News:

For some, the heat of summer nears its end. . . And for others, the blooms of spring appear.

Main Menu

Stupid Questions

Started by Mad Maudie, December 21, 2011, 07:20:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WarriorOfMossflower

Quote from: Ungatt Trunn on June 11, 2012, 06:39:15 PM
Are Wearets (Like the one in Mattimeo and The Rogue Crew) real creatures?
No, they're just something that Brian Jacques' wonderful imagination thought up.
And I believe it's Wearat (with an a)
In process of rekindling my love for Redwall.

Tiria Wildlough

A wearet is a weasel/ferret. A wearat is a weasel/rat.
And I googled both of them. They're not real. :P
My tumblr! not-the-skycat.tumblr.com
I'm not a hipster.

Dannflower Reguba

Quote from: Flandor on June 12, 2012, 06:25:14 AM
My general thoughts on size are that squirrels, stoats, weasels and rats are about six feet tall.  Otters, hares, foxes and ferrets are about seven.  Badgers are around eight-ten feet tall depending on gender and age.  Wildcats would be about eight and quite strong.  Mice clock in around five feet, with voles.  Hedgehogs are also around five feet but much sturdier in build.  Moles are four feet and sturdy, shrews are four feet and a little more wiry.  That's always been how my brain sorted it out.  I don't like them all being 'realistically' sized, because how would they use the same swords or even live in the same Abbey? How could Martin kill Tsarmina if it was actually the real life sizes?

I beg to differ with you on the hedgehogs part, in the pictures (not saying they are the most accurate) hedgehogs were often some of the tallest, along with otters. I get all my sizing from the pictures.
"Remember, sometimes is best to be like boomerang and come back." ~ Griffen

Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes. ~ Oscar Wilde

Mistakes can make you grow - That doesn't mean you're friends. ~NF - Remember This

Flandor

Quote from: danflorreguba on June 12, 2012, 07:49:08 PM
My general thoughts on size are that squirrels, stoats, weasels and rats are about six feet tall.  Otters, hares, foxes and ferrets are about seven.  Badgers are around eight-ten feet tall depending on gender and age.  Wildcats would be about eight and quite strong.  Mice clock in around five feet, with voles.  Hedgehogs are also around five feet but much sturdier in build.  Moles are four feet and sturdy, shrews are four feet and a little more wiry.  That's always been how my brain sorted it out.  I don't like them all being 'realistically' sized, because how would they use the same swords or even live in the same Abbey? How could Martin kill Tsarmina if it was actually the real life sizes?

I beg to differ with you on the hedgehogs part, in the pictures (not saying they are the most accurate) hedgehogs were often some of the tallest, along with otters. I get all my sizing from the pictures.

That is very true.  Hedgehogs aren't all that big in real life but in Redwall I suppose they are usually quite big and strong. 
"Each of us is born to follow a star, be it bright and shining or dark and fated."
-Rillbrook the Wanderer, son of Rillbrook the Wanderer, Grandson of Rillbrook the Wanderer

Dannflower Reguba

Quote from: Flandor on June 12, 2012, 08:05:10 PM
Quote from: danflorreguba on June 12, 2012, 07:49:08 PM

That is very true.  Hedgehogs aren't all that big in real life but in Redwall I suppose they are usually quite big and strong. 
If you think about real life though, mice are alot smaller than hedgehogs, and not that much smaller than otters either.

Mistakes can make you grow - That doesn't mean you're friends. ~NF - Remember This

Skyblade

Right, I wondered about that too. Mossflower Country is a fantasy world, so I guess  the animals don't have to have the same size-ratios as in real life.

Another of my numerous questions...where did Sanit Ninian's Church come from? And i thought the animals don't have any religion...

P.S.Just because I'm bringing up religion doesn't mean we need to argue over it. I've noticed that religion seems to shut down alot of topics. I find this topic a good place to get questions answered, so let's not get it locked with a pointless arguement.

Thanks, MatthiasMan, for the avatar!

Dannflower Reguba

That's a very good question.... It isn't a church! I forgot which book it's in, but there is a song that explains it.... The sign said "This ain't Ninians!" and after ages of time it became "thiS AINT NINIANS".

Skyblade

Oh yeah. I think I've heard that song. Thanks.

I'm gonna be a regular visitor to this topic...
This is kinda an unanswerable question, but how big is Mossflower Country?

Dannflower Reguba

However big Brian Jaques made it!  ;)

Rainshadow

What was the name of the island with the otters and the island with the hedgehogs?
If you're interested in my art or keeping in touch, I'm active on DeviantArt and Instagram!

Dannflower Reguba

Ruddaring, and peace island. There are topics for both in the legends and myths board.

Skyblade

I have yet another question. In the first book the redwallers sometimes eat goatsmilk or products made from goatsmilk, like goatsmilk cheese. How do they make goatsmilk without a goat? Infact, they don't even have any cows to make regular milk...

Skipper

Quote from: Skyblade on June 12, 2012, 10:12:47 PM
Right, I wondered about that too. Mossflower Country is a fantasy world, so I guess  the animals don't have to have the same size-ratios as in real life.
Actually if you have the Redwall cook book, the pictures show the otters are massive compared to the mice whitch is probably the real size.

gorath

Yea. Otters are probobly big as foxes.
My favorite people: Obi Wan, Satele Shan, Jek 14, Kai, Longtooth, and Kili.

Skyblade

Quote from: Skipper on June 13, 2012, 07:12:52 AM
Quote from: Skyblade on June 12, 2012, 10:12:47 PM
Actually if you have the Redwall cook book, the pictures show the otters are massive compared to the mice whitch is probably the real size.

Really? I've never even seen the cookbook so I wouldn't know. sorry. I still think that the animals don't differ greatly in size though.