News:

For some, the heat of summer nears its end. . . And for others, the blooms of spring appear.

Main Menu

Guided Paws

Started by Free Thought, March 30, 2013, 10:01:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shadowed One

Sorry, since your gender is not on your profile I didn't know. Sorry!
Martin the Warrior is way more epic than Mickey Mouse. Anyone who says otherwise is insane, or just wrong.

"I'm languishing in heroic obscurity!"-Doc

Free Thought

Chapter 3

"Redwall, ya say?" A sea otter mused and rubbed his chin thoughtfully at the question the little travelling party of mice posed to him.  "That abbey be in Mossflower Country, matey.  You be standing in Flahignary Port."
   The mice waited in silence, hoping the sea beast would tell them more, but he just went back to mending his hemp net on his seat overlooking the docks.
   "Well?" Marden huffed and took a step towards the creature. "If this is Flahign... Flemhigh... if this is some sort of port- then how do we get to Redwall?"
   "Same way you came, only this time, keep your shadow on your right paw!" the otter laughed, causing Marden to growl in frustration.
   "No use getting angry now, mate," the otter said with a grin.  "Even the most seasoned beasts get turned around sometimes.  Might as well relax a night and enjoy the spoils of the Eastern Sea!"
   "We need a place to stay for the night," Marden sighed and looked around the town. "Is there some place travellers stay?"
   "Banyan Inn be down the line o' bit," the creature replied and waved them off down the street. "Be a little tavern there too ya can get some vittles."
   "Marden, we have no coin for an inn," Keanna said softly and looked at the exhausted faces of Anya and Bronya. 
   "Perhaps they are feeling charitable," Marden replied and looked down at his sleeping son in Anya's paws.  They were all beyond weary and he prayed the inn would take them.  To get a full night's sleep in a bed under a roof would do them all wonders.  As would a true meal.  Tomorrow they could strike out again for Redwall, but night they needed to rest.
   Taking the little bundle from Anya's paws, Marden slumped forward towards the building the otter pointed out, praying for luck with each step.

-o-o-o-o-o-o-

They thought they were in luck. They thought they had caught a break.  They thought... they thought wrong.
Banyan Inn had rooms despite a passenger ship docking from the south and the innkeeper took pity on Marden and his family, letting them stay the night and giving them food in exchange for Marden splitting firewood and Keanna helping in the kitchens.  Bronya pitched in too and helped serve the sailors ale and bread, and for that they were insured a hot breakfast.  But there was something about the odd cough here and there and the flushed faces of the crew.  Slowly, they retired early to their rented beds and were quiet the rest of the night.  Even the innkeeper commented on the uncommonness of their demeanour for a group of sailors put to port.  They were usually rowdier.
   When the family of mice woke up that morning, they could hear the beasts coughing and calling for water.  Water.  Water.  More water.
   As they sat down to their portage and Marden bounced a happy Matthias on his knee, an ensign from the ship tore into the inn calling fever.  Delirium.  Plague.
   Instantly, Marden pulled his cloak over his son's nose when the ensign coughed loudly into his shirt sleeve.  They had to get out of there. They had to run again.

Two days to the south and Keanna fell ill.  Then Anya.  Within a week, they were gone and it was just Marden, Bronya and Matthias.  They didn't have time to grieve for them.  They had to keep pushing to Redwall.  To Redwall where they would finally, hopefully, be safe.
   At night, Matthias cried for his mother and shook angry fists at his father and aunt as they tried to comfort him.  The only solace they had was if they were moving.  Motion seemed to calm the little one and so they pushed onwards.  Further to the south.  Another week of travelling south.
   "We'll rest here," Marden said when they came to river that flowed to the west.  It was a forested area, ancient trees jetting up from the rich soil, their branches stretching out over the waters like long fingers pointing the way to an unknown destination and their bark covered with soft green moss and delicate purple and white flowers.
   "It seems so peacefully here," Bronya whispered and laid a cloak on the ground to use as a sleeping mat. "The air is warmer too.  We must be getting close.  We must be getting closer to Redwall."
   "Seasons be kind," Marden sighed and rocked Matthias in his tired arms. "Let us hope this is over soon."
   "Do you want me to take him for a bit?" Bronya asked. "Denny, you're exhausted.  You can't stay up each night with him you know."
   "I know, Brony," Marden said sadly. "But I... he's all... Matthias and I will just sit here on the bank and watch the river."
   "Okay, Denny," Bronya said, sniffing slightly at the sorrow in her brother's features.  Casting a glance at the setting sun in front of her to ensure they were going the right way, the mousemaid let her eyes close and her body drift away to her dreams of her home long ago.
   Beside the river, Marden was perched on a rock with Matthias sitting on his lap, letting his chin rest on his son's head and smiling whenever the mouselet pointed at a passing fish in the clear waters.  Around them the leaves rustled in the gentle breeze as it hummed a tune through the reeds and the branches of the ancient trees.  Marden smiled in exhausted recognition of the earthly music; he was too tired to argue with his logic against the coincidence and began humming the timeworn lullaby of his family along with the wind.  Feeling Matthias start to relax in his paws, Marden started singing lowly to the mouselet, lulling him to sleep with the timeless words:

"Goodbye my love, I won't lie to you,
   I'm sorry to leave you, it's true.
   Goodbye my love, I'll miss you,
   As sure as the ocean is blue.
   Goodbye my love, I'll think of you,
   And all of the memories we've made.
   Goodbye my love, I'll dream of you.
   And all of the plans that we've laid.
   Goodbye my love, I'll love you.
   For all of the rest of my days."

Shadowed One

I LOVE THE STORY! PLEASE WRITE EVEN MORE, IT IS GREAT!
Martin the Warrior is way more epic than Mickey Mouse. Anyone who says otherwise is insane, or just wrong.

rachel25

I really like this story  ;D write more  :D please read
and this too   8)

Free Thought

Quote from: rachel25 on April 24, 2013, 03:13:44 PM
I really like this story  ;D write more  :D please read
and this too   8)

Quote from: Shadowed One on April 24, 2013, 01:59:46 PM
I LOVE THE STORY! PLEASE WRITE EVEN MORE, IT IS GREAT!

Thank-you!  I will try and get another chapter up soon- probably by Friday.  Just trying to catch up on the rest of my FanFics right now!

Attn: Shadowed One: Thanks for the review of "The Red Prince." Since you just reviewing as a guest on FF I can't send you a thank-you PM, but Thank-you all the same!  Don't worry- the battle on the beach comes in the next chapter.  I'm taking a little extra time to develop characters/relationships with this rewrite  ;)  And yes, I will try to update it often!

Shadowed One

Martin the warrior

AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH

AAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH

AAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH

*passes out*
Apples is ripe when they are ready  
When pears is ripe they'll fall
What must happen will happen or       
it won't happen at all

To love, you must first love yourself

cluneythescourge

keep writing! the suspense is bloomin' killing me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Shadowed One

WarriorOfMossflower

This is really awesome! Please continue! *puppy eyes*
In process of rekindling my love for Redwall.

Free Thought

Thank-you to Martin the warrior, cluneythescourge, Shadowed One and WarriorOfMossflower for the praise.  I know I am LONNNNNGGGGGGG overdue for an update.  I promise to have one up tomorrow. How does that sound?  Just out of curiosity... Anyone made a connection between Noonvale and Redwall yet?

Shadowed One

I have, but mostly because I have read TSAHF. ;D

Martin the warrior

Apples is ripe when they are ready  
When pears is ripe they'll fall
What must happen will happen or       
it won't happen at all

To love, you must first love yourself

rachel25

I LOVE this story so please write more I NEED To know what happens *gets down on knees and begs*  :o I love this story Write more or else there will be trouble MOOOOOHHAAAHEEEEEEE

Free Thought

Okay- sorry for the long time in between updates... Anyways- here's Chapter 4!

Chapter 4

"Marden, look at the size of it!" Bronya cried and pointed to a red structure poking its red peaks out of the treetops. "Is it... is it..."

"Redwall," Marden sighed in relief and smiled happily.  After two seasons of seemingly endless wandering, they had made it.  Redwall Abbey.  They were safe.  They were home.

"Do you see it, Matthias?" he asked excitedly and squeezed his son's shoulders where he was pressed up against his father's leg.  "That's our new home, son!"

The mouselet nodded his head with juvenile enthusiasm, taking his thumb out of his mouth only long enough to point a claw towards the building before popping it back in again.  Marden chuckled at his son and gently removed the paw from his mouth to place it firmly in his.

"Come on, then," the mouse smiled and held out his other paw to his sister. "Let's go home."

-o-o-o-o-o-

It took the mice almost three hours to reach their destination and once they did, they gaped up at the tall walls and large timbered doors.

"It's not really what I expected," Bronya whispered to her brother from their hiding place by the trees.  Adjusting Matthias' sleeping form in her paws she pointed to the north side of the building where red paint was chipping off the side boards. "They always spoke of stonewalls in the legends and the bell towers... Marden are you sure this is it?"

"Erm, well, the walls are red," he tried to reason as he looked up to the top of front where a loft door hung open and bits of straw fluttered out into the breeze. "I mean, it's as big as they always said it was..."

"But where are all the creatures?" the maid pressed. "Shouldn't there be lots of beasts walking around and music and laughter?  It's so quiet here."

"Maybe they are all out doing good deeds," Marden observed. "Redwall is known for its generosity.  Perhaps they are all out about the woods helping creatures in need."

"Don't you think we would have come across them, then?  Marden, maybe this isn't Redwall."

The mouse sighed and looked down at his sister and little son.  They were both exhausted and thin from lack of food.  All of them wore tattered clothes and it was by sheer determination that they were even still alive:  Determination and a whispering wind urging them on.

"Well, if this isn't Redwall, maybe somebeast here will know where it is," he said firmly and pushed his way out of the bushes towards the structure.

"Marden- wait!" Bronya exclaimed. "You don't know what's in there- if anything is in there, I mean."

"There's only one way to find out, Brony," he said plainly. "Oi!  Er- hello in there!" he shouted and took another step towards the door. "Hello!"

There was no response but the creaking of the door on the hinges being buffeted gently by the breeze.

"I said- HELLO IN THERE!" Marden yelled again.  This time there was a slight rustling sound from the loft door and a clump of straw fell out onto the ground before them.  The two mice went silent as they gazed at the mixture of bright yellow straw bits and downy white feathers.     

"Denny..." Bronya hissed. "Denny, get back here- those look like owl feathers!"

"Shh, Bronya."

"They may not be friendly like Boldlet or Hortred, Marden," his sister pleaded. "Please get back here until we know for certain-"

Bronya froze at the crack of a twig behind her and the feeling of eyes piercing their way through her heart.  She couldn't turn around, she couldn't move her footpaws.  She was frozen in place with fear as a low yowl clawed its way up her spine and into her ears, widening her eyes and causing her to grip Matthias closer to her chest.

"Marden..."

"Bronya, I told you to be... Bronya- look out!" Marden screamed, spinning on his heel and bolting towards her. "Bronya- a cat! Run, Brony- run!"

There was a loud hiss behind her as Marden grabbed her elbows and pulled her forward away from the feline as a paw swiped the air between them.  Quickly, they scrambled into the clearing before the building, Matthias' startled wails now echoing off the walls and treetops.  Marden tried to pull them towards the open doors, desperate to find a safe refuge for them, but the wildcat leapt out of the brush before them and bared their entry.  Its bright orange fur flamed in the sunlight and his daggered teeth fanged at them.  Pinning its ears flat to its head, the cat let out a loud hiss and swatted the air again, driving them back into the woods to the west.  Marden pushed Bronya behind him and drew his short dagger, silently cursing himself for his lost bow and arrows.

"Bronya, I'm going to try and divert his attention over to the right," Marden mumbled out of the side of his mouth. "When he follows me, I want you to make a run for the building and hide.  Whatever happens, hide there with Matthias- keep Matthias safe..."

"Marden- No, don't do this!" Bronya cried. "Not like Father- please Denny- we can both run..."

"Go!" he shouted, shoving her roughly with his left paw and sprinting to the right.  To Marden's luck, the cat followed his movements, jumping in front of him again and uttering a low growl.  The mouse squared off against the cat, clenching his own teeth and curling his lips in challenge.  His knuckles whitened from their grip on his small weapon as he eyed his opponent, looking for any sort of weakness.  After a brief moment, he realized there wasn't any, but more importantly, the cat wasn't attacking him- just keeping him away from the building; away from the building Bronya was running towards with his son...

A loud screech sounded through the air, breaking the confrontation between mouse and cat as they turned to see a great snowy owl swoop down from the open loft door with its talons open wide.

"BRONYA!" Marden howled as he watched his sister cringe for a brief second before disappearing with a blood chilling scream amidst razor sharp claws. "NO- Matthias!"

"Marden!" Bronya squealed and screamed again as the bird started to take flight. "Marden!"

To the mouse's surprise, the cat was in pursuit of the owl before he could even place a footpaw towards her.  The orange tabby bounded across the grass, leaping into the air and slapping the bird's wing to off balance him.  The owl gave a startled screech, loosening its hold on the mousemaid just enough for her to slip from its grasp onto the forest floor.  Bronya landed with a thud and Matthias' little body rolled out from her grasp.

"Bronya!" Marden called as he descended upon them. "Bronya!"

"Da!" the frightened mouselet cried, sitting on his bottom and opening and closing his tiny paws up to his father. "Da!"

Marden scooped up his son and cuddled him to his chest. "It's alright, Matthias, I've got you..."

Another screech sounded again and Marden turned in time to see Bronya snatched up again by the owl, only this time she barely had time to utter a squeak before the talons tightened and a sickening crunch fell onto Marden's ears.

"No," he gasped. "No- Bronya- Bronya!" But his calls were not answered.

Marden staggered a few steps towards the building they once thought was their haven, watching the snowy owl glide effortless through the air and into the loft with the body of his sister in its claws.  Tears blinded his vision and he could barely make out the orange blur that moved in front of him, again blocking his way to the entrance.

It yowled and hissed, forcing the mouse and babe backwards towards the west again, away from the sounds of beak clapping and crunches.

"No," Marden growled loudly. "No!"

"Run you fool!" the cat hissed, swatting at the air to drive them back, but Marden stood his ground.  "Run!" he snarled and gave a warning snort through his nose.  When Marden didn't move, but in fact took a challenging step towards the feline, the wildcat bolted out a hissing growl and struck out at the mouse with an open paw.

Marden twisted away, shielding Matthias from the strike just in time, but not quick enough to avoid the claws himself.  Sharpe points ripped through his flesh and the mouse gasped at the burning sensation emulating from his fresh wounds.  He had never experienced such agony before, falling to his knees and letting out a cry of pain.

"Da!" Matthias yelled and grasped tighter to his father, hiding his face in Marden's tunic.

"Hold on, Matthias," Marden grunted, pushing himself back to his footpaws and groaning at the feel of blood dripping down his back.  Looking over his shoulder, Marden eyed the cat warily where it paced back and forth behind him.

"Go!" it hissed again, arching its back up and ruffling its fur.  Marden breathed heavily for a moment before staggering west into the trees carrying the only possession he had left in the world.  It wasn't until they were firmly on their way that Marden heard the forest echo with a frightening hiss:

"SNOW!!!"