News:

For some, the heat of summer nears its end. . . And for others, the blooms of spring appear.

Main Menu

Were the main characters too perfect?

Started by Izeroth, December 15, 2014, 06:16:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Izeroth

This is a big topic of debate among some Redwall fans. On one side of the argument, you've got people who think the main characters are just too darn good at everything (solving riddles, fighting, etc...) While on the other side, you have people who say that the main characters need to have a lot of skills if they want to get anything done, and that they're actually pretty balanced when compared with the main villain.

I'm kind of in the middle as far as physical strength goes. I think BJ might've made some of his main characters less physically powerful, but at the same time, I think lots of strength might've been needed for some situations. The main characters can't all be weaklings, right?

Now, with Mary Sues, I'm afraid that I lean toward the hater side. I think that many characters are Sue-like, and I don't see why they really have to be. The plot could work out fine, as far as I'm concerned, without annoying mammals who know (or seem to think they know) everything, and always look amazing, and are entirely incapable of doing anything the wrong way. I'm not saying all of the characters are like this-- most aren't actually, but the ones that are annoy me.

With moral drones.... they irritate me, to say the least. What is a moral drone, you ask? They're those characters who only do things for the sake of benefitting the good, and never actually do anything to benefit themselves. Basically, they're robots whose only purpose in life is to help the good side. While it would make sense for some characters to be like this, (A nice old abbot, for example, who hasn't anything better to do with his life), it doesn't make sense for everyone to just want to help the good, and not want anything else.

SilentSam

I think that Martin... MARTIN too perfect.
;D~~~~Silent~~~~Sam~~~~Squirrel~~~ ;D
HEHE!

I AM SAM ;D
Cicha sam jest najlepszym redwall znaków!

Søren

I think a lot of them were pretty perfect. Some were really perfect, but lots of times the main villain is so powerful you don't really notice it.

I'm retired from the forum

LT Sandpaw

Maybe, I noticed for example that most badgers are insane along with several other creatures. the thing that really gets me though is chefs and abbey creatures who are peaceful can pick up a broom or a spoon and become unbeatable warriors facing others who have been fighting their entire lives. I know some of the good guys are trained by professionals but the abbey beasts aren't, they had maybe one or two days of training and their fighting better then any vermin that has been training it's entire life.

"Sometimes its not about winning, but how you lose." - John Gwynne

"Facts don't care about your feelings." -Ben Shapiro

Søren

Hahah, yeah. It's not really too realistic when it comes to that.

I'm retired from the forum

Captain Tammo

But that's the fun of it! Sometimes, having that one awesome warrior is what gives the tales a bigger sense of magic. Though I can see why some of you may say that certain characters were sues and may take character development or significance away from others, we should keep in mind that these sort of 'superhero' characters are what made the series. If you wanted to strip that quality away from the stories and make it all as realistic as possible, a lot of the magic would leave, too.
"Cowards die a thousand times, a warrior only dies once. The spirits of all you have slain are watching you, Vilu Daskar, and they will rest in peace now that your time has come. You must die as you have lived, a coward to the last!" -Luke the warrior

The Skarzs

Some characters were Mary-Sues, but at the same time, a lot of villains were ridiculously vicious and evil; it seems like it was a bit of a balancing act. Mariel and Gabool are good examples, Mariel being very Sue-like, and Gabool nearly the point of a demon.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Hickory

eh. Badger lords would be perfect with out to bloodwrath (so technically russano)
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

LT Sandpaw

Consider the dibbun Thumble I think his name was, you know from Salamandastron the one fighting crows ha. or maybe the one friar from the one book that knocked out Graypatch with his apron strings and a vegetable. Its like whaaaat?

"Sometimes its not about winning, but how you lose." - John Gwynne

"Facts don't care about your feelings." -Ben Shapiro

Kitsune

Some of my favorite characters were actually some of the "villains" because their flaws made them more believable and relatable.

Starla1431

Quote from: PluggFiretail on December 17, 2014, 03:02:03 AM
Some of my favorite characters were actually some of the "villains" because their flaws made them more believable and relatable.

Same. It's one of the reason why I like most of the lesser villains. Some aren't all just plain evil nor are they perfectly nice.

Rusvul

Hickory

Admitedly, some characters, like Martin, had to have the majority of their qualities good, since they're a major character and pivotal to the whole series. My favorite non-perfect character was Matthias.
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

Izeroth

Quote from: Starla1431 on January 08, 2015, 05:45:13 PM
Quote from: PluggFiretail on December 17, 2014, 03:02:03 AM

Same. It's one of the reason why I like most of the lesser villains. Some aren't all just plain evil nor are they perfectly nice.

I think Flinky the stoat is a good example of this. Sure, he's with Badredd's horde, and he has flaws, but he's actually a pretty nice character. I wish there had been more vermin (and woodlanders) like him.

Wylder Treejumper

Quote from: Izeroth on December 15, 2014, 06:16:19 AM
This is a big topic of debate among some Redwall fans. On one side of the argument, you've got people who think the main characters are just too darn good at everything (solving riddles, fighting, etc...) While on the other side, you have people who say that the main characters need to have a lot of skills if they want to get anything done, and that they're actually pretty balanced when compared with the main villain.

I'm kind of in the middle as far as physical strength goes. I think BJ might've made some of his main characters less physically powerful, but at the same time, I think lots of strength might've been needed for some situations. The main characters can't all be weaklings, right?

Now, with Mary Sues, I'm afraid that I lean toward the hater side. I think that many characters are Sue-like, and I don't see why they really have to be. The plot could work out fine, as far as I'm concerned, without annoying mammals who know (or seem to think they know) everything, and always look amazing, and are entirely incapable of doing anything the wrong way. I'm not saying all of the characters are like this-- most aren't actually, but the ones that are annoy me.

With moral drones.... they irritate me, to say the least. What is a moral drone, you ask? They're those characters who only do things for the sake of benefitting the good, and never actually do anything to benefit themselves. Basically, they're robots whose only purpose in life is to help the good side. While it would make sense for some characters to be like this, (A nice old abbot, for example, who hasn't anything better to do with his life), it doesn't make sense for everyone to just want to help the good, and not want anything else.

I object! I like moral drones... They are nice.

Plus, calling them drones is not considerate.
"'Tis the business of small minds to shrink, but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death."
-Thomas Paine

"Integrity and firmness is all I can promise; these, be the voyage long or short, shall never forsake me although I may be deserted by all men."
-George Washington

Courage: Not only the willingness to die manfully, but also the determination to live decently.