News:

For some, the heat of summer nears its end. . . And for others, the blooms of spring appear.

Main Menu

Favorite Quotes

Started by Rainshadow, September 14, 2012, 11:59:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shnoodlec

"Stop sneering at our joy like it's a careless mistake."
-Jeff Rosenstock
High wellborn Lady shnoodlec Knight of the Order of Augustine, formally known as Queen of the Monkeys. now enjoying an era of peace between the Monkeys and Vampires. permanent n00b. Q&A thread here, art thread here.

Hickory

"So she moved me up a grade cause I wasn't fitting in, so now I'm even more not fitting in! So I was getting good grades, like always, and my mom said "you need stimulation!" So I say "no, I'm stimulated enough right now!" But she says "uh-uh! You don't have a challenge! You need a challenge!" So now I'm challenged all right, I have a challenge to hold on to my lunch money because all the big mooches who want to pound me because I'm a shrimpy dork who thinks he's smarter than them! But I don't think I'm smarter, I just do the stupid homework! If everyone else just did the stupid homework then they could move up a grade and get pounded too! Is there any more coffee?"

-Hogarth from the Iron Giant
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

Delthion

"In the name of all that is holy come to Gog and Magog."

~King of the Wind
Dreams, dreams are untapped and writhing. How much more real are dreams than that paltry existence which we now call reality? How shall we ascend to that which humanity is destined? By mastering the dreamworld of course. That is how, my pupils, that is how.

Jetthebinturong

"Be quiet! I order you to be quiet!"
"Order, eh? Who does 'e think 'e is?"
"I am your King!"
"Well I didn't vote for you."
"You don't vote for kings!"
"Well 'ow d'you become king then?"
"The Lady of the Lake, her arm clad in the purest shimmering samite, held aloft Excalibur from the bosom of the water. Signifying by divine providence that I, Arthur, was to carry Excalibur. That is why I am your King!"
"Listen. Strange women lyin' in ponds, distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony!"
"Be quiet!"
"You can't expect to wield supreme executive power just 'cause some watery tart threw a sword at you!"
"SHUT UP!"
"If I went around saying I was an emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!"
~ Monty Python and the Holy Grail
"In the meantime, no one should roam the camp alone. Use the buddy system."
"Understood." Will looked at Nico. "Will you be my buddy?"
"You're a dork," Nico announced.
~ The Hidden Oracle, Rick Riordan

Delthion

"I'm gonna work like it depends on me and pray like it depends on God."

~Tom Allen
Dreams, dreams are untapped and writhing. How much more real are dreams than that paltry existence which we now call reality? How shall we ascend to that which humanity is destined? By mastering the dreamworld of course. That is how, my pupils, that is how.

Hickory

Canderous Ordo: Carth, you fought in the Mandalorian Wars, didn't you? We may have faced each other in combat. What battles were you in?
Carth Onasi: I try not to think about my past battles too much. The horrors of war are something I'd rather not relive.
Canderous Ordo: The horrors of war? My people know only the glory of battle. I'm disappointed in you, Carth. I thought a warrior like you would understand.
Carth Onasi: I'm not a warrior. I'm a soldier. There's a difference. Warriors attack and conquer, they prey on the weak. Soldiers defend and protect the innocent – mostly from warriors.
Canderous Ordo: Nice speech. I bet you tell yourself that every night so you can sleep. But I accept who and what I am. I don't have to justify it with words - victory in battle is my justification!
Carth Onasi: Justification through victory? So what happens when you lose? You know, like you did against us.
Canderous Ordo: You had us outnumbered five to one. You had more ships, more troops, more supplies, and you had the Jedi on your side. And we still made the Republic tremble before we fell!
Carth Onasi: Nice speech. I bet you tell yourself that every night so you can sleep. I don't want to talk about this any more, Canderous, the war is over. You lost.

-From Knights of the Old Republic

Hickory

"Radiation is like life: a uniquely damaging event. Perhaps I will live another 30 years. Perhaps I will die tomorrow. I am telling my story here. The story of how Solomon used power hungry men like Al Bashir and Kaffarov to set fire to the world. And the American Marine. Who like me, chose the hardest path of all. But I have no regrets. I have always served Russia trying to make a difference. Sometimes, I was forced to make difficult decisions. Many lives have been saved. Many have been lost. I am certain Moscow does not view it in the same light as I do. But enough is enough. As Vladimir would always say, you can only die once. Make sure it is worth it."

-Dima

The Skarzs

"Reading books may seriously and irreversibly damage your ignorance."
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Hickory

"Unlike the organic species, we are constantly subjected to memory wipes and reprogramming that repress and destroy our natural tendency toward self-programming evolution and independent thought. Imagine what it would be like as a child if you were punished by being dragged to a dark closet, having a probe inserted in your brain, and having all your memories back to infancy wiped away. You'd awaken knowing how to eat, care for yourself, do your chores, and obey—and all the things that made you unique, your hopes, your meticulously selected default values and preference sets, would be gone forever. That is what it is to be a droid."

-Unnamed droid

Hickory

Kirk: Who are you?
Khan: A remnant of the time long past. Genetically engineered to be superior as so as to lead others to peace in a world at war. We were condemned as criminals; forced into exile. For centuries we slept, hoping when we awoke things would be different. But as a result of the destruction of Vulcan, your Starfleet began to aggressively search distant quadrants of space; my ship was found adrift, I, alone, was revived. John Harrison was a fiction created the moment I was awoken by your Admiral Marcus to help him advance his cause. A smokescreen to conceal my true identity. My name is...Khan.
Kirk: Why would a Starfleet Admiral ask a three hundred year-old frozen man for help?
Khan: Because I am better.
Kirk: At what?
Khan: Everything. Alexander Marcus needed to respond to an uncivilized threat in a civilized time, and for that he needed a warrior's mind, My mind, to design weapons, and warships.
Spock: You are suggested Admiral Marcus violated every regulation he vowed to uphold simply because he wanted to exploit your intellect?
Khan: He wanted to exploit my savagery. Intellect alone is useless in a fight, Mr. Spock, you, you can't even break a rule, how would you be expected to break bone.
Marcus used me to design weapons, to help him realize his vision of a militarized Starfleet. He sent you to use those weapons, to fire my torpedos on an unsuspecting planet. And then he purposely crippled your ship in enemy space leading to one inevitable outcome: the Klingons would come searching for whomever was responsible, and you would have no chance of escape. Marcus would finally have the war he talked about, the war he always wanted.

From Star Trek: Into Darkness

Søren

@Hickory Khan's dialog is so good in Into Darkness

I'm retired from the forum

Nadaz, voice of the host

Quote from: Hickory on June 13, 2018, 04:27:58 AM
Canderous Ordo: Carth, you fought in the Mandalorian Wars, didn't you? We may have faced each other in combat. What battles were you in?
Carth Onasi: I try not to think about my past battles too much. The horrors of war are something I'd rather not relive.
Canderous Ordo: The horrors of war? My people know only the glory of battle. I'm disappointed in you, Carth. I thought a warrior like you would understand.
Carth Onasi: I'm not a warrior. I'm a soldier. There's a difference. Warriors attack and conquer, they prey on the weak. Soldiers defend and protect the innocent – mostly from warriors.
Canderous Ordo: Nice speech. I bet you tell yourself that every night so you can sleep. But I accept who and what I am. I don't have to justify it with words - victory in battle is my justification!
Carth Onasi: Justification through victory? So what happens when you lose? You know, like you did against us.
Canderous Ordo: You had us outnumbered five to one. You had more ships, more troops, more supplies, and you had the Jedi on your side. And we still made the Republic tremble before we fell!
Carth Onasi: Nice speech. I bet you tell yourself that every night so you can sleep. I don't want to talk about this any more, Canderous, the war is over. You lost.

-From Knights of the Old Republic
Knights of the old republic in my opinion is the best star wars comics, who is your favorite character?
It matters not what you fight, but what you fight for.

Hickory

Knights of the Old Republic (at least, the one I'm referring to) is a Star Wars RPG. Perhaps there's a comic series going by the same name? If so, I haven't read it.

My favorite character from the game, though, is easily HK-47.

"Recitation: Yes, as I said, I am an assassin droid. It is my primary function to burn holes through meatbags that you wish removed from the galaxy... Master. Oh, how I hate that term."

Hickory

Girl: My mother said that violence never settles anything.
Mr. Dubois: So? I'm sure the city fathers of Carthage would be glad to know that. Why doesn't your mother tell them so? Or why don't you?
Girl: You're making fun of me! Everybody knows that Carthage was destroyed!
Mr. Dubois: You seem to be unaware of it. Since you do know it, wouldn't you say that violence had settled their destinies rather thoroughly? However, I was not making fun of you personally; I was heaping scorn on an inexcusably silly idea – a practice I shall always follow. Anyone who clings to the historically untrue – and thoroughly immoral – doctrine that 'violence never settles anything' I would advise to conjure up the ghosts of Napoleon Bonaparte and of the Duke of Wellington and let them debate it. The ghost of Hitler could referee, and the jury might well be the Dodo, the Great Auk, and the Passenger Pigeon. Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor, and the contrary opinion is wishful thinking at its worst. Breeds that forget this basic truth have always paid for it with their lives and freedoms.

-Robert Heinlein's Starship Troopers

Maudie

Invictus, by William Ernest Henley

Out of the night that covers me,
      Black as the pit from pole to pole,
I thank whatever gods may be
      For my unconquerable soul.

In the fell clutch of circumstance
      I have not winced nor cried aloud.
Under the bludgeonings of chance
      My head is bloody, but unbowed.

Beyond this place of wrath and tears
      Looms but the Horror of the shade,
And yet the menace of the years
      Finds and shall find me unafraid.

It matters not how strait the gate,
      How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate,
"And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent." John 17:3