News:

We're doing a read-along of the Redwall series! The current book is The Sable Quean!

Main Menu

Card Game

Started by HeadInAnotherGalaxy, July 13, 2011, 11:58:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Tammo

"Cowards die a thousand times, a warrior only dies once. The spirits of all you have slain are watching you, Vilu Daskar, and they will rest in peace now that your time has come. You must die as you have lived, a coward to the last!" -Luke the warrior

HeadInAnotherGalaxy

Here's Deyna, aka, Tha Taggerung:

And here's Skarlath:

NARDOLE; You are completely out of your mind!
DOCTOR: How is that news to anyone?

"I am Yomin Carr, the harbinger of doom. I am the beginning of the end of your people!" -Yomin Carr

-Sometime later, the second mate was unexpectedly rescued by the subplot, which had been trailing a bit behind the boat (and the plot). The whole story moved along.

DanielofRedwall

Received mostly negative reviews.

James Gryphon

A bunch of questions about the cards themselves:

I think I understand the attack and defense (or at least have a vague notion of what it might be used for), but what exactly does speed have to do with it? Is it used to determine initiative?

Also, why are all the numbers always so high? Are lower-stat "grunt" cards going to be made later -- and if so, are those the "fighters" that are being referred to (more on that later)?

What does the colored box on the bottom-right mean?

I might have assumed the color of cards has to do with alignment of animal, but that can't be the case because Matthias and Cluny have the same color, while Skarlath is another kind completely. What exactly *does* it mean?

What do the crosses, circles, and stars on the right edge mean, and what difference does it make if a card has one or another?

Why does Slagar have the power to instakill an opposing fighter? I might not be clear on what a fighter is, but it seems that could be rather extreme, if it includes characters like Matthias, et al. I assume Matthias and Cluny and the like would qualify as leaders, not fighters, but that still leaves us not knowing what a fighter is.

If it takes losing all your fighters to lose, and the Orlando card keeps one fighter from being lost, wouldn't that mean that playing that card would make you unbeatable (unless, I guess, Slagar instakills that fighter)?

There are apparently alignment classes that include "darkanoids, lightanoids, and beastanoids". What difference does it make if some character is of one class or another, in-game?
« Subject to editing »

DanielofRedwall

*Tugs at HIAG's sleeve*

Excuse me, kind sir, but I do believe you haven't made one for Martin the Warrior yet!!! You can't forget him!!!

Also, please make a Felldoh one, PLEASE!!! thank you.
Received mostly negative reviews.

James Gryphon

If you want Martin, just use Matthias; they're basically the same thing. ;)
« Subject to editing »

Redwall Musician

*pats Weasel dude's head* Good job! They look cute... I mean awesome.
..."Where courage hides within the shawdows, patience within the storms, friendship in around every corner, and inspiration just outside your window."

HeadInAnotherGalaxy

Quote from: James Gryphon on July 16, 2011, 11:08:37 AM
A bunch of questions about the cards themselves:

I think I understand the attack and defense (or at least have a vague notion of what it might be used for), but what exactly does speed have to do with it? Is it used to determine initiative?

Also, why are all the numbers always so high? Are lower-stat "grunt" cards going to be made later -- and if so, are those the "fighters" that are being referred to (more on that later)?

What does the colored box on the bottom-right mean?

I might have assumed the color of cards has to do with alignment of animal, but that can't be the case because Matthias and Cluny have the same color, while Skarlath is another kind completely. What exactly *does* it mean?

What do the crosses, circles, and stars on the right edge mean, and what difference does it make if a card has one or another?

Why does Slagar have the power to instakill an opposing fighter? I might not be clear on what a fighter is, but it seems that could be rather extreme, if it includes characters like Matthias, et al. I assume Matthias and Cluny and the like would qualify as leaders, not fighters, but that still leaves us not knowing what a fighter is.

If it takes losing all your fighters to lose, and the Orlando card keeps one fighter from being lost, wouldn't that mean that playing that card would make you unbeatable (unless, I guess, Slagar instakills that fighter)?

There are apparently alignment classes that include "darkanoids, lightanoids, and beastanoids". What difference does it make if some character is of one class or another, in-game?

-Speed is used for setting fighters and determining whether a card is the attacker or defender in a fight.

Let us use an example for each of these:

Setting:
At the beginning of your turn [during "Peace"] you draw a card and then roll two dice, and the result is the Set Roll. The Set roll, as the name implies, is used for setting fighters. For our example, let's say that you rolled a |5| and a |6| (Equaling: 11). You multiply the number by 10 (thus: 11->110) and that is your Set Roll. You may then set any number of fighters so long as their total speed is equal to or less than the Set Roll. So let's say you 5 fighters in your hand, with speeds of 80, 110, 20, 55, and 55. If you wanted to use up your entire Set Roll for that turn, you could set: |the 80 with the 20|, |the 110|, or |the 55 with the 55|.

Fighting:
When you decide to attack a player's fighter (during "War") with one of your fighters, (Lets say a card with |78-Spd, 32-Atk, and 27-Def| vs a card with |82-Spd, 29-Atk, and 31 Def|) each player rolls two dice to determine who will be the attacker and who will be the defender. Let's say the 1st fighter rolled a |4| and a |3| (equaling 7), and the 2nd a |5| and a |1| (equaling 6). This number is added to their speed, thus: |85| vs |88| therefore the 1st card will be defending (so its defense will be used) and the 2nd card will be attacking (so its attack will be used). You do the same rolling thing with regards to Attacking and defending, and the card with the lower number is destroyed (sent to the discard pile). The player who's turn tis can keep doing this until either they destroy all of their opponent's fighters, one of their fighters is destroyed, or if they decide not to attack.

So in other words, cards with higher stats either have a speed that makes it harder to set them, or they have an effect (such as Ghost King which is mentioned below) that prevents them from quickly being set.

-The numbers are so high because all the cards I've been making at the moment are one's that realistically widae high stats. If I made one for say, Abbot Mortimer, the stats would be lower; while if I made one for say, Badrang, the stats would be higher. And yes, (besides the non-Redwall cards I've made) I will be making (as you caw it) "grunt" cards.

-Regarding the "coloured box" on the bottom-right hand corner, you've seen things like that on other types of trading cards. Tis just something for identifying that the card is a real card and not a forgery (I dinnae ken exactly how this will be done, yet).

-The next two questions and the last question can call be answered with the same thing. The colours and the symbols both represent the different classes of fighters. (I'll admit, I should have made Cluny A Darknoid). They both go together, so you wouldnae see a red card with a black circle symbol.

The classes are used for a variety of things. For example, (with my non-Redwall cards) I have a card called Ghost King that requires you to have 10 or more Darkanoid-class cards in your discard pile in order to be set. Their are also Landscape cards that can effect only certain classes of fighters.

-There are many cards like this in the game, but their are also many cards that can disable or even send the effects right back at the users. For example, Martin's Sword. If  a player had Matthias attacked Slagar while equipted with it and the other player activated the instant-kill card, due to the sword's effect it would do nothing and Matthias wouldnae be destroyed. (Unless Slagar killed Matthias via battle, of course.) If you remember from Mattimeo, Slagar never missed with his bolas. So logically, Matthias without the sword would probably meet the same fate as Vitch.

Leader cards can be identified by the small L within a circle just above their attack and defense stats. Fighters dinnae have the L. At the moment with the rules leader cards dinnae do that much, so I thought it would be better if Matthias and Cluny were fighter cards so that they could be used more.

-The card refers to [after equiptment] choosing one fighter from either your's or your opponent's sides of the field. The equipted card cannae be destroyed by battle until the chosen card is destroyed, which means that the instant-kill card would work. So yes, they would be unbeatable, but there are enough effect cards created that this wouldnae be as much of a problem.

Any other questions?

~~~

As soon as I find time I'll make the Martin and Felldoh cards.

In the meantime, it appears that this post has gotten rather long, so I'm going to stop and hit "post" now.

"I am Yomin Carr, the harbinger of doom. I am the beginning of the end of your people!" -Yomin Carr

-Sometime later, the second mate was unexpectedly rescued by the subplot, which had been trailing a bit behind the boat (and the plot). The whole story moved along.

James Gryphon

Quote from: HeadWeaselInAnotherGalaxyAny other questions?
Nah, I think that'll about do it for now; thanks very much for your time!
« Subject to editing »

Tiria Wildlough

Can you make one for Cregga? Pleeeeease?
Also Tiria Wildlough??
:) :)
My tumblr! not-the-skycat.tumblr.com
I'm not a hipster.

ilovemariel

cool! I have a question... no, it`s actually a plea! PLEASE PLEAS PLEASE CAN YOU MAKE A MARIEL CARD!!! :'(PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAS pretty please with a redwall on top! ::)
Old stories told by travellers, Great songs that bards have sung, Of Mossflower summers, faded, gone, When Redwall's stones were young. Great Hall fires on winter nights,
The legends, who remembers,Battles, banquets, comrades, quests,Recalled midst glowing embers.Draw close now, little woodlander

HeadInAnotherGalaxy

Captain Tammo

Ok I do have a question: what's a darkinoid, beastanoid etc.  ???
"Cowards die a thousand times, a warrior only dies once. The spirits of all you have slain are watching you, Vilu Daskar, and they will rest in peace now that your time has come. You must die as you have lived, a coward to the last!" -Luke the warrior

Log-a-Log

This is a really good idea and is looking awesome
I know you can fight William, but its our wits that make us men. - Malcolm Wallace, from Braveheart

HeadInAnotherGalaxy

Here are all the requested cards:

Cregga:

Felldoh:

Mariel:

Martin:

Tiria: