News:

For some, the heat of summer nears its end. . . And for others, the blooms of spring appear.

Main Menu

Summer of the Samurai Roleplay Sign-Up/OOC Discussion

Started by Tungro, July 25, 2018, 11:32:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tungro

This is how the game works,
You create a character, make sure to include Name, Species, and some background story.
This is a roleplaying game so if you join you will contribute to the story so be prepared for some Redwall style essays. The setting is 50 peaceful seasons after the time setting of The Rogue Crew.

Prologue
Book 1: Strangers
                                                             Prologue
A peaceful evening spring drizzle had found itself over the abbey of Redwall. Scarl, the aged and previous abbot of Redwall, now the gatekeeper, was making his standard rounds of the abbey wall when he saw a figure on the path outside of Redwall. He called down to his constant otter companion Oshaw Riverpaw, he was a younger otter, but a good thinker and was learning swordsmanship lessons from Abbot Wedaln. "Oshaw, get down to the gate and see what this stranger wants, will you!". Pleased at the chance to do something Oshaw ran to the gate armed with a stout stave and a short sword under his cloak. Wertan called down, "Be you friend or enemy?". As the stranger looked up he revealed himself more. Werten could not help starring at the curious creature, he was bigger than the average mouse, had feet like a hare, tall circular ears a long tail. But his robes was even more curious it looked like a light and sturdy material with strange patterns. He called up to the wall top, "I am Hashino the Scholar, and a friend to all. My clan has been destroyed by a band of ferrets. I am seeking a peaceful new home." Oshaw opened the gate a said,"Well come on in I will introduce to our abbot to assess you and if he is satisfied he will have you chores and room assigned if you are interested.". "Thank you very kind young otter, please take me to your abbot." And thus started something no Redwaller had ever dreamed of...
[close]

Idea
The idea is that the stranger that came is a jerboa from the far east (their culture is modeled after japan) who was sent by his clan to find a new settlement because there is a famine in their land. After staying at Redwall for several seasons he slowly gains influence (the abbot is growing old and senile and he takes care of him) and when a dibbun wandering the forrest gets eaten by an adder he tells the Redwallers that his clan has a way to deal with adders so he sends word to his clan to send a score of soldiers to take care of them. They bring gunpowder and kill the snakes in the quarry. The abbot dies and makes him abbot, he makes stricter rules and chores enforced by his score of soldiers. Oshaw incites unrest but before they can act the clan reaches Redwall and brings cannons and rifles (late 16th century style) and in a desperate attemed the Redwallers run away to Salamandastron to get help from the badger lord taking with them some plans for cannons that Scarl secretly sketched after the clans. The bager lord forges several cannons (also a bronze cannon named Sunflash) cannon and eventually there is a big battle.
[close]

Character Template
Character Construction (Example taken from one of @Rosie Willowwater characters)
Name: Laura Riverstone
Species: Otter
Weapons: A small dagger and a sling.
Personality: Usually kind and jovial but if you get on her bad side she will destroy you with all of her might.
Past: She has grown up with her sweet and loving mother by her side since her father died in a gruesome fight against a bloodthirsty rat. It tried to invaid her town when she was just a young girl, barely four seasons old in fact, but thanks to her father's bravery, and what others called stupidity, the rat ran away, but not before throwing her father onto a skyturned blade first, giving him a quick, but painful death. She has never let any rat live since, and is determined to get her revenge.
Appearance: She's what you would call a generic looking ottermaid, with blue eyes, and light brown fur. She also wears a cyan blue tunic and a long flowing skirt with a belt wrapped around to hold the dagger.
Other:
[close]

Jack the Quick Character #1
Name: Busher
Species: Squirrel
Weapons: Valuable curved dagger, wooden javelin
Personality: Prefers to be alone and brood, but if you can get close enough to him he can be funny and upbeat
Past: His family, who used to live deep in Mossflower woods, was killed by searats when he was young, leaving him to die. He survived, and when he grew he attacked and killed the searats who killed his family, taking a valuable curved dagger. He maintains ties with Redwall, though he lives alone in Mossflower.
Appearance: Unusual black fur with a red stripe running from his forehead to his extraordinarily bushy tail. He has deep blue eyes and often wears an iron chestplate stolen from searats on top of his green tunic. He wears a rope belt to hold his dagger and wears his javelin on his back. He wears leather boots and iron greaves overtop of black trousers.
[close]

The Grey Coincidence Character #1
Name: Kunick
Species: Mouse
Weapons: His knitting needles and er- anything within reach
Personality: Mischievous to the point of annoying, loud, 'witty' and over the top (some say he has hare blood in him- he has never denied the rumour) Always willing to pull a prank or make a joke- even if noone else has the patience for it, addicted to knitting
Past: Incorigible since his birth in Redwall Abbey, which incidentally is the only place he's ever been to (because nobeast with any sense of sanity would unleash him upon Mossflower), the only thing his many scoldings had taught him was to knit- which now came to him compulsively
Appearance: Small, thin, with whiskers about as long as a needle each and a pair of large (some would say too-large) buckteeth
[close]

Jack the Quick Character #2
Name: Redtail
Age: 19 seasons (I'm not sure if that's young or old, I might have to change that)
Species: Ferret
Weapons: Before: A rusty broadsword. After: A long curved sword with several jewels in its hilt and a deep black sheath, several small daggers tucked into hs belt and boots.
Personality: Ambitious and cruel; he is a good warrior (in vermin terms) but he is a coward at heart, and he flees if he believes he cannot win.
Past: He has served with many vermin hordes, but he has always deserted them in the end. He meets the samurai on their way to the abbey and attacks, killing one of their own and taking his sword and daggers (the after). He is recruited for his fighting abilities and (hopefully) rises to captain.
Appearance: He is your average ferret, grey with a black stripe, but he has superstition that every time he defeats an enemy, he dips his tail in their blood, hence the name Redtail. He often wears dark green trousers with black boots. He wears a deep black sword belt and sheath across his waist. He is usually bare chested apart from the bandolier that runs across it that carries most of his daggers. He wears a small black metal helm on his head with small holes for his ears.
[close]

The Grey Coincidence Character #2
Name: Katon
Species: Jerboa
Weapons: He commandeers one of the canons. But in close range he's got a katana.
Personality: He is honorable in his own way- that is he give his opponents the chance to run away before firing at them. Cold, distant and not much of a talker. Rather intelligent but also very arrogant.
Past: A member of the Jerboa clan with no qualms whatsoever about sacking Redwall. Because it's good for his clan.
Appearance: Short, wrinkled, old- is fond of scaled armor, which he wears over silk robes. A hygene freak.
That enough?
[close]

Sebias of Redwall Character #1
Name: Bert
Species: Hare
Weapons: A long dirk, lighting fast reflexes, and a saber.
Personality: A rather cheerful chap, always wanting to look on the bright side of things. Can however be very suspicious at times, but once you win his friendship, there isn't anything that could get in his way from helping you. He loves to play the flute. (Even if he's not that good at it)
Past: Grew up in Mossflower woods with his family. When his siblings left and his parents died, he took up traveled the lands. When he arrived at Redwall's gates, he knew that this was a place he could call home. He still lives in the abbey as a sworn protector. Woe to anybeast who wishes harm on his home.
Appearance: Tall and lanky, not unlike most hares. Brown colored fur, and wears a green tunic with a snakeskin belt.
[close]

Jack the Quick Character #3
Name: General Chikaru (I thought that sounded Japanese-ish while staying a little bit easier to remember)
Weapons: Large crossbow, pistol, and a katana.
Personality: Always on the look for new officer or soldier materiel, doesn't like taking prisoners. Merciless in punishment unless he believes he can use them, in which case they often get away without punishment.
Past: He is the top captain in the caln's army, he is second only to Daimyo Yoshiaki. He has his own platoon but he also commands the other captain's platoon's. He is the officer in command of the patrol that Redtail meets. He is also very fast.
Appearance: He is lankier and more muscular than your average Jerboa. He has deep black eyes and ordinary samurai armour with green highlights. His sword had a deep green sheath. He wears his crossbow on his back and he never wears his helmet. His breastplate is adorned with medals. He has a black mustache.
[close]

Thanquol's Character #1
Name: Garlan
Species:  Stoat
Weapons: Longsword and a dagger
Personality: A greedy and arrogant Stoat with a bit of a short-temper. Is also quite fond of looting.
Past: Born somewhere in Mosflower to a large small family, Garlan mostly spent his time working as a sellsword for a few Vermin hordes.
Appearance: A tall and skinny Stoat with a scar running down his left eye. Wears a grey shirt and a green hooded cloak. Also wears an old, faded silver medallion around his neck.
Other: Has a strange dislike for Badgers
[close]

One-Eye's Character
Korath, a large, brutal wearret. uses a crossbow and a massive cutlass. wears a leather tunic and speaks little. When he speaks, it is in a kind of russian accent.
[close]

My Characters
Abbot Scarl
Name: Abbot Scarl
Species: Mouse
Weapons: He is a firm believer that, "The pen is mightier that the sword"
Past: He had served as an elder most of his life then he was appointed Abbott when Wedaln resigned.
Appearance: Small, thin, with no whiskers.
[close]

Wedaln
Name: Wedeln
Species: Squirrel
Weapons: An expert with the sword.
Past: He was appointed as Abbott but soon resigned because "The weight of responsibility was too strong". Most believe however that he truly resigned because he often clashed with the elders over the virtually non existent level of combat training, armory, and tactical studies. After his resignation he became gatekeeper and recorder. In his spare time, he trains anybeast willing in the art of swordsmanship.
Appearance: Tall, muscular, and agile. Under his robes, he chooses to wear a light green gambeson.
[close]

Oshaw Riverpaw
Name: Oshaw Riverpaw
Species: Otter
Weapons: Javilans
Past: Not much is know about his past, but he came to the Abbey about 10 seasons ago. When he arrived, he immediately became Wedaln's constant companion and assistant.
Appearance: Tall, muscular, but slower than the average. He wear a dark brown tunic.
[close]

Hashino the Scholar
Name: Hashing the Scholar
Weapons: Small dagger enclosed in his wide sleeves.
Past: He is the wisest of his clan and arrived at Redwall seeking shelter.
Appearance: Short, but very fast for one of his age and stature. He wears long silk robes and his whiskers are formed in a curious way.
[close]

Daimyo Otomo Yoshiaki
Name: Otomo Yoshiaki
Weapons: An expert with the katan and bow
Past: He is the leader and General of his clan (the Otomo)
Appearance: Tall and skilled. He wears thick medal studded leather armor
[close]

Ashigai
Name: Assegai
Weapons: Short and long katan
Past: He is a rank and file soldier recruited and trained from the clan
Appearance: Wears leather amour
[close]

Officer Kobayakawa
Name: Officer Kobayakawa
Weapons: Short and long katan with bow
Past: He is a high class Samurai officer in charge of 50 rank and file troops. 
Appearance: Metal studied leather amour
[close]

Delthion

We actually already have a whole board devoted to this!

The Roleplaying board in the OOC section is where you want this. ;)

@James Gryphon
Dreams, dreams are untapped and writhing. How much more real are dreams than that paltry existence which we now call reality? How shall we ascend to that which humanity is destined? By mastering the dreamworld of course. That is how, my pupils, that is how.

Tungro

Thanks!

Dannflower Reguba

Welcome to the forum Tungro! Most people around here call me Dann, and I'm the resident RP Board dweller/lurker. It would appear that you have some writing experience as well as some Role-Playing background already, but I would encourage checking out the forum RP rules http://redwallabbey.com/forum/index.php?topic=88.0 and some of the other OOC:'s to get a feel for how we do things (if you haven't already). Other than that, do you have a plot you can share? Character preferences? What should people expect in this RP? And did you mean August 5th? Because It's July 26th today.
"Remember, sometimes is best to be like boomerang and come back." ~ Griffen

Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes. ~ Oscar Wilde

Mistakes can make you grow - That doesn't mean you're friends. ~NF - Remember This

Tungro

Thanks for the tips Dann, My plot idea is actually something me and my three brothers made up some years ago.
The idea is that the stranger that came is a jerboa from the far east (their culture is modeled after japan) who was sent by his clan to find a new settlement because there is a famine in their land. After staying at Redwall for several seasons he slowly gains influence (the abbot is growing old and senile and he takes care of him) and when a dibbun wandering the forrest gets eaten by an adder he tells the Redwallers that his clan has a way to deal with adders so he sends word to his clan to send a score of soldiers to take care of them. They bring gunpowder and kill the snakes in the quarry. The abbot dies and makes him abbot, he makes stricter rules and chores enforced by his score of soldiers. Oshaw incites unrest but before they can act the clan reaches Redwall and brings cannons and rifles (late 16th century style) and in a desperate attemed the Redwallers run away to Salamandastron to get help from the badger lord taking with them some plans for cannons that Scarl secretly sketched after the clans. The bager lord forges several cannons (also a bronze cannon named Sunflash) cannon and eventually there is a big battle.

I know it sounds a bit far fetched but I have been wanting to do this for a while and one day thought it might actually work.  I don't have character preferences but if you want to be a character I have already created please contact me. Expect lost of writing and if you would like you can post drawings,sketches,art with each essay. I know my brother made a pretty good sketch of a clan general that I will have to find.

Dannflower Reguba

I have a couple more recommendations, first being that I would encourage you to open the sign-up a bit more as a lot of the RP'ers will come up with character ideas after the RP has hit its' stride (like hares at the mountain later, or being a member of the clan). Second I would suggest taking a look at some of the RP threads so you know what to expect as far as posts. Post quality shifts from person to person, as well as from RP to RP, we have a lot of capable writers, but the general post length is a decent paragraph (roughly 5 sentences or so). I'm all for bold goals, and detailed posts, but I know that referring to them as essays might turn some potential players away... On a side note, I really like the idea, and would definitely like to participate.  ;)
"Remember, sometimes is best to be like boomerang and come back." ~ Griffen

Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes. ~ Oscar Wilde

Mistakes can make you grow - That doesn't mean you're friends. ~NF - Remember This

Tungro

Thanks for all the tips Dann! I am a little busy right now but I will definitely continue soon.

Tungro

I have returned!!
(Apologies for the double post but I wanted people to be notified that I have returned)

So I am back!
So the main idea for this game is the same. For the role-play posts please make them as detailed as you can. About one paragraph (5-10 sentences) should do. I plan to be Abbot Wedeln and the Clan Scholar. All other positions are open. The instructions, plot, and prologue are in the previous posts.

LET THE GAMES BEGIN!!

(If no one is still interested I am fresh out of ideas)

Tungro

For those who are interested this has been converted to a fanfic,
http://redwallabbey.com/forum/index.php?topic=10825.0
(Feel free to help if you like)

The Grey Coincidence

Profile by the wonderful Vizon.

Also, behold this shiny medal! How I got it is a secret...

Also, also, I am running fanfic conteeeeeests!

Tungro

The Grey Coincidence

Tungro

You put sign up sheet and OCC here, then I will create a game thread.

The Grey Coincidence

I should make one... tommorow... or later today...

DRAGONIS

I want to join. Can I use my OOC sheet, please?  :D