News:

For some, the heat of summer nears its end. . . And for others, the blooms of spring appear.

Main Menu

Who wants redwall books by another author

Started by daskar666, June 28, 2011, 06:31:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Skalrag of Marshank

Yeah. I don't think anyone could replace Brian Jacques. I'm sad that he died, but he probably would've stopped the Redwall books sooner or later, for lack of ideas. Still, he did write a LOT of books.
"With great chocolate comes great responsibility."
  ~ Larry Boy

Firewall978

No, I would not like Redwall books by a different author. Due to the fact that Brian had a unique writing style and if someone continued his series, it would not be the same.

Criya

Actually, I think I heard somewhere that Brian has a son. Someone once told me that a "Ghost Author" wrote a chapter of The Sable Quean, and quite a few of the Rogue Crew.
Criya's never to be trusted. No matter HOW pursuasive she is.
"I'm going to be your friend and hug you, and love you, and- OH! Look! Your head!"

Troy Troodon

So what if I'm crazy? Atleast I admit my insanity.

DanielofRedwall

Quote from: Criya on November 13, 2011, 05:06:29 AM
Actually, I think I heard somewhere that Brian has a son.
He had two named Marc and David. Marc is a carpenter and bricklayer while David is a contemporary artist. I think they both voiced a few characters in the audiobooks.

One of the main arguments for a new author is that they'll be able to introduce different things, like good vermin. This goes against what Brian wished in his series. He says his "goodies are good and his baddies bad." So, good vermin won't work. Also:

Quote from: daskar666 on July 03, 2011, 10:29:56 PM
It WAS Jacques' series, but now he is dead...do you really want the series to die with him? Really?
I think, because it was his series, it wouldn't be respectable to continue the series and ruin his legacy. It seems fans often think from a selfish point of view, what THEY want, and not what Brian Jacques would have wanted. If he wanted the series to be continued, fine, I wouldn't be opposed to someone continuing it. But, if he didn't, it wouldn't be respectable to go against his will just to earn some more money and "please" the fans. Sure, it might please some fans, but others wouldn't like it. I would be one of those.

That said, expanding in to other parts of the franchise- merchandise, movies etc, I have no problem. Also, no worries with fanfiction. I just don't like the idea of someone continuing on with the actual story.
Received mostly negative reviews.

Tiria Wildlough

My tumblr! not-the-skycat.tumblr.com
I'm not a hipster.

Matthias Martin

i thinkt aht it wouldn't be right but at the same time. i think that it would be neat to make a trilogoly as the end of the series, with romance, war, riddles, songs, feasts ect. and then leave it open at the end so that you can iminage different stories that can branch off of it. but still give credit to Jacques.

Tiria Wildlough

Or they might put lots of romance in it. :o :o :o
I don't think someone will write them. If they do, there will probably be an uproar. Hopefully. ;)
I'm not a hipster.

Marlfox70

I've often thought about writing a fanfiction but I dunno how to go about distributing that, naturally I couldn't sell it that'd be like copywrite O,o though, I often wonder with how the titles of the books go, "a tale from Redwall" "A Novel from Redwall" ect. if he had kinda intended there to be fanfics and such with that note on the title.

I make up stories in my head when I have any kind of spare time, and I've come up with some rather good ones over the years, though my stories tend to not be so black and white about the bad guys being the various "vermin" species and the good guys being the "woodlander" species. They also have a bit more romance than we've seen in most of Redwall books O,o Not really something younger audiences would enjoy fighting for love I suppose but it's something I wanted to see in the books more.

Alas I likely couldn't capture the magic that the Redwall series has created over the years <3 I'll miss getting my Redwall fix o_o

Skipper

Quote from: DanielofRedwall on November 13, 2011, 06:39:34 AM
One of the main arguments for a new author is that they'll be able to introduce different things, like good vermin. This goes against what Brian wished in his series. He says his "goodies are good and his baddies bad." So, good vermin won't work. Also:

Quote from: daskar666 on July 03, 2011, 10:29:56 PM
It WAS Jacques' series, but now he is dead...do you really want the series to die with him? Really?
I think, because it was his series, it wouldn't be respectable to continue the series and ruin his legacy. It seems fans often think from a selfish point of view, what THEY want, and not what Brian Jacques would have wanted. If he wanted the series to be continued, fine, I wouldn't be opposed to someone continuing it. But, if he didn't, it wouldn't be respectable to go against his will just to earn some more money and "please" the fans. Sure, it might please some fans, but some wouldn't like it. I would be one of those.

i agree with you, i couldnt imagine anyone else doing these books, i enjoy people doing little storys about it and such but i wouldn' like it if someone continued the books as Bj never said he wanted anybody too

Rollo the Baby Bankvole

It just wouldn't be the same if another author started writing Redwall books, I don't think I'd like it and I think it could ruin the series, but that's just my opinion.
I've read Mattimeo, Salamandastron, The Pearls of Lutra, The Taggerung, Triss, Eulalia!, Lord Brocktree, The Legend of Luke, The Bellmaker & The Long Patrol! xD
??Just close your eyes, the sun is going down, you'll be alright, noone

Tiria Wildlough

I vowed never to read it if someone else writes them.
I'm not a hipster.

Dotti

A lot of other people have said the same thing, but I'll just echo: It wouldn't be Redwall without Mr. Jacques.  Quite honestly, I like the stories just the way they are.  Several people have said they'd like more romance....I disagree.  I adore Mr. Jacques' approach to romance in MTW.  Fanfics etc. are fine, but I personally don't read them because they're not REAL Redwall. 

Btw, I think I might have accidentally hit the "report to moderator" button on someones post on the second page.  SORRY!!!!! I am on a borrowed iPad, and I'm trying to keep my fingers from hitting the wrong stuff...it's not working well. :(
"Aha! Today I shall become an author, and I shall auth, and auth, and auth, and make a squillion dollars! Whoopee!!!"
~Brian Jacques

Tiria Wildlough

Hmm...point out the people who want more romance and I can flood them with romance fanfics.
Just kidding.
I'm not a hipster.

redwallgurl

well i think you know the fans who write would be intresting kinda showing what other people think of redwall and how they imagine it but it could be made with a lot of people giving more opinions and maybe more like mr Jacques work(adjectives, style of writing etc...)
Fun. is a fantastic band.