News:

For some, the heat of summer nears its end. . . And for others, the blooms of spring appear.

Main Menu

How to pronounce words in Mossflower country.

Started by Redwall Musician, September 22, 2011, 02:48:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Redwall Musician

I was wondering if there was a website or something that gave the pronunciations of the places and names in Redwall. I do not know if Redwall Wiki has this (I didn't see anything like this when I checked there). Some word like:
Mossflower
Mattimeo
Salamandostron

I have learned pronounce. But other places and names I can't. If you know of a site that covers this, please let me know.
..."Where courage hides within the shawdows, patience within the storms, friendship in around every corner, and inspiration just outside your window."

Dotti

That's a really good question.  Some of the names (like Brocktree, Dotti, Auma, etc) are pretty much un-mispronounceable, but others (for instance, Ferahgo the Assassin;  I say it Fer-AH-go, but do others say it FAIR-a-go?) are prone to quite a lot of different pronunciations.  It would be really helpful if there were such a website, or if a group of fans could compile one.  I've had a few of my pronunciations corrected by watching the movies, but other than that, all I have to go on is the way my Dad pronouces it.  :-\
"Aha! Today I shall become an author, and I shall auth, and auth, and auth, and make a squillion dollars! Whoopee!!!"
~Brian Jacques

Tiria Wildlough

I am not sure how you pronounce Salamandastron. I pronounce it Sa-la-MANDA-stron, but on Snowfur's Redwall Encyclopedia, it says to pronounce it Sala-mand-ASTRON. I'm confused. ???
I pronounce Mattimeo like this: Mat-i-MAY-o. ;)
My tumblr! not-the-skycat.tumblr.com
I'm not a hipster.

Lily

I think it's pronounced Sala-man-DAS-tron in the audio books. I could never figure out how to pronounce that one either, I pronounced it like you, Tiria. That's how I pronounce Mattimeo, too.

I've never seen any site with a pronunciation guide, so I think we should make our own list. :D

Tiria Wildlough

YEAH! WE SHOULD! Just let me know, and I'll help. ;D
My tumblr! not-the-skycat.tumblr.com
I'm not a hipster.

DanielofRedwall

How do you pronounce Kotir?

Mossflower is pronounced as it looks, just moss and flower put together.
Received mostly negative reviews.

Lily

I would pronounce it Ko-teer.

Now I'm wondering if I pronounce everything the same way as everyone else!

Redwall Musician

I pronounce Kotir like this: k-OR-ter

Quote from: Lily on September 22, 2011, 07:00:46 AM
I've never seen any site with a pronunciation guide, so I think we should make our own list. :D
I think I'm going to make a pronunciation guide for the first Redwall book. If or when I finish it I'll post it and we can decide if it is right. Then we can move on to the next book and so forth. Does that sound okay?
..."Where courage hides within the shawdows, patience within the storms, friendship in around every corner, and inspiration just outside your window."

Coobreedan

I won't be on this forum much anymore, but I'll pop in to say hi every now and then.

Folgrimeo

Salamandastron I pronounce as sal-lah-MAN-dah-stron.  Ferahgo as fir-RAH-go. And Kotir as KO-teer.

But I didn't know how to say Mattimeo until hearing it in the TV series (previously I said ma-TEE-mee-oh, but now I say it as ma-tih-MAY-oh. That also told me how to pronounce my own screenname). Same with Matthias. I used to say MAT-thee-is because I had never seen that name before, but it's actually mah-THY-is. And because I'm American, I said Basil as BAY-zil, but a Dibbun note set straight that it's BA-zil. Similarly, I used to say Bosie as BAH-zee, until a joke later on that indicated it's pronounced BOH-zee.

For anything else, I guess refer to how the audiobooks say it, but I have never listened to any Redwall audiobook. Given how ignorant I am of French pronunciation, I still say Beauclaire as BOO-claire though it's probably BOH-claire.

Redwall Musician

Quote from: Tiria Wildlough on September 22, 2011, 06:40:33 AM
I am not sure how you pronounce Salamandastron. I pronounce it Sa-la-MANDA-stron, but on Snowfur's Redwall Encyclopedia, it says to pronounce it Sala-mand-ASTRON. I'm confused. ???
Does Snowfur have pronunciation on her Encyclopedia?
*goes to check Snowfur's site*

Log-a-Log

I know you can fight William, but its our wits that make us men. - Malcolm Wallace, from Braveheart

Skalrag of Marshank

"With great chocolate comes great responsibility."
  ~ Larry Boy

Redwall Musician

Lutra

I usually will pronounce items based on however they have been said on the audiobooks or the tv series.  Kotir was always KO-Teer for me.  Matthias I probably used to think of it as MATT-eye-as, partially because I wasn't very familiar with the name.  Basil I always knew how to pronounce because I watched the Great Mouse Detective and they pronounced it as the English would.  ;)
Ya Ottah! ~ Sierra