News:

"Beep-Bloop" -Matti, probably

Main Menu

Legend Of The Red Dawn - Prologue

Started by SandyB, January 08, 2014, 02:15:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SandyB

"My love is in here. Take it..." - Kenji's last words.

LEGEND OF THE RED DAWN

PROLOGUE

It was cold, very cold. The Jimanese autumn had come and gone, the air was thrumming with a biting frost and the light was fading. The softly dusted road bore two foxes - twins - with a younger reynard in tow - dragging a large, heavy log. The young fox would dart on ahead and frolic in the gently falling snow. "Come on you two!" The young dog fox called to his brothers. "It'll be spring thaw by the time we get home."
   "Well maybe if we had an extra set of paws, we could get this log back home before it gets dark," said one of the twins, grunting with exertion.
   "You two managed to drag it pretty far when I was riding it,"
   "Yes Amaru," said the second twin. "And if you were going to sing that stupid log song again, me and Hajime were going to bury you up to your neck in snow!"
   Amaru took in a deep breath and started to sing in an warbling, off-key tone

"Oooo, The log is long and came from a tree,
We chopped it down and cut the branches free,
Now we're draggin it home to feed our fire,
What a lovely feeling to warm by our pyre,
Then we..."

"SHUT UP!!!" Both reynard twins said in unison as they pulled harder on the log. Amaru pouted and then started scampering on ahead towards the large, walled house just beyond the trees. Hajime then nudged his twin brother, "Hear that Saske? Silence."
In gratitude for his service in repelling the Eshin invasion, Lord Sandokhan was given his own private estate by Shogun Fujokai. The large mansion house resided in a walled piece of land. Within was a large garden with it's own fish pond, filled with coy carp. Now frozen over by the harsh cold.
   The cherry blossom trees were bare, with their branches dusted in white snow. At the front door of the house, the scarred fox stood inhaling the biting cold air. He closed his eyes and remembered a place he had visited not so long ago. The high beamed rafters that thrummed with pleasant conversation. Then, the aromas of food being served in generous portions...
   "Hey Dad, think fast!"
   Wump!
   The fox felt the stinging cold ball impact on his muzzle. After dusting away the white flakes, he returned a mischievous smile at his second-eldest son Wataru. Sandokhan then walked out into the garden and grabbed a paw-ful of snow and then rolled it into a ball. "Let's see if you can take what you dish out, son." Sandokhan then sprinted out into the garden and threw his snowball at Wataru. His son dodged the snow ball and was bending over, scooping up snow to make more. As Sandokhan was rearming himself, he didn't notice his youngest daughter Keiko sneak up behind him and throw a snowball at the back of his head.
   Sandokhan turned around like a shot and then started chasing her around and round the garden. Keiko then tripped over her paws and fell into a small snow drift by the wall. Her father then pulled her from the cold. "Got you!" the fox exclaimed.
   The joyful scene was interrupted by the sound of paws knocking on the front gate. The fox then unbolted the door and was then greeted by his youngest son, "We're back Dad."
   The fox then opened the gate completely, allowing his twin sons and their burden inside the walls. He then called to his elder sons, "Tsuzuku, Wataru, help your brothers chop up this log and remember to use the hatchets, not your katanas." The old fox then walked back to his mansion's front door, where his wife Ritsuko was waiting with a cup of hot rice wine.
   Sandokhan greeted his wife with a smile and his paw touched hers as he reached for the steaming cup. The fox then sipped at the steaming cup before entering his house and sat in his chair in front of the fire.
One after another, all of Sandokhan's children came back in to the warmth from the bitter cold outside. His elder sons, Tsuzuku, Wataru and the twins - Hajime and Saske - entered carrying bundles of firewood under their paws.
   Meanwhile, Sandokhan's wife Ritsuko was busy in the kitchens with her elder daughters - Matsori, Megumi and Asuka - preparing a modest feast for their large family, whilst the youngest male Amaru was roughhousing with his little sister, Keiko, in front of the fire. Sandokhan sat in his chair and stared deeply into the dancing flames. A high pitched wail then rang throughout the house. The fox felt something clutch his leg tightly, "Waaahhhh! Daddy, Amuaru hit me in the head!!"
   The fox stroked his daughter's head and looked scornfully at his youngest son, whom was advancing towards Keiko whilst in an unarmed attacking stance. "The revenge of the tiger is a dish best served cold," said Amaru, trying his best to sound menacing. "If the tiger doesn't leave his little sister alone, we will see if revenge really is best served cold," said Sandokhan in a chastising tone. Amaru then started backing away slowly, still maintaining his ready stance.
   The sound of a gong then resonated around the room and a young voice calling, "Diiinneeeeeerrr!" The fox then rubbed his paws together in anticipation and he rose from his chair. Family dinners were nowhere near as appetising as a Redwall banquet, but just as satisfying.
After dinner was finished and all the bowls were cleaned and put away, all of Sandokhan's family gathered around the fire. A story was always needed to help pass a long winter's night. It was also traditional for the youngest to choose the tale.
   "Well, this is a familiar sight," said Sandokhan. "All of you gathered around me waiting to hear a good yarn. Since the youngest chooses... Keiko, what story do you want?"
   "I dunno," Keiko replied. The old fox shook his head, "If you don't choose Keiko, we will be very bored tonight." Amaru then stood up and started whispering suggestions in her ear, which she repeated, "I want... a story of great honour... and battles... and heroes." Sandokhan then smiled at her, "and what would you like?"
   "Erm... a true story," she finally said.
   An idea for what story to tell came to Sandokhan's mind. "Very well, you shall have both. A story of epic deeds, of betrayal, of warriors of light and armies of dark greed. A story that is also true, because my teacher's grandfather was there. It all began with the Emperors. They ruled Jima long before the shoguns. The Imperial Domain of Jima had never known threats from foreign lands. Even the Claws of Eshin never dreamed stand against the Sun Emperor. Of course there were the odd rabble of mindless sea rats, but nothing to threaten us completely. However, the greatest enemy anybeast faces is the enemy within."
The Sun Emperor Era of Jima is often reflected as an era of prosperity and happiness. With expanded trade routes and treaties with the Eshin Celestial Realm, Jima flourished and for a time, it was good. But it wasn't long before seeds of descent took root. The two most dominant samurai clans were both favoured equally. However, the differences also made them envious of each other. The Ninjinkai could field the most soldiers in battle, but the Nine Circles Clan were the richest and owned the largest gold mine in all of Mochizuki domain - the largest Jimanese island. The head of the Ninjinkai, the sable Funatzu, would often look upon the gold mine with envious eyes. He was the strongest in terms of arms, but when combined with almost inexhaustible wealth the Ninjinkai would be rulers of all Jima. The only thing in their way, the Emperor himself.
Problems in life are never resolved by distancing yourself from them. Escape is never the safest plan nor the safest place.

Blazemane

Aha! I thought I recognized Hajime and Amaru from commands Master Splinter likes to shout in Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. Yeah... I totally know Japanese.

*Is pitiful*

But, seriously, with the benefit of having looked up what those words mean, I think Amaru is a very fitting name for a kid brother who just won't stop...

I like him, though. The song you've written him singing actually makes him seem like he's got a lot of crazy energy for the fact that he invents it on the spot.

I really enjoy your description of Sandokhan's home, because all of the particular details really make the place seem real and full of character--it's a lot of fun to imagine it in the dimly-lit atmosphere you describe. I also like how it matches up with Redwall (Sandokhan's house sits on land surrounded by a wall, and his home has a pond with fish as well as cherry trees arranged into a garden), which suggests the possibility that either Sandokhan picked a mansion which reminded him of Redwall, or he had one built to imitate many of its features.

On that note, the silent moment where Sandokhan reflects on his time at the Abbey also paints a nice picture, too, with him standing out in the elements.

Great work!

Shadowed One

Yay! I am so glad you finally started this!
Martin the Warrior is way more epic than Mickey Mouse. Anyone who says otherwise is insane, or just wrong.

"I'm languishing in heroic obscurity!"-Doc

AbbotAlf0809

Whoopee!!!! I loved the first one and I can't wait for the actual story to start!!!

Captain Tammo

"Cowards die a thousand times, a warrior only dies once. The spirits of all you have slain are watching you, Vilu Daskar, and they will rest in peace now that your time has come. You must die as you have lived, a coward to the last!" -Luke the warrior

SandyB

Problems in life are never resolved by distancing yourself from them. Escape is never the safest plan nor the safest place.