News:

For some, the heat of summer nears its end. . . And for others, the blooms of spring appear.

Main Menu

The Gloomer

Started by Log-a-Log, August 05, 2011, 10:08:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

White One6193

Twould seem to me, that since Gloomer is a water rat of unprecedented size, and since water rats are tropical beasties, perhaps he came from the same land as Ublaz and the Monitors?
"Ride for wrath, ride to ruin, and the world's ending!"- King Theoden

RIP Brian Jacques... ET NOMINE PATRI, ET FILLI, ET SPIRITUS SANCTI, AMEN!

Mit Gott, Fur Koenig, und Die Vadeirlandt!

Log-a-Log

That's an interesting idea
I know you can fight William, but its our wits that make us men. - Malcolm Wallace, from Braveheart

Janglur Swifteye

Quote from: James Gryphon on August 06, 2011, 04:22:32 AM
One thing to note about the Gloomer is that although he was certainly extremely dangerous, he is nevertheless still only the second most dangerous rat in the series: After all, Cluny's greatest physical feat was killing a pike, whereas Gloomer is overpowered and drowned by the pike Stormfin.

What about Raga Bol? He nearly Killed 2 badgers! He killed Lonna's old mentor, and nearly killed Lonna too!

James Gryphon

Well, if we're going by badger-killing, I might note that Gabool had Rawnblade Widestripe, another massive Badger Lord, dead to rights not just once, but twice -- he stabbed the badger in the chest with a dagger, and was only foiled by thick armor... and then was on the verge of killing him with the scorpion, so that Martin had to make a supernatural appearance to bail Widestripe out.

However, while I do rank Gabool very high, I still wouldn't rank him as high as Cluny, and the same goes for Raga Bol -- though I wouldn't rank him as high as Gabool either. It's been years since I've read Loamhedge, so I might be biased here, but I doubt my ranking would change much. As far as sentient rats go, right now my top three are Cluny, Gabool, and Damug Warfang.
« Subject to editing »

Tiria Wildlough

Quote from: Janglur Swifteye on August 20, 2011, 03:54:47 AM

Quote from: James Gryphon on August 06, 2011, 04:22:32 AM
One thing to note about the Gloomer is that although he was certainly extremely dangerous, he is nevertheless still only the second most dangerous rat in the series: After all, Cluny's greatest physical feat was killing a pike, whereas Gloomer is overpowered and drowned by the pike Stormfin.

What about Raga Bol? He nearly Killed 2 badgers! He killed Lonna's old mentor, and nearly killed Lonna too!
Lonna's mentor would not have been very hard to kill. He was old, after all.
Lonna himself would have been harder to kill. He was a full grown, giant, badger. But I personally don't think much of Raga Bol. He was never in battle, and all he ever did was sit around brooding about the badger that constantly haunted him. Anyway, I haven't read Loamhedge for a while.
My tumblr! not-the-skycat.tumblr.com
I'm not a hipster.

Taggerung The Otter

Quote from: Nightfire on August 06, 2011, 02:59:15 AM
Well, it actually does say that he's a water rat, but is blind and furless from being underground in a lake for so long. My theory is that so many seasons spent in the dark turned him from a semi-intelligent vermin to a mindless monster.

yes 'ut rember... tha old wildcat that dided captured et 'afore and et was a monster
For GOD so loved the world he gave his only begotton SON so that whoever belived in him would not parish but live eternal life.

Oh yeah...buitiful verse... :D

Eulalia

Thinking about it i would put lonna pretty high in the most dangerous since he has his bow and can youse that also in close cambat.
You never know what hit you till it does.

Superdreuzel

I saw him as a rat that was about double the size of a normal rat, gleeming white eyes, fur falling off, water and slime dripping from his beak
Hmm ... Dolohov ...

eualaia

wolves will slay whoever they want to.....*growl* "AGHH''

Melody

gloomer is creepingly awsome!

mattimouse20

the Gloomer, was a very interesting character. it seemed that he wasn't really a hero or a villain in "Mossflower", but of one of many of the traps martin, his friends, or any other creatures in the story should have avoided.
just wait until I make my daring escape!

Blademaster

The Gloomer was in my top five favorite characters in the series. The battle betwean him and the Stormfin was plain epic and I wish he won. (But if wishes were fishes there'd no room left in the river for water.) And he made for an Awsome book report. :P
Cluny-"Shut up!" Cheesethief-"Shutting up chief."

Jetthebinturong

"In the meantime, no one should roam the camp alone. Use the buddy system."
"Understood." Will looked at Nico. "Will you be my buddy?"
"You're a dork," Nico announced.
~ The Hidden Oracle, Rick Riordan

Dannflower Reguba

Quote from: Blademaster on January 07, 2012, 02:13:27 AM
The Gloomer was in my top five favorite characters in the series. The battle betwean him and the Stormfin was plain epic and I wish he won. (But if wishes were fishes there'd no room left in the river for water.) And he made for an Awsome book report. :P

*Shudder* Boy am I glad Stormfin won!... Really, in all honesty, do you think a Rat could defeat a hungry Pike?
"Remember, sometimes is best to be like boomerang and come back." ~ Griffen

Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes. ~ Oscar Wilde

Mistakes can make you grow - That doesn't mean you're friends. ~NF - Remember This

AxeHound

Quote from: Superdreuzel on December 30, 2011, 09:56:04 PM
I saw him as a rat that was about double the size of a normal rat, gleeming white eyes, fur falling off, water and slime dripping from his beak

Beak????

I think Gloomer's a cool villain. Not as cool as Cluny the Scourge, but cool.

(please do not send me the pm game messages)