Yes
8 (13.8%)
No
31 (53.4%)
Sort of
19 (32.8%)

Total Members Voted: 56

Kitsune

Aw, I was just going to post something like that, Osu! ;)
So many people say Rose isn't a Sue because they like her, but she really is. They may argue that she died, so she isn't a Sue, but she has hardly any character development so her death is more of a explanation for why Martin didn't love again or have any descendants.

Ungatt Trunn

But Rose  wasn't a Sue! She didn't really ever have the spotlight all to herself, and her only two"talent" wasbeing able to make eagle calls and sing. Mariel was a Sue because ahe acted like one. Rose didn't.

Life is too short to rush through it.

Dannflower Reguba

Quote from: PluggFiretail on January 12, 2014, 08:40:00 PM
So many people say Rose isn't a Sue because they like her, but she really is. They may argue that she died, so she isn't a Sue, but she has hardly any character development so her death is more of a explanation for why Martin didn't love again or have any descendants.

That was quit rude.

Rose is not a Sue because she is not perfect, the very fact that she wasn't completely developed pulls her out of the runnings, we don't know much about her, and even what we do know still doesn't qualify as a Sue.

As far as Gonff goes, I never payed much attention to him, didn't like him all that much. Brocktree's a badger, nuff said  :P. Tam was a highly experienced fighter with the guidance of Martin and his sword, even with all that he still came pretty close to losing to Gulo. Tam is by no means a Sue.
"Remember, sometimes is best to be like boomerang and come back." ~ Griffen

Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes. ~ Oscar Wilde

Mistakes can make you grow - That doesn't mean you're friends. ~NF - Remember This

Tam and Martin

Quote from: danflorreguba on January 16, 2014, 06:11:28 AM
Quote from: PluggFiretail on January 12, 2014, 08:40:00 PM

That was quit rude.

Rose is not a Sue because she is not perfect, the very fact that she wasn't completely developed pulls her out of the runnings, we don't know much about her, and even what we do know still doesn't qualify as a Sue.

As far as Gonff goes, I never payed much attention to him, didn't like him all that much. Brocktree's a badger, nuff said  :P. Tam was a highly experienced fighter with the guidance of Martin and his sword, even with all that he still came pretty close to losing to Gulo. Tam is by no means a Sue.
AGREED!

If you wanna chat, PM me :) I'd love to talk with any of you!

Instagram: aaron.stott2000
SC: ayayron2000

Kitsune

Quote from: Ungatt Trunn on January 14, 2014, 04:49:41 PM
But Rose  wasn't a Sue! She didn't really ever have the spotlight all to herself, and her only two"talent" wasbeing able to make eagle calls and sing. Mariel was a Sue because ahe acted like one. Rose didn't.
Not the correct definition of a Sue.
Quote from: Wikipedia"Mary Sue" is judged as a poorly developed character, too perfect and lacking in realism to be interesting.

@danflorreguba: Can you remind me of a time where she isn't perfect? I haven't read the book in a while. :P

Dannflower Reguba

Quote from: PluggFiretail on January 16, 2014, 07:16:53 PM
Quote from: Wikipedia"Mary Sue" is judged as a poorly developed character, too perfect and lacking in realism to be interesting.

@danflorreguba: Can you remind me of a time where she isn't perfect? I haven't read the book in a while. :P

Uh, when she tried to fight Badrang?  :P Seriously, assuming you bye into her "death" then she must have one of the mushiest heads in the known world. Also, she wasn't answering, rescuing, and fighting every situation that came, she helped in some scenarios and didn't in others. Let's switch over to Mariel here, she did EVERYTHING. Dandin wasn't the sword wielder, he was the carrying case for those times when a rope wasn't enough. THAT'S perfect, and therefore unrealistic.

FYI: Wikipedia is not the go to source for anything, that's completely opinion based.

Also, that's not very nice, because I thought Rose was rather interesting, much more so than Mariel who was completely stereotypical.
"Remember, sometimes is best to be like boomerang and come back." ~ Griffen

Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes. ~ Oscar Wilde

Mistakes can make you grow - That doesn't mean you're friends. ~NF - Remember This

Ungatt Trunn

Quote from: PluggFiretail on January 16, 2014, 07:16:53 PM
If your thinking that I meant she wasn't a Sue because she didn't have the spotlight often, your mistaken. I meant that she didn't do everything that suppisidly makes a Sue a Sue.

Just to say, I've just gotten Mariel Of Redwall from my library. After I read it, I'm sure that I'll have a thing or two to say on the subject.

And dan, what you said in your previous post about Mariel, SO TRUE. Though, I'll have my opinion of her developed better after I re-read Mariel Of Redwall.

The Shade

I don't have much to say for this topic, and although Rose was a bit cheesy, I wouldn't go as far to say she was a sue.
They told me I was gullible. I believed them.

It is well known that 47% of statistics are made up on the spot.

I used to leave out half my sentances, but now I

Ungatt Trunn

Quote from: The Shade on January 17, 2014, 10:50:37 PM
I don't have much to say for this topic, and although Rose was a bit cheesy, I wouldn't go as far to say she was a sue.
Cheesy? How was she cheesy?

The Shade

Quote from: Ungatt Trunn on January 17, 2014, 10:56:55 PM
I'm not gonna get bogged down in a huge debate on this board 'cos I don't check here often. She was a bit cheesy though, my opinion, maybe I'll expand on that once I get a bit of time.  ;)
They told me I was gullible. I believed them.

It is well known that 47% of statistics are made up on the spot.

I used to leave out half my sentances, but now I

Ungatt Trunn

Quote from: The Shade on January 18, 2014, 10:19:22 PM
Quote from: Ungatt Trunn on January 17, 2014, 10:56:55 PM
I'm not gonna get bogged down in a huge debate on this board 'cos I don't check here often. She was a bit cheesy though, my opinion, maybe I'll expand on that once I get a bit of time.  ;)
Don't worry, I don't want to have an angry debate. But I'm all up to a normal, conscious debate. ;)

Wylder Treejumper

Seriously, if being beautiful plus fill in skill here makes a girl a sue... I can think of several. That makes Songbreeze a sue. Even Fwirl (champion climber). And (dare I even say it?) Treerose (Errg. I hate her). But Rose is not a sue.
"'Tis the business of small minds to shrink, but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death."
-Thomas Paine

"Integrity and firmness is all I can promise; these, be the voyage long or short, shall never forsake me although I may be deserted by all men."
-George Washington

Courage: Not only the willingness to die manfully, but also the determination to live decently.

Rusvul

Rose's talents:

Singing, vocal things that are occasionally useful.
In general, a pretty and likeable person.
Throwing rocks
Dying by having her head smashed into a wall.

Seem sue-ish to you? Hmm, does it? She's mostly perfect in every situation that she's the solution to, but that's not every situation. During combat she's only adequate, not exceptional. She's not the one in the group who did all of the planning or thinking. She's perfect when the solution, but more often than not, she's not the solution.

Sebias of Redwall

*Revive*

Honestly, I never really thought of Rose as a Mary Sue. I think it would really depend on one's view of a Mary Sue.
"I can only speak two languages. English and rubbish." ~Brian Jacques

"No half-heartedness and no worldly fear must turn us aside from following the light unflinchingly."

"Evil labours with vast power and perpetual success - in vain: preparing always only the soil for unexpected good to sprout in."

~JRR Tolkien

Long live the RRR!

Luftwaffles

I saw her as more of a plot device than a Mary Sue... but that's probably just as bad.
~Please be sure to join us if ever you are passing~.

Having problems joining the board or accessing your account? E-mail us! (OfficialRedwallForum@gmail.com) Have Redwall news or artwork to share? Tweet us!