News:

For some, the heat of summer nears its end. . . And for others, the blooms of spring appear.

Main Menu

Favourite Redwall Covers?

Started by DanielofRedwall, August 10, 2011, 12:57:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Skalrag of Marshank

Yeah, love the Russian ones! Especially the Loamhedge one. ;D
"With great chocolate comes great responsibility."
  ~ Larry Boy

Captain Tammo

Here's a site with a bunch of covers

http://mypeoplepc.com/members/bflobilz/fortmarcanea/id32.html

I personally like The cover with Martin chained up and The Triss cover on the left side.

I think some of them are funny though. Like one of Mossflower shows some mice riding hares as if they were horses and a paper/house cat-looking Tsarmina jumping at them. There's also two of Mattimeo. One shows a paper flat slagar with Mattimeo who looks more like a babe than anything and an Orlando the ax that looks as if he's been hit with a frying pan. The other shows what I'd imagine to be [SPOILER!!!] the white polecat inside of the Malkariss statue. But it looks more like a sack of lumpy potatoes. And which is really funny is that it shows Matthias like "AAAHHHHHHHH!!!! How am I going to defeat something so vicious looking!?"

But the one I really like is the one that folgrimeo showed us of slagar

http://redwall.wikia.com/wiki/File:Fr-mat-vol1.jpg
"Cowards die a thousand times, a warrior only dies once. The spirits of all you have slain are watching you, Vilu Daskar, and they will rest in peace now that your time has come. You must die as you have lived, a coward to the last!" -Luke the warrior

Redwall Musician

I like:

Martin the Warrior (US cover)
Doomwyte (US cover)
Mariel of Redwall (US cover)

I really like all of them, those are just some I could think of off the top of my head.
..."Where courage hides within the shawdows, patience within the storms, friendship in around every corner, and inspiration just outside your window."

Tiria Wildlough

High Rhulain. Also the one of Eulalia (US I think) where Gorath is in Bloodwrath.  8)
When I was in Australia, I had the UK version. In Cambodia, I find the US versions. Funny.
I like the UK ones (I think they are) where there's a character inside a circle.  8)
@Captain Tammo: I saw the one where Orlando looks like he's been hit with a frying pan. I was like, 'WHEN are they going to get it?'
It was funny, though. XDD
My tumblr! not-the-skycat.tumblr.com
I'm not a hipster.

DanielofRedwall

DIShonourable mentions go to these:
German hardcover version of Redwall:

It shows it as if Matthias is the only one brave enough to face Cluny. Note Constance and Basil hiding in fear. Also, none of them are wearing clothes.
German hardcover version of Mattimeo:

I have lots of problems with this one. Slagar's hood is the wrong colour for starters. Also, where are all the other slaves? It only shows Mattimeo (as a baby!). This scene never happened in the book as well. Also, why is Orlando the Axe holding a spiked mace?! His name is Orlando the AXE!
But, by far the worst, is the German hardcover version of Mossflower:
I have many, many, MANY problems with this one, but, I'll just say one. They're riding hares.
All of these covers were done by the same person. No wonder they stopped with him!
Received mostly negative reviews.

James Gryphon

All I can say is that I wish the guy who did those covers had done one for every book, because they're hilarious.

Such a nice modern approach to the covers, with no semblance of reality or adherence to the plot hindering the artist from portraying his vision of the story. ;D
« Subject to editing »

Lutra

Man those Russians did some cool stuff with the covers!  :o

I don't necessarily agree UK>US covers either.  Maybe its because I've grown up with the modern paperback covers (not the rereleases in 2010 or so).  They have their merits.  Those German ones made me laugh...wonder if the artist actually read the story before drawing them?
Ya Ottah! ~ Sierra

Tiria Wildlough

@DanielofRedwall: In the first one, Constance looks like a bear. XD
I almost cringed with embarrassment when I saw the Mossflower one. It is STUPID.  >:( Still, it's funny,  :D
They confused Orlando the Axe with Sunflash the Mace.  :D
I'm not a hipster.

Gonff

Quote from: Lutra on August 13, 2011, 01:58:07 AM
I don't necessarily agree UK>US covers either.  Maybe its because I've grown up with the modern paperback covers (not the rereleases in 2010 or so).  They have their merits.

By the "modern paperback covers" do you mean like this?

Or this?

Or maybe neither? Just trying to figure out exactly what you mean.

And By the "rereleases in 2010 or so" do you mean this?

Going to church doesn't make you a Christian any more than going to a garage makes you an automobile.--Billy Sunday

Tiria Wildlough

The ones with the circle are the modern UK ones, I think.
I like them the best!  ;D
I'm not a hipster.

DanielofRedwall

Quote from: Tiria Wildlough on August 13, 2011, 01:39:43 PM
The ones with the circle are the modern UK ones, I think.
I like them the best!  ;D
Brian Jacques didn't apparently...
And on the UK>US topic, both have awesome covers.
Received mostly negative reviews.

Lutra

Quote from: Gonff on August 13, 2011, 12:29:19 PM
Quote from: Lutra on August 13, 2011, 01:58:07 AM
I don't necessarily agree UK>US covers either.  Maybe its because I've grown up with the modern paperback covers (not the rereleases in 2010 or so).  They have their merits.

By the "modern paperback covers" do you mean like this?

Or this?

The second one of Mossflower.  That would be the version I own.  The only original cover I have like in the first picture is my copy of Redwall.
Ya Ottah! ~ Sierra

Redwall Musician

..."Where courage hides within the shawdows, patience within the storms, friendship in around every corner, and inspiration just outside your window."

Gonff

This might be my favorite kind, but I have only ever seen the Mossflower one like this.

This is the kind that I see most of.

This is my least favorite kind.

When I said:
Quote from: Gonff on August 13, 2011, 12:29:19 PM
I know and I think overall I like the UK ones better. Although, as Folgrimeo mentioned, there are some really cool ones from other countries too.
I didn't mean the modern ones with the circles with animals inside, but the other ones.
Going to church doesn't make you a Christian any more than going to a garage makes you an automobile.--Billy Sunday

Nightfire

I really like both the US and the UK versions of High Rhulain a lot, but I like the US verion the best.

Feel free to send me a private message or visit me at my deviantART, FictionPress, or FanFiction accounts. Message me for account links.