News:

We're doing a read-along of the Redwall series! The current book is The Sable Quean!

Main Menu

AI Dungeon

Started by Kade Rivok, June 19, 2020, 08:51:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kade Rivok

Has anyone here heard of AI Dungeon?  It's a text-based game powered by an AI.  I'll post the creators synopsis below

--------------------------------------------------
Imagine an infinitely generated world that you could explore endlessly, continually finding entirely new content and adventures. What if you could also choose any action you can think of instead of being limited by the imagination of the developers who created the game?

Unlike virtually every other game in existence, you are not limited by the imagination of the developer in what you can do. Any thing you can express in language can be your action and the AI dungeon master will decide how the world responds to your actions.
--------------------------------------------------

The game is still very much a work in progress and the team making it are constantly updating and trying out new AI models to create a better experience.  Basically you start out by either picking a pre-existing setting (Fantasy, Cyberpunk, Zombies, etc.) or setting up a custom scenario, and from there the AI drops you into the game with a brief description of who you are and your current goal, and then you get to do whatever you want from there.  As you play, you can give the AI information for it to remember to try and shape the world you're playing in.  Such as "You're name is Kade."  "You are in Mossflower."  "Mossflower is a large forest."  "Redwall is an abbey situated in Mossflower."  "You have been kicked out of Redwall."  (The last one happened in one of my games -_-)  Now, as I said, this is a work in progress, so the AI tends to mess up some, but it's still highly entertaining.

It's completely free to play, but for paying users (such as myself) there are a few extra features, such as turning up or down the randomness of the responses that the AI generates, and being able to host a multiplayer game!  Note: for the multiplayer, only the one hosting it needs to be a paying user; anybody at all can join a multiplayer game as long as the host provides them with a link.

I've been thinking about trying out the multiplayer option for this and was wondering if anybody would be interested in giving it a shot?  As the host, I can either join as a player, or act as a sort of DM, where I can edit and adjust the AI's responses to make them fall more in line with what the people playing the game are trying to do.  (I'd prefer to act as a DM, at least in the beginning, since I know how finicky the AI can be sometimes.)

What do you all think?
Words!
Writings of a Mad Man

Songs!
Kade's Vocal Emporium

Gaming!
The Noob Combo

Super Special Medals!

Luftwaffles

That sounds really cool! Will give it a go at some point :)
~Please be sure to join us if ever you are passing~.

Having problems joining the board or accessing your account? E-mail us! Have Redwall news or artwork to share? Tweet us!

Rosie Willowwater

Interesting, thanks for sharing this, Kade! Kreg and I tried it out for a bit and made some pretty amusing scenarios, although the AI does have a considerable amount of trouble from time to time. I would definitely be interested if you were to organize a multiplayer game!

Kreg

The multiplayer sounds cool, I'd be interested to join!
You can't spell low IQ without a lot of boogaly (boo-ga-lee)

Come To My Shop!

OooooOOooo, shiny!

Jarky Thistlebrush

The following is a list of things to bring on holiday:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
42 ~ Seb's Humility ~ Seb's toothbrush ~ Seb's soul ~ Half a Plane ~ Your Toothbrush ~ A creeping anxiety every time you look at your toothbrush ~ Pure Terror every time you look at your toothbrush ~ Death every time you look at your toothbrush

I had to move everything off the list but the bare essentials to make way for this:

Kade Rivok

Glad to see there's some interest  ^-^

Quote from: Rosie Willowwater on June 19, 2020, 11:57:48 PM
Interesting, thanks for sharing this, Kade! Kreg and I tried it out for a bit and made some pretty amusing scenarios, although the AI does have a considerable amount of trouble from time to time.

Yeah, it can be pretty finicky sometimes.  It can sometimes get caught in loops where it just keeps doing the same thing, or can misunderstand what you're trying to do and make odd things occur.  And SOMETIMES, it just throws you curve balls making you go "Wait, what now?"

Like, I was playing once where I was walking through a forest and I kept getting attacked by the same kind of creature over and over, and after defeating it again I had my character say to himself "How many of these things are there?" to try and get the AI to do something different.  Since my character was talking, the AI just made another person appear and start talking to me XD.  I was like "Where in the world did you come from?" and he said "I've been with you the entire time."

It can be pretty zany.  BUT, I've gotten better at figuring out how to help the AI along, especially with giving it things to remember.  And, sometimes, it's best to just edit what the AI said to help the game move forward.  Which, if we ran a multiplayer game where I was the "DM", so to speak, I would be able to do that.
Words!
Writings of a Mad Man

Songs!
Kade's Vocal Emporium

Gaming!
The Noob Combo

Super Special Medals!

Jarky Thistlebrush

That would be awesome!
I'd definitely like to give it a try sometime.
42 ~ Seb's Humility ~ Seb's toothbrush ~ Seb's soul ~ Half a Plane ~ Your Toothbrush ~ A creeping anxiety every time you look at your toothbrush ~ Pure Terror every time you look at your toothbrush ~ Death every time you look at your toothbrush

I had to move everything off the list but the bare essentials to make way for this:

Kade Rivok

I meant to say this yesterday, but forgot.  Would anyone be up for trying this tonight, or some time this week?  If so, what kind of setting would people like for us to TRY and be in, and what possible goals or quests?  (Don't worry if you don't have ideas in that regard, I just thought I'd ask  :P)
Words!
Writings of a Mad Man

Songs!
Kade's Vocal Emporium

Gaming!
The Noob Combo

Super Special Medals!

Cornflower MM

I played with this some the other day, I'd be down to mess with it some with y'all! I'm gonna be free in 3 or 4 hours, but I won't be heartbroken if I miss it.

Kade Rivok

Well, shall we try another night then?
Words!
Writings of a Mad Man

Songs!
Kade's Vocal Emporium

Gaming!
The Noob Combo

Super Special Medals!

Jarky Thistlebrush

Rosie Willowwater

Quote from: Kade Rivok on June 22, 2020, 02:18:53 PM
I meant to say this yesterday, but forgot.  Would anyone be up for trying this tonight, or some time this week?  If so, what kind of setting would people like for us to TRY and be in, and what possible goals or quests?  (Don't worry if you don't have ideas in that regard, I just thought I'd ask  :P)

I can definitely do it sometime this week! I'm free most of the time after noon EST.

Kade Rivok

Ok, how 'bout tonight or tomorrow night, starting between 7 and 9 PM CDT?
Words!
Writings of a Mad Man

Songs!
Kade's Vocal Emporium

Gaming!
The Noob Combo

Super Special Medals!

Jarky Thistlebrush

If I don't go to school I might be able to manage it...
How does it work?

Kade Rivok

Well, you don't need to skip school, it isn't that important  :laugh:

In the multiplayer version, people basically take turns doing actions.  Other than that, it works the same as the regular, single player version.
Words!
Writings of a Mad Man

Songs!
Kade's Vocal Emporium

Gaming!
The Noob Combo

Super Special Medals!