News:

We're doing a read-along of the Redwall series! The current book is The Sable Quean!

Main Menu

Ratty Driftwood

Started by Faclan, January 23, 2020, 02:52:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shisteer of nothing much

Mharbrow watched as the beasts filed into camp. Sliteye set about organising the prisoners into secure spaces, checking and removing any weapons, while they waiting crew leapt up to help the wounded. It was a good thing Belladonna was fetching more herbs, because she'd likely need them.
  The captain gave his first mate a pat on the back and a bowl of stew. Grunt had taken down a plump crow the night before, and it had tasted surprisingly good, especially with a few spices and some of the vegetables they'd been able to find.
  "You look a fright. Eat first, then you can make your report."
  Firestripe took the food gratefully, shoveling the warm, thick gravy into his mouth. It hadn't been an easy few days.
  "Ulrik's here. There's his first mate. He's not following us, but he has a big force and he seems to be setting up residence on land. We can't take him as we are, and he's not going to just let us be. I don't know what you want to do, but we need to do it soon."
  Mharbrow looked up at the bigger beast thoughtfully, his face creased in concern at the news.
  "Hmm... I'll think on it. We'll ask Belladonna when she returns. Two heads are better than one... Have some more stew and get some rest. We'll at least need an hour for her to tend the wounded, and you may as well get some sleep."
  Firestripe nodded, scooping another generous portion of stew into his bowl.
  "Yes, Cap'n."
    I have a shiny thing! See?

And another shiny thing:

And also some random, unnecessary coding.[/li][/list]

Long live the RRR!

Ebantu the Kararehe

Belladonna shoved a pawful of dock leaves into her pouch and ran her gaze along the far bank of the fast-flowing stream. She spotted an evening primrose plant flowering beside a small elder bush and instantly began casting around for a way to ford the small torrent. The vixen rummaged in the undergrowth and pulled out a long straight branch; dead, but still fairly sturdy. Belladonna made sure her pouch was secure, took a run up and launched herself out across the water, thrusting the pole into the streambed.
  She had overestimated the extent of her recovery, however, and just past the middle of the stream her grip loosened and she lost her hold on the branch. The cold water, made icy by her panic, clutched at her legs as she scrabbled to climb the far bank.
  "Are you alright, Belladonna?" Grunt called nervously, conscious of the fact that he could well get the blame for anything that happened to the healer.
  Belladonna flung herself onto the flat ground above the rushing water and bit back the angry reply that sprang to her lips. The rat was concerned for her safety, even if the reason was selfish and the question stupid.
  "Yes, I'm fine. I just-" she flinched and doubled up, her paw flying to her mostly-healed wound. "I'm fine." The vixen straightened and swiftly gathered all the evening primrose and elderflowers her pouch could hold. "Right, now to come back over."
  "The branch is snagged just over there," Grunt suggested helpfully, pointing downstream a little.
  "Hmm. Well, if I die, you can console him that it was for a good cause."

Infant Ebby is a smol, out-of-control firebending terror. It's a good thing she's also quite cute.

May the road rise up to meet you.
May the wind be always at your back.
May the sun shine warm upon your face,
And rains fall soft upon your fields.
And until we meet again,
May God hold you in the palm of His hand.

Mara the Wolf

Maut happened to overhear Mharbrow and Firestripe. "If I might say somethin', Cap'n?"
Fursonas:
Riley: Mountain lion, Sonic the Hedgehog
Amara: African wild dog, The Lion King/The Lion Guard
Masika: Eurasian river otter, Redwall
Mara: Wolf, general

shisteer of nothing much

The captain's brow lowered into a frown. His more experienced crewbeasts had made a point of giving the captain and his officer space to let them talk in private, but the fox was new to his crew and he hadn't told anybeast to stay away.
  "I don't entirely appreciate your listening in to our private council, but if you have an idea, I may as well hear it. Go on."

And another shiny thing:

Long live the RRR!

Mara the Wolf

"Apologies Cap'n, but I do happen to know of a few beasts we could recruit, further inland. There's a farming camp a bit further east, a mix of vermin and woodlander. There's also a bandit gang, about 30 beasts strong, but they don't stick to one place too long. Last I encountered 'em, they were about halfway to the mountains we're next to. An' of course, there's my hometown. 'bout a score o' beasts, some of 'em mercenaries."
Fursonas:
Riley: Mountain lion, Sonic the Hedgehog
Amara: African wild dog, The Lion King/The Lion Guard
Masika: Eurasian river otter, Redwall
Mara: Wolf, general

shisteer of nothing much

Mharbrow smiled at the beast. He was helpful, and not entirely brainless. Still, he had no idea what they were up against.
  "They'll be great additions, I'm sure, but Ulrik's crew is huge. We could take every vermin and mercenary in the near vicinity and he'd still have us outnumbered, and his beasts are experienced fighters. We'll send a few groups out to recruit beasts, and that'll be helpful, but we're not going to be able to face Ulrik in the open."
  Glancing up at the sun's position, the fox frowned. Belladonna had been gone long enough to get what she needed, but she hadn't come back yet. With the news Firestripe had brought, he didn't want to leave anybeast alone too long.
  "Sliteye, follow Belladonna's trail and make sure she's alright. Help her back here, and try not to leave too much clue of where you've gone."
  The weasel saluted and scurried off into the undergrowth, leaving the captain reassured. Sliteye was a capable beast. He'd bring the vixen back safely.

And another shiny thing:

Long live the RRR!

Ebantu the Kararehe

Belladonna glanced across the stream at Grunt without moving her head. He was crouching awkwardly by the water, tossing in pebbles and twigs. She smiled inwardly and poked another stick into the fire she had built, sprinkling several more mint leaves into the small, bubbling pot nestled in the embers at the edge. The vixen's ears twitched and she sat up straighter as she heard somebeast approaching through the bushes.
  "Ah, Sliteye!" she called, and Grunt started in surprise, nearly toppling into the stream. "You can tell Captain Mharbrow that I'm living here now. I have crossed this river and thus chosen this spot to be my dwelling place. Farewell."
Infant Ebby is a smol, out-of-control firebending terror. It's a good thing she's also quite cute.

And until we meet again,

shisteer of nothing much

Sliteye grinned, chuckling at the vixen's proclamation. He stopped at the edge of the bank and looked down into the fast flowing current. Turning to rummage in the undergrowth for a stick, the weasel replied.
  "Firestripe's back. 'E brought some intrestin' news, an' the Cap'n doesn't want anybeast strayin' too far from camp. I think I 'eard them mention Ulrik El-Dinbar."
  The beast used his acquired stick to leap the river and smiled at Belladonna.
  "Do ye still want to stay 'ere, or should we brave th' cold an' survive the savage?"

And another shiny thing:

Long live the RRR!

Ebantu the Kararehe

Belladonna's expression lightened at the mention of Firestripe's safe return, then darkened at Ulrik's name. "I'll assume you didn't hear me just now over the roar of the water. This is my home now. I have no wish to die an icy death at the paws of a river." She pulled her pot from the fire and splashed some cold water on the outside to cool it. The vixen wrapped a swathe of her cloak around the pot to protect her paws and sipped the brew, pretending to ignore Sliteye.

And until we meet again,

shisteer of nothing much

Sliteye frowned, sure of what needed to happen, but wanting to have the vixen's cooperation. His Captain had told him to make sure she got back safely, and he'd do it whether or not Belladonna wanted him to. Still, she was bigger than him, and he'd rather carry a beast across a body of water while she wasn't struggling.
  "I don't think it's that cold. Th' Cap'n told me te bring ye back safely. I'll carry ye across, though I 'spose ye kin finish yer tea first."

And another shiny thing:

Long live the RRR!

Ebantu the Kararehe

"Don't even think about it, weasel. It's freezing, and I very much doubt you can lift me." Belladonna took a sip of her tea. "I'll get myself across the river, using that stick you helpfully brought over. But if you really want to be useful, you can carry my bag."
  She stood up and emptied the rest of the tea over the fire, making the flames hiss, then held out her paw for Sliteye's stick.

And until we meet again,

Faclan

With the prisoners sat down Tulian was soon back in the main corsair land home camp settlement thing they had going on. And was currently in the process of slicing up vegetables and other ground grown food. At least his former map maker paws made him pretty decent at this as he was going at a good speed. They weren't all uniform but with how many mouths they soon had to feed with all the new prisoners and, if his big rodent ears didn't deceive him, potentially new recruits - it wasn't like they would notice the carrot slice in their soup was smaller or bigger than anyone elses.

So the rat hummed along to himself as he worked. Trying to keep his mind occupied so he didn't look at the prisoners too much. Or wonder if the hares or some other mean beastie would find them.

shisteer of nothing much

Sliteye nodded and gave the vixen his stick, taking the bag and grinning agreeably.
  "If ye say so. Let's git back an' report to th' Cap'n, eh? Anythin' else ye need, or is it straight 'ome?"

~

Mharbrow frowned, glancing into the trees as he paced. They couldn't afford to lose his navigator and healer. He considered sending some more beasts out to look for her, but dismissed the idea. Sliteye would bring her back, and if he didn't, sending more beasts out to look for her wouldn't benefit-
  A twig snapped, and he heard Grunt's greeting to the perimeter guard. A few moments later, the three beasts came into camp, Sliteye saluting with his usual, casual grin. He was absolutely soaked, and shivering slightly, but he seemed happy, as usual.
  "'Ere she is, Cap'n, safe'n sound."
  The captain smiled despite himself, dismissing the weasel.
  "Thank you. Go get dry. Belladonna, can we talk now, or do you have things to do first. Tulian, get Belladonna and Grunt some food."

And another shiny thing:

Long live the RRR!

Ebantu the Kararehe

Belladonna passed her bag, full of herbs and useful plants, to the rat. "Grunt, put this by my bedroll. Take a pawful of skullcap and rosemary and make some tea for the captain and I, will you?" She turned to Mharbrow. "I can talk now, if you like. How's Firestripe?"

And until we meet again,

shisteer of nothing much

"Firestripe's exhausted, but he's alive, and he brought some prisoners. I'm not sure if Sliteye told you, but Ulrik El-Dinbar is here. Curse that bloodthirsty demon! He's setting up on land, with a large force. Taking out villages and recruiting the survivors as slaves. I don't know if he's aware of our presesnce, but he soon will be. Whatever we do, we need to do it soon. Any ideas?"
  The captain wasn't sure there was anything they could do. At least the arrival of a larger force of pirates on their shores would deter The Long Patrol's attention, hopefully. He glanced over to where Elgon was sitting, chatting amiably with the squirrel. If Belladonna didn't have any ideas, he'd open up to suggestions from the crew. The hare was young, but was also a warrior. Mharbrow wasn't opposed to asking him for suggestions either. Maybe if it was a good solution, it would earn the beast his freedom.

And another shiny thing:

Long live the RRR!