News:

We're doing a read-along of the Redwall series! The current book is The Sable Quean!

Main Menu

Second Amendment

Started by GATXSD40-2, March 09, 2016, 05:26:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Banya

Really?  I only ever enter debate topics to point out fallacies or suggest ways to refine arguments, sometimes toss in my own opinion, and leave.  I don't mind watching/listening to debates, but I don't like taking part in them.

Wylder Treejumper

I appreciate debate more as a mental exercise than anything else. It forces me to evaluate my views and think carefully about what I believe- and why. It is an important part of being an educated citizen, I think. If no one ever challenges your beliefs, you are more inclined to simply lean blindly on them.
"'Tis the business of small minds to shrink, but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death."
-Thomas Paine

"Integrity and firmness is all I can promise; these, be the voyage long or short, shall never forsake me although I may be deserted by all men."
-George Washington

Courage: Not only the willingness to die manfully, but also the determination to live decently.

Tam and Martin

I agree ^^^

Good practice here for when anyone might ask me in person.

If you wanna chat, PM me :) I'd love to talk with any of you!

Instagram: aaron.stott2000
SC: ayayron2000

The Skarzs

I can take debating or leave it. :P A lot of times debates turn into more of a vocal war instead of a discussion of points.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Cornflower MM

Quote from: Wylder Treejumper on March 10, 2016, 03:53:16 PM
@Corn: Who doesn't like a bit of debate? It may sometimes get a bit contentious, but it's all in good fun. More importantly, debate helps us become more educated on both our views and the views of others. While debate won't likely cause anyone to change their position, it will make them think harder about it.

@Wylder Treejumper: Oh I'll debate alright, I'm happy to. On the other hand, I most decidedly do not like debating things like this, as they easily turn out to be arguments, and also because I don't have much of an opinion. It's not my decision, I very highly doubt that I would realistically be able to change any of those laws. And if I could, I'm not sure I'd want the responsibility.

Quote from: Skarzs on March 10, 2016, 10:35:51 PM
I can take debating or leave it. :P A lot of times debates turn into more of a vocal war instead of a discussion of points.

Exactly.

LT Sandpaw

I highly doubt the second amendment will be changed, and you probably don't have to worry about the police barging into your homes and trying to take your weapons. Mostly because the police are US citizens as well, and they have the same concerns.

BTW I like how you guys are debating about debates. It's kinda ironic.

"Sometimes its not about winning, but how you lose." - John Gwynne

"Facts don't care about your feelings." -Ben Shapiro

Søren

I'm retired from the forum

The Skarzs

Post that on some presidential candidate's site. xD
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Hickory

More like my Social Studies teacher's office. :P
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

SilentSam

(Sorry to Bump, but I needed to reply)

Warning: These are my Opinions

I honestly think that the most important thing we can do is ban (civilian use of) assault weapons. Yes, I know that it won't stop all people from getting them and doing bad things with them, but in most, not all, but most of these shootings, the shooter bought the guns legally. The shootings where the shooter had an assault rifle, were often more deadly. Take Orlando, the shooter bought the assault rifle and the handgun legally, (even though he was previously investigated by the FBI, but that's not a issue I'll discuss now) and killed 49 people. Also, assault rifles aren't very useful for hunting (unless you want to shoot every deer in the forest, or another hunter). Assault rifles for defense could easily hurt a bystander, and I'm not even saying that there should be a ban on all guns, just a ban on assault rifles and effective gun control measures.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2015/10/03/us/how-mass-shooters-got-their-guns.html
;D~~~~Silent~~~~Sam~~~~Squirrel~~~ ;D
HEHE!

I AM SAM ;D
Cicha sam jest najlepszym redwall znaków!

The Skarzs

If you are referring to automatic rifles as assault rifles, most people can't get them legally, unless they are in the military or are a gunsmith. If you are referring to semi-automatic rifles, a double-action (semi-automatic) pistol is no less dangerous.

Once again, the problem with banning something is that the good, law-abiding citizens will obey proper authority, but the ones who are lawbreakers will be more intent upon getting the thing that is banned. It happened with alcohol in 1920, it can happen with guns.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

James Gryphon

Whether for good or bad, banning or significantly restricting guns is a no-go in the United States. There's too many weapons out there in the country now, and a massive segment of the population devoted to owning them. We would have to have a shooting on the scale of Orlando every day before I think a decisive majority of the population would change their minds.

I wouldn't be hopeful that it would restrict the kind of violence we've seen at Orlando or Sandy Hook that much, though. It's my suspicion that the mass shootings would simply turn into mass bombings.
« Subject to editing »

Jetthebinturong

The Orlando shooter acquired his gun through legal means; you can't acquire a bomb through legal means.
"In the meantime, no one should roam the camp alone. Use the buddy system."
"Understood." Will looked at Nico. "Will you be my buddy?"
"You're a dork," Nico announced.
~ The Hidden Oracle, Rick Riordan

James Gryphon

The ingredients to develop simple bombs can be acquired from household or farm supplies. From what I heard, the Orlando shooter actually had a bomb vest, it simply didn't go off. Good luck trying to ban or restrict everything that could be used to make explosives.
« Subject to editing »

Jetthebinturong

Gun control would never work in America; the population is too attached to its guns for any gun control laws to ever be successful. I'm all for gun control in places where it makes sense, in America it won't do anything.
"In the meantime, no one should roam the camp alone. Use the buddy system."
"Understood." Will looked at Nico. "Will you be my buddy?"
"You're a dork," Nico announced.
~ The Hidden Oracle, Rick Riordan