News:

Moderator activity in progress. Please, be patient. ~ Sincerely, The Staff

Main Menu

Ratty Driftwood

Started by Faclan, January 23, 2020, 02:52:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mara the Wolf

Maut, who was keeping watch, nodded back to Mharbrow.
Veach was pacing one edge of the encampment, and thus saw the captain deliver the healer her medicine. He watched Mharbrow, just out of weapon's reach.
Fursonas:
Riley: Mountain lion, Sonic the Hedgehog
Amara: African wild dog, The Lion King/The Lion Guard
Masika: Eurasian river otter, Redwall
Mara: Wolf, general

Faclan

Watching the few that remained of his former crew quickly get cut down and kicked into the grave or join up was a new experience for Tul! Often he was just shifted to a new crew back out on the sea but then again Pirates really taking captives and not just slaves was rare too. So here he and a scant few others were. Closely watched new crew members before they proved their worth. Tul currently poking at the remains of the food the crew had managed to get before nightfall. Before he finally gave up and laid back on some piled up grass. Trying to settle his mind and rest.

-- Woooosh five days later --

Things had thankfully improved since the murder day. All the earth kept the smell away nicely and Tuls new crew haddn't danced on the graves too much and had mainly worked on setting up make shift dwellings and cooking facilities to make their foraging and hunting more successful. Tul himself had spent those days being quickly brought up to speed on the basics of swordfighting and had gotten himself a long mostly sharp dagger to wear around. As well as several small cuts and nicks over his arms and ear from the crew so nicely teaching him how to fight. But he was feeling better as he added some fuel to the cooking fire. He wasn't so much of a burden anymore!

And better yet he had heard that the healer vixen was almost ready to move! Move too he wasn't sure yet. The food around the forest and the dunes wern't the worst but they were safe here. Perhaps the Captain would like to move more inland in search of easier pickings? Hard to tell and Tul was far from the captain to make that decision.

Besides, the dune rovers should be back soon with news. Maybe they spotted that crab again. Hopefully it haddnt nabbed anymore.

Though the dune rovers likely also spotted a ship, a ship many of them could see wasn't a happy Hedgehog trader, that was also approaching the shoreline...

Ebantu the Kararehe

Belladonna glanced around to make sure nobeast was watching before she took a deep breath and sat up, easing her legs over the side of the stretcher and carefully straightening up. A spasm of pain shot through her side and her paw flew to the healing wound, her jaw tightening as she took a slow step forward, then another. She felt her confidence surge and she decided she would make it to the cooking fire, have a quick rest and then go back to her bed.
  The vixen looked around for somebeast to share her triumph, wanting to prove that she would not be a hindrance for much longer. She grasped Sliteye's forearm as he passed her.
  "Where's Mharbrow? Have you seen him recently?"
Infant Ebby is a smol, out-of-control firebending terror. It's a good thing she's also quite cute.

May the road rise up to meet you.
May the wind be always at your back.
May the sun shine warm upon your face,
And rains fall soft upon your fields.
And until we meet again,
May God hold you in the palm of His hand.

shisteer of nothing much

Sliteye, on his way to chat with Silvertongue and maybe hear a song or two, stopped and gave Belladonna a broad smile, his yellowed teeth showing as he stopped to answer the vixen's question.
  "Constellatuns on th' walkin', mate. I think th' Cap'n's talkin' te Maut or somethin'. Nice fox, that. 'Ave yew noticed 'is funny talk when nobeast 'cept Veach kin 'ear 'im? Dunno what it means, but it sounds like a strange language. If ye ask me..."
  Sliteye trailed off as he realised Belladonna wouldn't care what he thought of the fox or his companion.
  "Oh, right. 'E's on th' other side o' camp, just 'side the big sycamore yonder. 'Ave fun wid yer conservation."
  Sliteye trundled off, lute under arm as he continued on his way.

(OOC: Mharbrow was about as appreciative as Greeneye about Silvertongue's constant singing, so he confiscated the lute and put it into Sliteye's safe keeping, as he knows how to look after instruments)
    I have a shiny thing! See?

And another shiny thing:

And also some random, unnecessary coding.[/li][/list]

Long live the RRR!

Shy-Guy

In the week following their capture, Greeneye and Silvertongue has remained at the camp. Greeneye refuses to leave without his friend, and Silvertongue refused to leave without his lute. They had both proven themselves to be somewhat useful, the fox being a sort of jack of all trades.

Not only could Silvertongue sing expertly, but he was a novice herbalist and could even write, given the proper materials. Greeneye had a mind for strategy, not to mention he was skilled in various forms of combat. The two of them were currently sitting near the middle of the camp, whispering to one another.
Wahaoo Haoo! (That's Shy Guy for: 'You're Awesome!')

Mara the Wolf

"Nothin' much t' report, Cap'n Dyemhar, least what ye prob'ly don't already know," Maut reported. "I think the Long Patrol 're watching us; been seeing somebeasts that look bunny-shaped. Mebbe they know we got one'a theirs. An' I think I seen some woodlanders, mebbe a hog, or a fat mole, but they're keepin' their distance, so I leave 'em be. They ain't botherin' us, so why give those flopears any reason t' come after us?" The silver fox glanced up at the night sky a brief moment. Most of the moon and stars were covered by clouds, and the wind was blowing hard. "Also, I think we might be in fer some rain soon."
Veach came up to the foxes, carrying a mouthful of moss.
"Veach, why in Vulpuz's name do ye got that?"
Veach's only response was to lift a hindpaw to scratch his ear.
Fursonas:

Ebantu the Kararehe

Belladonna nodded her thanks to Sliteye and changed direction to head towards the sycamore he had mentioned. She was in a unusually good mood, she thought to herself as she limped carefully along, her eyes searching out and finding Mharbrow. He was, as Sliteye had said, talking with one of the new crewmembers, the silver-furred fox. The vixen wracked her mind for his name but gave up as she neared them.
  Belladonna raised her paw to greet Mharbrow and instantly doubled over as her side twinged again. She stumbled forward a pace and placed a paw on his shoulder to keep from falling, quickly regaining her balance and standing erect.
  "Sorry, Captain," she apologised. "I didn't mean to interrupt like that."
Infant Ebby is a smol, out-of-control firebending terror. It's a good thing she's also quite cute.

And until we meet again,

shisteer of nothing much

The captain nodded slowly, filing the information away. He had his doubts about the bulk of the Long Patrol party still being around and watching. Captain Cardilon would have no hesitation in attacking his camp if he knew they had another hare prisoner, even if Elgon did insist he was the most fearsome pirate in the world and could vanish like smoke on the breeze if he wanted to. The hares had the skill and numbers to do some proper damage, especially if they planned it right. Still, one or two hares could well have been told to keep an eye on them while the rest got back to work.
  As for regular woodlanders, it would make sense that they'd be around. There was a village fairly close and they hadn't all been slaughtered in the pirate attack. Still, the fact they were there didn't mean they were aware of his presence, or his whereabouts.
  "Definitely in for rain. It's looked like that for a good while. Belladonna, good to see you on your paws!"
  The green eyes of the fox smiled as he stood still, letting her stumble and catch herself on him. He knew she wouldn't appreciate too much help. He had a better chance of accepting assistance if he made it look like he wasn't trying to help her.
  "That's alright. We're basically finished here anyway."
  The captain rose from his space on the tree stump and nodded to Maut, then walked around the sycamore and ordered Tulian to get Maut and Veach their dinner, turning back to the creatures and nodding a dismissal to the two scouts before giving the redfurred vixen his full attention.
  "Thank you. Go get something to eat. Anything I can help you with, Belladonna?"

~Sliteye~

Sliteye let a grin split his face as he took a seat beside Silvertongue, passing the lute to the fox and moving his paws up to catch the warmth of the fire in one, expertly smooth movement.
  "'Ow 'bout a song, matey? Wouldn't want yer te git out o' prac'ice. Do ye know Th' Blind Ole Seal?"

And another shiny thing:

Long live the RRR!

Ebantu the Kararehe

Belladonna shrugged. "I guess. I'm hoping to go on a herb forage tomorrow, and I was wondering if there's anybeast you could spare to help me. I'll need to take it slowly, and I don't know how far I'll have to go to find the herbs that I need. Chickweed, ideally, and marigold..." The vixen paused and indicated the handy tree stump Mharbrow had been sitting on a moment ago. "Mind if I sit down for a minute? I don't really want to go back to bed yet, but I don't think I can just stand around much longer."

And until we meet again,

shisteer of nothing much

Mharbrow nodded at the request to use his seat, his thoughts on each of the crewbeasts as he considered which would be the best on to accompany the vixen. Sliteye had a basic knowledge of herbs already, but he had some other tasks to do. Probably Webneck would be the next best option.
  "Aye, go ahead. Standing's good for me anyway, all this land dwelling is giving me a belly." The captain gave his friend a wink, grinning at his own joke. In truth, he had never had problems with gaining weight in his life and food was sparse, so it didn't seem feasible in the near future. "You can take Webneck or Grunt tomorrow morning, whichever you prefer. Maybe even both, I don't care. Do take it easy, though. We should start moving again as soon as possible and that's not happening until you're ready."

And another shiny thing:

Long live the RRR!

Ebantu the Kararehe

"Thank you, Captain," Belladonna smiled and looked up at the sky, amazed by the sheer multitude of stars. A thought struck her and she voiced it aloud, not moving her gaze from the constellations. "Where's Firestripe got to? I haven't seen him recently. Although, I haven't been up and about recently, so that might just be bad observation on my part."

And until we meet again,

shisteer of nothing much

Mharbrow looked in the direction of the sea, then back at Belladonna.
  "He led a scouting party out towards shore. Should be coming back tonight or tomorrow morning."

And another shiny thing:

Long live the RRR!

Faclan

Thankfully already tending to the fire as he had been heating up some of the days soup for the night watchers Tul gave a quick salute and an 'A'ye 'ye ca'pn!'. Before starting to shift and move about to eventually get two pots going over the fire. Stirring them gently as the smell started to seep around the camp. It smelled like leak soup. Not the most filling or the best but hey it was food and something they had. Something they didnt need to stab a mouse for. So excellent!

Setting the one for the night shift on a rock to cool as he headed over to the group with the small pot of soup for Maut and Veach. Nodding at the two with a smile as he held out the stick the pot was hung on.

"Ah' 'ope ta' oh'k we'th js'st 'ta pa't. Bo'ols kn'da sk'nt 'ere."
(I hope your ok with just the pot, bowls are kind of skink here)

Shy-Guy

Silvertongue took the lute from Sliteye, plucking the strings of it. "The Blind Ole Seal, aye? I think your Dad liked that one, didn't he?" The fox turned to Greeneye, only to see him storming away. "Oh, wait. Green! Gree, I'm sorry!"

Silvertongue sighed and shook his head. "Poor Green ended up killing his own dad. He's a bit sensitive about it. Now." He stood up and cleared his throat. "A song!"

Silvertongue started to sing the tune requested, tapping his feet on the ground and twirling about.
Wahaoo Haoo! (That's Shy Guy for: 'You're Awesome!')

Mara the Wolf

Maut raised a brow at Tulian's accent, but thankfully understood most of what the rat said. "Thanks, mate. Veach, spit that out." Maut took the pot and ate straight from the ladle.
The stoat dropped the moss, and plunged his face right into the ladle of soup Maut held in front of him.
The silver fox chuckled and shook his head. "Veach, you pig."

(Faclan, I think you meant scant. Skinks are lizards. And before anyone asks, someone likened Cap'n Slipp & Blaggut's table manners to pigs in an official novel.)
Fursonas: