Making of Martin's Sword

Started by BadgerLordFiredrake, March 13, 2014, 11:12:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Skarzs

Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

The Shade

Quote from: The Skarzs on April 10, 2014, 04:36:42 PM
Would've made more than one sword, then. It only takes about 4-6 lbs. of metal to make a sword, and a meteor the size of a basketball would be probably weigh 100 lbs.
D:
Maybe that's where the rest of those insanely tough badger weapons came from.
Think about that: maybe they were all from the same meteor.
Well, some of it might have been mixed with rock. Remember, this is molten metal we're talking about. I doubt all of it was as pure as Martin's sword.
They told me I was gullible. I believed them.

It is well known that 47% of statistics are made up on the spot.

I used to leave out half my sentances, but now I

The Skarzs

Molten? I don't think so. . .
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

BadgerLordFiredrake

I doubt they would be able to get liquid tungsten, osmium, iridium, or any other of the heavier metals.
baby turtle forever

The Skarzs

Definitely not liquid, but they would be malleable at 2700 degrees or so.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

The Skarzs

Revive!

Okay, I was thinking about Martin's sword in the animated series, and how it has the words "I AM THAT IS" ground into it. Not only would this cause problems on the battlefield with all those grooves causing resistance, and catching blood and dirt, but it would ruin the structural integrity of the blade. In short, the sword in the animated Redwall would hardly be a choice weapon for an experienced sword-wielder.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Wylder Treejumper

I wouldn't grind any large words or anything into a sword. Some minor decorative surface work is OK, but should be kept to the minimum and very shallow.
"'Tis the business of small minds to shrink, but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death."
-Thomas Paine

"Integrity and firmness is all I can promise; these, be the voyage long or short, shall never forsake me although I may be deserted by all men."
-George Washington

Courage: Not only the willingness to die manfully, but also the determination to live decently.

James Gryphon

Well, sword etching is apparently a refined technique, although I don't know whether it was ever done on actual working blades, or if it's only used on ceremonial/modern junk. Given that it's on television, though, where they want to blow everything up to make it visible to the viewers, I'm not sure I would assume that it's 'actually' worse than the limits of that real-world technique would mandate.

For what it's worth, although both Martin and Matthias use the phrase multiple times, I'm not sure that the sword is ever mentioned as actually having this inscription on it in Redwall, so if this is a problem, it's a problem exclusive to the animated series.
« Subject to editing »

The Skarzs

*Is having a problem not blurting out the problems seen in the animated sword. . .*

Yes, it's just in the animated series; just wanted to point that out.

Oh, hey! That sword's class (in the picture) is an arming sword. ;D
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

James Gryphon

Quote from: The Skarzs on October 10, 2014, 07:38:30 PM
Oh, hey! That sword's class (in the picture) is an arming sword. ;D
Every picture I've ever seen of Martin's sword, with the exception of that nutty Redwall cover that was posted up a couple of months back, depict it as being such, so that's one thing that they got right.
« Subject to editing »

CaptainRocktree

Quote from: The Skarzs on March 14, 2014, 07:04:42 PM
Titanium in the alloy would give it strength, and iron would help cancel out the brittleness.
My glasses are made out of Titanium :P
Not all those who wander are lost.
J.R.R Tolkien

Hazelrah42

Quote from: BadgerLordFiredrake on March 13, 2014, 11:12:43 PM
I was thinking that since Martin's sword is made of an asteroid and the Badger Lord (forgot his name :L) said how hard it was to heat the metal, it could be made of iridium, osmium, titanium, or other metals that normally they wouldn't be able to mine.  Thoughts?

Not that this probably matters anymore, but it was Boar the Fighter :)

Steelinghades

Quote from: The Skarzs on October 10, 2014, 07:09:24 PM
Revive!

Okay, I was thinking about Martin's sword in the animated series, and how it has the words "I AM THAT IS" ground into it. Not only would this cause problems on the battlefield with all those grooves causing resistance, and catching blood and dirt, but it would ruin the structural integrity of the blade. In short, the sword in the animated Redwall would hardly be a choice weapon for an experienced sword-wielder.

That's not nearly as much of a problem as you're making it out to be.

Verdauga

Didn't the sword Ulfbhert have runes etched into it?

Edit: Realized they already covered the issue of the engraving.
Killing the mood since 2019

Thanks for the artwork Lass, Scott, and Wortshire! (And Dannflower as well for the Worldstate badge.)

Jetthebinturong

Many swords have had inscriptions on them and functioned perfectly well.
"In the meantime, no one should roam the camp alone. Use the buddy system."
"Understood." Will looked at Nico. "Will you be my buddy?"
"You're a dork," Nico announced.
~ The Hidden Oracle, Rick Riordan