were almost scot free, then Mattimeo showed up an' 'e-"
   "The Redwall warrior has returned?"
   "Yes Scarface, 'im an' 'is Mossflower patrol carried 'im off ter the abbey," Stumptail chimed in. Scarface then sat slumped in his armchair and sighed wearily. "Marvelous!" He said, his voice dripping with sarcasm. "I expect that this warrior is now locked up tighter than a badgermum's chastity belt! I think it'd be best if we jus' let this un slide,". Flatsnout jumped to his footpaws his face the picture of insult, "Slide? Look wot 'e did ter me flippin' paw!"
   With great agility and somewhat grace Scarface took his axe and held the cutting edge up to Flatsnout's neck, "Don't ever raise yer voice ter me agin! Now then, I will not risk me entire band of robbers, thieves and fighters in an attack against Redwall Abbey. Real warriors have tried ter take that place by force over countless seasons and failed. You two made this mess, you two sort it out! Now leave me with my wench, I don't wanna be disturbed," he said returning to his armchair as a vixen licked his muzzle tenderly.
   As the heavy door to Scarface's private chamber shut behind them, Flatsnout punched the wall with annoyance. "Rrr! I don't believe this,"
   "Yeah, well what we gonna do? C'mon I'll get yer some ale,"
   "I don't want ale, I want that fox's 'ead on a spike!"
   "Really, and how's you gonna take Redwall all on yer own?"
   "Don't cha worry Stumpy, I'll think of a way."
As Scarface's vixen danced provocatively in front of him, the scarred Reynard opened a small chest he kept next to his chair. He then lifted out a fox skull, which was wrapped in a purple and red harlequin mask. He held the skull up to his eye level and sighed, "Oh Father, you can't find good help anywhere these days."

The fox's sight was a heavy blur, his body felt numb and weak from the poisoned dagger. He could hear voices around him speaking in the western tongue, but his mind was too weak to comprehend what they were saying. His vision had returned slightly. He realised he was in a great room, mouse-maids in strange dress were passing bowls of poultice and healing balms and an old mouse was looking down on him. As his senses returned he noticed above all, that the walls were made from red sandstone. "How is he?' the old mouse asked. "His wound is healing well, but he's been in and out of..."
   "Ugh!"
   "I think he might be coming around."
   The fox warrior managed to muster enough strength to speak, however his speech was broken. "What... place this?" One of the mouse-maids cradled his head. "Hush now, don't get up. You've been badly wounded and poisoned."
   "Well friend, welcome to Redwall Abbey. We're here to make sure you're properly looked after. I'm Abbot Sedge," the old mouse replied. His eyes snapped open. Redwall! As if the name of the place sparked a memory. The fox then drifted back into unconsciousness, thinking there would be time for questions later.
"Why are we treating a fox of all creatures?" Mattimeo sneered. "Have we forgotten the misery they tend to bring upon this abbey?" Tim Churchmouse was busy examining the fox warrior's possessions. The sword indeed was a wondrous find but Tim was more interested in the books the stranger had brought with him. "It is one of our most upheld oaths that we help anybeast in need. You of all Redwallers should know that," said Tim. "Besides, if he were a bandit why did he help that family of voles? Furthermore, why did he get stabbed?"
   "Ah, they're all alike y'know. Weasels, foxes, ferrets, they're all the same. They murder their own mothers just to make a point," Mattimeo replied. Tim looked up from the books and examined the katana on his study desk. "My sister wanted me to talk to you. Auma has found you again sleeping on the floor in great hall right in front of the tapestry. Are you sill having bad dreams?"
   "I... keep getting images of my father. Sometimes it's when he rescued us from Malkariss and most of the time it's him on his deathbed. It's almost as if he's haunting me for something I've done wrong." Tim put a reassuring paw around his friend's shoulder. "If your father could see you now he'd be so proud. Anyway, you should see this," he said picking up the katana. "I've seen it before. I must admit, it is the most exquisite sword I have ever seen. The beast that crafted it is truly a master."
   "Not a master, an artist," Tim presented it to his old friend, "Try wielding it." Mattimeo removed the blade from its scabbard slowly and balanced it in his paw. "It's so light," he commented as he started to twirl it slowly in his paw.
   "What does the writing say?"
   "Don't know. I haven't seen a script like that before. Also it's doubtful if any other recorder has documented it. So I can't translate." Mattimeo raised the sword above his head as he started to twirl faster. The ancient blade was lost from sight as it changed into a whirl of metal that made the air hum eerily. Mattimeo then made a downwards slash at a random stack of books. The blade cut through the stack of dusty tomes with ease and through the table they were sat on. The mouse stood in awe as the stack fell apart in two halves, Tim leapt on the remains of his once cherished abbey annals and documents. "No! Some of these books were written by Father many seasons ago. Matty, how could you?"
   "Sorry Tim, I had a moment of madness,"
   "Madness? Try complete insanity! I'm going to have to make copies of all of them..."
   "See? Your books can be salvaged," Mattimeo said comfortingly while sheathing the fox's katana. "That'll take two seasons!"
   "Better get started then," said Mattimeo as he left the study. As the abbey warrior progressed down the corridor, Tim thought out loud to himself. "Ever since his father died he's become a totally different mouse."
Within time the fox's strength returned. The sun rays of the summer afternoon flooded in through the infirmary windows and danced across the stone floors, as he sat up in his bed eating a bowl of hot root and pepper soup with shrimp. He sat conversing and chatting with Francis Vole, the father of the family of voles he had helped that day. "How could you have heard us? I mean you were a good long ways from where we were."
   "Be that as it may, I heard the young one cry out," the fox replied between mouthfuls of soup. "That's absolute rubbish! I mean you couldn't have. Ivy's a mute, she can't say a word. She's not my real daughter you see. My family and her family were friends, then a few seasons ago slavers had come to take her. Her parents had hidden her away and she watched as the slavers tortured and killed both her parents and she hasn't spoken a word since. But I have to say thank you, if you hadn't had come along I don't know what we would've done." The fox slurped the remainder of his bowl, "You have no need to thank me. I was merely following my code of honour."
   Francis scratched his head puzzled, "a fox mention honour? Bless my soul, I'd never thought I'd see the day!"
   "Glad to see you on the road to recovery, my son," said Abbot Sedge as he entered the infirmary. "Good day Father Abbot," the fox replied. "My compliments to the otters, the soup was sublime."
   "Friendly AND well mannered. I have a feeling we're going to have no problems at all. Anything we can do to speed up your recovery?"
   "Father Abbot, I'm afraid I must ask for my weapon back,"
   "I am sorry friend, but we are peaceful creatures here at Redwall and weapons are not permitted. We only take up arms if we have no choice. Even our warrior hangs up his sword in times of peace," Abbot Sedge explained. The fox tried to explain his side of the argument. "And I apologise Father Abbot, but I give up my blade for nobeast."
   "Spoken like a true warrior!" A young mouse-maid called out from the opposite bedside. "Sister Stephanie, I would appreciate it if you did not eavesdrop on my conversation," Sedge said. The mouse-maid hung her head, "Yes Father Abbot, I'm sorry." The fox passed the bowl to Sister Stephanie who walked out of the infirmary to take the bowl back to the kitchens. The fox watched her closely as she closed the door behind her, "Who's she?"
   "Oh that's Stephanie, one of our order. Daydreams most of the time but she has a good heart. Oh! One more thing friend, I don't even know your name. I'm sure that Mr. Vole would like to know the name of the beast who tried to save them."
   "My name is Sandokhan," the fox replied.
On her way back to the kitchens Stephanie bumped into Mattimeo, who eyed the bowl angrily, "So we're feeding him from our table are we?"
   "Yes, and he thoroughly enjoyed his meal as well,"
   "How long until he's well again?"
   "Oh, he should recover fully in the next few days," the sister replied. "Good, as soon as he's well I want him out," Mattimeo replied.
   "Mattimeo, that's not fair! After all he did-"
   "Save a family of voles. I know," the warrior mouse butted in finishing off Stephanie's sentence. "I don't like it."
   "Mattimeo what's the matter?"
   "I've never trusted foxes and I never will," Mattimeo replied before storming off in the direction of Cavern Hole.

Within the following summer days, Sandokhan had fully recovered from the fight with Stumptail and his robbers. When Stephanie went to infirmary one day to check the wound for signs of infection, she was surprised when she found Sandokhan sat on one of the high windowsills. He was feeding crumbs of an oatmeal scone to a young sparrow. "How did you ever get up there, Mr. Sandokhan?"
   "With techniques I learned many seasons ago," he replied as he leapt down from the high ledge and landing nimbly on his footpaws. Sister Stephanie was taken aback by her guests' prowess, but the task at hand brought her back down to earth. "Anyway, I'm here to check your wound so arm up please." Sandokhan lifted his right arm as the mouse-maid examined the scar, "Hmm, more or less completely healed and there's no sign of infection. You're not having any effects from the poison are you? Feeling dizzy, being sick, that kind of thing?"
   "No, but I do feel a bit tired from all the travelling I've done," he replied. "Where have you been travelling from?"
   "Someplace far away," Sandokhan replied.
   "Noonvale?"
   "Er, further than that. From the far east, a land called Jima,"
   "What kind of place is it? Is it anything like Mossflower?"
   "There are some similarities, but the flowers and trees are different and we have more hills and valleys,"
   "It sounds lovely. But if you feel fatigued maybe you would care for a bath,"
   "A bath sounds divine," Sandokhan replied extremely relieved.
Back in the abbey's study, Tim Churchmouse had already collected the last pieces of paper and now had the agonising task of sorting and trying to match the page halves together. Rollo was trying his hardest but it was going painfully slow. Every now and again Tim's attention would be drawn away from his task by the strange books Sandokhan had brought with him. He had already read through the first one but he couldn't make heads nor tails of the others. He bound up the matching pairs of pages and stored them away. "All right Rollo, lets have a break,"
   Rollo stood up straight and stretched as Tim left the study to look for Sandokhan.
A good long soak in the bath was just what the fox needed, after scrambling out of the tub he sat cross legged in front of a window with a great view of Mossflower wood. He closed his eyes and started to breath slowly and deeply. As he meditated Sandokhan thought of his home and friends. In his mind he was back at the dojo before he graduated he stood outside on top of the stone steps in the relentless blaze of the summer sun. To his left he saw a mouse, with what looked like a great sword strapped across his back, sitting on a low wall by the dojo's gate. Sat next to him was the most radiant mouse-maid he had ever seen playing an instrument native to his homeland called a samisen. Sandokhan turned and looked at the two mice. The male mouse in return exchanged a smile and his mouth moved as if trying to talk but no sound came. Suddenly the fox found himself back at the battle of Niji gate, all around the same horrible scenes from Jima before he left. The fox then felt something bump into his footpaws, it was the severed head of his old master. The eyes suddenly snapped open...
   "Oh! Sorry Mr. Sandokhan I didn't know you weren't decent. I'll just leave your habit here." Sandokhan managed to catch just a glimpse of Stephanie as she closed the door behind her. The fox inspected the apparel he would be wearing whilst living with the abbey-dwellers. A green woollen novice's habit with a white girdle chord. He quickly changed and left the bathroom.
   When walking down one of the grand passages admiring the splendour of Redwall, he bumped into Tim Churchmouse. "Ah, you must be that fox they brought in,"
   "I'm sorry, but you are?" Tim took the fox's paw and shook it warmly. "Tim Churchmouse, abbey recorder."
   "Sandokhan of Mochizuki,"
   "Nice to meet you. Anyway I'm here to enquire about the books you've brought here. I don't recognise the script, all I know is it's not Loamscript nor butterfly-ese,"
   "It's Jimanese. The language and writing of my homeland. If you are interested in my family's journals I guess I could help you translate, er, if you'd like."
   "That would be grand," replied Tim opening one of the books he brought down from the study with him. "First of all, why are the pictures upside down?" Sandokhan looked perplexed at Tim for a second before he took the book and turned it so the illustrations were right side up. "Because you've been looking at them upside down. First rule of Jimanese scripture; we read down and to the left. Not left to right."
   "Hmm, interesting..." Tim mused to himself as Sandokhan felt somebeast seize his paw and pull. "Come on Mr. Sandokhan, its supper time," it was Sister Stephanie. As he was being dragged down the corridor by the overexcited mousemaid, the fox called back to Tim, "I'll have to get back to you Churchmouse san."
The high rafters of Cavern Hole were ringing with the buzz of excited chatter from various creatures. As Sandokhan was led into Cavern Hole most of the clamour and chatter suddenly stopped as the woodlanders caught sight of the strange fox. The Samurai fox suddenly felt awkward and out of place, just as he did back at Lon's pagoda. As he looked around at the stunned beasts, Sandokhan noticed the coldest glare came from Mattimeo, who rose from his chair and left before the meal had even began. "It's alright Mr. Sandokhan, you can sit next to me," said Sister Stephanie as she lead the fox to his seat.  
   Tess had risen from her seat about to follow her husband before Auma grabbed her elbow. "I'll talk to him, don't let your husband spoil your meal." Outside in Great Hall Mattimeo stood in front of the great Redwall tapestry, looking bleakly at the likeness of Martin the Warrior. He could hear heavy pawsteps behind him, he knew it was Auma. The badger opened her mouth about to speak, but Mattimeo got the first word in. "Don't Auma. Just don't,"
   "To be honest, I don't even know where to begin. Why are you being very rude to our guest?"
   "Begging your pardon, but are you as blind as the rest of the beasts in this abbey? He's a fox!"
   "Is that it? Because he's a fox? That's no excuse to be acting the way you have been,"
   "Slagar! Remember him? The harlequin fox who was going to sell us into slavery?"
   "Of course I remember!" Auma snapped. "I was there as well AND so was MY father!"
   "Now can you see where I'm coming from?"
   "No. Not all of his kind are like Slagar. I must say Matty, I'm very disappointed in you," Auma said, crossing her arms.
   "You know Auma you're starting to sound like my father,"
   "Good, at least somebeast here's talking sense. Now, are you coming in for supper?" Mattimeo turned back to Martin's picture, "I don't want any supper. I just want to be alone."
"Some more strawberries and meadow cream, Mr. Sandokhan?" Asked Sister Stephanie as she passed a freshly piled bowl to the fox. However Sandokhan just brushed it aside, "No thank you, I couldn't eat another thing! That was a fantastic meal."
   "Glad you enjoyed it," replied Stephanie. "I apologise if I've offended your warrior,"
"Oh don't worry about Matty. He's just feels a bit, erm... uneasy around foxes. He was kidnapped by one. But it was a long time ago."
   "I doubt the story of my great grandfather will change his opinion," Sandokhan mused out loud. "Ah, Sandokhan," the fox looked up and saw Tim Churchmouse standing over their table. "Should we retire to the study? You cannot believe how many questions I have to ask you!" Sandokhan excused himself and bowed politely to Sister Stephanie. The mouse-maid simply returned a giggle and curtsied. The pair first went to the cellars where Jube and his sisters gave them a flagon of elderberry wine before heading for Tim's study. The first thing Sandokhan showed interest in was the sword, his sword. He clutched it close to himself as if embracing an old friend. "I wouldn't show much interest in that if I were you. The abbot will never allow the brandishing of weapons in Redwall," said Tim. "The abbot will never understand. Because he is not samurai,"
   "Samurai?" Tim asked.
   "Translated into your tongue, a servant,"
   "You mean as in serfdom to a master?"
   "Not quite. Our master only calls upon us to fight for glory in his name. Without our master, we samurai are lost and must take our own lives as an apology for our gross failure to serve him." Tim's eyes went wide, "you would willingly kill yourselves if your master was killed in battle?"
   "Not if he had a dying request. Then it is our duty to ensure we fulfil it," Sandokhan explained in a narrative posture. "The oldest legend from my land says that Jima was made by the sword. At the dawn of creation the gods dipped a ginormous sword into the sea. When they quenched the blade and pulled it out, three drops fell back into the waters. These drops became the islands of Jima."
   Tim grabbed paper and quill, "Not so fast! I want to write all this down. I feel with your knowledge I could write a book about it." Sandokhan chuckled as he propped the katana up against Tim's writing table, before pouring himself a beaker of wine. "The first journal seemed to start after some great event in your great grandfather's life. So what's his story?"
   Sandokhan took a long swig of wine before sitting opposite Tim and related the tale of his great grandfather. "My great grandfather was once a corsair. He served under the Master Corsair, Gabool the Wild. He was a mid-ship beast on his ship and the captain of that vessel was extremely ruthless indeed. After coming back to port at Terramort Isle my grandfather would join his shipmate Greypatch for a post-plunder drink. One day his ship had successfully plundered a vessel and stole a massive brazen bell..."
   "Ah! The Joseph bell," Tim interrupted mid sentence. "I don't really know much about that," Sandokhan replied shaking his head. "Pardon my interruption friend, please continue."
   "Well, after they bring the bell back to port Greypatch as usual was in the tavern with my grandfather and after several rounds Greypatch gets him into a discussion whether murdering and plundering is a good thing. Then Greypatch convinces my grandfather to resign from his position. So, very, very drunk, my grandfather goes to Gabool, tells him he quits, throws down his cutlass, pulls down his pantaloons and then moons him."
   "What happened to Greypatch?"
   "Spouted lies that my grandfather was a traitor to Gabools' cause and stays loyal to his master. In recognition for his loyalty Greypatch was promoted and given a command of his own. So my great grandfather was then beaten to within an inch of his life and then tied to some rocks in the bay, where high tide would do the rest. But the bonds snapped in the current and he was carried away. The next thing he remembers is waking up on some beach in Southsward. Then he gets the idea in his head that the sea spared him for a reason and decided to make something of his life. The citizens of Southsward of that time would never embrace a fox as one of their own so my grandfather picks a direction and travels on. It was on his travels to the eastern coast that he met my great grandmother, a vixen called Naga. Her plan was to follow him and then kill and rob him. However in time, something unexpected happened, the pair started to fancy each other and eventually fell in love. When they reached the eastern shoreline, my great grandfather joined a merchant ship bound for a principality in the western block of Osea..."
   "Osea?" Tim interrupted yet again. Sandokhan pulled a folded parchment from the second journal and spread it out on the table. Tim studied it with great interest, "Is this the world as we know it? This is invaluable!"
   "May I continue?" Tim returned a nod as Sandokhan continued. "After landing in Osea my great grandfather and Naga got married and she gave birth to my father's father and then pressed on further east. They both travelled for many seasons before they reached Jima. A season after they arrived my great grandfather died and from then on my family's been living there ever since. These journals are not just his memoirs, each generation thereafter have added their own volume. These books have been treasured much by my family."
   "That was a good story. I would like to hear yours one day," Tim said.
   "My story is still not over," the fox replied.
Problems in life are never resolved by distancing yourself from them. Escape is never the safest plan nor the safest place.

AbbotAlf0805

This is pretty good. You should check out my book. It's called The Blade of Noonvale, a tale from Redwall. It also takes place between the pearls of lutra and Mattimeo.
I will lead Redwall Abbey to a golden age of peace through the power of Jesus Christ.

SandyB

As summer wore on, the days got longer and a lot more humid and hotter. Sandokhan had settled in well with abbey life, although some abbey-dwellers found him a bit odd they still accepted him nonetheless. Nothing went missing or stolen and a trust in the strange fox was growing, except Mattimeo. The abbey warrior was still very distrustful of Sandokhan but he respected the Abbots' wishes of letting him stay. One summer afternoon, Sandokhan stood in great hall admiring the grand Redwall tapestry. It was the first time he had a proper good look at it. He recognised the mouse at the centre, it was the mouse from his vision. His concentration was broken by the sounds of heavy pawsteps behind him, the fox looked round to see Auma. Sandokhan bowed respectfully to the badger as she joined him at his side. "It's a nice day out there, what are you doing skulking about indoors?"
   "I'm still trying to find my way round this place," Sandokhan smiled. "At times I still get lost."
   "I'm surprised the good sister isn't with you today,"
   "Oh she had some duties to perform in the kitchen and storeroom. That was when I walked past your tapestry and saw this image." Sandokhan explained, pointing at Martins' picture. "Is he one of your household gods?"
   Auma laughed, "Hehehe, Oh heaven's me! That's Martin the Warrior, first warrior of Redwall Abbey. He helped drive out the wildcat tyrants and brought peace to Mossflower. If you want to know more about him, speak with Tim. He has all the old legends in his study somewhere."
   "I would like to know more, actually."
   "Take a good, hard look at that image, fox! If he were still here today, he'd chop you up for crow meat," a gruff voice called from behind them. The pair turned round to see Mattimeo. Sandokhan bowed politely, Mattimeo was unimpressed and unmoved. "I must speak with you," said the fox. Mattimeo sighed with impatience, "Very well, what is it you want?"
   "Your help. This is why I came to Redwall. My homeland..."
   "Don't insult me," Mattimeo snapped back.
   "I meant no offence. I speak truth,"
   "Your kind wouldn't know truth if it bit on the tail! Why won't you leave?"
   "I came here to seek your help and I shan't leave until you agree to help me," Sandokhan argued. "Fine, then stay," said Mattimeo in a scornful tone before storming out of great hall. "Wait," Sandokhan called. Mattimeo paused for a second. "When you were in Southsward fighting the corsairs, did you encounter a ship known as The Lion's Mane?"
   Mattimeo spun round suddenly intrigued, "Yes. Everybeast aboard that vessel was dead."
   "They were dead because they tried to board my ship. Luckily my crew were hardened veterans of the sea and we brought the fight to them. They got me ashore and are now possibly back in Jima by now. I and my friends were the reason why the corsair flotilla was one ship short. I travelled a long way north to reach here."
   "How could you do that? It's like killing your own kind. Then again, I never would've expected more from the likes of you," said Mattimeo.
   "Do not mistake me as a thief or murderer. I am not here to rob you! I am Samurai, I live by a strict code of honour," the fox replied sternly. Mattimeo shook his head and continued out of great hall.
Feeling somewhat incomplete without his katana, Sandokhan had the idea of making himself a new bokken. The Abbot said nothing about wooden weapons, at times Sandokhan would see some abbeydwellers carrying staves when walking the ramparts. All of the abbey infants, known as dibbuns, envied it and some begged Sandokhan to make some for them. But Sandokhan would trick the dibbuns into finding suitable wood to make them from. Time and time again they would give Sandokhan dead branches from old trees in the abbey orchards or when they were out in Mossflower Wood. The only beast he would make a bokken for was Martin, Mattimeo's son. Though there was doubt that his father would allow it, "The sword of Martin the warrior is the only weapon you will need to wield. Now enough of this katana nonsense," is what Mattimeo would say.
   One day, while out in the orchard, Sandokhan was out walking with two of the ten Stump sisters. All three of them carried baskets laden with fruit from the orchard and allotments as they conversed light heartedly, "Tell me, what do you young hog-maids know about love?"
   "Erm, Olga's in love," said one of the sisters. Olga stamped her footpaw, "Fibber, I am not!"
   "Yes you are, I've seen you flirting!"
   "I've seen you flirt aswell,"
   "Who is it?" Sandokhan asked turning to Olga. But the hog-maid remained silent and blushed, "You can tell me, I'm a warrior!" Just then, their conversation was interrupted by a group of giggling dibbuns on their way to raid the strawberry patch. They all stopped and bowed politely to the trio, "Konichiwa Sandokhan san!" They all said in unison. "Konichiwa dibbuns," Sandokhan replied as he let the infants take their pick of the freshly picked fruit, before following the sisters down to the kitchens. The fox returned to the orchard and sat underneath a cider apple tree, the shade bringing relief from the summer heat. He closed his eyes and started to meditate just as he felt something heavy pressed into his lap. He opened his eyes to see Sister Stephanie sitting next to him placing a book in his lap. "Take it," she said. "Badgermum Auma said you were interested in reading about Martin the warrior. This is the first chapter of his saga and legacy. It's about..."
   "Hehe, don't spoil it for me," Sandokhan chuckled.
   "I think you'll enjoy it,"
   "I think I would enjoy it more if... you read it to me," said Sandokhan, as he touched Stephanie's thigh and squeezed gently. Stephanie fixed him with an angry look. Sandokhan quickly withdrew his paw, "I, I, I'm so sorry - YOWCH!" Sandokhan yelped as Sister Stephanie slapped him hard round the muzzle. She rose off the ground, "Well I never!" With that she stormed off in a huff leaving Sandokhan nursing a stinging snout and bruised feelings.
Sandokhan didn't attend supper that evening, he decided to retire to his dormitory to meditate and read the book Sister Stephanie had given him. The book was bound in leather with the picture of a rose embossed on the cover. He sat on the edge of his bed and started reading the ancient tome.

It all begins with Martin the Warrior, first defender of Redwall Abbey. The corsair Badrang dreamed of his own empire. He collected slaves to build him a fortress on the eastern coast named Marshank, a foreboding place whose name will never be forgotten. And Martin's sorrow began when, at a young age, his mother was killed by the corsair Vilu Daskar. His father Luke left his tribes' caves to pursue Vilu Daskar. Before he left, Luke gave his son his most precious thing; the sword of his forefathers. "Defend the weak, never strike in anger and become a shield for the ones you love," Luke said unto Martin. The son of Luke held the sword aloft in a warriors' salute as his father sailed off into the distance in search of Vilu Daskar...

The summer of the orange buttercup was days away from drawing to a close, Abbot Sedge grew even more excited with the onset of autumn. But he and others had noticed that Sandokhan and Stephanie weren't as close as once were. But he didn't let that get in the way of his excited feelings. Sandokhan found he couldn't stop reading the story of Martin the Warrior. He had just read the aftermath of the battle of Marshank and was on the last page.

And Martin said unto his comrades, "My friends I must depart. I travel south alone, I will never return to Noonvale for Rose has left a flame in my heart. A flame that neither water nor the blood of battle can extinguish. You will all be in my thoughts, always." And so it was that Martin the Warrior said goodbye to his friends for the last time. Ever shadowed by the loss of his love, he dedicated his life to helping woodlanders everywhere. And here Redwall Abbey shall stand through the ages in memory of Martin the Warrior and Rose of Noonvale and their valiant struggle against evil. We know all this because in the time of Abbot Saxtus travellers came from Noonvale. They brought a sprig of the rose that Grumm planted on Rose's grave and since it blooms later than the others Redwallers call it the late rose.
End of volume one

Sandokhan closed the book shut and wiped away tears of sadness. He left his dormitory with the book under his arm, he started to head for the study to return the book when he bumped into Abbot Sedge. "Good day, Father Abbot,"
   The Abbot bowed his head, "Good day Sandokhan. I must say I haven't seen you around recently,"
   "I needed some time on my own to meditate and to read," the fox replied. "What were you reading?" The Abbot asked. "The tales of Martin the Warrior. I found the ending so sad. I can't stop feeling sorry for poor Rose. I was hoping to find Stephanie, she was the one who gave me this. Where is she?"
   "The good sister is out in Mossflower Wood with Martin, teaching him about herbs and healing plants of the forest, they should be back soon."
Out in Mossflower Wood the trees echoed to the sound of birdsong but Stephanie was finding the task of teaching Martin frustrating. The young mouse would run on ahead in the overgrowth finding branches he wanted to take back with him, so Sandokhan could make him a bokken. "What about this wood?" Martin called to Stephanie waving the branch of an oak tree. "I don't know Martin. Now would you please pay attention. What I'm teaching you could save your life one day. Now, this mushroom is called-" she stopped mid sentence as she looked up and Martin was nowhere to be seen. The mouse-maid sighed wearily. "Ah, where's he got to now?" She mused to herself as she walked off into the undergrowth calling after the warriors' son. "Martin! Martin! Where are you?"
   "Over 'ere," a gruff voice called out. Stephanie turned to see Martin held up at knife point by two evil looking creatures. One was a fox with no tail and the other was a stoat with his right paw missing. She reached for the branch Martin was carrying, suddenly she felt somebeast grab her from behind. The pair had their paws bound by their captors and were dragged off into the overgrowing vegetation. The fox and the stoat congratulated themselves. "Well Flatsnout, it looks like we found a couple of keepers," said the fox. "Hehehe, not wrong there Stumpy."
   Their leader appeared, a big dog fox with a long scar running down his face. The fox ignored his two bandits and stood over the two quaking beasts. "Well, well, well. What've we got 'ere, eh? An abbey brat... and an abbey wench," he said. "Not only that Scarface, take a closer look at the young un," Stumptail said. Stephanie's eyes went wide, she had heard of Scarface but hadn't had the misfortune of encountering him. Scarface knelt down in front of Martin and studied his features, "Hang on, I know you. You're Mattimeo's little sprog." Martin face screwed up into a scowl and he spat in the fox's face. Scarface wiped the saliva from around his snout and nose and then kicked Martin callously. He then turned to Flatsnout, "Well done Flatsnout. If this won't flush out that fox, nothin' will."
   "Wh, wha- what're you going to do to us?" Stephanie stammered.
   "Nothing... yet!"
It was approaching dusk and the sun bled red turning the sky into a pallet of indigo, pink and orange. Sandokhan was starting to grow extremely worried about Stephanie and Martin, so was Mattimeo. The fox paced up and down in front of the grand tapestry, the last rays of sunlight shining through the stained glass windows covering the stones like a multicoloured blanket. "Are you troubled my son?" Abbot Sedge asked as he entered from Cavern Hole.
   "It's starting to get late and Martin and Stephanie haven't returned yet. They went out after lunchtime and it's nearly supper." The Abbot put a reassuring paw on the fox's shoulder. "Don't worry Sandokhan. I have a feeling -"
   "Excuse me Father Abbot!" The pair turned to see a brother of the order with a look of shock on his face. "What is it Bother Philip?"
   "There's a band of creatures walking up the path with two captives. They're demanding we hand Sandokhan over to them!" The Abbot of Redwall took no hesitation in dealing out orders, "Philip, get archers and sentries on the ramparts and alert the Mossflower Patrol. Sandokhan help break out the weapons. I'll tell the bell-ringers to sound the alarm."
   In short order the ramparts of the west wall was teeming with activity. Both Sandokhan and Mattimeo retrieved their weapons and joined the others on the west ramparts. Down on the path, Scarface began the mind games, "Outlander!" He called up to the ramparts, "Outlander! Me merry band o' buckoes wants a word wit' yer!" Abbot Sedge peered over the edge of the battlements and called back down, "What is it you want, my son?"
   "Hand over the fox from the foreign lands,"
   "I'm sorry friend, but I cannot willingly send out a beast in my care to his death." Scarface made a gesture with his paw and both the captives were paraded in front of the ragged band of murderers. Mattimeo grinded his teeth with rage as he caught sight of his son. "Martin! You dare hurt my son and I'll come down there and rip you apart," Mattimeo shouted. "Hand over the fox an' the lives of yer son and the mouse-maid will be spared. Our quarrel ain't with Redwall, Mattimeo. It's with the outlander that cowers amongst you!" Sandokhan started to leave the ramparts and was about to walk to the steps down to the main gate. Mattimeo unsheathed his blade and forced the point to Sandokhan's throat. "Where do you think you're going?"
   "You heard what they said, if I don't go down there and face them they'll kill both your son and the good sister. I cannot allow that to happen," Mattimeo was not convinced of Sandokhan's intent.
   "Do you think I'm that stupid? How do I know that once you're down there you and your-" Sam Squirrel put a paw on the mouse's shoulder, "Matty, this has gone on long enough. For the sake of your son, please, trust him." The warrior returned his sword to its' scabbard and allowed the fox to pass, but not without giving him a stern warning. "If I suspect any hint of treachery, rest assured I will hunt you down. No matter how long it takes, I will find you!"
    As the massive gate creaked open the bandits' gazes were fixed. Flatsnout sneered wickedly as he caught sight of the beast he wanted revenge on all this time, with both katana and wakizashi thrust into his girdle cord. "That's the one. Get 'im!"
   A group of five rushed Sandokhan and surrounded him. The fox drew his katana and squatted into the ready stance, looking at the reflection of the bandits behind him. They all made a lunge, Sandokhan ducked nimbly and slashed wide. Three of the bandits fell to the ground nursing the stumps where their footpaws had been. One bandit tried to charge him from behind but was skewered through by the elegantly crafted steel. The one bandit remaining ran for the protection of Scarface, who was astonished by the fox's agility and skill. So were Mattimeo and the other onlookers.
   "Incredible skill," Mattimeo mused out loud.
   "And here I am thinking Matty is a strong warrior..." said Elmtail.
   Flatsnout tried to rally his acomplices, "C'mon, let's rush 'im!" Only Stumptail and Scarface remained to take charge of the captives as they witnessed Sandokhan make short work of their compatriots. The katana had disappeared in a blur of metal, with the cries and whimpers of the unfortunate resonating up to the sandstone ramparts above. Flatsnout was starting to lose heart when he was all that remained. The cowardly stoat started to back away gripped with fear. "All right, we'll call it a draw," he said. "Really? Put yourself in my position. Would you want to call it a draw? I don't think so," Sandokhan replied before positioning himself to advance.
   "Now I'm going to finish what I began with your paw!" The stoat shook with anxiety and rushed Sandokhan. The fox, in one swift motion, dealt with Flatsnout. The stoats' head bouncing on the dusty path with the headless form shuddering in a crimson pool. Stumptail lost his will altogether, he kicked Sister Stephanie to the ground and fled for the fringes of Mossflower Wood. Sandokhan untied Stephanie who ran as fast as she could back to the gate.
   Scarface grabbed Martin and held the edge of his axe up to Martin's throat. Sandokhan stared coldly at the bandit fox, "Scarface, let the child go. You're beaten and you know it." Scarface dropped his axe, "Sure. I'll let 'im go.."
   Suddenly the bandit leader reached for a dagger thrust into his belt "...right after I slit the brat's throat!" As Scarface pulled his paw back, Martin bit the fox as hard as he could. Scarface cried out in pain as Martin managed to struggle free. But the fox tripped him up and the warrior's son fell flat on his back. Scarface stood over him, dagger ready to stab. Sandokhan saw his chance, he slashed with the Starfire slicing Scarface's paw and neck, pulling Martin to one side as Scarface's form fell forward. The samurai fox looked around and addressed the wounded, who were ripping off shreds of their apparel to fashion tourniquets. "All of you fortunate enough to be alive I will let live. But leave the heads where they are, they belong to me now!" The survivors groaned in agony as they limped and crawled away back to Mossflower Wood.
   Sandokhan helped Martin to his footpaws and untied his bonds. Martin hugged the fox tight before they both walked back to the gate. As the massive wooden doors slammed shut a loud cheer rose up from the abbey dwellers. Sister Stephanie pounced on Sandokhan. She was hugging the fox tight and smothering him with relentless kissing. "Mwah, mwah, mwah! Thank you, thank you, thank you! Mwah! My hero!"
   Sandokhan blushed profoundly. Martin ran to his parents, Tess broke down in tears of joy as she embraced her son. Mattimeo walked up to Sandokhan and the merriment died down to an awkward silence. "You saved my son's life." The warrior of Redwall Abbey extended his paw, which the Samurai fox gripped and shook firmly. "Thank you," said Mattimeo.
   "Now will you listen?"
   That night in the gatehouse cottage, Mattimeo and Abbot Sedge listened intently to the tale of what happened to Sandokhan back in Jima. Mattimeo thought long and hard. "I must say that is quite a harrowing story. But why come all this way to find me?"
   "The reputation of the Redwall warriors reaches far and wide. Further and wider than you think. Our forces are too small to repulse the Claws' attacks. I came here to ask you to help us overthrow the Claw,"
   "You want me to accompany you back to Jima?" The fox nodded in reply, "Yes, and as many fighters as you can muster."
   "I doubt I would be able to assemble half the force you say this Claw rat has,"
   "I'm not talking about pitched battle. I'm talking about disrupting his forces by doing raids. Attack hard and fast and then vanish." Mattimeo thought hard again. "Hmmm, I'll see what I can do. However, you will have to be our guide and we'll need a plan of how we're actually going to do this. Travel or otherwise."
   "I hope you're not planning to leave before my jubilee feast," the Abbot said.
   "I wouldn't dream of it, Father Abbot," the fox replied. "There is one matter I'd like to discuss with you though,"
   "Of course." The fox pulled his bokken free of his girdle cord and replaced it with his katana. The Abbot shook his head, "I'm sorry Sandokhan, but I cannot break with tradition."
   "Then, will you allow me to keep my blade in my dormitory?"
   "That I can allow," the Abbot replied.
Sister Stephanie was finding it hard to sleep that hot night. The humidity was making her uncomfortable and images of the bandits were plaguing her mind. After trying relentlessly to fall asleep, she lay in her bed staring up at the ceiling. Her mind started to wonder, thinking of Sandokhan. His strong shoulders, his agile body, his piercing blue eyes and his big bushy tail. Oh, his tail! A thought then crossed her mind. She wanted – she needed to be close to the fox. She then eased herself out of bed, hoping her activity wouldn't wake the others in the room and walked with a lit candle down.the corridor.
   Sandokhan on the other hand was exhausted after the days' events and the presence of the Starfire was relaxing and comforting. He was stirred from his rest when he felt somebeast trying to shake him awake. The fox sat bolt upright, his paw reaching for the grip of his blade. He stopped when he saw a mouse-maid in a nightshirt holding a candle in one paw.

The Summer of the Orange Buttercup had drawn to a close and with the christening of the new season preparations were underway for Abbot Sedges' jubilee feast. It was nearing harvest time and everybeast was hard at work. Down in the cellars Jube Stump and his ten sisters were hard at work fermenting the cider and wines for the feast. Jube was trying to make a inventory of what they already had but his sisters were sampling everything. They had already polished off three casks of elderberry wine and were moving on to the summer fruit cider. "Hoi, Olga, Freya, Sasha and Katy would you please stop your samplin'. There gonna be nothin' left at the rate you lot are knockin' it back."
   "Oh Jube do lighten yer mood," said Sasha.
   "'Cuse me ladies, but the Abbot's feast is just two days away an' I'm worried that we'll 'ave nothin' ter drink."
   "Well we ain't gonna 'elp in the kitchens. It's too hot ter slave away in front of an oven," said Olga.
   "Well we havn't 'ad a friar since ole Hugo got killed. So they're gonna need all the 'elp they can get."
Out in the orchard Abbot Sedge, Mattimeo, Sam Squirrel, Tim Churchmouse and Sandokhan were going over the guest list for the feast. Sedge adjusted the spectacles on his nose as he read the list. "Hmmm, this all seems to be in order. It'll be nice to see Log-a-log Flugg again. Does anybeast else have any other suggestions?"
   "Well I do know Cheek's going to beg me to invite George Stag Hare," said Mattimeo. "Any relation to Basil Stag Hare by any chance?"
   "'Fraid so Father Abbot. He's Basil's nephew," Mattimeo replied. "I didn't know Basil had a nephew. I didn't even know he had a brother!"
   "Last time I heard he got into the Long Patrol. Got promoted quite recently, he's a Lieutenant now."
   Abbot Sedge shook his head wearily, "I'll tell the kitchens to prepare for Lieutenant Stag Hares' arrival."
   "What about you Sandy?" Tim asked. "I would like to invite Francis Vole and his wife," the fox replied.
   "There you are!" The fox looked up to see Sister Stephanie standing over him, paws crossed. "You said you were going to help me with sorting out the storeroom today."
   The foxs' face was a picture of mock shock, "Goodness me you're right!" He then rose to his footpaws and bowed politely to the others, "Please excuse me." When they got down to the storeroom, Stephanie had paper and charcoal at the ready as she put Sandokhan to work. "Right, we'll start with the spices. Sandy, could you see to the nutmeg over there?"
   "Where?"
   "The sacks over there in the corner. Could you take them and pile them up in front of the door?"
   "Why?" The mouse-maid then seized the fox and kissed him deeply, "So we can't be disturbed..."
   "How about, we just sort out the storeroom for now." The fox comprimised. "We can do all that later on,"
"Oh..." Stephanie replied, her voice sounding crestfallen. Sandokhan then ruffled her ears before rubbing noses with her. "Tonight, my room."
The leaves on the trees were now starting to turn shades of orange, brown and gold but it was still warm enough to hold the feast outside in the grounds. Numerous woodlanders toiled away shifting tables, benches, stools and the Abbots' armchair. Mattimeo and the Skipper of the otters were fishing through the night to catch a centrepiece for the feast, just as his father did seasons ago. The kitchens were turning out food to feed hundreds of woodlanders for a very long winter. Salads, pies, trifles, quiches, tarts, flans and soups of all varieties. Foremole and his moles had just put the finishing touches to the fire pit in the center of the circle. Foremole wiped sweat off his velvety brow, surveying the work his crew had finished. "Roight lads, that'm be a foin foir pit fer t'morrows' feast,"
   "Hurr, Oi just 'opes that zur Mattim'o don't catcher fish'n that won't taste noice," said one of his crew. At that moment they saw Auma help Mattimeo and the Skipper carry a greyling down to the kitchens. Foremole scratched his head puzzled, "Hmm, Oi thought all them greylin's been caught boi naow."
   One of his team slapped him heartily on the back, "Hurr Gaffer, looken loik we's gunna 'ave a treat at'n yon feast t'morrow. Bur aye!"
Out in Mossflower Wood, the otter Cheek was lounging himself on an rocky outcrop off the main path leading to the abbey. He heard pawsteps coming towards him, he looked up and saw a gallous hare wearing a Long Patrol uniform walk past. The otter sprang to his footpaws and called after the hare. "You're late!"
   The hare turned round and addressed the mischievous otter, "Begin' your pardon, a Long Patrol offisah is neither late nor early for a Redwall banquet. He shows up as soon as he can smell the turnovers baking in the ovens, wot!"
   The pair then embraced, "If I didn't know better young otter-me-lad, I'd say you've grown."
   "Never mind me matey, look at you. Lieutenant now, eh?"
   "Oh that, got promoted after some cheeky weasel blighter got too big for his boots, don't cha know. Oh, one more thing. We hadn't any trouble from Scarface an' his lot in a while."
   "That was Sandy! If only you'd been there. It was so amazing,"
   "Hold fast Cheek m'boy. Whom was so amazing as described?" asked George. "Nevermind, you'll meet him later on."

The day of the jubilee feast had arrived. The Abbot, Mattimeo and Sandokhan had gathered at the main gate to welcome the visitors. They had already greeted a number of woodlanders, dormice, squirrels and river otters to name just a few. The gallous George Stag Hare had returned from another of his 'sampling' missions in the abbey kitchens. He spoke between mouthfuls of apple turnover, "I say you chaps, mmm, it was jolly nice of you to invite a newly promoted bod like myself, umph!"
   "You're welcome George. Consider this feast as a celebration of your promotion as well," said Mattimeo. George was still a bit uneasy around Sandokhan, "But still, murph, ah, I find it a bit odd you've got a fox as one of your greeters, wot!"
   "I know it may seem a bit strange, but this fox saved my sons' life," Mattimeo replied. George then ate the rest of his turnover in one big mouthfull, "Well off to the cellars for samplin. Toodle-pip all!" Sandokhan was flabbergasted at the speed George demolished his snack, "I've heard of a bottomless stomach before, but a bottomless beast?" The Abbot shook his head wearily, "Flop eared food-bin, just like his uncle!" Mattimeo face filled with happiness when he greeted the next group of creatures, "Flugg!"
   "Matty!" The Log-a-log of the GUOSIM and the Redwall warrior hugged each other. "It's so good to see you again. How's the tribe?"
   "Oh same as always, Matty. How's the family?"
   "Martin got kidnapped a couple of weeks ago. If it wasn't for this beast here, he would've been killed," said Mattimeo, put a paw on Sandokhan's shoulder. "A fox!" Flugg drew his short sword but Mattimeo quelled the situation, "Flugg, put that away. I know that foxes are known for being dishonest, but I trust him." Flugg reluctantly returned his weapon to its' scabbard and shook the foxs' paw, "Flugg. I am the Log-a-log of the GUOSIM and you are?"
   "I'm Sandokhan of Mochizuki," the fox replied. "Where are the rest of your shrews Flugg? Will they be along later?" Mattimeo asked.
   "Some are watching over our camp on the banks of the river, the others will be along shortly."
   Then Sandokhan heard a familiar voice, "Sandokhan!"
   "Francis!" Both fox and dormouse shook paws heartily, "good to see you."
   "How are you settling in?"
   "Just fine. Everybeast here still seems to be a bit uneasy with me but they're opening their hearts slowly," replied Sandokhan. The fox felt somebeast tugging at his habit, he looked down at the young dormouse Ivy. The fox knelt down in front of her and ruffled her ears before giving her some candied chestnuts. "Such a sweet child. I feel so sorry for her," said Sandokhan. "Don't let it get in the way of a good time. I can't wait until tonight," said Francis, rubbing his paws together. There was some commotion from the abbey pond as a group of dibbuns were doing last minute rehearsals for the ply they were going to perform. They decided to portray a legend from Jima, "The Legend of the Dragon Kings." There had been many squabbles over which one would play who, but Sandokhan decided it'd be best if he assigned the parts.
As the sun turned orange and began to sink below the horizon, abbey-dwellers and guests alike started to take their seats. A large bonfire was at the centre of the massive circle of benches and tables. Sandokhan sat in-between Ivy and Sister Stephanie as the starters were brought out. An array of salads, quiches and flans. The dibbuns as always wanted the sweetest things first, but some of the dibbuns were too busy trying to remember their parts for the play they wanted to perform for the feast. George Stag Hare was already on his third helping of woodland quiche when Jube Stump banged the table with his tankard. "Now if everybeast's glass is full, I'd like to propose a toast. To Abbot Sedge and Redwall Abbey. To your second year as Abbot and for many more to follow. CHEERS!"
   "CHEERS!" Everybeast then drank deeply from their beakers, tankards and goblets. As empty dishes were being cleared away from the tables, Sandokhan looked around at all the creatures conversing and merrily talking to each other. He had never experienced hospitality like this before. As Stephanie topped up his tankard of October ale, Abbot Sedge rose from his chair and asked for silence. "Thank you one and all. I am so very pleased to announce that the pond of our abbey has bestowed us a grayling after so many seasons." There was much excited murmurs from everybeast as the main course and centrepiece was paraded to the Abbot's table. Sedge took a long smell of the rich aroma from the roast grayling, "Ahh! Grayling ala Redwall. One of Friar Hugos' most famous recipes if I'm not mistaken. Now if you would all bow your heads for the grace."
   Everybeast did as they were asked as the Abbot of Redwall spread his paws over the fish and intoned;

"Fur and whisker, tooth and claw,
   All who enter by our door.
   Nuts and herbs, leaves and fruits,
   Berries, tubers, leaves and roots.
   Silver fish your life we take
   Only for a meal to make."

There was loud and heartfelt 'Amen' from all before the fish was portioned out amongst all the guests. George took just one bite and already handed out praises to the chefs, "Mmmm! I do declare this is the most finest dish I've ever tasted. Mmumffff!" Sandokhan was inclined to agree, not even honey and lemon grass carp tasted this exquisite. After the greyling came the deserts and so many of them. Pear and apple quarters glazed liberally with honey, tarts, summer fruit trifles and pies and fresh fruit with generous helpings of meadow cream. Then it was time for the entertainment. A group of six dibbuns paraded in front of the Abbots' table dressed in flowing robes and carved dragon masks. "For your entrainment, we would like to preferm, under the disection of Mr. Sandykoon, the Legin of the Four Kings. Thank you." There was a round of light applause from all as the play started. After many rounds of trifles and tarts, the play reached the final scene. The dragon kings had followed the cow demon Shiyu to his realm and had challenged him to a contest and won. The mouse infant Ploppy knelt down on the ground with his paws behind his back, giving the impression they were severed off. While the otter pup Caps stood over him with a wooden katana Sandokhan had made for the play. "Prepare ter die," said Caps dramatically, his voice muffled from under his wooden mask. "Wait," said Ploppy. "Our agreement said you're not allowed to kill me. If you do, I'm telling!"
   "You're stupid. If'n you deaded, you won't tell anybeast anythin' matey."
   Sandokhan clapped his brow with his paw, "I knew this would happen," the fox whispered to Stephanie. "They're making up lines again!"
   "Die," shouted Caps as he pretended to cut through Ploppys' neck. The infant mouse then started wailing in his melodramatic death throes before lying down on the grass. Caps then addressed the audience, "I 'ave deaded the demon Shee-oo. Now I take Lady Tishino back to the eastern mountain to live with me forever."
   "Hoi! What abouct us?" said the squirrel infant Oakpaw who played the Red Dragon of the southern seas. "Oh you can all live with me an' we'll all eat candied chessernuts together!" Everybeast applauded loudly as all the actors took off their masks and bowed to the crowd. George was giving them a standing ovation, "Bravo! I say, what a spirited performance, wot!" Stephanie applauded enthusiastically as she shook with mirth, "Hehe, very good." She then noticed Sandokhan shaking his head, "What's the matter Sandy?"
   "I think my culture has just been insulted."
   "Sandy, that's not fair! The dibbuns put their hearts and souls into that play and I thought it was really good," said Stephanie defending the dibbuns' acting. "Well, I thought Martins' performance as the Emperor was the only good acting in it."
   "All right if you can do any better you'll have no problem reciting a poem or singing something," said Stephanie. The good sister then stood up and called out, "Father Abbot, I think it'd be a good idea if the newest addition to our abbey sang a song."
   "What a excellent idea. Sandokhan, if you'd be so kind to grace us all," said the Abbot. Very reluctantly the fox rose from his seat and stood before the Abbot. "Er, what would you like me to sing?"
   "Something... uplifting," the Abbot suggested. The fox paused for a brief moment thinking of something. "I will sing a treasured ballad of my homeland but I don't know how to sing it in your tongue," Said Sandokhan. "Then sing it in Jimanese," said Tim Churchmouse. Sandokhan happily obliged, the stones of Redwall Abbey that mild autumn evening  thrummed to the echoing notes of the fox's' clear baritone voice. Nobeast present at the feast had a single clue what the fox was singing about. But they wanted to think it was something so beautiful it couldn't be expressed in words and it made all their hearts ache.

Problems in life are never resolved by distancing yourself from them. Escape is never the safest plan nor the safest place.

SandyB

The nights started to draw in closer and the days got shorter and colder with the onset of late autumn and winter. On long winter nights, Sandokhan was surrounded by dibbuns and novices, all of them eager to hear stories and legends of Jima. They had all heard the Legend of the Four Dragon Kings, but they wanted to hear more. But there was one story the dibbuns wanted to hear every night before bed, "Kenji and the Dragon." In time spring thaw arrived, the icicles dripping in the rays of the sun and the snow drifts turning to slush before surrendering to the lush ground under them. The winter was very uneventful, that was until the following spring.
   With wild herbs and flowers starting to bloom once again, the apothecaries and alchemists of Redwall needed new specimens for their potions and poultices. One warm spring day, Cynthia Bankvole along with Sandokhan, Elmtail, Sam Squirrel and Cheek ventured out into Mossflower Wood to look for herbs and fresh mushrooms for the kitchens. Cynthia was sat next to a fairy ring of wild mushrooms picking them and cropping them into a basket while humming a tune to herself. Suddenly she heard rustling off in the undergrowth behind her. Cynthia turned round and saw nobeast. She put the distraction from her mind and went back to her mushroom picking. Her ears perked up, there it was again, the rustling sound from the undergrowth. She rose from the ground and walked in the direction the sound came from. She peered into the foliage and two eyes stared back at her.
   The thing then stood up, a beast dressed in strange armour with his sword drawn. Cynthia screamed as she threw down her basket and ran for the protection of Sam, Elmtail and Cheek. The warrior gave chase after her. The vole ran as fast as her legs could carry her and was stopped in her tracks by the otter Cheek. "Steady on, matey! What's the matter?"
   "He's going to kill me!"
   "Cynthia slow down. Who's going to kill you?"
   Suddenly, the sound of rapidly pounding pawsteps was heard and the warrior ran out of the woods. Up in the tree line, Elmtail notched a shaft to his bow and let it fly. The warrior parried it out of the way and carried on charging. Cheek and Sam Squirrel readied their bow staves and hid Cynthia behind them. "Why are we always the ones saving your tail?" said Cheek. Just then Sandokhan leapt out of the undergrowth, he unsheathed the Starfire like lightening and rang his blade off the attackers' weapon. The recoil forced the attacker back. Sandokhan went wide eyed when he saw the stranger, "A Samurai?"
   Every inch of the warrior's armour was like his own, but the Samurai had recovered from the surprise of the attack and charged at Sandokhan. The strength of his opponent was terrible, Sandokhan could barely keep his blade in his paws. The pair then locked blades, the attacker looked at the inscription on the fox's blade and became transfixed. Sandokhan now saw his chance. He kicked the Samurai viciously in the cuirass, pushing him back. The attacker regained his composure and squared up to the fox.

Sandy then thought back to what Master Krinz taught him; You must strike without thought or indecision. The object of duel is to simply kill your opponent. Do not waste valuable time or strength in performing pointless flowery form. Become the mountain, when the enemy becomes the river. Become the river when the enemy becomes the mountain.

Little did Sandokhan knew, his opponent was also thinking on his masters' advice; Become unpredictable. Strike from your subconscious mind. The most skilled of opponents will fall from a move that has no history or reference. The moves created by your own individual essence may surprise even yourself.

The two Samurai then started circling each other, trying to read one another's' movements. Sandokhan made a lunge and slashed down, but his opponent parried and tried to used the foxs' own tactic. He tried to kick Sandokhan violently in the stomach, but the fox was quick. The Starfire fell from the foxs' grip as he caught the foot of his attacker in both paws.
   However, the second samurai jumped off of his standing leg and swung it sideways connecting his foot sharply with Sandokhan's muzzle. Sandokhan collapsed to the ground, ears ringing from the blow and gasping for air. The other Samurai took the Starfire katana, mounted Sandokhan's chest and pressed the cutting edge against Sandokhans' neck. "Where did you get this blade from?" Sandokhan knew the language, it was Jimanese. The Samurai became impatient and applied pressure, "Insolent swine, answer me!"
   "My teacher gave it to me," the fox shouted back in his native tongue. The Samurai then relented as he studied his opponents' features. "Sandokhan? Is it really you?" He asked before releasing the fox. Sandokhan recognised the voice, but he couldn't be sure, "Who are you?"
   The Samurai then unfastened the faceplate, "It's me, Wataru." The foxs' heart leapt with joy as he recognised his otter friend. Wataru helped Sandokhan to his footpaws with Cheek and Sam coming to investigate. "So sorry about attacking you, I've never seen you in these garments before,"
   "Oh, the habit. Long story, but It's so good to see you again. How did you get here?"
   "Long story..." Cheek was more then a little confused, "Hoi! What's goin' on here?" Sandokhan explained, "Cheek, this is Wataru. He's my best friend." Cheek's jaw dropped open in disbelief, "Friend?! But the pair of you were locked in a duel to the death only a moment ago,"
   "Case of mistaken identity. Hey Cynthia, don't cower behind that tree. He's not going to bite." Elmtail had jumped down from the tree he was taking cover in and Cynthia walked sheepishly towards the Samurai otter. Wateru bowed politely in apology, "Apologies please. I didn't mean to frighten you, but I, er, how you say..... you did give me startle. That right?" Wataru explained. Cynthias' face was a picture of indignation, "I frightened you? How do you think I feel?" Sandokhan introduced everybeast to his old friend, "Wataru, this is Elmtail, Sam and Cheek."
   "Now hang on a minute," Cheek protested. "You know him, he knows you. But he wants to kill Cynthia and everybeast is all right with this?"
   "It's all right Cheek. Nobeast is killing anyone. Come on Wataru, you can freshen up when we get back to the abbey."
When the party returned to the abbey, the otter like so many newcomers was astonished by the splendour and majesty of Redwall. Most abbeydwellers have assembled on the path, curious about the otter. Abbot Sedge had emerged from the front door leading to Great Hall. Wataru turned to Sandokhan, "Who's that?"
   "That's the Abbot. I'm afraid he'll ask for your weapon." Wataru clutched his katana tightly, "Nobeast takes my sword from me." The fox shook his head, "I was like you when he first asked me to give up the Starfire. It is one of this places' most upheld oaths."
   Abbot Sedge walked up to the returning group of creatures and addressed the otter, "Who have we here?"
   "Father Abbot, this is Wataru. An old friend of mine," Sandokhan explained.
   "Ah, another warrior from the east. Well Wataru, welcome to Redwall Abbey." The otter bowed politely, "Thank you. Sandokhan has asked me to surrender my blade to you." Sedge nodded, "I'm afraid so my son. We are peaceful creatures at Redwall and weapons are not permitted." Sandokhan handed his sword over the Abbot and urged Wataru to do the same. "It seems we'll have a double celebration tonight," said the Abbot as he walked towards the gatehouse cottage. "Celebration?" Wataru enquired. "It's season day today. Another one of their traditions, they name the season. Come on inside, I'll see if Auma can prepare a room for you."
   After a few hours of rest the otter was dressed in the same green habit as Sandokhan and the season day feast was ready to be eaten. After the meal, some tables were set aside to make room for a stage. Woodlanders were always eager for Sandokhan to entertain them after a meal. The Abbot rang a small table bell to bring order. "My friends, since this is a special time of the year it is customary for a little light entertainment after the season day feast. And Sandokhan will perform feats of master swordplay and drama!" There was thunderous applause from the woodlanders as they shouted out suggestions, "The Cyclone!"
   "That one? Again? The Corridor of Blades!"
   "Oh no! Remember the state of the bench the last time he performed that one? How about The Carousel?" The fox raised his paws to stop the flood of suggestions, "My friends, those are all good suggestions. However, I shall treat to a feat of daring with the help of my friend Wataru. Mattimeo, would you please retrieve our weapons from the gatehouse cottage?" Mattimeo left his place at the table and left Cavern Hole to get the weapons. As Wataru approached Sandokhan, the fox whispered in his ear, "Do you remember Sight without Seeing?"
   "I remember how to do it, but it's been so long."
   "Don't worry it'll all come back to you."
When Mattimeo returned, Sandokhan had asked two Redwall Sisters to get a couple of blindfolds. "My friends, Wataru and I will perform for your satisfaction the feat we call Sight Without Seeing! Both myself and Wataru shall duel... blindfolded!" The room erupted in gasps of amazement. In a short while, Mattimeo presented both Samurai with their weapons as two Redwall mousemaids fastened their blindfolds. The pair both bowed to each other, then paused. Wataru was the first to reach for his katana, with Sandokhan doing likewise in quick succession. "If you wish to kill me..." said Sandokhan. "You must make no sound at all," the otter replied. The pair then drew blades and started sidestepping, trying to find out the position of their opponent. The pair then charged at each other, Sandokhan dodged Watarus' attack and started to exchange blows. The pair dodged each other quite frequently before locking blades. Several woodlanders gathered their beakers and plates as the warriors climbed up onto a table and started exchanging blows. Wataru made a swipe and ripped the foxs' right sleeve. The fox turned his head as if to look at the rip. Wataru licked his dry lips before advancing again. The duel spread to the neighbouring table as the two Samurai dodged and parried each others' advances. Sandokhan had managed to cut away Watarus' gridle cord. "Enough of this before the pair of you are naked," said Auma. The rafters of Cavern Hole echoed to the light giggling of the dibbuns and sisters, which turned into applause as the two Samurai removed their blindfolds and bowed to each other.

After the performance at dinner, both Sandokhan and Wataru were up on the north ramparts looking up at the star strewn canopy of the night sky. Wataru packed a smoking pipe for Sandokhan. The fox inhaled the smoke deeply. He recognised the smell and the taste, "Bunglers' Bane! You've brought Bunglers' Bane from Jima."
   "I thought it'd been a long time since you've had the sweetest leaf in the domain," said Wataru. The pair of them then lay on their backs, letting their eyes wander. "Isn't Redwall an amazing place?"
   Wataru nodded in agreement, "Its' wonder is beyond words." There was a pause before Wataru turned to his friend, "Sandy, if you've been here all this time why didn't you come back to Jima?"
   "When I first arrived I had to earn Mattimeos' trust. It wasn't an easy task. However in time, I grew a fondness for this place and I'm finding it difficult to say goodbye,"
   "We really needed you back home,"
   "Is that so?"
   "You're the Guardian of Mochizuki!"
   "Isn't Jagee doing a good job in my absense?"
   "Sandy, Jagee has been conspiring with the Stormvermin. He was the one who betrayed us at Niji Gate,"
   "What?!"
   "Everything's destroyed. The Eshin army have ransacked the paddies and use the River Oda as a dumping ground for the dead. We have little food, not much drinking water. Sandy if you don't come back with me and do something everybeast is going to starve to death."
   "What about you? I mean you left,"
   "I left to find you. Don't you see Sandy? You're our only hope." The foxs' eyes went sullen, "Sorry." Wataru stared blankly at his friend, "What's the matter? You're not the Sandy I remember,"
   "I am not ready to leave and... I've met somebeast; a mouse-maid,"
   "If you were your old self you would jump at a chance to free your homeland!"
   "You know Wataru, you're starting to sound like our old master,"
   "Good! At least one of us does. This place has truly bewitched you with its charm. Master Krinz was wrong about you. You have no right to wield the Starfire! If you will not save Jima then I'll do it... on my own." With that the otter got up and stormed off to his dormitory. Before descending the steps to the courtyard, the otter allowed himself one last glance. "Ritsuko misses you too," he added. Sandokhan turned his gaze back up to stars and felt tears of frustration roll down his face.
That night Sandokhan had a dream. He was back in Jima commanding an army of Samurai in battle against the Stormvermin. The scenes were like those the fox had witnessed back at Niji Gate. In front of him, surrounded by his personal guard, stood Ikkit Claw. He heard Wataru yell behind him and the otter charged at the warlord. Suddenly, Claw's shadow grew longer and darker. As Wataru reached the edge of the shadow, a long lance shot out of the blackness and impaled the otter through the chest. Then another and another, the otters' corpse was then hoisted into the air where the lances wiggled around making the corpse dance a grotesque jig. The fox then surged forward and drove the Starfire into Claws' chest.
   Crack!
   A long crack run up the length of the Starfire katana with fractures spreading throughout the blade. The sword then shattered into thousands of pieces in the foxs' paws and Claw raised his brazen limb about to make it connect with the foxs' head.    "Here, take my blade!"
   Sandokhan reached behind him and seized the grip of the blade, drawing it from it's scabbard. Sandokhan then hacked and slashed at the black figure until it lay dead at his feet. The fox looked at the blade, it was the same sword Mattimeo carried. The corpse then faded away and so did the blade he used to kill it. Sandokhan then found himself back at Master Krinzs' dojo. There stood in front of him in the blazing sun was the mouse from the tapestry, Martin the warrior. This time the mouse was dressed in full armour with his sword securely fastened to his belt. Martin then spoke to Sandokhan in the language of his homeland, "You know who I am." The fox bowed politely to Martin. "The time to leave has come. I know the abbey is a wondrous place but you must leave or your land will never be free."
   "I am not even prepared,"
   "Your master says you perceive much,"
   "You knew my master?"
   "Correction. I know your master." Sandokhan heard the shuffling of paws behind him and saw his old master, the hare Akito Krinz. "Sandokhan, your mind is closed." The fox shook his head protesting, "No. How can it be?"
   "You have closed off your mind since coming to this place and have forgotten everything I have taught you. Look within yourself Sandokhan. You are to become more than what you already are. You must journey with Wataru back to Jima and join him in the struggle that lies ahead."
   "How will I do that? I don't even know where to begin," said Sandokhan. "Begin by remembering who you are. You are my brightest student, the Guardian of Mochizuki and the sword of your Shogun," the hare then shuddered and faded away. The fox turned back to Martin, "Truth will out...." Martin said as he pulled out a small prayer bell, like the ones carried by Tin-Jins' monks. "And so will you." The bell sounded with complete and absolute clarity.
The fox awoke in his bed. He turned his head to see Sister Stephanie curled up slumbering soundly next to him. She was clutching onto his large, brush-like tail as a dibbun would clutch a treasured bedtime toy. Sandokhan lay back and was drifting off back to sleep when he heard the soft tinkling of a prayer bell, like in his dream. The fox then sat upright and got out of bed. As he put on his nightshirt, Stephanie awoke sitting up in bed. "Sandy? What's the matter?"
   "It's nothing. Go back to sleep," as the mousemaid settled back under the bedclothes, the fox retrieved the Starfire from a rack the abbeydwellers had made for him. Sandokhan opened the door slowly and made his way to Cavern Hole. While walking down the dormitory corridor he bumped into Wataru. "You heard it aswell?"
   "As clear as a stream in spring, matey." When they made their way down to Cavern Hole, Abbot Sedge was up in his nightshirt chatting away to somebeast. When the pair got closer, Sandokhan recognised the features of the strangers' appearance. The red and gold robes, the wooden staff, the extra long beard an aide carried behind him.
   "TIN-JIN!" The fox called out. The blind mouse rose from his seat with his aides' assistance. The two friends then embraced each other, Sandokhan was so thrilled he couldn't let go. "Hehehe, Hello Sandokhan, my lad! Hehehe!"
   "I thought I'd never see you again," said the fox releasing the old monk. "I know Jima has recently become an unpleasant place to stay, but in my heart I knew we would cross paths again."
   "Yes, Wataru told me of what has happened. I never thought things would get so bad so quickly," said Sandokhan. The fox then turned to the Abbot. "Father Abbot. I thank you for all the hospitality you have shown me over the past seasons. But I'm afraid it is time for me to leave Redwall. I must return home." The Abbot shook paws with the fox, "I understand, but what has brought on this change of heart?"
   "I received some sort of message... in my dream,"
   "From Martin the warrior?" Abbot Sedge enquired. "Yes, how did you know?" The Abbot yawned and rubbed fatigue from his eyes, "It's not uncommon for our first warrior to guide us in times of need. What did Martin say to you?"
   "He said; Truth will out..."
   "...and so will you?" They all turned around to see Mattimeo who had wondered into Cavern Hole. "Mattimeo, what are you doing out of bed?" The Abbot asked.
   "I had this dream, I was standing in front of the tapestry and the image of Martin was engulfed in flame. Then my father stepped out of the tapestry and told me to accompany these two brave creatures back to Jima. Then I heard what sounded like a bell and I was drawn to Cavern Hole for some strange reason." Mattimeo stopped short as he saw the old monk. "Who's this?" Mattimeo asked, pointing at Tin-Jin. "His name is Tin-Jin," the Abbot explained. "And I find his conversations most intrigueing to say the least."
   "I assume I am addressing Mattimeo, son of Matthias and Cornflower?" The warrior mouse looked at Tin-Jin astonished, "You know who I am?"
   "Of course I do," Tin-Jin replied, "I wouldn't be very enlightened if I didn't know!" As the night drew on, more and more creatures came wandering in from their sleep, all with the same words on their lips. Sandokhan had soon learned that it was Tsuzuku the otter who had brought Wataru to Mossflower and also that his ship, The Heart of the Ocean, was still anchored offshore next to Salamandastron, the mountain stronghold of the badger lords. Nobeast was able to sleep for the rest of the night as the small band of adventurers made plans for the voyage to the far east.

The next morning the entire abbey was assembled out on the lawn to bid farewell to the group of warriors. They all had knapsacks filled with provisions from the abbey kitchens. Mattimeo intended on only taking his sword and the gauntlets from his suit of armour, he knelt in front of Martin as he bade a tearful farewell to his son. "I'll be gone for quite some time. Now you be good for your mother while I'm away,"
   "Will you be away long?" asked Martin. "A few seasons at least, son." Martin then embraced his father tightly. "Do you remember the story of when Luke left Martin the warrior to fight Vilu Daskar? Well, this is basically the same thing." Martin then broke down in tears, "But Luke never returned," he sobbed.
   "Listen to me son, I promise on the grave of your grandfather, I shall come back." The warrior of Redwall then embraced Tess, "You be careful out there," she said. "I intend to. Don't worry I've got Sandokhan and Wataru to help me and they're both exceptional warriors."
   Elmtail had gathered his bow and a quiver of arrows, however Sam Squirrel was protesting his friends' departure. "I don't see why I can't come to Jima with you," said Sam. "Sam you're the most senior member of the Mossflower Patrol. You have to stay behind and what if this abbey was attacked while Mattimeo and the others were gone? You would have to organise the abbey's defence," Elmtail replied. The two friends then shook paws, "Just come back alive," said Sam.
   Most of the dibbuns were crowded around Sandokhan most of them trying to make him stay, "Now you lot, you knew I had to go home sooner or later. Besides Tin-Jin's staying here for a while you can bother him," the abbey infants all bowed at the fox politely. "Sandy! Sandy!" The fox looked up and saw Sister Stephanie running across the lawn with a book under her arm.
   "Here," she said pressing the book into the foxs' paws. "This is the story of Luke the warrior, Martins' father. Tim made me promise to get it to you before you left."    
   Sandokhan returned a smile as he stuffed it into his knapsack. The mousemaid and fox then embraced, "I'll never forget you. Thank you so much... for everything." Sandokhan stroked her ears tenderly, "You are the most sweetest creature I have ever known," the fox whispered into her ear, before kissing her on her brow. "Goodbye, my goddess of mercy," he added. Stephanie held him even tighter before she gave him one last deep, warm kiss. "Goodbye...my samurai," she added.
    Among the well-wishers were Francis Vole and his wife with Ivy. The fox addressed them next, "Francis, Topaz it was nice meeting you." He then knelt down in front of Ivy, "Ivy, is that your name?" The young volemaid nodded, "You might already know, but my name's Sandokhan. Now what I'm going to do might seem a little strange at first, but I promise not to hurt you, all right?" Ivy nodded again. "I saved you and your family that day because you cried out," the fox explained. Ivy went wide eyed and shook her head vigorously. "Yes you did, with your mind. Now Ivy I want you close your eyes," said Sandokhan. When Ivy closed her eyes Sandokhan drummed his claws lightly along the nape of Ivys' neck. "Ivy, I want you imagine a river in your mind, serene and calm. Now imagine all the bad things in your life as pebbles in your paw. Now cast them into the river. Watch the ripples slowly ebb away as all your fears are carried off by the current." Ivy then shuddered and fainted into Topaz's arms. "Ivy! Will she be all right, Mr. Sandokhan?"
   "Don't worry she'll recover in a few seconds and she should be able to speak now," the fox explained. "Come off it. It'll take a miracle to make her talk," Francis scoffed. Ivy had now opened her eyes, Sandokhan then presented her with a parting gift. A gold prayer bell on a necklace of wooden beads. "For you Ivy. This is the most precious thing you can ever own, this is a prayer bell of Tin-Jins' order. I only know of two beasts at Redwall special enough to own one and one of them is you." Ivy took the bell with a tembling paw as the fox rose to his footpaws and addressed Mattimeo and the others. "I think it's time we made our leave, Tsuzuku isn't going to wait forever." The band of creatures, Mattimeo, Sandokhan, Wataru, Elmtail and Cheek all waved goodbye. "We will never forget you Sandokhan," said Abbot Sedge. "You all will be in my heart, always," said Sandokhan allowing himself one last glimpse at the inhabitants of Redwall Abbey. Ivy's lips began to tremble and the words flowed from her mouth. "Oh don't go, stay here with me," she said.
   Francis turned to his wife, "Well, I've met some real oddballs in my time, but that fox - IVY, YOU SPOKE!" Tess was fighting hard to stop the veil of tears staining her eyes. She felt a large, blunt paw on her shoulder. She turned around to see Auma giving her a comforting smile. "Don't worry, he'll be fine."
   "He will come back. He took his sword with him."
Out on the path heading north towards the River Moss, the party halted to linger and look back. The top of the walls, abbey roof and bell tower could still be seen clearly above the treeline. "Take a good look everybeast, It'll be the last glimpse of Redwall we'll get for a very long time," said Mattimeo. "Mattimeo, how long will it take Flugg and his shrews to ferry us to the coast?" Sandokhan asked. "Should take little more than a few hours. I just hope Watarus' brother is still there when we arrive."
   "Don't worry Matty. My brother always keeps his word," said Wataru reassuringly. It was getting near midday when the party reached the bridge further northward up the path. There they all paused for a light lunch, nothing fancy just oat bread with mature cheese. "How long will it take us to get to Jima?" Elmtail enquired. "It took me about two and a half seasons to get from Jima to Mossflower. But that was because my ship was sailing against tidal currents. So when we set sail we should be travelling with the current so I really don't know," said Sandokhan. Just then they heard the sound of oars dipping in and out of the water. They all peered over the side of the bridge and saw several GUOSIM shrew boats travelling down the river. Flugg caught sight of Mattimeo and waved to him. Within short order, the band of warriors were sailing west towards Salamandastron.
   The grassy banks and tree line of Mossflower wood soon thinned out and then disappeared, levelling out into plains before turning into shifting sands and scrub. The great mountain stronghold of the badger lords loomed on the horizon. On the south bank, the shrew-boats were waved into mooring by Long Patrol hares. Mattimeo had told Flugg of their task and soon enough the Log-a-log gathered his shrews together. Flugg held the black stone in his paw as he spoke to the tribe, "Members of the GUOSIM. You have all heard the tale Wataru and Sandokhan related to us. There is evil abroad in a foreign land and their numbers are too small to defeat it. They have asked us to sail east with them and bring peace to their country." There were some murmurs of disagreement but still a vote was taken. Many of the shrews agreed to travel but the rest decided to remain behind.
   Their escort lead them across the shifting sands around Salamandastron until they caught sight of ship off the coast. "The Heart of the Ocean," Wataru declared. "I say, you chaps. Wait for me!" They recognised the voice of George Stag Hare, who was huffing and puffing trying to keep up. The hares saluted smartly as George doubled over trying to catch his breath. "Oh, at ease chaps! I've been trying to catch you bods before you left. His Lordship has granted me a temporary leave of absence, don't cha know. So, if you don't mind, I'm going to accompany you to this Mumbo-land or whatever it's called."
   "Jima... and yes you may come along. We need more fighters for our cause," said Wataru. When they arrived at the tide line, several rowing boats were ready to take them to the ship. The Long Patrol offered the use of their row boats for the shrews. In short order Wataru was reunited with his brother and introductions were made all around. "It's nice to meet you all. It'll be good to have extra hands on board." Tsuzuku then turned to Sandokhan, "We're just taking on the last of the supplies. The navigators of this region have been thorough in charting these waters, according to one chart if we set a course south-south west we should come across what they call the Roaringburn. A strong tidal current that'll carry the ship and we'll clear the headland of Southsward Domain in a matter of days. Then it should be easy to find the ocean currents that lead east."
   "As soon as those supplies are aboard get ready to cast off. We need to leave as soon as possible," said Sandokhan. The fox then stood in front of the band of fighters he'd gathered, "And now, for your training."
   After the last of the food and fresh water were on board, The Heart of the Ocean hauled anchor and cast off with both shrew and otter alike contributing to the dilly-dally on deck. Down in the hold Sandokhan had plans, he observed Mattimeo's sword skill for some time and it had occurred to the fox many times that the Redwal warrior was in need of some advanced instruction.

In the following days The Heart of the Ocean had cleared the south coast of Southsward and was on a easterly course following the great tidal currents and Sandokhan had taught Mattimeo much. One calm night in the ships' hold, Mattimeo exchanged glancing blows with Sandokhan. The fox was proving more than a match for the Redwall warrior. With one blow Mattimeo was bowled over and lay on the deck gasping for air. The fox extended a paw and helped Mattimeo to his footpaws, "You're relying too much on brute strength. Try to be more fluid with your arm and wrist movements."
   "It's difficult with this sword. I try to put into practice what you teach me, but I can't," Mattimeo explained. "It's because your broadsword is too heavy. I suggest we work on your upper body strength before I train you further. Or you could exchange your sword for a katana," Sandokhan suggested.
   "No, the sword of Martin is treasured by my abbey. I prefer to use it," said Mattimeo, shaking his head. "Do you remember the stories of Jima I told you over the winter. There was one story the dibbuns wanted me to tell them every night, do you remember which one?"
   "Yes, Kenji and the Dragon," Mattimeo replied.
In times past, Jima was united and happy under the reign of the Sun Emperor. But after his death, no heir came to claim the throne and Jima was torn apart by savage civil war. Samurai clans joined battle with the royal retainers over the ownership of land and the sovereign right to rule the country. After long years of struggle the last of the royal retainers were subdued and the nation was divided into provinces, each ruled by the stronger or wealthier Samurai clans. From South Mochizuki came a Samurai mouse from the clan of the Nine Circles called Kenji. Kenji was a mercenary, however many clans would not except his services due to his lower skills. One day, Kenji went to seek out the dragon of Kuma Mountain. He asked the dragon to teach him the way of the sword. Kenji trained for a full year and he became more than a master, he became a sword saint. Afterwards, Kenji realised his dream to unite Jima once more. He was in many battles and one after another the borders that divided land and territories began to merge. Clans flocked to Kenji's banner and he raised a massive Samurai army and he crushed the Nine Circle Clans' most powerful enemy; the Ninjinkai Clan. Eventually Jima was united, this time under the banner of the badger Masakado, the first shogun of Jima. Together Masakado and Kenji founded their own Samurai clan; The Clan of the Red Dawn and they ruled over Jima with a stern but just hand. Years later, the dragon of Kuma Mountain descended from his home and came to Kenjis' castle, demanding the life of his princess as payment for his training. Kenji took the Starfire and drove it into his own chest and cut out his heart. With his last ounce of strength, he held it up to the dragon and said "My love is in here. Take it." Then Kenji died.
"Do you remember the moral of the story?" Sandokhan asked. Mattimeo thought hard about his answer, "Inner strength is more powerful than brute strength?"
   "Not quite. But you will understand in time," Sandokhan smiled.

MatthiasMan

How long ago did you write these stories?

SandyB

I've had the idea for years, but it took about three months to put down the idea in cliff-notes, another four months to link it all together, and about a year of tweaking. I posted it on another website first, got initial feedback and then finally editing iit.

MatthiasMan

Are you an author? Cause if you are, I could use help to figure out my story The Maiden's Trial. My stories for some reason kinda write themselves.

AbbotAlf0805

ya and im outta ideas for my book the blade of noonvale. Dude you are the next Brian Jacques
I will lead Redwall Abbey to a golden age of peace through the power of Jesus Christ.

SandyB

I'm just an amateur writter with a lot of spare time on his hands. If any of you guys want any poniters, just drop me a message on my profile.

SandyB

AbbotAlf0805

Awesome but a little.. uh.. gross in chapter 17

SandyB

Quote from: AbbotAlf0805 on June 14, 2012, 07:16:59 PM
Awesome but a little.. uh.. gross in chapter 17

That's 'cuz you're young and don't understand....

Yet...

AbbotAlf0805

Hey dude i know all about that stuff. It was just unexpected.