News:

For some, the heat of summer nears its end. . . And for others, the blooms of spring appear.

Main Menu

Spam Accounts

Started by Jukka the Sling, December 06, 2013, 04:10:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jukka the Sling

So I was wondering about those annoying spam accounts. Are they all bots, or are some of them real people? 'Cause some accounts are rather "intelligent", and actually make a post based on what the topic's about. Also, why don't the staff delete these accounts?
"The world is indeed full of peril, and in it there are many dark places; but still there is much that is fair, and though in all lands love is now mingled with grief, it grows perhaps the greater." ~J.R.R. Tolkien

BrookSkimmer

Good question.

Few are 'intelligent' but for the most part they are bots.

We do delete they however there are quite a few new ones on any given occasion. If you would like to put a few links to pages on which you have seen these spam accounts at work that would be helpful. At least for getting rid of the ones you've spotted.  ;)

Jukka the Sling

"The world is indeed full of peril, and in it there are many dark places; but still there is much that is fair, and though in all lands love is now mingled with grief, it grows perhaps the greater." ~J.R.R. Tolkien

Ungatt Trunn

I've checked all of those links...what makes you think that accounts like MissKelly are spambots? They look legit to me.

Life is too short to rush through it.

Jukka the Sling

For one thing, they have a link to something in their signature. Also, they joined the forum, were on for a few hours, and haven't been on since.

Ungatt Trunn

Quote from: Jukka the Sling on December 06, 2013, 04:19:33 PM
For one thing, they have a link to something in their signature. Also, they joined the forum, were on for a few hours, and haven't been on since.
But didn't you once have a link in your signature? And your a legit person, right?

Right?
;D

Jukka the Sling

::)

They're linking to a business, though. I was linking to a non-business website.

Ungatt Trunn

Quote from: Jukka the Sling on December 06, 2013, 04:22:50 PM
They're linking to a business, though. I was linking to a non-business website.
What type of business?

Jukka the Sling

Look at MissKelly's signature. (I don't recommend clicking links from spammers, though.)

My 250th post! Woot! ;D

BrookSkimmer

All listed accounts have been checked into and appropriate actions were made.

Ungatt Trunn

Quote from: BrookSkimmer on December 06, 2013, 04:56:30 PM
All listed accounts have been checked into and appropriate actions were made.
As I have seen...but I have a question: if there are SPAM accounts, why not just delete the account instead of gagging them?

Lutra

Deleting allows them to re-register with the email address.  Gagging prevents the email from being re-used, so a spammer has to keep registering new email addresses as well as a new account for here.
Ya Ottah! ~ Sierra

Ungatt Trunn

Quote from: Lutra on December 07, 2013, 02:07:27 AM
Deleting allows them to re-register with the email address.  Gagging prevents the email from being re-used, so a spammer has to keep registering new email addresses as well as a new account for here.
Alright, I understand now. Thanks. :)