News:

For some, the heat of summer nears its end. . . And for others, the blooms of spring appear.

Main Menu

Crazy Facts and Myths Debunked

Started by Skyblade, February 07, 2015, 01:53:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Skyblade

There are quite a few common misconceptions in the world. Which ones do you know that may blow our minds? :D (Please keep out of provocative subjects such as religion)

Bulls aren't angered by the color red - they're color blind. It's the movement of the cape that provokes them.

The Great Wall of China is actually not visible from space.

Thanks, MatthiasMan, for the avatar!

Izeroth

Betsy Ross probably didn't make the first American flag. There is no historical evidence, and the story first surfaced in 1870-- decades after her death.

Jetthebinturong

This is not Rosie the Riveter, it is a completely unrelated design that was used because there was no copyright on it.
This is Rosie the Riveter:
"In the meantime, no one should roam the camp alone. Use the buddy system."
"Understood." Will looked at Nico. "Will you be my buddy?"
"You're a dork," Nico announced.
~ The Hidden Oracle, Rick Riordan

Blaggut

Napoleon wasn't abnormally short; he was calculated in French inches, which are different. Also, he liked to be surrounded by EXTREMELY tall soldiers.
~Just a soft space boi~

LT Sandpaw

Many people think flying is hard and dangerous. In reality it is incredibly safe and is even easier then driving a car.

"Sometimes its not about winning, but how you lose." - John Gwynne

"Facts don't care about your feelings." -Ben Shapiro

Hickory

Ghosts aren't real ;D

Abraham Lincoln had a thin, reedy voice and didn't like publicity. (I think)
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

The Mask

Quote from: Sagetip, the hare on February 09, 2015, 09:11:23 PM
Ghosts aren't real ;D

The first one is debatable.
I am a squirrel, an otter, a mouse, a fox, a stoat, a ferret, a weasel, a wildcat, a hare, a hedgehog, a badger; I am the master of disguises, The Mask.

" I will burn the heart out of you." Moriarty, Sherlock

MeadowR

Cool thread idea! :) I find a lot of these kinds of 'mythbusters' about, so hopefully I will actually remember some and add them in in time.

Joan of Arc actually irritated the French king of the time, after her initial popularity and visions. It got to the stage of the French actually initiating the death of Joan, rather than it being solely what the English did.
~*Meadow*~

Season Namer 2014

Cornflower MM

Quote from: The Mask on February 10, 2015, 05:51:33 AM
Ghosts aren't real ;D

The first one is debatable.

Most definitely - Who's up for a debate by PM? *Glares at everyone*

Bananas DON'T grow on trees. Although we all call it a "banana tree" the stem doesn't contain true woody tissue. In reality it is a herbaceous plant, or "herb."

Izeroth

Ostriches don't bury their heads in the ground. Birds are smarter than most people give them credit for.  :P

The Mask

We don't ride kangaroos in Australia. To be fair, we do have a few wallabies(Smaller type of kangaroo) who come itno the school but that's only because we have a bushy hill inside the school property.
I am a squirrel, an otter, a mouse, a fox, a stoat, a ferret, a weasel, a wildcat, a hare, a hedgehog, a badger; I am the master of disguises, The Mask.

" I will burn the heart out of you." Moriarty, Sherlock

Eulaliaaa!

Crows are actual very intelligent (don't know if you knew that). They're smarter than most people think, so are ferrets.
Just pretend there is something interesting and unique written here... I have nothing to say.

Blaggut

Why don't we make this the crazy fact and myth debunking thread?

I have some good civil war things that will interest thy sammich.
~Just a soft space boi~

Lady Ashenwyte

Ghosts aren't real ;D

I think a PM debate will help us.  >:(

Ninja were often more honourable than samurai, contrary to popular belief.
The fastest way to a man's heart- Or anyone's, in fact- Is to tear a hole through their chest.

Indeed. You are as ancient as the soot that choked Pompeii into oblivion, though not quite as uncaring. - Rusvul

Just a butterfly struggling through my chrysalis.

Banya

There isn't actually a language called 'Arabic.'  We just simplify the Arabic languages by calling them by the same name.  There are many dialects of Arabic (Maghrebi Arabic of North Africa; Fus'ha Arabic of Egypt; Shaami Arabic of the Levant; and Peninsular Arabic, made up of regional dialects like Omani, Yemeni, Saudi, etc.).  Each dialect is as different as the Romance languages.  The roots are in Classical Arabic, but the dialects of Arabic are as different as different languages.  There is also Modern Standard Arabic, or Formal Arabic, which is most commonly written but only spoken in an academic setting.  Street signs are in Formal; local conversation is in Dialect.  So if you learn 'Arabic,' you will learn both Formal and Dialect.  Two languages and a new alphabet in one class; it's not easy.  (But the alphabet it awesome; it's like a code no one else can read).  I speak conversational Fus'ha, or Egyptian Dialect, as well as conversational Formal.