News:

"Beep-Bloop" -Matti, probably

Main Menu

Crest Rise - by Cregga

Started by cregga rose eyes, November 17, 2012, 10:15:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cregga rose eyes

Crest Rise Summary-
Emerald, a young vixen, decides she does not want the typical life laid out for a fox. She wants to be known as a good beast, so her only decision lay with running away from her father, Ormis Kingclaw. Except she has a large problem; her father is the Warlord of a large army, and he does not want her to ruin his reputation as a lord who allows one as high as his daughter to escape.
Her father for her whole life has sheltered Oree, a young ottermaid; she was never allowed to learn the ways of a warrior as her twin brother, Torin, did. Will a visiting warrior be able to change this?
Goby, a baby shrew and a Dibbun at an Abbey far southeast of Redwall called Crest Rise, finds a mysterious object while playing in the abbey's pond. What will follow this find; perhaps only one beast will know, but he may be unaware of the dangers knowledge can unearth. Will Crest Rise be able to uphold itself against the coming unknown.
The Abbey of Crest Rise lies in a land known as Oak Fallen. This place is just past the cliffs that hold the ruins of Loamhedge, but the cliffs pose as a landmark that has kept the knowledge of Redwall from Crest Rise (and vice versa) unknown.

This is a fanfic I started several years ago and Decided to rewrite it for the second time. Unfortunately my posting of chapters will have tad bit of space between them. Mainly due that I am a slow typer.
I will apologize now for I like to occasionally over or under do accents so please bear with me.
If you want to see the original typings than you can find them under Crest Rise on fanfiction.net or if you look up my username of Emeraldwolf64 .

Thank you for reading and the discussion can be found Here.
Drifting with the wind
I usually go by LakeLake nowadays

phoenixfoden

cregga rose eyes

Crest Rise Chapter One
She quickly sprinted around the base of the cliff. Upon hearing noise behind her, she turned her head to glance back. The noise was increasing in volume. She surged forward, but she was quickly running out of energy!
   "I hear somethin' ova' der." Some beast yelled. "It got to be her, Boss."
   "Good work, Thawn." Gasped the one known as Boss, he was also running out of breath. "Thawn, Flint, One Ear follow behind her. Everyone else, follow me."
   Thawn and Flint, both weasels, and One Ear, a rat, continued on their route behind the chased. The Boss, and the remaining three, curved out in a knowing attempt to cut her off.
The vixen, now frantic, desperately threw herself at the cliff face, trying to scramble up its sheer face. She made it several paces before when seven assorted creatures burst out of the woods behind her.
   The Boss, a tale male fox, said, "None of youse even scratch her, or we'll all be dead beasts."
   "Get away from me." The vixen, who clung to the almost invisible paw holds, screeched. "Just stay away from me, Torrent."
   The fox Torrent laughed. "Now why is this Lady, now do tell, I hate to know that I've chasing youse all morning because youse had a grand idea of strollin' along without your guard."
   She sobbed from where she hung. "I don't like them wood landers callin' me a vermin, Torrent, so I'm not gonna stay around with my pa, just so I'll be called scum."
   "Now, now, Lady Emerald, don't go all high 'n' mighty on me just because youse don't like name-callin'." Torrent said coldly. "Just come down like any good foxy, and your Father won't have to hear the details."
   Emerald lowered herself down by the length of a paw. She froze debating whether or not to go down completely. She made her decision and stayed put. She flatly said, "No."
   Torrent sighed; his Lord had not raised his daughter to be a complete dimwit. "Lady, youse are still high above the ground. If youse have the fear of heights, Frowner is an excellent climber. He can easily help youse down if that be the case."
   Frowner, a ferret, nodded and stepped forth to wait for the word for him to assist the young vixen. "Aye, mi' Lady, I am a proper good climber if ya need help down."
   "No." The frightened fox's shrill voice filled the air. "No. No, no."
   "Lady, youse Father demanded of yours presence immediately. Lady, youse of all beasts, should know not to keep yours Father from waiting. Youse have had us tracking you all morning, the sun is at its highest. Do come down now, Lady." Torrent remarked, hoping that Emerald would come down in fear of her Father wrath.
   Emerald hesitated, but otherwise she did not move from her position.
   "Lady. Yours Father's rules were that your return would be immediate. I extremes are to be met, I will use force to bring youse back to camp." Torrent was sly with his words (as any proper fox should) and knew that Emerald would come down in fear of pain, for she was not very tolerate of pain from living a very pampered life.
   "You can't." Emerald scorned, her voice a higher pitch than it normally would be. "You said yourself that you'd be killed if you even scratch me."
   "My lady." Torrent said. "Whose said we did youse harm? You were running aimlessly through a heavily wooded area. Youse only fell from not lookin' to where youse was goin'. Youse should come down though, Lady. I would hate to lie to yours Father, but what he doesn't know won't hurt him."
   "So if I come down. You promise not to hurt me?" Emerald asked.
   Torrent waved his paw towards his 'Band'. They all nodded to convince Emerald that she could trust Torrent's words.
   Emerald lowered herself down. The opposing beasts, who were already in a U-formation around the cliff, stayed in their position. Emerald crept forward to stand before Torrent. She had her dark colored ears laid flat against her head as she walked forward to stand in front of Torrent.
   Emerald made a last feeble attempt to convince Torrent to change his mind. "Please don't make me go back."
   Torrent began to laugh. "Of course yours goin' back. Lord Kingclaw wouldn't be to happy with me letting youse go loose."
   Suddenly, the keen ears of Torrent's picked up a strange whizzing sound. He did not have enough time to duck as a sharp rock nipped the tip of one of his ears. The rock continued to clack against the face of the cliff.
   Torrent looked to see where the stone had come from. He spotted her swinging her sling aloft. The vixen wore a Brown-grey mottled tunic and had silvery-white fur.
   The sling-bearer had a menacing look as she said, "Let her go, and perhaps I'll keep my next stone from doing ter much harm."
   Torrent snorted. "I am a general in my Lord Kingclaw's army. I will not do as youse command me. Flint, One Ear, kill this pest."
   One Ear and Flint advanced on the silver vixen who did budge. With speed compared to that of lightning she had released a stone deadly aim that hit Flint's sword paw, causing him to drop his rapier and shout out in pain. She quickly after had made One Ear drop his spear to yelp as Flint did.
   Emerald saw her chance and she sprinted forward. Her only thought was whoever had sent this vixen had done her a favor. She ran forward hoping that no harm came to her savior, but this time she refused to let herself look back.
Drifting with the wind

cregga rose eyes

Crest Rise    Chapter Two
Oree playfully twirled through the water of the side stream of the great river, Corin. Several other otters could be seen swimming; many, only to keep an eye on their little ones, who at the moment were mainly pestering the young otter, who was a few years out of childhood, named Torin, Oree's twin brother.
   Torin was the typical jokester, the same as his sister. They did have a few serious bones in their bodies, but not many. Torin was only serious when it came to practicing with his javelin or sling. Oree usually was serious in her studies, for that was all she felt she could be serious in. All who knew them said that Oree was the wiser.
   They both had brown fur scattered with silver hairs; their tails had much more silver fur than the rest of their bodies. A trait that got from their Father, Silvertail.
   Oree grinned as she thought up a great idea. She ducked beneath the surface to pop up next to her brother. She couldn't help but wink at Torin as she stated to the babies. "Who wants to play otter and minnows?"
   All of the baby otters' paws shot up, along with shouts of; "Me wanna be da odder." "Nope, I da odder, 'cause I da fastest." or "No, dat wid nit be fair."
   "This is a special game." Oree giggled. "Everyone, but Torin, is the otter, and Torin is the minnow. So whoever catches him wins."
   Torin fled underwater as the horde of babies rushed at him. Oree knew the babies wouldn't be able to catch Torin just by chasing him. She also knew that he would let them catch him eventually.
   Oree was laughing as Torin popped up not too far from where she swam, he called. "I get ya for dis un, sis."
   Oree saw that Torin had put her between him and the mob; she rushed to the shallows to hop out on the shore. Fortunately she escaped the attacking little ones.
   She shook herself dry as she trotted to the main entrance of the Holt. The holt itself was underground, beneath an ancient oak tree. Many claim that it once was the home of moles, but most likely the river flooded the caverns, forcing the moles to leave and move on.
   She smelled the scents of Hotroot and watershrimp soup, the average otter's favorite food, coming up from the underground passage. She licked her lips as she trotted down the earthen passage.
   She entered a large cavern, the main room. Its walls were covered with wooden boards to support the walls. To the far end of the room was a large fireplace that was built to hold large cauldrons to cook soups that were the holt's major diet. Usually the older otter females stayed near the fire so that they could make sure no one tried to steal some soup.
   Elsewhere, otters of almost all ages ranged the room. Many stood in groups, but others would sit at the table and benches on the outskirts of the room. Oree say a group of otters her age, she walked over to them and plopped down besides two young ottermaids.
   "Oree, where you been?" Asked the maid two her left.
   "Outside messing with my brother. What else would I be doing Coral?"  Oree said.
   "Hmmm, let me think." Remarked the otter on her right, Furla. "Sneaking javelin lessons. What else."
   Oree sighed. "You all know my Father would kill me if I did that and he found out."
   "Don't let him find out." Whispered another, a young male otter named Fleck.
   "I can't." Oree said. "He has ears everywhere, he's bound to find out that we're talking about this, so hush up. Any one heard anything interesting?"
   "Actually." Stated Coral. "I'm not sure if its true, but my cousin, Jeffrey, was telling Silvertail that she spotted some vermin across the river."
   "Let me guess." Laughed Fleck. "You just happen to walk by at the exact moment?"
   "Yep, She said that the group was chasing some fox." Coral said. "She said that she left when the fox was trying to climb those cliffs. Didn't know that vermin were insane."
   "None of the warriors seem to be gone, besides one or two for the usual patrol." Oree reported. "Did my Da not send anyone after them. Scum like them shouldn't li¬–."
   Oree was unable to finish because a bellowing call from one of the cooks disturbed her. "Dinner, first come, first served."
   The fifty otters of the holt and the several visitors who knew how the holt worked rushed forward, trying to be first in line. Oree strolled towards the line; she had a lot on her mind.
   After a good bustling of paws, every beast got some food. While most w were finished with their meal. A squirrel, who had been with the otters for several days, pulled out a reed flute. He whispered to a few otters, and than began to play a cheerful tune while the otter began to sing:
"As the water flows,
The Kingfisher goes.
Yo Hey Youu!
The whistles blows,
As the sparrow woes.
Yo Hey Youu!
A singin' this song,
Only the river knows.
Yo Hey Youu!"
Every one clapped their paws together and sang loudly the "Yo Hey Youu" parts.
   After awhile many left to their rooms. The squirrel, Martin, along with a few otters watched as Torin and Coral's cousin, Jeffrey, fought. Oree watch from afar as the two warriors hit javelin against javelin.
   Oree just stared forward watching the blurred ends flash through the air. Oree only wished she, too, could fight.

((((If you are confused by something, Please tell me. There might be something I've forgotten to type or somehow I skipped and didn't realize. Thank you for reading!!!))))
Drifting with the wind

cregga rose eyes

Crest Rise    Chapter Three
It is still the beautiful and extremely hot days of Sun's Eye. Though the seasons are named for what they are, this summer has been too much of its name. Our only cool hours happen at late night, when the moon is at its highest.
All in all though, it is a glorious day. I fear for midsummer, for summer has just begun and the heat is almost unbearable after the frozenness of winter.
The rain has forsaken us. Several days ago, some of the Asooft (All Shrews of Oak Fallen Territory) came to inform us to be lenient with our water use, for only the deepest part of the places with water would survive the summer.
Ah, there I go, mumbling on and on about how I worry for the Abbey. It has been a long many years since Crest Rise has faced drought, but all will be well in the end.

Signed– Brother Hermin– Recorder of Crest Rise Abbey
Hermin, a mouse in his older years, sighed as he laid his quill down. Putting the stopper on his ink well. He stretched and stood up. He was in a room off of the living area of the gatehouse.
The Abbey had two small rooms connected to the living area of the gatehouse. A young otter named Scout occupied one room. While Hermin kept his writing materials in the other, which served him as an office and sometimes as a rest place for he had a small cot pushed against one corner.
He yawned as he strolled out of his office. Scout lay snoozing on the armchair. Hermin shook his head at the otter. The mouse walked out into the bright sunlight.
"Hermin, care to help me out. It'll stretch out those paws of yours." Hermin looked to see Arma, the badgermum of the Abbey. Arma was watching the Dibbuns (baby creatures of an Abbey).
"Why not." Responded Hermin as he walked towards the abbey pond where the little animals splashed around. When he arrived, Arma scooted over and patted the spot next to her. Hermin sat down.
"How has the day been?" Hermin asked Arma.
"Fine, until we went out to find some early berries. They all probably ate twice their weight in berries. Lucky for us that there were plenty of berries out there. Had to send them in there to rinse some of the stains out."
"No baths than?" Hermin said.
Arma whispered. "Yes, but don't let them know. They think they got out of them."
Arma turned her head to gaze out at the Dibbuns. Hermin saw her eyes squint as if she saw something she wasn't sure on whether or not she was seeing it.
"What is it?" Hermin asked as he tried to match where her eyes were looking.
"Look at Goby, the little shrew right there." Arma remarked. "What has he got?"
"It looks like something made of gold."
Arma nodded in agreement. "Goby. Come here please."
The shrew baby shook his head as he stared at his new possession.
"Goby." Arma rose as she headed towards the pond. Goby looked up to see the upset badger coming towards him. He squeaked, dropping the object.
It shone as it hit the surface. Arma saw that it was some tube shaped, but she was unable to reach Goby in time to grab it.
Drifting with the wind

cregga rose eyes

Crest Rise    Chapter Four
   Emerald was exhausted. Her aching legs were struggling not to trip on her shredded skirts. She had never planned on what to do once she got away, for she thought she wouldn't get away.
   Emerald heard something; she threw herself down into the jumbled roots of a large tree. She realized that the noise she heard was some beast running.
   She burst through some bushes, panting heavily. Emerald saw the strange silver fox look down.
   "If I wanted you dead. You would still be with that rude one, the General." Remarked the sling-bearer.
   Emerald climbed out from her hiding spot. Shakily she said, "I'm Emerald."
   "Emerald." The silver fox remarked. "Well, I am Tetra Hedra. Though, I'm also known as Tetra Oneaim."
   "Why did you help me?" Emerald asked.
   Tetra looked around. "We should be going. There are more than that General, who are willing to kill the likes of you or me."
   "Your right." Emerald paused. "Where are we to go?"
   "We will go to my den for now." Tetra responded. "Follow me."
   Tetra trotted forward. Emerald knew her best bet was to stay with Tetra, so she ran behind the silver fox.
   Emerald never knew she could get so tired, when Tetra finally stopped.
   "Are we there?" Emerald gasped.
   "Yes. It is just over here." Tetra remarked. She pulled some ferns over to reveal I a hole in the ground. "Just down here."
   "Okay." Emerald said.
   Tetra darted down the hole. Emerald heard voices. The first was Tetra's. "Platinum. I've brought a guest home."
   "Well, that's good you were beginning to bore me."
   Emerald saw Tetra's head pop out of the entrance. "Well are you coming?"
   "Yeah." Emerald crawled down the tunnel.
   Tetra pulled the ferns back over the entry.

((((Please read and review))))
Drifting with the wind