News:

For some, the heat of summer nears its end. . . And for others, the blooms of spring appear.

Main Menu

Fanfiction.net

Started by Nightfire, October 03, 2011, 07:01:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blazemane

Quote from: Tam and Martin on May 31, 2013, 11:15:51 PM
I'm not that ggod at writing  :-[

That never stopped me!  :)

No, but seriously; I can empathize with the feeling. I have always felt myself (and I suspect my feelings on the matter are pretty much the truth) to be bad at drawing/painting/the visual arts in general. And, no, I don't usually share my attempts with the world. And there's no reason I should have to, I say.

But there are a few things to consider. One is that skill in any kind of art (like writing) increases with "practice" (writing fanfiction for fun is absolutely practice). I haven't moved beyond myself in the visual arts department because I very rarely find myself trying to draw. It just doesn't appeal to me that much. In your case with writing, though, I'm... kindof getting the feeling that you enjoy doing it? If you do, then that's basically what matters. I'm going to be a hypocrite, because I compare my writing with the work of better writers all the time and usually feel all the worse for it, but the actual enjoying of the process of writing ought to come from the story that you are creating. You might also get some enjoyment from the moments where you notice yourself improving, too, but I think for many writers, the main source of their passion comes from embracing their imagination--taking something inside their head and putting it outside their head.

I feel like I'm rambling because I'm trying to say two things at once. But, basically, 1.) Whatever your level of skill with writing may be right now, it isn't "your level" in the fullest sense. Writing gets better. 2.) The fact that, as of this moment, you might not be where you want to be, doesn't have to take away from your enjoyment of writing. I feel like the point of writing isn't skill, but imagination. ((EDIT: Well... Skill does help you get your imagination across, of course. But many readers aren't put off so much by writing which isn't as polished as the work of highly experienced authors--what tends to get to people is when an author hasn't really tried to write with whatever skill and knowledge they have. It might be hard to tell the difference between dedicated writing and a lack of effort from time to time, but I think the indication of an author's level of effort often comes across in the attitude of their author's notes before and after their prose...))

But then... yeah. There's the part about putting your written imagination out where the rest of the world can see it--this is where people like me end up wishing we were as good as this person or that one at expressing ourselves. And again, I think I have two things to say.

1.) It is a risk, but a very small one. There are habitually mean-spirited people, and there are people who make occasional mean-spirited slipups. I don't know if you fear them, but I suppose flames are always technically a possibility. But I've never understood the point of flaming. It feels to me like it's based on the assumption that every writer who ever puts work online is claiming they are the best, and that their story is the best, so that it becomes the insulters' responsibility to "curb the writer's arrogance" as it were. Or, even worse, the flamers are unconsciously assuming that all work is written for their benefit, so that when they come across something they don't like, they get... offended, almost. I don't know. And even if the offense is a bit more legitimate--if it comes from an apparent lack of effort on the part of the writer--I don't see how angry ranting fixes the situation. I feel like flamers have no basis for what they do, so to me, their insults just comes across as a certain kind of empty, pointless. Still, I would understand perfectly if you ever felt hurt by a rude comment on your work.

2.) A huge part of the increase in one's skill in writing comes from hearing back from the constructively-minded people.

3.) O.k. I was wrong. I have a third thing to say! Just as there is risk, there is also opportunity. Fan writers generally do put their work up in hopes that someone will come along and really like what they have. That's part of the reason writers want to share their imagination--to see if other people can embrace it, too. And even if you think you're not that good writing, you will absolutely either come across an equal amount or a greater amount of people who will embrace your story when it's available for them to see rather than when you keep it to yourself. You might, I am sorry to say, not find anyone who enjoys this story or that one or that one. But if you keep that story to yourself, you won't find anyone who enjoys this or that or that. If you enjoy writing, you may as well give it a go!

Buzz_Bumble

I'm not that ggod at writing  :-[

Neither are 90% of the other people on there.  ;)

Tam and Martin

Quote from: Blazemane on June 01, 2013, 12:34:29 AM

That never stopped me!  :)

No, but seriously; I can empathize with the feeling. I have always felt myself (and I suspect my feelings on the matter are pretty much the truth) to be bad at drawing/painting/the visual arts in general. And, no, I don't usually share my attempts with the world. And there's no reason I should have to, I say.

But there are a few things to consider. One is that skill in any kind of art (like writing) increases with "practice" (writing fanfiction for fun is absolutely practice). I haven't moved beyond myself in the visual arts department because I very rarely find myself trying to draw. It just doesn't appeal to me that much. In your case with writing, though, I'm... kindof getting the feeling that you enjoy doing it? If you do, then that's basically what matters. I'm going to be a hypocrite, because I compare my writing with the work of better writers all the time and usually feel all the worse for it, but the actual enjoying of the process of writing ought to come from the story that you are creating. You might also get some enjoyment from the moments where you notice yourself improving, too, but I think for many writers, the main source of their passion comes from embracing their imagination--taking something inside their head and putting it outside their head.

I feel like I'm rambling because I'm trying to say two things at once. But, basically, 1.) Whatever your level of skill with writing may be right now, it isn't "your level" in the fullest sense. Writing gets better. 2.) The fact that, as of this moment, you might not be where you want to be, doesn't have to take away from your enjoyment of writing. I feel like the point of writing isn't skill, but imagination. ((EDIT: Well... Skill does help you get your imagination across, of course. But many readers aren't put off so much by writing which isn't as polished as the work of highly experienced authors--what tends to get to people is when an author hasn't really tried to write with whatever skill and knowledge they have. It might be hard to tell the difference between dedicated writing and a lack of effort from time to time, but I think the indication of an author's level of effort often comes across in the attitude of their author's notes before and after their prose...))

But then... yeah. There's the part about putting your written imagination out where the rest of the world can see it--this is where people like me end up wishing we were as good as this person or that one at expressing ourselves. And again, I think I have two things to say.

1.) It is a risk, but a very small one. There are habitually mean-spirited people, and there are people who make occasional mean-spirited slipups. I don't know if you fear them, but I suppose flames are always technically a possibility. But I've never understood the point of flaming. It feels to me like it's based on the assumption that every writer who ever puts work online is claiming they are the best, and that their story is the best, so that it becomes the insulters' responsibility to "curb the writer's arrogance" as it were. Or, even worse, the flamers are unconsciously assuming that all work is written for their benefit, so that when they come across something they don't like, they get... offended, almost. I don't know. And even if the offense is a bit more legitimate--if it comes from an apparent lack of effort on the part of the writer--I don't see how angry ranting fixes the situation. I feel like flamers have no basis for what they do, so to me, their insults just comes across as a certain kind of empty, pointless. Still, I would understand perfectly if you ever felt hurt by a rude comment on your work.

2.) A huge part of the increase in one's skill in writing comes from hearing back from the constructively-minded people.

3.) O.k. I was wrong. I have a third thing to say! Just as there is risk, there is also opportunity. Fan writers generally do put their work up in hopes that someone will come along and really like what they have. That's part of the reason writers want to share their imagination--to see if other people can embrace it, too. And even if you think you're not that good writing, you will absolutely either come across an equal amount or a greater amount of people who will embrace your story when it's available for them to see rather than when you keep it to yourself. You might, I am sorry to say, not find anyone who enjoys this story or that one or that one. But if you keep that story to yourself, you won't find anyone who enjoys this or that or that. If you enjoy writing, you may as well give it a go!
Quote from: Buzz_Bumble on June 01, 2013, 01:27:17 AM

Thank you both of you! I will consider ome of those things you said. I find I get better as I go along with the story and the more I write I get better. Thanks!
    -Tam

If you wanna chat, PM me :) I'd love to talk with any of you!

Instagram: aaron.stott2000
SC: ayayron2000

Maudie

"And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent." John 17:3

Rainshadow

Quote from: Buzz_Bumble on June 01, 2013, 01:27:17 AM

It took me a moment to get that.  I was just kinda skimming before going back to Blaze's post, so I didn't really notice it until I was finished.  Then I was like:  "Oh, ha!  Hahaha!  How did I miss that?!"  :P
If you're interested in my art or keeping in touch, I'm active on DeviantArt and Instagram!

Buzz_Bumble

FanFiction.net used to be quite a good place, but unfortunately now there's lots of complete rubbish and unfinished stories on there, so it makes it difficult to find the real stories.  :(

Free Thought

It's going through a bit of a revival.  There are a 'pawful' of us writing current Redwall fanfiction and a lot of them actually quite good stories. 

The only way it will get larger again is if more people get on it and read the works.  And most importantly review them.  An author feeling like they are writing for nobody is not very inspired to continue the story...

Buzz_Bumble

Sorry, I meant FanFiction.net as a whole, not just the Redwall stories.  :)

rachel25

Quote from: Free Thought on June 03, 2013, 04:57:00 AM
It's going through a bit of a revival.  There are a 'pawful' of us writing current Redwall fanfiction and a lot of them actually quite good stories. 

The only way it will get larger again is if more people get on it and read the works.  And most importantly review them.  An author feeling like they are writing for nobody is not very inspired to continue the story...
yeah my sister is a member and has been for a while she loves it when she gets a review she writes for the Les Miserable fanfiction. I've just joined my user name is Running Colours and I've posted a one shot but I am going to post one of my on going fic's soon  :)

Tiria Wildlough

I'm still a member! I mostly write for Warriors, but I will try to write a Redwall fic at some point. :)
My tumblr! not-the-skycat.tumblr.com
I'm not a hipster.

Rainshadow

What's your pen name again, Tiria?  I wouldn't mind reading some of your fics.  ;)
If you're interested in my art or keeping in touch, I'm active on DeviantArt and Instagram!

Tiria Wildlough

I'm Contrary To Popular Belief. I only have one story going at the moment, but that will probably change. :)
I'm not a hipster.

Leatho Shellhound

I've read a few fanfics on their, but there aren't any good ones about the book High Rhulain.
    Take a look at our Abbey's Art Gallery

click the banner

Tiria Wildlough

Quote from: Leatho Shellhound on August 30, 2013, 02:19:19 AM
I've read a few fanfics on their, but there aren't any good ones about the book High Rhulain.
I know, right? >:(
I'm not a hipster.

Dawnwing

There's some decent stuff on there, though.  I haven't read any Redwall fics on there, but I've found some good stuff.  The best is undoubtedly "Blue Sky", a Portal 2 fanfic.  Very spectacular - for a game that has so few characters, with the protagonist not speaking at all, he nailed their personalities perfectly.  It's as long as an actual book, too.  Some fans are working on a project to turn it into a free audiobook online.