"Beep-Bloop" -Matti, probably

Main Menu

~Finding You~

Started by rachel25, May 18, 2013, 12:15:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rachel25

Finding You

Prologue
It was a cold, bitter, winter's night. The freezing wind howled but it could not enter into the tall, structure of Jasmine Castle. The grey castle had stood in the forest of Hawk Woods for centuries. It had once been the home of many woodlanders. But now it was the stronghold of Emperor Duskan. The weasel Warlord had conquered a large part of Hawk Woods when he was a young vermin. But now he was getting old. Duskan sat outside one of the Castle rooms. He was a tall, slender weasel with pale green eyes. At one time he had been quite handsome but the years of war had left their mark on the middle aged weasel. His paws were rough and unfeeling. His chest and back was a gallery of scars. But tonight all of that didn't matter because on the other side of the door he sat next to was his wife. Tonight he would be a father. He couldn't wait to teach his child all the rules of war and how to rule woodlanders and to keep them in check. He sat up quickly at the sound of a scream from the other side of the door. Any moment now...... He then heard the high pitched squeal of a new born baby weasel. He rushed into the room. In front of him was an old ratwife holding a small bundle. Another ratwife stood next to a bed which contained his wife. He walked over to the ratwife who was holding the bundle. She was shaking as if she had seen some sort of hideous monster. He took the wriggling bundle of velvet from the ratwife and peered at the tiny weasel and froze. The baby weasel's face was all on a slant. Its mouth was on an angle and its nose was too high up. One of its eyes was green like his but the other was yellow. The small, blind, weasel reached out its left paw. It was all twisted from the wrist up to its shoulder. Duskan couldn't speak and then the other ratwife said the words which changed his life forever.
"She's dead! Empress Fliten is dead!" She screamed.
Duskan dropped the bundle of velvet. His legs gave way and he collapsed into a heap on the floor. The baby weasel began to cry pitifully.
"Get this demon away from me! Take it somewhere so I will never have to see it again." He screamed. One of the ratwives pointed at a young ratmaid.
"You take this devil's child and hide it somewhere so no one will ever see it," she called. The ratmaid ran forward and picked up the crying bundle. She fled the room carrying the baby weasel. She ran outside and looked about her. And then up at the tower. No one ever went up there. She burst through the doors and raced up the stairs. She finally came to a room right at the top of the tower. She pulled open the door and ran inside. There was a bed, a fireplace, and a barred window. She put the baby weasel down on the bed and went over to the fireplace. She had noticed that the baby weasel was a male. And she knew that she would have to look after him. Because no one else would, that was certain.

rachel25

Please do not write on here what you think please go to the ~Finding You~ discussion topic  ;D which can be found here enjoy ;)

rachel25

Chapter one
   Many seasons had passed since that cold winter's night. It was now the middle of spring.
All the trees were heavily laden with blossom and the grass spread out like a green carpet with little flowers dotted all over it.
Jasmine Castle stood in the middle of perfect beauty, to the south, east, and west, of the tall structure stood three small villages. These villages were inhabited by the woodlanders who once owned Hawk Woods but now they only lived to serve Emperor Duskan.
The weasel that stood next to the tower window could see all of this. He stared out longing to go out and enjoy the glories of spring. He reached his twisted paw out of the window which he had smashed many seasons ago and sighed. He had never left the tower since the day he had been born. Day in day out he had done barely anything else but stand here and wish he was out there.
His sensitive ears heard the sound of metal scraping on metal. He turned and saw a dead woodpigeon being pushed through the steel trap at the bottom of the oak door. He sighed again. Creatures had stopped coming in to bring him his food a long time ago. He knew that they stopped coming in because he attacked every creature which opened the door.
He scampered over to the woodpigeon on all fours and started tucking into his grizzly meal with relish. He started to laugh insanely. He only did this to make the creature on the other side of the door think he was mad. It was essential that everyone thought he was insane or else his plan would never work.
Very few creatures even knew of his existence. They had all been told that Empress Fliten and the baby had died at birth. Most of the vermin who worked for Emperor Duskan thought that the tower was haunted.
The ratmaid who had brought him here had continued to look after him. But then she got married and forgot about him. Other creatures had been told to bring food and water up to the room and still did. Everyone who knew of his existence thought that he would die when he was a babe. But instead he had grown stronger and had grown quit mad. Any creature he thought was staring at his face he attacked and there for no one was allowed to enter his room.
When he had finished eating he then walked back over to the window and looked down. And there they were. What he was looking at were two weasels. One was Emperor Duskan, but the other was a much younger weasel. This was Duskan's son. After a few seasons Emperor Duskan remarried and had another son. This son had been perfect as far as Duskan could see. He was young, handsome, and very obedient. His name was Gilton.
Since no one had named Duskan's first son he had named himself. He had called himself Bludfang but Fang for short. Fang daily cursed his half-brother.

"One day you will die and it will be me who killed you." Fang whispered to himself before disappearing back into the shadows. He had some serious planning to do if he was ever going to get out of here.

rachel25

Chapter 2

It was a wet spring morning, the sky heavy and grey. The trees, who only had little baby leaves on their branches, offered little protection from the downpour. The broad stone path was deserted save for a young otter maid no older than fifteen seasons, tall and slender, who was carrying a large basket. Her name was Stream. Wiping away the rainwater that trickled into her eyes Stream, left the path and trudged towards a long, low, forbidding stone building.
This was East Village Prison.
Walking up to the door, she knocked and then waited. She had come to bring her older brother River food, and clothes. Her brother had been arrested for treason against Emperor Duskan two months ago. He had been plotting to over throw the weasel ruler and take back Hawk Woods. But someone had informed a vermin guard and the next day one score vermin guards had turned up at the small cottage that Stream and River shared and had taken him away. Then suddenly on the day of his trial Emperor Duskan had fallen ill. A healer had been called. The old fox healer had said Emperor Duskan had little time left.  River's trial had been postponed.
No one at the prison took care of the prisoners. Their family were expected to do that. Stream and River's parents had both been killed in a rebellion a long time ago so twice a day Stream came to the prison with food. The door of the prison opened and an overweight ferret stepped into view.
"Aaaa, I was wondering when you would show up." He said. His voice was deep and gravely.
"Sorry sir Grasel." Stream mumbled.
"Well come along then." Grasel gestured with his paw at a long corridor. It was damp and there were stagnant puddles of water all over the floor. Foul smelling lanterns hung from the wall giving off dirty black smoke which filled the corridor.
Stream stepped inside out of the rain and followed him down the corridor. They walked past many barred doors all of which were empty. Stream looked at the filthy cells and felt sick.  
They finally came to a cell which was inhabited. The cell contained a young, handsome, otter. He looked up as they approached.
"I didn't think you were coming." He said cheerily looking at Stream.
Grasel took a bunch of keys from his belt and selected one and put it in the lock and turned it. The steel door squeaked as it was opened. Stream stepped inside and Grasel shut and locked the door again.
"I'll give ya ten minutes." He said looking at Stream.
"Thank you sir," she replied.  Grasel grunted then turned and walked away.
Stream started to unpack her basket. River watched quietly.
"So how's the old devil then." He said casually. Stream knew he meant Duskan.
"The latest news is that he's fading fast and won't last much longer." She replied picking up an apple and handing it to River.
"That's good the only problem is that, that stupide son of his will take over." River said before taking a bite of the apple.
"Yeah he'll just ruin the place." Stream said glumly.  She looked up and soar the dreamy look in River's eyes.
"No, no you can't go to war with him!" She said firmly. River looked away and took another bite out of his apple.
"What does it matter I'll probably be dead." River said angrily.
"That won't happen I highly doubt that Duskan's son even knows you exist." Stream said wiping away a tear.  
She then stood up at the sound of Grasel returning.
"Come on you time to go." He said opening the door. Stream took everything out of her basket and handed it to River. She then kissed his cheek before leaving with Grasel. River stood up and walked over to the barred door and watched Stream leave the prison.
"I won't die. Not while you still need me."
Gilton stood next to a bed in an elaborate room. He looked at his father and sighed. How long did it take for a weasel to die? He couldn't wait until his father died then he would be in charge. Emperor Gilton he liked the sound of his would be title. There was a movement from under the covers of the bed.
"Gilton my son." Duskan's voice was quiet and dry.
"My time is nearly over and I want to bless you with one thing before I die." Duskan's voice was barely above a whisper.
"Yes sir." Gilton said excitedly.
"An Emperor needs an Empress does he not?" Duskan continued. Gilton's face was full of disappointment. Duskan ignored this and continued.

"You will marry Lord Rento's daughter." He said firmly. Lord Rento was one of Duskan's advisers and he had two sons and a daughter whose name is Sahuma.

"Thank you sir." Gilton said brightening up. Lord Rento's daughter Sahuma was very pretty; yes she would make a fine Empress.

"I will arrange everything so that the wedding will be as soon as possible." Duskan said. A weak smile on his face.

"Thank you sir," Gilton said happily.

"I knew you would be pleased; now leave me I must rest." Duskan said rolling over onto his side.
Night had set in. Fang was over by his window. He had found some sort of knife in his room last winter and ever since he had been using it to chip away the masonry around one of the bars in his window.
"Almost there; you'll come out any day now." He crooned to the bar. "Don't worry little Gilton I won't ruin your wedding I'll come and get you on your coronation that will be even worse."

rachel25

Chapter 3
Gilton sat up in bed. It was the day after his wedding and his head hurt. He must have drunk more wine than he thought.
Gilton rolled out of bed and walked over to a cord which was hanging from the ceiling. It was weaved from the finest cloth. He gave it a sharp tug and then another. A few seconds later a young squirrelmaid came running in. She bowed and awaited orders.
“Get me my silk blue tunic, and my velvet cloak, NOW!” Gilton said in an I’m in charge sort of voice.
The squirrelmaid bowed again and left the room.  Gilton walked over to a large mirror which ran the length of the entire wall and examined himself. Yes he was handsome, very handsome indeed.
  He turned as the squirrelmaid came scampering back in carrying his silk blue tunic and his velvet cloak. 
After he was dressed Gilton went down stairs. He walked into a huge dining room and walked over to a long table which took up most of the room and sat down in a beautifully carved wooden chair . A short, thin, hedgehog brought food over to him. He ate little tormenting the hungry hedgehog that had severed him. It stared longingly at Gilton’s plate as he picked at the food.
When Gilton had finished eating he went back upstairs to see his father. When he reached the door to his father’s room he met two large rats were guarding it.   
“Remove yourselves, from my sight this instant.” Gilton ordered.
The two rat guards quickly walked down the corridor. They didn’t want to get in trouble with the next ruler of Hawk Woods, and Jasmine Castle.
When they had gone Gilton opened the door and walked in. He looked at the old, broken, figure who was his father in disgust. He quickly hid this and walked over to the bed. Emperor Duskan looked at him lovingly. He had no idea of his son’s thoughts and intentions.
“My son,” he said weakly. His voice was quiet and faint.  “My time, is now I can feel it.” He said swallowing hard. “You are now, the new Emperor.” He said before launching into a fit of coughing.
Gilton tried to hide his joy. At last the old fool was dying.
“Oh father, say this is not true.” Gilton said pretending to wipe away a tear.
“I am afraid, it is true. But don’t worry, this is what I want, I want you beside me, in my final hours.” Duskan gasped reaching out for Gilton’s paw. Gilton picked up the flailing paw and squeezed it reassuringly.
“Don’t worry, I’m here.” He said kindly patting the paw.
Duskan gave one final gasped and died.
Gilton stood up and smirked.
“Ha, at last you decided to die. How touching it is, that I was here to witness it.” Gilton sneered.
He then ran out of the room shouting and pretending to be shocked, and sad, and heartbroken, all the same time.
“He’s dead! My dear old father is dead!” He yelled.
“Somebody do something, Oh my poor, old, father!” He screamed.
Creatures came running up the stairs. The two rats that had been guarding the door ran forward and burst through the door and into the room.  They came back out again.
“It’s true, Emperor Duskan is dead.” One the rats said gravely.
That night everyone was talking about the old Emperors death. Up in the tower Fang was by his window chipping away the mortar around the olds rusted, metal bar. He had heard of Duskan’s death when Gilton had started screaming and shouting. Fang had smiled with delight. This was perfect. Duskan would be buried tomorrow and the day after that Gilton would be crowned Emperor.
Fang looked at the bar he was trying to pull out.
“Yes, you’ll come out any moment now.” He whispered.
He then got hold of the bar with both paws and pulled. The mussels on his arms and back stood out as he heaved willing the bar to come out. And then it did.

rachel25

Chapter 4

When the bar had suddenly come loose, he had fallen backwards, still clutching the bar. Wasting no time, he hopped up onto the sill before swinging his sinewy body out onto the face of the tower. His sharp, strong, claws found every crack and opening, making the decent easy.  
Upon reaching the ground he quickly checked to ensure he was alone, then sprinted across the cobbled square towards the guardhouse. Entering silently as a ghost, he avoided the sleeping guards, and searched through their belongings until he had found what he was looking for.
A weapon.  
He also stole an old black cloak which he had taken a fancy to before exiting the guardhouse through a small window which looked out onto the parade ground in front of Jasmine Castle. The wan moonlight caught his sharp teeth as he grinned. At last he would have his revenge.
Scurrying across the exposed parade ground towards the castle, he quickly reached the walls and started climbing. Climbing this wall was much harder that climbing down out the tower. The tower's walls had been uneven and full of cracks but the castle's walls were almost completely smooth, even devoid of any creepers or ivy to cling onto. He cursed the grey stone and kept climbing.
Eventually, he reached a window and clambered onto the windowsill, using one sharp claw to cut a circle in a single pane of the glass. Reaching a paw through the gap he had created, he used a claw to work the latch loose. The window swung open.
He made no noise as he slithered from the outer sill to the inner sill, his movements flowing and deliberate as he dropped from the sill to the floor. He closed the window silently, then shut the curtains that were stationed either side of the window. After ensuring the chamber was empty, he set about finding a place to hide. It was while he was doing this that he realized that the room that he was standing in was no other than Duskan's old bed chamber.  Fang gave a sinister chuckle.
Well, he wasn't in need of it any more. He pulled the sheets off the bed and had arranged them unceremoniously on the floor. He found it impossible to sleep in a bed.
Morning came far too quickly, but Fang was up before the dawn, looking out of the window of his father's old bed chamber and onto the gathered woodlanders and vermin.
He knew no one would remember to feed him today so now alarm would be raised over his disappearance. They were all too busy attending the funeral of their Emperor. He looked at the cold and wet creatures crammed into the parade ground in front of Jasmine Castle. As is drawn by some invisible force, his eyes went to the figure of Gilton, his half-brother.  Fang remembered the days of solitude in the tower and felt the familiar hatred rise in him. Nothing would stop him from having his revenge, not now, and how sweet it would be when it finally came. Fang licked his lips in savage anticipation and settled down to wait.
Gilton stood at the top of the stairs which led up to the main doors of Jasmine Castle.
Despite the fact that it was raining hard, every creature that had served the old Emperor was present. Only prisoners were not allowed to attend.      
Gilton walked down the stairs slowly, four burly weasels carrying Duskan's coffin in front of him. Gilton had dreamed of this day for seasons and at last it was happening. He was finding it hard to pretend to be sad and mournful. The rain battered mercilessly on the congregation. Every so often a vermin guard would have to wave his or her weapon at the assembled woodlanders, fearful of an uprising. If the woodlanders were ever going to revolt, this would be the time.  
While all this was going on no one noticed the figure of Fang standing at an upstairs window.
Stream stood between two molewives who were nattering away about what a horrible creature Emperor Duskan had been and how glad they were that now he was dead, being extremely quiet about it of course.
Stream smiled as she decided that River would have loved them. As her thoughts drifted to her brother locked away in some forgotten cell to rot by some stinking vermin leader, she felt anger well up in her like a torrent of boiling water.  
It wasn't right that good, honest, brave, peaceful woodlanders should only live to serve some murdering scum. She paused as she considered that this must be how River felt all the time.
A raindrop landed on her snout, bringing her back to reality. It was only then that she realized that one of the molewives had spoken to her.
"Oh, I'm sorry. What was that you said?" Stream was apologetic.
"Hurr, I sed' missy, what is thy torking aboot." A smile crested the moles features. "Yoom were mumbling, sumat aboot murdering scom."
Stream blushed "Oh, I was just thinking." She said looking at the wet parade ground.
The molewive's smile grew bigger. "Hurr, then yoom curry on thinking hurr."    
Stream looked back up and smiled at the molewive. "I will."
Gilton stood near the gaping hole in the earth that Duskan's coffin was being slowly lowered into. Once his father's coffin touched down gently, Gilton took a step towards the elaborate marble headstone that waited to be placed over the grave. He laid his right paw on the marble where his father's name was carved and solemnly recited a vermin death poem, as was the tradition.

"So long to ye that gave me life
You are now on your way to paradise
I rule this kingdom  in your place
Your once hallowed name holds no grace
The ones who reside beneath the earth
For those above, they have no worth
You hold no special place in my heart
For I am a vermin in every part
My only calling to fight another day
I live to slaughter those who stand in my way
So farewell and may fortune go with ye
On your way to the Dark Gates of old
May ye enjoy a hard earned place in the Forest whose name is never told."

There was a subdued silence after Gilton had finished. He smiled. Now to put fear into the hearts of those who would dare to come against him.
He walked away from the headstone and towards a wooden platform which was constructed in front of where the woodlanders had been forced to stand.
He stepped onto it, rain dripping off his waterproof cloak. He cleared his throat noisily to bring silence to the assembled woodlanders.

"Today," he began "you lost your Emperor. You lost the one who came to this land and took you as his slaves. He was cruel and heartless to your fathers and mothers when they tried to rise up and over power him. They failed, only succeeding in making life for you, their children, even worse.
But now he is dead. Some of you say that my father was good, some say he was bad. But the truth of the matter is; he was weak.  My father was lenient when he saw that you were willing to work and be good. He stopped the young and old from working in the fields and mines. He stopped mothers working in the kitchens of his home when they had young children to care for. He let the ill and disabled do half the work of the healthy.
Well I'm not my father, and now all the kind things he did for you woodlanders will change. The young and old will once again work in the fields and mines. Mothers with young children to care for will once again work in the kitchens of what is now my home. The ill and disabled will once again do the same amount of work as the healthy. And the healthy will do twice the amount of work that they did before. But don't worry all you woodlanders, my vermin workers will also do twice the amount of work that they used to do. This is now the new law, anyone who argues with this law will be put in prison or in the stocks which are to be built. The more serious the offence, the more serious the punishment will be. These more serious punishments will range from public beatings to public executions. I hope none of you will be foolish enough to break any of my new laws because it will mean pain and misery for you and your families."  
When Gilton had finished speaking there was a stunned look on the faces of all present. Even the vermin look shocked. The rain which had been falling hard had almost stopped. Gilton turned to face a weasel one of his bodyguards who had come forward carrying the flag which had once hung on the flag pole of Jasmine Castle. It had a dragon with a sword in its throat embroidered onto it. This was Duskan's symbol. Gilton took the flag of the guard and threw it onto the platform before stepping off it. Another weasel guard came forward carrying a large pot. He poured its contents onto the flag. He then turned to face Gilton. Gilton nodded at the guard who then set fire to the flag. He had also set fire to the wooden platform and had to jump back.  The flag and the platform burned bright orange and yellow flames consuming them both.
Gilton smiled, the light from the flames flickering eerily over his face.  "A new era has begun!"

rachel25

Chapter 5
Fang shook his deformed head in mock pity. It was almost good that Gilton would be dead soon because if Fang didn't kill him now he was going to have an uprising on his paws. He couldn't just say what he would do to law breakers; he had to show these timid woodlanders the consequences here and now. Maybe with a demonstration, he could have slain one of the prisoners in front of the woodlanders after making his speech.
But anyway Fang didn't have to worry about the welfare of Gilton; no he was going to kill him tomorrow at his coronation.  It would be perfect. Fang could almost imagine himself cutting Gilton down in front of a huge crowd of important vermin and woodland slaves. He licked his lips in anticipation.
And then groaned as his stomach growled, he would have to find food soon if he was to have enough energy to kill Gilton and fight off any guards that came at him.  
He walked over to the door and peaked outside. The corridor was deserted. He tip-pawed out of the room and silently closed the door. Now where were the kitchens?
Fang wandered through the empty castle looking in wonder at the pictures hanging on the wall. That was until he came upon the portrait of Gilton. Fang forced himself not to rip it down and destroy it. He quickly continued on without any further delay. Fang was relieved when he found the kitchens and, seeing that they were empty, went inside. He knew he couldn't take too much; it might let somebeast know that a thief had passed through here. Fang's sharp eyes noticed a bag of cooking apples lying in one corner of the room. He sauntered over to it and picked up a few of the apples, not realizing what they were, only knowing that they looked tasty. He then sat down to eat his "borrowed" breakfast. He took a bite of one of the cooking apples quickly spiting it back out upon tasting its sourness. He then threw the rest of the apples back into the sack. Desperate to get rid of the sour taste he jumped up and looked for something to drink. He walked about the kitchen avoiding knocking into things. He spotted a bottle filled with a brownish liquid. He ripped the lid off and put the bottle to his lips and drank deeply. Spitting it straight back out when it tasted even sourer than the apple. His tongue burning he looked for something that resembled water, and there it was a bucket of water. Fang ran over to it and shoved his head into it.        
When he had drunk over half the water in the bucket he took his head out again, his stomach growling. Fang stood up and pick up a carrot that lay on the table next to him.
When he had finished munching on the vegetable Fang wandered back out of the kitchens quickly ducking back in as a squirrelmaid dressed in a grey shawl hurried past carrying a large blue cloak. Fang poked his head round the door just in time to see her walk in the direction that he had just come from. He then turned his head to look the other way. Where did that lead to?
Fang opened the door and stepped out into the passage, his curiosity aroused. Taking a few confident steps forward, Fang then froze. He could hear talking coming from around the corner. He continued more quietly now. As he approached Fang could hear the voices more clearly. One was female, the other male. Fang clenched his fists. The male voice was that of his brother.
"No, no! None of these are suitable for a coronation!"
"But Gilton, dear, you look fine in all of these and......."
"Fine!" Gilton shrieked. "I can't just look fine; I have to look amazing, and kinglike."
Fang poked his head round the corner to see Gilton stood in the middle of a huge room. It had a dark wooden floor with plenty of rugs and mats laid, all over the place. A large fire burned in a huge, intimidating, stone fireplace.    
Fang's urge to rush into the room and cut Gilton's head off right here and now was almost over powering. He forced himself to calm.
You can't just go killing him here. Fang thought to himself. I've got a plan, and must stick to it, now I must go back upstairs and hide.
Fang was just about to do this when he heard voices coming from behind him.
He was trapped.
Stream wiped the sweat that was forming on her brow away with a blistered and grubby paw.
Her back hurt from where an overseer had whipped her earlier. She knew now that picking a fight with a stoat that's twice your size is not a good idea.
After Gilton's speak yesterday, Stream had been depressed.  
How can he be so cruel? She had thought.  
When she had visited River this morning and told him the news he had started shouting. Which had attracted the attention of Grasel and Stream had had to leave early. River had then argued with Grasel over Stream having to leave, and Grasel had argued back.
Stream had left while they were fighting because she didn't want to be late for work. But she was late anyway and under the new rule two silver coins would be abducted from her pay. Stream had argued that she'd only been three minutes late, and that she needed that money to buy enough food for her and her brother. She also stated that when she bought the food the money would go back to the Emperor anyway. That was when she had got whipped.
And now here she was grinding flour at the mill. She worked in the mill anyway, but grinding was a punishment for disobedience.  And she hated it.
I get him back, somehow. She thought staring angrily at the stoat overseer.
Fang looked for somewhere to hide. But the corridor was empty apart from one window, and a large vase, which stood beside the window.
He then looked down at a pile of cloaks by his feet which were waiting to be taken and put away. He quickly snatched the one on the top and put it on. It had a hood which he pulled up over his head. He noticed that it was black on the outside but red on the inside. Double sided very nice; at least it was better than the one he had pinched last night.  
He turned to see who was coming and saw a burly rat making his way down the corridor. Upon seeing Fang he quickened his pace.
Fang was thankful that the hood hid his face, only his chin was visible. Fang then walked towards the rat not wanting to be too close to where Gilton was so that he could hear the exchange.  
"Oi, who are you and what are you doing here!" The rat sneered in Fang's face.
Fang thought he recognised the rat from somewhere. Now where had he seen him before...? Oh yeah that was it.  Fang remembered this rat from some seasons ago. The rat's name was Jiben, and he was one of the sons of the rat who had looked after Fang. He was young only about sixteen seasons old but he was cocky, arrogant, too confident in his own ability, and it showed.
Fang decided to teach him a lesson in respect that he wouldn't forget in a hurry. He pulled himself to his full height which was quite high, and looked in disgust at Jiben.
"How dare you talk to an officer of the Emperor in such a manner?"    
Jiben froze, fear spreading across his face.  "I, l, l... I... am.... most humbly sorry sir." He stammered.
Fang continued to look disdainfully at Jiben until Jiben began to squirm. Fang was enjoying the young rats discomfort so much that he would have happily stayed there for ages but then he heard Gilton's voice.
"Adily... Adily, where are you? Hurry up I'm waiting!"
Adily must be the squirrelmaid who was carrying the cloaks Fang thought to himself. He knew that he must find somewhere to hide, and fast Gilton or the squirrelmaid could appear at any moment.
"You may go." Fang said dismissively.
"Thank you, sir." Jiben said bowing slightly before walking into the large room where Gilton was.
Fang ran. He ran along the corridor, up the stairs, down the landing, and into Duskan's old room. He shut the door as quietly as he could and locked it. Fortunately some fool had had left the key in the door.
Fang slid to the floor, his back resting against the door. That had been close, too close; he would have to be more careful in the future. But then again Fang was going to kill Gilton tomorrow if everything went according to plan.
He looked out the window, it was about noon. There was a lot of time to go before tomorrow. He better start making up some sort of speech, for after he murdered Gilton. He could work on that now.